/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Racist remarks, attitudes and looks?

Rosanna
07-03-2007, 09:53 PM
:sl:
Anyone here receive racism of any kind?
I wondered why this is? is it due to the dress, or because of the colour of the skin that automatically means we are muslim?
I am white, so do not get racism of that kind.
But i wondered what kind of of prejudice you recieved?

Thankyou

:statisfie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
nebula
07-03-2007, 10:37 PM
i get racism all the time where i live, i think its to do with the colour of your skin because if a racist person sees a brown person walking down the street they will shout out p*ki even if he isnt one. this basically shows the stupidity of racist people. racism ---- :raging: but i try to ignore it. :thumbs_up

Helena
07-03-2007, 10:39 PM
How to end racism:

An article of One Minute Messages, written by Brother Abdarraouf Shakir

How to End Racism Recent events remind us that racism remains rampant. Yet we can easily end racism through understanding and education.

People must realize that God created all humans from one couple, thus making the entire human race one large extended family. God says:

“O mankind! Be careful of your duty to your Lord who created you from a single soul (Adam), and from him (Adam) He created his wife (Eve); and from the two of them He spread abroad a multitude of men and women…” (Qur’an 4:1).

Furthermore, we must understand that no race is superior to another. We appreciate a garden having many different flowers because we realize that each adds something to the beauty of the entire arrangement. This is why we do not object to the color of any flower. In a similar way we can see the world as a garden decorated with people of different colors. Let us appreciate that each variety of people contributes something to the spice of life in this world. God says:

“O mankind! We have created you male and female, and have made you nations and tribes that you may know each other. Verily, the noblest of you in the sight of Allah[1], is the most pious (righteous) of you.” (Qur’an 49:13) The noblest are the most obedient to God. Such persons may belong to any race or country. What really matters is their conduct and behavior. The prophet Muhammad[2] publicly declared that Arabs are not superior to non-Arabs, and one color is not superior to another. In a day when light-skinned people could not imagine a black person as their leader, the prophet appointed a black person, Usaamah, the son of Zaid, as a leader.

As a result of following these teachings, many people have banished racism from their thoughts and actions. You can still see racial harmony today in the mosques of cosmopolitan cities. You will find people of various colors worshipping together, all with equal status before God. Rich or poor, black or white, king or pauper all line up side by side to worship. No special preference is given to anyone based on color or social status. The leader in a mosque is appointed for his learning in the religious sciences, regardless of skin color. There is no such concept as a ‘black mosque’ or ‘white mosque’. Islam removes such destructive concepts.

Yanal
07-03-2007, 10:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nebula
i get racism all the time where i live, i think its to do with the colour of your skin because if a racist person sees a brown person walking down the street they will shout out p*ki even if he isnt one. this basically shows the stupidity of racist people. racism ----- :raging: but i try to ignore it. :thumbs_up
yeh i agree one person calls me a nerd because i hang out with different people like white people and not cool people all the muslims i know in my class think they r cool

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Star
07-03-2007, 10:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rosanna
I wondered why this is? is it due to the dress, or because of the colour of the skin that automatically means we are muslim?

Thankyou

Yup, where i come from, you constantly get people, calling out names like 'paki' and foul words, i can remember 1 incident 2 years ago, i was playing in the park and a group of white girls came up to me and my friends and tolds us to get out of the park, and go back where we came from, really scary, i also got beaten up by a bunch of girls, racially motivated of course, *still traumatized*, i got away with a few cuts and bruises.

:w:

jzcasejz
07-04-2007, 12:16 PM
As-Salaamu'alikum

^ Sorry to hear about your stories people...:-\ And JazakAllaah Khayr for posting that article LABBAYK... :)

umm-sulaim
07-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Our ends are not too bad alhamdulillaah...but it's funny though as soon as you start gettin into central london....the looks! subhan Allaah. I don't think it's cos of colour though...it's more the hijaab n the Islaam in one (beard, hijaab etc) . Once this guy was like 'Jesus christ....is this the UK?'

Also one of my teachers makes it his sunnah to say something bout Islaam in almost every lesson, once he 'kindly wanted to inform' us that he heard on the radio on his way to work that 60% of mosques in the UK didn't accomodate sisters...he said 'so should the government get involved and liberate muslim women, and give them the rights they deserve?'
I said nah...but if they wanna get involved (n i dunno but personally i'd hate that) they could fund them to make the mosques bigger as a result sisters would be accomodated.
Cos really most mosques in London for example are small...sometimes not even enough for brothers...

