/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Asian shop in Scotland gutted, revenge suspected

Muezzin
07-03-2007, 03:37 PM
GLASGOW (Reuters) - Attackers rammed a car into an Asian-owned newsagents near Scotland's biggest city Glasgow on Tuesday and set it ablaze in what neighbours feared was revenge for Saturday's assault on the city's airport.

Police said they believed the attackers had deliberately reversed the car into the shop on Smithycrost Road in the suburb of Riddrie and then set it ablaze. The shop was burned out.

Police said they had no reason to link the incident to the attack at Glasgow airport, in which two men rammed a fuel-filled jeep into the terminal and set it ablaze.

But neighbours were less circumspect.

"It might have been racially done because of what happened at Glasgow airport," said Frank Mattheson, a pensioner, who bought his daily newspaper there.

"I heard bangs and saw flames," said Margaret Watson, a neighbour in a house across the street. "I though it was a huge car accident."

"It is a good neighbourhood. I am here 29 years and I ain't seen anything like this," she said.

British police were holding eight people on Tuesday, at least four of them foreign doctors, over a suspected al Qaeda plot following the incident at the airport and the discovery on Friday of two car bombs primed to explode in London's crowded theatre and nightclub district.

One British security source said two of the suspects were Indian and the rest Middle Eastern.

Alex Salmond, head of the Scottish administration, deplored any such revenge attacks but welcomed the fact there had been few to date. "Any incident will be met with the full force of the law," he told a news conference.

Source

This is insane.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
07-03-2007, 03:42 PM
this is indeed insane, but whats more insane is that i cant stop thinking just how much that jeep must have cost ;o

Muezzin
07-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Whether this was a revenge attack or not, I hope nobody was hurt.

MTAFFI
07-03-2007, 03:49 PM
1) so these were Asian shop owners?
2) Were the guys who drove the truck Asian?
3) Those Scottish and British folk dont play around when people mess in their country
4) sad to see this sort of violence
5) these guys are trying to get back at some terrorists and are becoming terrorist themselves

(random thoughts)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MTAFFI
07-03-2007, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
same here

IbnAbdulHakim
07-03-2007, 03:51 PM
yeah definitly

btw when they say asian do they mean like china asian or?

Muezzin
07-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Since this was written by the Reuters agent in Glasgow, I'm guessing 'Asian' in this context is the British understanding of the word - i.e. Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi etc.

format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
2) Were the guys who drove the truck Asian?
It doesn't say. Indeed, this 'revenge attack' stuff is simply conjecture at this stage, and the police are not saying it is linked.

3) Those Scottish and British folk dont play around when people mess in their country
Well, there's a couple of nutters in every country/community. Whenever something dramatic happens, it's a chance for those few to indulge their stupidity and cause criminal damage and/or hurt someone.

Another possibility is that it was a freak accident, but that seems unlikely given the police are treating it as a deliberate attempt.

Amadeus85
07-03-2007, 04:22 PM
For me it is strange. British police have just managed to stop a massmurder in London, and now you want us to worry about one asian shop destroyed? Of course it is so bad to seek revenge on the whole muslim community, but we should see the perspective.
One damaged shop isnt the worse thing that hapenned today i guess.

Bittersteel
07-03-2007, 04:32 PM
It was one.the attack is similar to the one used by the airport attackers.without doubt.

Amadeus85
07-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Well, those are effects of the multiculturalism. Tensions . In USA it is different because it is a nation made by immigrants, but in Europe such multiculti society is very new for europeans. Europeans are nationalists, and immigrants from different cultures and civilizations dont want to integrate. I predict much mess in the future in Western Europe. I dont want to be a bad prophet but i think that Europe in future will look like Balkans nowadays, where only a spark is needed to burst a conflict.

Cognescenti
07-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Probably a hothead. In the case of the US, the degree of self-restraint and tolerance among the general American population after the national shock of the 9-11 attack was surprising.

Compare the pushback from the 7-7 and 9-11 attacks to the widespread violence over the Pope's misunderstand remarks or the Danish cartoons. I think it is telling.

Amadeus85
07-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Just imagine this kind of situation, christians in Egypt make a bomb attack in Egypt in which 30 people die. After that they try few times to make another serious bomb attacks, but egyptian police stop them.
Just wonder how many churches would be burn and people attacked.
So one attacked shop is rather a not good proof of islamophobia.

Zman
07-03-2007, 05:01 PM
:sl:

How very unintelligent of them...

SATalha
07-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Subhanallah this is what we are trying to avoid. If anyone is intrested LMC is holding and emergany community meeting 2morrow at 6 p.m. The police will be there to discuss the current issues and explain how the communities can help and remain safe inshallah. (LMC is in East London, Whitechapel road)

Bittersteel
07-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Just imagine this kind of situation, christians in Egypt make a bomb attack in Egypt in which 30 people die. After that they try few times to make another serious bomb attacks, but egyptian police stop them.
Just wonder how many churches would be burn and people attacked.
So one attacked shop is rather a not good proof of islamophobia.
are you trying to justify this?I have read countless posts in BBC HYS justifying such attacks.
But this is to be expected of course,it's only natural and you were certainly right what you said about terror attacks occurring in a Muslim nation(in this case Egypt) and the consequences.

