/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I am currently...

S.A.
07-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Hmmmmm....as usual this question popped in my head, so thought of asking u guys... Will be nice if all of u participate. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lyesh
07-01-2007, 05:47 PM
lol... whats the question.. :p

Al-Hanbali
07-01-2007, 05:47 PM
:salamext:

What is the question sister?

'Abd al-Baari
07-01-2007, 05:49 PM
:sl:

Interesting question..i picked working to live :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S.A.
07-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Wow...what a response to my first ever Poll :thumbs_up :enough!:

GUYS..

Its no question.

Just what you are think or do ..live to work? or work to live?

I thught it was very simple and short.:-[

S.A.
07-01-2007, 05:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah2907

Interesting question..i picked working to live :D
May Allah bless u for ur intelligence brother..inshallah u get married and have loads of sweet kids... You are the first one to understand my simple poll. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

The others :raging:

Al-Hanbali
07-01-2007, 05:54 PM

Lol...didnt see the poll, sorry.

doorster
07-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Living to work

otherwise will just work long enough to feed myself and lie down and sleep, like the beasts of jungle

lyesh
07-01-2007, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Muhammad

Lol...didnt see the poll, sorry.

me neither :-[

S.A.
07-01-2007, 06:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lyesh
me neither :-[
No probs sis and bro..:D

S.A.
07-01-2007, 06:27 PM
2 members have chosen living to work..i think that needs an explanation :?

Al_Imaan
07-01-2007, 06:30 PM
well, now its 3...I'm not working to live, so that means I'm living to work...in da future...:D...does that make sense...:p

The Ruler
07-01-2007, 06:31 PM

living to work.

reason: work can be translated into different perpective. for me, work would be giving da'wah as well as working in a clinic or whatever. worshipping is also work. Work done = force applied x distance travelled. i.e. if work wasn't done, we would remain stationary in one place (as force is needed for soething to move) I hope you get where I'm coming from...??? To worship, movement is required. for movement to occur, force needs to be applied; and thus, work is done. so you live to work.

tell me, am i just babbling to myself?

:w:

doorster
07-01-2007, 06:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S.A.
2 members have chosen living to work..i think that needs an explanation :?

I did in http://www.islamicboard.com/782123-post8.html

if working to live was true then my father and many others would have stopped working on their retirement day.

for example Brother Woodrow would not be working here moderating on this site as he does not need to do it to stay alive. we have to work regardless of needing to make a living. if we only work to live then we can't help anyone since we have done enough to live beyond pensionable age but we keep on working till the last breath.

Al_Imaan
07-01-2007, 06:38 PM
^^I agree with them. Their answer is my answer too...lol..:p

S.A.
07-02-2007, 06:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster

I did in http://www.islamicboard.com/782123-post8.html

if working to live was true then my father and many others would have stopped working on their retirement day.

for example Brother Woodrow would not be working here moderating on this site as he does not need to do it to stay alive. we have to work regardless of needing to make a living. if we only work to live then we can't help anyone since we have done enough to live beyond pensionable age but we keep on working till the last breath.

You have presented a different view but not exactly the right one intended here in the poll.

What generally is meant by 'Living to Work' is to work for materialistic things and to satisfy ones career ambitions. People who live to work, put their family as secondary in their life, are hardly satisfied of their professional achievements, and greed for more and more name and fame.

:rollseyes

doorster
07-03-2007, 01:22 PM
that is typical of western and wannbe western, live for now, live for me, life stylers.
But many of them westerners work beyond their normal working hours as well as beyond retirement age.

That is how their charity shops,soup kitchens and homeless shelters are staffed.

One of my children (19 year old) work a 3 day week as paid employee and 3 days at an Oxfam shop for lunch money and bus fare(out of pocket expenses).

BanGuLLy
07-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Working to live... Im broke :(

S.A.
07-03-2007, 01:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BanGuLLy
Working to live... Im broke :(
May Allah bless u...

smile
07-03-2007, 03:15 PM
working to live

tearsofice21
07-04-2007, 04:20 AM
working to live :D too young to think about work yet lol

MustafaMc
07-04-2007, 04:33 AM
I have previously been living to work in that I have tended to think about my work as a cotton breeder a lot after work. I have recently been spending more time and energy at home in my vegetable garden and going fishing. Now I am working to live the life I want, but still thoroughly enjoy the creative aspect of my work.

Intisar
07-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Salaama Alaykum,

To answer your question, I picked working to live. No one chooses to have a job, it's a necessity.

W/Salaam

Nawal89
07-04-2007, 06:11 PM
:hmm: Working to live.
But then I dont have to. Its kinda complicated. :hmm:

doorster
07-04-2007, 06:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena*
Salaama Alaykum,

To answer your question, I picked working to live. No one chooses to have a job, it's a necessity.

W/Salaam
So if there was a choice between getting a job and scrounging of Social Security, scrounging wins hands down? No wonder Muslims are in a state that they are in!
Work is a duty! work is Ibadah!

S.A.
07-04-2007, 06:52 PM
So if there was a choice between getting a job and scrounging of Social Security, scrounging wins hands down? No wonder Muslims are in a state that they are in!
I didnt get ur point doorster...