You know sometimes i don't blame non-muslims for feelin the way they do towards muslims cos of the few who distort our religion, n people will always be effected by media innit...

.:Umniyah:.
07-07-2007, 11:23 AM
^^ same here umm-sulaim. Living on a small rock like bahamas *nassau* some of these people never came off of this place, they dont know anything besides bahamians and they so called claim to know 'Jesus christ' but seems to me who they really know is the liqour man....anyhow, because of their never leaving this island and only knowing what this island has taught them, when they see us they are like 'whoooooooooa' you know?....some people literally DO NOT know what on earth a muslim is ...im like :uuh: dont you watch the news? and they are like wow ive never seen this before blah blah.....and then you get those ones who are like " what is the bahamas coming to" and then i'll say " i was thinking the same thing" .....or you have the ones who'll say " this is the bahamas we dont cover like that here " so i'll say " we'll thats kindda obvious innit?"...or i'll say " well thats funny you dont because your so called statue of mary do".....and then they'll look like " whooooooooooa they speak" ......SubhanAllah its anonying.

And then you have the little kids when they see us in all black and niqaab and allz that they'll say " mommy look its mary!!" and i'll say to them " im not mary , im muslim, but by Allah thats a compliment" ....or when they see the men in white thobe and allz that theyll say " MOMMY LOOKKKKKKKKKKK ITS GOOOOOOOD! (Astagfirullah)".....they mean look its Jesus. SubhanAllah these people have no insight, they dont know anything because they've only learned in a narrow minded way. So if youre not christian here, you kind of dont even exist.

And then you have those people who when they see us say " Thank you Jesus . YOuve got to know Jesus" ...most times i dont say anything, but subhanAllah ive got a bad temper with these people so sometimes i'll tell them " Stop being a hypocrite before i walked up you was trying to get to know that boy you aren't married to, now allz of a sudden you need to know Jesus".....and they're so shocked that i can talk, they cant even say anything.

But even though its easy to reply with sarcastic remarks ( i mean its easy for me because it comes natural) , it does get anonying, its like youre on an island that is 97% christian and then you have 3% Muslims and no one ever heard of us, so when we go out they are sooo ignorant SubhanAllah. Just bias and perjudice for no reason at all.

Muezzin
07-07-2007, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm-sulaim
Also one of my teachers makes it his sunnah to say something bout Islaam in almost every lesson, once he 'kindly wanted to inform' us that he heard on the radio on his way to work that 60% of mosques in the UK didn't accomodate sisters...he said 'so should the government get involved and liberate muslim women, and give them the rights they deserve?'
Isn't your teacher supposed to keep his own political views out of the classroom? Seriously, that might be grounds for a formal complaint. Unless he's teaching politics.

Sinbad
07-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Yes I do, people get jealous cause an immigrant makes a lot of money. And since im anti islam they are keen to talk to me about "muslim problems". But those "problems" are not about islam but about immigrants from the middle east.

We bash islam then they say that the muslims are commiting crimes, the muslims are taking all the jobs. But they are refering to people like me to, and dont think you notice.

SATalha
07-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Its not as bad as it was back in the days. I remember a time when we used to always have clashed with NF, The East End was a much dangerous place in those days. Once my uncle throat was sliced in his area by the NF (Allhamdulillah his ok). BUt thats the reason why we needed to arm and defend ourselves. The stories my eldrs tell me about how they used to have to carry knives and bats with them all the time. Allot of my uncles and elders used to work till late night and once they finished all of them would have to take knives with them just in case.

But these days if any racist punk wants to try it......ohhhhhh boy

umm-sulaim
07-07-2007, 01:55 PM
sis umniyah

lolz yh i know exactly what you mean...
I'd rather have innocent ignorance over the stuff on our rock anydayz sis...people should try to atleast educate themselves about matters such as Islaam, cos seriously u have people who believe that every muslim is a terrorist or something :rollseyes or the ones who call any brown skinned muslim person 'paki' like nebula said.
One time we were on the tube, some guy got on our carriage when he saw us his face went all weird he jumped off and got on the next one :blind:

Stereotypes uff!