Amadeus85
07-03-2007, 05:15 PM
As Bernard Lewis said, there are limits in immigration that cant be crossed, because immigrants woudnt want to integrate. When the number of immigrants is too high, they just dont feel the need to integrate, especially when they share different culture and tradition.

saira-k
07-03-2007, 05:15 PM
yeh i kno.mre racial attacks as wel r hapnin. im so scared cant even go out my own house now on my own nothing. :'( i hate this..

Muezzin
07-03-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm sorry, but what on Earth does Somalia, the Danish cartoons and the misunderstood Pope events have to do with this story?

No more of this off-topic stuff please. I rather think that sort of thing is designed to get a rise out of people, frankly.

I also don't see how this is an integration problem. It's sad that people seem more interested in wanting to argue than worrying whether or not anybody was hurt.

SATalha
07-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Jazakallah Khair

Like i said if anyone from the London region is intrested in attending this meeting you are welcome.

I think as a community we need to make sure that these people are exposed and also ensure that we remain safe as well. Generaly I have seen that people are so ignorant and would attack anyone that looks like a MOslim, like that poor Sikh fellow.

Amadeus85
07-03-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm sorry, but what on Earth does Somalia, the Danish cartoons and the misunderstood Pope events have to do with this story?

I will try to explain you, Muezzin. When danish newspaper showed those cartoons with muslim prophet Muhammad, muslim world was in great rage, people there burned western buildings. After Pope speech we had the same, plus one nun in Somalia killed and church in Gaza destroyed. And after another attempt to make a bomb attack by muslims in England ( this time not succed thnx God, ) people in England rather didnt ran out of homes to attack muslim suburbs or something.
It is the difference.

Muezzin
07-03-2007, 05:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
I will try to explain you, Muezzin. When danish newspaper showed those cartoons with muslim prophet Muhammad, muslim world was in great rage, people there burned western buildings. After Pope speech we had the same, plus one nun in Somalia killed and church in Gaza destroyed. And after another attempt to make a bomb attack by muslims in England ( this time not succed thnx God, ) people in England rather didnt ran out of homes to attack muslim suburbs or something.
It is the difference.
Yes, but the thing is, I'm not trying to say 'Oh, those evil Westerners, look how they overreact, and they say Muslims overreact', all I'm saying is, a bunch of nutters deliberately attacked this shop, and I hope nobody was hurt. That's it. The above stuff seems like a deflection - 'well, Muslims have done worse'. And I'm like 'eh? Where did I go around accusing anybody? Where did this reaction to my post come from?'

See what I mean?

SATalha
07-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Lets hope that these events do not happen anywhere else?

Zman
07-03-2007, 05:27 PM
For me it is strange. British police have just managed to stop a massmurder in London, and now you want us to worry about one asian shop destroyed? Of course it is so bad to seek revenge on the whole muslim community, but we should see the perspective.
One damaged shop isnt the worse thing that hapenned today i guess.

How benevolent of you!

Just remember your words, when Muslims retaliate do to the Wests inhumane and barbaric acts against them.

Do try to see the perspective when acts such as that occur against Christians or Jews.

And, do try not to worry so much about it, either...

Amadeus85
07-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Yes, but the thing is, I'm not trying to say 'Oh, those evil Westerners, look how they overreact, and they say Muslims overreact', all I'm saying is, a bunch of nutters deliberately attacked this shop, and I hope nobody was hurt. That's it. The above stuff seems like a deflection - 'well, Muslims have done worse'. And I'm like 'eh? Where did I go around accusing anybody?'
Ok but creating such topic about one attacked asian shop in Britain, just after a avoided massmurder in London brings conclusion that the most important victims in this are muslim immigrants in Britain. Do You get what i mean ?
BTW, maybe im bit overreacting, but my two younger sisters go to London soon and im pretty worried about that. :(

Amadeus85
07-03-2007, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman

How benevolent of you!

Just remember your words, when Muslims retaliate do to the Wests inhumane and barbaric acts against them.

Do try to see the perspective when acts such as that occur against Christians or Jews.

And, do try not to worry so much about it, either...
If christians in muslim countries had a shop destroyed i wouldnt post this. If it was a church its different then. I hope you get it.

Muezzin
07-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Ok but creating such topic about one attacked asian shop in Britain, just after a avoided massmurder in London brings conclusion that the most important victims in this are muslim immigrants in Britain. Do You get what i mean ?
It's understandable how you reached that conclusion. Honestly though, I just saw this story while browsing the news about the new arrests and thought I'd post it, in addition to the stuff about the new arrests.

BTW, maybe im bit overreacting, but my two younger sisters go to London soon and im pretty worried about that. :(
Godwilling, they'll be safe.

Intisar
07-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Salaams,

First and foremost, I have to say that this is just ridiculous (which is an understatement if you ask me). This is obviously an reaction for the attack which occured days before. Racism in Europe is just crazy, man am I glad I don't live there.

