/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Militant Islam's broad appeal

guyabano
07-04-2007, 08:32 AM
The news that many of the suspects in the failed car bomb attacks in Britain are medical doctors from the Middle East has shocked many and raised questions about connections between class, education and militant Islam.

There is a popular misperception that only the destitute or ill-educated are drawn to the ranks of militant Islamic organisations.

But nothing could be further from the known facts.

It is true that the appeal of political Islam - from the militant to the more moderate versions - is quite strong among the poor, because it promises a just and equitable society free from corruption and oppression.

But the leaders and the middle echelons of such groups are often well-educated middle class men.

The 19 young men behind the 9/11 attacks on Washington and New York six years ago were middle class university graduates or students.

Not to mention, of course, the leader of al-Qaeda himself, Osama Bin Laden, the son of a Saudi billionaire, and his second-in-command, Ayman al-Zawahiri, an Egyptian-trained doctor from a very well-known and respected middle class family in Cairo.

Many of the leaders of Palestinian Islamist groups, such as Hamas and Islamic Jihad, are either medical doctors, engineers or university professors.

And the oldest and most influential movement of political Islam, the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, whose doctrine is blamed for the mushrooming militant groups across the world, is largely an organisation of middle class professionals.

Islamic 'utopia'

Islamist groups are not only transnational in ambition, with members who do not recognise national boundaries, but they also have a wider appeal across the class barrier.

The lure of an Islamic utopia, where justice and virtue prevail according to a puritanical version of Islam, is too strong to resist for rich and poor alike. For many it is an end that justifies any means.

It is an idea that has an enormous appeal for the masses in Middle Eastern states lacking in freedom, social justice and the promise of a fulfilling existence.

It is particularly attractive for young idealists who want to make the world a better place.

While far-left groups during the 1960s and 70s (such as Bader-Meinhof in Germany and the Red Brigades in Italy) justified violence on the grounds they were battling an evil capitalist order, young Islamist militants feel justified in their jihad against what they see as an immoral and oppressive world order.

The lawyers, the engineers, the doctors and the students who once led the struggle for national liberation against colonial powers are again the standard-bearers of a movement that claims to have a cure for all the ills of their societies.

However, some Islamists are more ambitious and believe that their "Islamic utopia" is not only an answer to the problems of their own societies, but for the entire world, including the "decadent West".

Ironically, their global ambition has become all the more visible because of the very global forces they wish to vanquish, including of course America's global "war on terror".

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Basirah
07-06-2007, 05:01 AM
Dear guyabano, the poor do indeed accept radical movements first, mainly because they are in a situation where any change can only go up, because there can be no more negative (because they are so poor). Therefore what the western world must do is try and help many parts of the Islamic world. The Islamic majority countries offer their citizens nothing, so we must instead offer them a reason to live and enjoy the wonders of life.

Changing the world for the better is how the free world must combat extremism which disguise themselves as "freedom fighters".

north_malaysian
07-06-2007, 07:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano

Well.... I dont see this kind of image in countries like Brunei, Malaysia, Senegal or Maldives... so does it mean that militant islam isn't appealing among Muslims in these countries.

guyabano
07-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Well, many aid is already given, and the west make big efforts to reach the hand to muslims. But sad to say, some prefer to refuse and bite the dust than accepting help or the help simply end up in the wrong hands.
As already mentionned in my post, the leaders are always well educated people, while the ones, who execute the orders or play the suicide bombers are usually the poor-educated. And finally, it is also them, who get caught at the end.
I seriously doubt, that an muslim engineer or doctor will sacrify himself in a suicide bombing. They are not 'that' dumb!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
07-06-2007, 07:28 AM
I seriously doubt, that an muslim engineer or doctor will sacrify himself in a suicide bombing. They are not 'that' dumb!
I seriously doubt that an actual Muslim who follows the Koran and Sunna (whosoever they are .. doctors, engineers, farmers, unemployed) would sacrifice himself in a suicide bombing. They know that it's UNISLAMIC to do so.

guyabano
07-06-2007, 07:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I seriously doubt that an actual Muslim who follows the Koran and Sunna (whosoever they are .. doctors, engineers, farmers, unemployed) would sacrifice himself in a suicide bombing. They know that it's UNISLAMIC to do so.
agree :thumbs_up

