/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Yemen bomb kills Spanish tourists

Amadeus85
07-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Yemen bomb kills Spanish tourists

map

At least seven people have been killed by an explosion at a tourist site in Yemen, according to officials.

Six Spanish tourists and at least one Yemeni died in the blast, at an ancient temple complex in Marib, eastern Yemen.

About seven others were injured, reports said, in what officials said was a car bomb attack.

Witnesses reported seeing a vehicle enter a gate at the Balqis temple site before it exploded.

Yemen has faced continuing unrest in recent years, often blamed on al-Qaeda operatives.

The Middle Eastern country's government has been fighting Islamists with the help of US special forces based in Djibouti, on the Horn of Africa.

The victims were reported to belong to a group of around 14 Spanish tourists visiting the site, some 190km (110 miles) north-east of the capital, Sanaa.

Yemeni security sources told Reuters they believed al-Qaeda could be behind the attack, after the group demanded the release of militants jailed in the country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6262302.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cognescenti
07-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Stupid Spaniards! They should get out of Iraq then everything will be fine.

Oh...never mind.

Muezzin
07-02-2007, 07:11 PM
This is terrible. I hope the families of the dead are able to cope with the sudden loss or losses, I hope the injured heal quickly, and I hope the culprits are punished for their crime.

Keltoi
07-02-2007, 08:40 PM
This didn't get much media coverage that I noticed. Hopefully they do find the culprits and justice is served.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ACC
07-03-2007, 01:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti

Oh...never mind.
Is it possible to surrender a second time???

Sad that my motherland is so weak. It will rebound like Real Madrid (hopefully).

north_malaysian
07-03-2007, 03:40 AM

Oh...never mind.
Spaniards have been out of Iraq after the Madrid bombings...

I dont think the suicide-bomber targetting spaniards.... it just that those tourists were in a wrong place at a wrong time.

I've heard that many tourists were kidnapped in Yemen.

Cognescenti
07-03-2007, 05:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Spaniards have been out of Iraq after the Madrid bombings...
Yes...that is the ironic point. We are told in another thread that the Brits are getting what they deserve because of their involvement in Iraq and yet the Spanish left Iraq (largely because of the Madrid bombings) and they are still being targeted. It seems to me it undercuts the entirely calficic and wholly pathetic jsutifications offered for the most recent attacks in Britain.

I dont think the suicide-bomber targetting spaniards.... it just that those tourists were in a wrong place at a wrong time.
Quite right....they were Kuffar in a Muslim country, the poor, trusting fools.

Zman
07-03-2007, 07:25 AM
:sl:

What are tourists doing in a war zone?

The government has been battling militants,

The government has also been battling a "shia uprising,"

The CIA has been targeting militants,

People are fleeing from Somalia to Yemen,

Yemen has a lingering problem with Eritria,

It's not the most stable nation around.

It's unfortunate that they died, but they bare some responsibility for choosing that country to visit, at least at this point in time...

IbnAbdulHakim
07-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Yemeni security sources told Reuters they believed al-Qaeda could be behind the attack, after the group demanded the release of militants jailed in the country.
i wonda if awlaki's there..his in sanaa' right.... :( inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raajiun..

KAding
07-03-2007, 10:15 AM

Oh...never mind.
They are still in Afghanistan though!

Bittersteel
07-03-2007, 11:52 AM
what was the real intention?to kill foreigners only,or to cause trouble in Yemen?

Keltoi
07-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Al-Qaeda in Saudi Arabia tried to do the same thing. Kill non-Muslims in the kingdom and undermine the authority of the Saudi crown. Of course the Saudis came down hard on them and they've been quiet since. This could be a similar situation. An attempt to undermine the government of Yemen and sew discord.

Cognescenti
07-03-2007, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman

Wait..a "Shia uprising: which is not the fault of the US....how could that be?

Yemen has a lingering problem with Eritria
Don't you mean Ethiopia has a problem with Eritrea? Yemen is on the other side of the Red Sea.

It's unfortunate that they died, but they bare some responsibility for choosing that country to visit, at least at this point in time...
Imprudent, I agree. I suspect they were really trying to undermine the government of Yemen.

MTAFFI
07-03-2007, 02:35 PM

What are tourists doing in a war zone?

The government has been battling militants,

The CIA has been targeting militants,

People are fleeing from Somalia to Yemen,

Yemen has a lingering problem with Eritria,

It's not the most stable nation around.

LOL

If we ever face these situations, you'll see these people change their tune, and Justify what they do and condemn what is being done to them.

It'll be more excuse making up the wazoo.

Their level of hypocrisy and double standards are absolutely nauseating...
EXCUSES UP THE WAZOO HUH?:rollseyes

Zman
07-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Don't you mean Ethiopia has a problem with Eritrea? Yemen is on the other side of the Red Sea.

I believe about a decade ago, Eritria, seized some islands in the Red Sea that were claimed by Yemen.

There were threats back-and-forth, and the matter went to an international body to resolve the Eritrian occupation of those islands.

Every-now-and-then, sporadic tensions are inflamed...

Muezzin
07-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Just deleted a couple of posts where members seemed to be attacking each other rather than each other's arguments about the topic.

Cognescenti
07-03-2007, 04:49 PM

I believe about a decade ago, Eritria, seized some islands in the Red Sea that were claimed by Yemen.

There were threats back-and-forth, and the matter went to an international body to resolve the Eritrian occupation of those islands.

Every-now-and-then, sporadic tensions are inflamed...
Huh. I didn't know that. That would be a heck of naval battle...Yemen vs Eritrea :D

north_malaysian
07-04-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm so thankful to God that there is no terrorist attack here.....

wilberhum
07-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Dozens arrested over Yemen attack
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...6C0828FD4F.htm
Yemeni authorities have arrested dozens of people with suspected links to a suicide bombing that killed seven Spanish tourists and two Yemenis two days ago, security sources have said.

Ali Abdullah Saleh, the Yemeni president, and senior officials have suggested the group was behind the car bomb at the Queen of Sheba Temple on Monday.
"Tens of suspects who we believe have links to al-Qaeda have been arrested in three regions, Sanaa, Abyan and Aden," one official said.
A security source said on Monday that the bomber may be one of 13 convicted al-Qaeda members who escaped from prison in 2006, but Saleh said earlier that evidence so far indicated he was a non-Yemeni Arab.

Security sources said the attack came after al-Qaeda released a statement demanding the release of some of its members jailed in Yemen and threatening to take unspecified action.

"Preliminary information indicates that the al-Qaeda organisation is behind the cowardly attack," an interior ministry official told the state news agency on Monday.

Yemen has been fighting a domestic organisation linked to al-Qaeda which includes people on a "most-wanted" list issued by the US.

wilberhum
07-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Clashes follow raids in Yemen

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...315AB052F0.htm

Yemeni security forces have fought with extremists during raids in search of suspects after a suicide bombing killed seven Spanish tourists, a security official said.

One Egyptian has been killed and two Yemeni soldiers were wounded in the gunfight in Sana'a, the Yemeni capital, a security official said.
The Egyptian killed, Ahmed Dewidar Bassioun, was allegedly a member of the Islamic Jihad group in Yemen.

Fifteen people have been detained, including three alleged al-Qaeda members suspected of providing assistance to the group that staged Monday's suicide bombing, the official said.

Ali Abdullah Saleh, the Yemeni president, has offered a $76,000 reward for any information about those responsible for the attack.

On Thursday, a government-sponsored protest gathered some 1,500 Yemenis in the capital to denounce "terrorism" in the country.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.