W/Salaam

Amadeus85
07-03-2007, 05:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena*
Salaams,

First and foremost, I have to say that this is just ridiculous (which is an understatement if you ask me). This is obviously an reaction for the attack which occured days before. Racism in Europe is just crazy, man am I glad I don't live there.

W/Salaam
So you worry more about one attacked shop than about stopped tragedy that could happen in London? :? One attack shop is really a horrific proof of racism?

Muezzin
07-03-2007, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SATalha
Jazakallah Khair

Like i said if anyone from the London region is intrested in attending this meeting you are welcome.
Good idea.

I think as a community we need to make sure that these people are exposed and also ensure that we remain safe as well. Generaly I have seen that people are so ignorant and would attack anyone that looks like a MOslim, like that poor Sikh fellow.
The type of people who carry out such attacks are fools who fortunately only constitute a minority of the British population.

Intisar
07-03-2007, 05:47 PM
So you worry more about one attacked shop than about stopped tragedy that could happen in London? :? One attack shop is really a horrific proof of racism?
I am not going to bother with you, sorry. I came to this forum to educate myself about my religion and become a better Muslim and when I get asked stupid questions like this I'm afraid I will say something I may regret. Your intentions don't seem right.

Anyway, I think there should be a sort of meeting held or something to talk about these attacks and incidents. Something to bring the Muslim community together in Britain and to inform the public that they are not condoning any of these attacks. If this attack on this shop was actually a retaliation to the other attack, then surely..they are no better than these 'terrorists.'

Cognescenti
07-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Yes, but the thing is, I'm not trying to say 'Oh, those evil Westerners, look how they overreact, and they say Muslims overreact', all I'm saying is, a bunch of nutters deliberately attacked this shop, and I hope nobody was hurt. That's it. The above stuff seems like a deflection - 'well, Muslims have done worse'. And I'm like 'eh? Where did I go around accusing anybody? Where did this reaction to my post come from?'

See what I mean?
Perhaps, but you aren't the only poster in the thread. To listen to some here there are gangs of skinheads roaming the countryside with clubs and pitchforks yelling...."there's one..get him!"

One poster is calling for meetings to stave off imminent genocial rage among the knuckle draggers..."Generaly I have seen that people are so ignorant and would attack anyone that looks like a MOslim, like that poor Sikh fellow."

Perhaps the title should be "49,999,000 Britains stay home and watch the tele; No shortage of matchbooks seen; Expected run on machetes fails to materialize"

Your post were completely fair, but I think you let emotion get a hold on the delete button :) Anyway...they were just words. Group hug..everyone!

Muezzin
07-03-2007, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Perhaps, but you aren't the only poster in the thread. To listen to some here there are gangs of skinheads roaming the countryside with clubs and pitchforks yelling...."there's one..get him!"

One poster is calling for meetings to stave off imminent genocial rage among the knuckle draggers..."Generaly I have seen that people are so ignorant and would attack anyone that looks like a MOslim, like that poor Sikh fellow."
Except that post was made after the one in which you mentioned the events of Black Hawk Down.

Your post were completely fair, but I think you let emotion get a hold on the delete button :)
I don't think so, considering you had no posts in this particular thread to base the statement upon which you launched a message that had little to do with the topic.

Anyway...they were just words. Group hug..everyone!
Do I look like a Telletubby to you?

Don't answer that.

But seriously, sorry for any feelings I've hurt.

nevesirth
07-03-2007, 06:12 PM
where is the world heading? all these will only lead to more violence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cognescenti
07-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Except that post was made after the one in which you mentioned the events of Black Hawk Down.
<Head explodes due to overload>

Do I look like a Telletubby to you?.
Hey..there is no shame in it. Unless you are the pink one, of course. :-)

Zman
07-03-2007, 06:33 PM

a avoided massmurder in London
What utter sensationalism.

Your comment as those of other non-Muslims, remind me of the black propaganda hype of the move, "Starship Troopers," Nazi Germany, and our own propaganda efforts against the Japanese, during WWII.

that's shameful...

Amadeus85
07-03-2007, 06:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman

What utter sensationalism.

Your comment as those of other non-Muslims, remind me of the black propaganda hype of the move, "Starship Troopers," Nazi Germany, and our own propaganda efforts against the Japanese, during WWII.

that's shameful...
The car with the bomb was placed near a club where more than hundred people were. What if the bomb exploded, as those "doctors " from Middle East planned to ? But yeah , sure, this is no worse than attacking one shop .

nevesirth
07-03-2007, 06:49 PM
seems things are going to change alot with the recent happenings in uk.

nevesirth
07-03-2007, 06:53 PM
The car with the bomb was placed near a club where more than hundred people were. What if the bomb exploded, as those "doctors " from Middle East planned to ? But yeah , sure, this is no worse than attacking one shop .
maybe there was shortage of patients in the uk, thts y the doctors wanted to injure pple inorder for there to be enough customers[patients] 2 treat.lol

jst thot i shld chip in some dark humour, everyone seems so tensed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.