Bittersteel
07-06-2007, 02:42 PM
not according to everyone no.the environment plays a part too.I am tired of saying Islam is peaceful blah blah blah.But you will find many Muslims justifying terror attacks against Non-Muslims giving the foreign policies of western nations as excuses.
see that line in the article,the decadent west phrase?Many Muslims think they should bomb other Muslims and Non-Muslims in their own countries to get rid of secularism/liberalism and establish Islamic law to bring morality and justice.

guyabano
07-06-2007, 04:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aziz
not according to everyone no.the environment plays a part too.I am tired of saying Islam is peaceful blah blah blah.But you will find many Muslims justifying terror attacks against Non-Muslims giving the foreign policies of western nations as excuses.
see that line in the article,the decadent west phrase?Many Muslims think they should bomb other Muslims and Non-Muslims in their own countries to get rid of secularism/liberalism and establish Islamic law to bring morality and justice.
Is that true? Islamic law? Sharia? Everybody forgotten, what happened under taleban regime?

Women were forced to wear the burqa in public.[4] They were allowed neither to work nor to be educated after the age of eight, and until then were permitted only to study the Qur'an. Women seeking an education were forced to attend underground schools, where they and their teachers risked execution if caught. They were not allowed to be treated by male doctors unless accompanied by a male chaperon, which led to illnesses remaining untreated. They faced public flogging in the street[5] and public execution for violations
out of Wikipedia

wilberhum
07-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Islamic 'utopia'
This has been my hot button for a long time.

Most everywhere I see violence from Militant Islamists; I see demands for an Islamic State.

Any time non-Muslims talks about an “Islamic Country”, Muslims flood it with “There are no Islamic Countries”. Many claim that there hasn’t been a proper Islamic government since Mohammad died.

As some idealistic, religious doctrine, the cry for an Islamic State keeps coming. Total refusal to accept the fact that there Utopia is based in fallacy and is flawed. Men will be running the country. What that country will look like will be determined how those people interpret the Quran. If it is the interpretation of Muhammad Abdul Bari, you will not have the same government that the followers Osama bin Laden’s interpretation will create. When you look at the actions of those groups, I have to ask, “Who would want a government imposed by people that use those tactics?” Are they what I want for god’s representatives here on earth? Maybe you do, but I don’t think so. There is also what I conceder the total illusion that some how the second class non-Muslims are going to love there inferior status.

So, all in all, I conceder the concept of an Islamic 'utopia' one of the scariest concepts in circulation.

At least that my opinion.

Wilber

Zulkiflim
07-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Well, many aid is already given, and the west make big efforts to reach the hand to muslims. But sad to say, some prefer to refuse and bite the dust than accepting help or the help simply end up in the wrong hands.
As already mentionned in my post, the leaders are always well educated people, while the ones, who execute the orders or play the suicide bombers are usually the poor-educated. And finally, it is also them, who get caught at the end.

Salaam,

giving aid does not mena we sell our soul,or our sense of justice.

And the muslim world is the ones who always enter western land but we remain as we are,when asked we answer.

western aid is undesirable right now for it hyprocritical to accept aid from those who say you are evil then give you food.

A good exaple is the Lebanon Isreal war....giving aid to Lebanon while giving bombsw to isreal to kill more Lebanese..

So such aid is best kept to yourself,and it shall be reapaid with no hypricrisy.

NobleMuslimUK
07-07-2007, 01:44 AM
:sl:
This is the kind of hysteria we faced during 9/11, 7/7 etc...
People are all confused and don't know how to deal with it. You can these days name a random event as anything and parade it on TV, voilla everyone falls for it. Due to the fact its so trivial and unexpected and well you think to yourself all the pieces fit.
First off 2 vehicles are found "abandoned" ready to cause "carnage". Luckily the authorities get on top of the situation and what could have been "another 7/7 or worse" is avoided. Add to the drama close down the capital of the country. A lot of peed off people and confused folk, all their plans ruined. Tell them anything as long as its a **** good answer. They thank their lucky stars their day was ruined, they could have not lived to see another sunset.
Then what you get is a cherokee jeep on fire and crashes into the entrance of another countries capital airport. This calls for a "critical terror threat", makes one wonder what the terror threat is called when well you know whats taking place. Back to the jeep on fire, has anyone seen footage of before the jeep got into the position it was in, or is that not shown due to "National Security". So far the footage shows a jeep on fire rammed into the entrance of the airport. Then pictures of a guy in his underpants possibly badly burned (or could be his skin tone) pinned down by the authorities.
I really tried to make sense of all this but it reeks of a dirty set up, by whom well definitely not some Muslim(s).
All this taking place and the new puppet hasn't even made himself at home yet.
How do you intimidate people who are slave to their desires, scare them with the possibility of death.