" No one chooses to have a job, it's a necessity "

So far as the above point goes, very simply, its wrong and i dont agree with it.

Note: my choice is 'working to live.'

doorster
07-04-2007, 07:08 PM
I didnt get ur point doorster...

" No one chooses to have a job, it's a necessity "

So far as the above point goes, very simply, its wrong and i dont agree with it.

Note: my choice is 'working to live.'

My point, sister, is that working is very important for many reasons, whether one needs the money to live on or not, whether one is doing a paid job or not.

Go to cyber counseling forum and read a few threads to see those boys and girls who are asking, please help me, I going to kill my self if my mama wont let me marry that white brother or from a boy who says oh please find me a justification so that I can masturbate and other such rubbish from Idle lay abouts.

In an earlier post I gave example of my child who has 2 jobs over 6 days thus has no time or energy left for thinking of novel ways to commit sins.

also gave example of Br. Woodrow (retired) who works here on this site, I've seen him online more than 10 hours a day some times. but does he have to or needs to do it?

There is another American brother named Yusuf Estes who has not stopped working after retirement and is busy distributing books and videos for free

Intisar
07-04-2007, 07:17 PM
You are taking what I said way out of context. What I meant was, if people didn't have to work to live in a stable home and not just to 'get by' then I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't be such busy-bodies.

doorster
07-04-2007, 07:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena*
You are taking what I said way out of context. What I meant was, if people didn't have to work to live in a stable home and not just to 'get by' then I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't be such busy-bodies.
There was no deliberte intention to do that!

even so, there is no way to make a stable family life without work.

Work is not defined as a 9 to 5 job where one receives a pay check at the end of week/month. work is many things, its teaching our children right from wrong, its volunteering at your local charity shop/soup kitchen/homeless shelter. its removing obstruction from road or path. and much more

S.A.
07-05-2007, 05:36 AM

My point, sister, is that working is very important for many reasons, whether one needs the money to live on or not, whether one is doing a paid job or not.

Go to cyber counseling forum and read a few threads to see those boys and girls who are asking, please help me, I going to kill my self if my mama wont let me marry that white brother or from a boy who says oh please find me a justification so that I can masturbate and other such rubbish from Idle lay abouts.

In an earlier post I gave example of my child who has 2 jobs over 6 days thus has no time or energy left for thinking of novel ways to commit sins.

also gave example of Br. Woodrow (retired) who works here on this site, I've seen him online more than 10 hours a day some times. but does he have to or needs to do it?

There is another American brother named Yusuf Estes who has not stopped working after retirement and is busy distributing books and videos for free
:thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

I agree with what u said.

Its interesting how different individuals perceive work differently.
Personally, im not ambitious with regards to my professional life. I work because how else can i spend my time at home? Reading Quran, listening to lectures, family time, yes these things are there but still u r left with a lot of time where the devil can play its part very well.

Seriously, i take any oppurtunity where i get engage myself for sometime atleast. Helps in a lot of way besides 'receiving paycheck'.

north_malaysian
07-05-2007, 05:42 AM
"Living to work"? I think that is only applicable to robots and machines.

S.A.
07-05-2007, 05:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
"Living to work"? I think that is only applicable to robots and machines.
Surprisingly, even human beings do that.

glo
07-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Wow...what a response to my first ever Poll :thumbs_up :enough!:

GUYS..

Its no question.

Just what you are think or do ..live to work? or work to live?

I thught it was very simple and short.:-[
Hi S.A.

Actually, there more I think about it, the more profound your question seems to become.

I don't think I can answer yes to either of your questions.

'Living to work' seems to indicate that there is only work, work, work, and seemingly no time for oneself. There may be odd days when I feel like that, but not very often.

'Working to live' seems to indicate that somebody only does his/her work to earn a living. I don't feel like that about my job. Most of the time I love my job.

Really, the more I think about it, working and living are very closely connected. I suppose I don't just mean paid work - I mean daily jobs, such as preparing food and cooking, shopping, helping each other, learning etc.
Life without work would be quite meaningless ... perhaps life even is work.

So my own answer would be 'I live and I work, and both is good'

S.A.
07-05-2007, 06:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Hi S.A.

Actually, there more I think about it, the more profound your question seems to become.

I don't think I can answer yes to either of your questions.

'Living to work' seems to indicate that there is only work, work, work, and seemingly no time for oneself. There may be odd days when I feel like that, but not very often.

'Working to live' seems to indicate that somebody only does his/her work to earn a living. I don't feel like that about my job. Most of the time I love my job.

Really, the more I think about it, working and living are very closely connected. I suppose I don't just mean paid work - I mean daily jobs, such as preparing food and cooking, shopping, helping each other, learning etc.
Life without work would be quite meaningless ... perhaps life even is work.

So my own answer would be 'I live and I work, and both is good'

I can understand wht u mean to say, Same is the case for some of the users who have presented their opinion including mine.

You shud go for working to live. Poll.

syilla
07-05-2007, 06:50 AM

I will vote for currently trying to find when would be the best time to do full time volunteer work at home (housework). :D

IbnAbdulHakim
07-06-2007, 04:18 PM
i am working to live

i work to fulfil my needs but my priority isnt my career, if i lived to work it sounds like i live only for work... kind of sad really

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!