/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Changing christian name to islamic name

taheera
07-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Assalaamu alaikum brothers & sisters,
I have a revert sister who wants to change her name to an islamic as her name means ' slave to christianty'.

She has found a name that she loves but not sure the meaning and if its a islamic name.
it'l be great if someone to find this out has im having trouble finding it, the name is KHALISAH.:thumbs_up

Jazak Allahu Khair.

Salaam.:)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umu 'Isa
07-03-2007, 12:46 PM
:wasalamex sis :p

I just looked in my muslim name book and it means 'pure, clear' and pronounced like this Khaaliŝah or خالصة

glo
07-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Greetings, Taheera

'Slave to Christianity'??? :?
Can I ask you what exactly your friend's first name was?

Peace

Muezzin
07-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Google 'Muslim Baby Names'

Note: I am not calling your friend a baby :p :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
abhisham
07-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Asalamu alaykum

Make sure she does not change her family name

nevesirth
07-04-2007, 09:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abhisham
Asalamu alaykum

Make sure she does not change her family name
y not? what if her family name also means slave to christianity or something like tht!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

umm-sulaim
07-04-2007, 11:09 AM
^ You still don't change it...

Allaah ta'aala says in the qur'aan:

Call them by (the names of) their fathers, that is more just with Allah. But if you know not their father's (names, call them) your brothers in faith and Mawalikum (your freed slaves). And there is no sin on you if you make a mistake therein, except in regard to what your hearts deliberately intend. And Allah is Ever OftForgiving, Most Merciful. (surah ahzaab - 5)

Ulemaa use this aayah for the person who has reverted and also for the person who's surname/family name may seem contradictin to islaam (we were in this same situation)

Rasoulu Allaah never changed his grandfathers name (Abdul Mutallib) in fact it was reported that he said in a line of poetry:

I am a prophet no lie: I am the son of Abdul Mutalllib

Even though Mutallib isn't one of the names of Allaah, he alayhi salaatu wassalaam never changed it.

This is what we learnt n Allaahu a'lam

wassalaamu alaykum

Malaikah
07-04-2007, 11:14 AM
:sl:

^Sis, does that apply to the types of surnames we have, or does it only apply to the surnames that are based on the fathers first name? :?

umm-sulaim
07-04-2007, 11:39 AM
walakum assalaam wa Rahmatullaah sis

It doesn't only apply to the fathers first name cos Abdul mutallib was the prophet alayhi salaatu wassalaam's grandad his father was Abdullaah, so the hadeeth where he used his grandfather's name shows we don't change our surname. The ayaah shows we don't change our father's name...the only thing we change n Allaahu a'lam is our own name

Malaikah
07-04-2007, 12:24 PM

I thought his full name was Muhammad ibn Abdullah (May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)?:-[ :blind:

umm-sulaim
07-04-2007, 01:19 PM
yh that is his name...but how do u mean sis?
cos he referred himself alayhi salaatu wassalaam as bein the son of Abdul Mutallib as well ...

wassalaamu alaykum

amirah_87
07-04-2007, 01:24 PM

Umm sulaim, I was just trying to recall the hadith on this, but it doesn't spring to mind. Do you happen to rememeber it?
An-Nahiy 'an taghyeer ismul abb?

umm-sulaim
07-04-2007, 02:51 PM
oh yh ^

one who calls himself by other than his fathers name is cursed by Allaah the angels and the all the people, hadeeth ibnu mas'oud and sheikh Albaani declared it saheeh

Pk_#2
07-04-2007, 02:56 PM
wow jazakillah Ray n Amy :D

an brother Abisham.. :)

Peace.

amirah_87
07-04-2007, 04:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm-sulaim
oh yh ^

one who calls himself by other than his fathers name is cursed by Allaah the angels and the all the people, hadeeth ibnu mas'oud and sheikh Albaani declared it saheeh
Yup, that's the one.

Jazaakillaah khayr.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.