May Allaah guide them.

bro Muezzin

Jazaaka Allaahu khayran

No it's not a politics class, his my sociology teacher and as he is an atheist perhaps i wonder if that's the reason his so anti-Islaam.
You're right akhee, but you know sometimes i don't object to his nonsense cos i want my fellow students to hear what i have to say, so it allows me to give da'wah indirectly and alhamdulillaah some of my class mates are interested in learning more about Islaam and ask me questions after class and stuff....sure his comments are really annoying but khayrun inshaa'Allaah 'as-sabr alal adhaa feeh' patience when harmed/annoyed in da'wah (usool thalaatha )

wassalaamu alaykum

nevesirth
07-07-2007, 01:58 PM
is the topic about racism or islamophobia? thts two different things entirely!!!!!!!!!!!

SATalha
07-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Yes your right there is a distinction there.

umm-sulaim
07-07-2007, 02:13 PM
yh ur right bro nevesirth but the originally poster did ask what other prejudices we were faced with too.

nevesirth
07-07-2007, 02:21 PM
the reason y i dont give the issue of racism much consideration is tht many pple are guilty of racist actions and remarks but they are quick 2 cry foul when they are the target victims of racism by others. racism exists in many communities not excluding the muslim ummah . so ill rather adress the issue of discrimination due to ones belief and not due to the color of ones skin or genotype or race or whtever there is. i so much hate hypocricy. no offence meant, im just airing my views. SALAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From my experience ive realised tht there are two unique types of racists, those who hate or despice you because they feel u are inferior to them and also those who hate or envy u cuz they feel u are superior to them all due to ur racial status. but when it comes to religious discrimination racism is often a result of ones upbringing or environment which leads to prejudice and intolerance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Well i think all topics of prejudice is important, because its all hate related. But the point of this thread isnt about who thinks what part of prejudice is important , or more important than the rest, its meant to share you expriences and stuff like that, so please dont go off topic InshaaAllah.

nevesirth
07-07-2007, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by .:Umniyah:.
Well i think all topics of prejudice is important, because its all hate related. But the point of this thread isnt about who thinks what part of prejudice is important , or more important than the rest, its meant to share you expriences and stuff like that, so please dont go off topic InshaaAllah.
ana asif. i guess i went off point .ok lets continue with the topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:X

Rie_Maya
07-07-2007, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rosanna

Thankyou

I must be the exception to the rule then...

I am white - or gora as many refer to me - which those enlightended ones amongst you will know that this is not a particularly nice phrase!

Worse still - I am seen amongst non-Muslims as a traitor = you could call that Islamophobia if you're into labels.... but not seen as a "true" Muslim as not brought up in Islam to many - not all - "born Muslims"... For example - Marsha'Allah a convert - do we want our family to marry a convert Oh no!!!

Don't get me wrong this is by no means EVERYONE... but over 14 years there have been significant occasions when this IS the case...

Muezzin
07-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Members are reminded that though they are allowed to give examples of the prejudice and discrimination they may have faced, whatever their creed or colour, they are not allowed to actually make racist remarks.

07-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Khair Akhi, no apologies needed, only a humble reminder.

format_quote Originally Posted by nevesirth
ana asif. i guess i went off point .ok lets continue with the topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:X

Ourra-Tul-'Ain
07-07-2007, 08:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SATalha
But these days if any racist punk wants to try it......ohhhhhh boy
;D ^^
then NF yea tell me about it:raging: lots of them where my coz lives.

but alhamdullillah where i live is cool:)
but i was with my cuz in their area, and we was on the bus when 2 drunk men came on the bus saying they was gonna pull our hijabs off and dat. wallahi i was so scared:cry: , but my cuz was running her mouth, some how it helped:rollseyes ,,,,, but all praise is due to Allah:thumbs_up

Praise be to Allah, who promised his faithful slaves victory and support by saying, "And it was a duty incumbent upon Us to aid those who believed."

SATalha
07-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Yah Subhanllah, I remember that happened to a sister right in front of our faces...........:? :skeleton:

جوري
07-09-2007, 06:07 AM
No racism but I meet with many rude people... which is common in NY... the secret is to get a monstrously big car (just don't buy American) because that is a whole other set of probs beyond racism-- and get equally big shades to hide behind... it is very intimidating... if all else fails just smile and flash people your dimples but make it a dark smile ( where people can't figure if you are smiling or being sarcastic) I find that it is the best way to confuse people and while they are busy trying to figure you out ( you can make your grand exit)- in a class room setting ( which is long bygone for me) but I had no reservation whatsoever in telling people off... that teacher of yours would have been deposed and on the news later that evening for such remarks (threaten people with independent media coverage- it shuts them up fast).. I run on very low tolerance, especially for someone posing as a teacher and misleading so many people. .. I'd simply ask him if bull were a part of his curriculum?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.