wilberhum
07-07-2007, 01:50 AM
It always amazes me when people try to minimize terrorism.

Do you think if you stick your head in the sand it will go away?

NobleMuslimUK
07-07-2007, 01:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum

OH its definitely terrorism no doubt about it. It always amazes me that credit is not given where its due.

Zulkiflim
07-07-2007, 02:09 AM

Salaam,

Yes it also amazes me too,...
Especially those who point at other never look at the ill they themselves do..

When you point at otehr you got 3 fingers pointing back at you

wilberhum
07-07-2007, 02:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zulkiflim
Salaam,

Yes it also amazes me too,...
Especially those who point at other never look at the ill they themselves do..

When you point at otehr you got 3 fingers pointing back at you
Three fingers, that's my line. :D
BTW Agnostics don't kill for god. Right now there is one group that has the market cornered on it and it ain't atheists either. :rollseyes

wilberhum
07-07-2007, 02:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
OH its definitely terrorism no doubt about it. It always amazes me that credit is not given where its due.
Head in sand. :?

Zulkiflim
07-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Three fingers, that's my line. :D
BTW Agnostics don't kill for god. Right now there is one group that has the market cornered on it and it ain't atheists either. :rollseyes

Salaam,

Agnostics kill for the very same reason as do the fighters in Iraq and afghan..

For peace and security.

It happen everywhere,no matter what you beleive you fight for your own sake..

for those who fight fro Allah,only Allah knows, the true intent.

Bittersteel
07-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Everybody forgotten, what happened under taleban regime?
did taliban form the only Islamic government in the 20th Century?Isn't there KSA too?well if your knowledge of Sharia goes as far as the history of the taliban and how they applied I am not bothered what you think of it.
Iran is a good example.The Shah,a liberal, there when he still reigned hated the conservatives and didn't care about the poor much.His neglect gave the Islamists much needed power to bring him down.

Zman
07-07-2007, 02:15 PM
well if your knowledge of Sharia goes as far as the history of the taliban and how they applied I am not bothered what you think of it...

:thumbs_up

Bittersteel
07-07-2007, 02:18 PM
look Indians,Israelis and **** it everyone else,it seems like the only knowledge concerning Muslims and Islam they have is about the taliban.
"OMG they stoned women to death!Sharia is barbaric!"
not them only,a lot of Muslims in Bangladesh too.stupid losers them.

wilberhum
07-08-2007, 02:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zulkiflim
Salaam,

Agnostics kill for the very same reason as do the fighters in Iraq and afghan..

For peace and security.

It happen everywhere,no matter what you beleive you fight for your own sake..

for those who fight fro Allah,only Allah knows, the true intent.
But still they don't kill for god. :thumbs_up There seams to be only one group doing that. :?

Zman
07-08-2007, 02:21 AM

Killing is still, killing. Whether it's done for God, country, corporation, organization or individuals...

By your reasoning, you act like any other form of killing, other that which is done for God, is more humane.

Again, a car bomb isn't worse that a B-2 payload dropped on top of your head, or an F16, Apache Gunship, a Battleship firing into a civilian neighborhood or Tomahawk cruise missiles raining down on a people...

wilberhum
07-09-2007, 12:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman

Killing is still, killing. Whether it's done for God, country, corporation, organization or individuals...

By your reasoning, you act like any other form of killing, other that which is done for God, is more humane.

Again, a car bomb isn't worse that a B-2 payload dropped on top of your head, or an F16, Apache Gunship, a Battleship firing into a civilian neighborhood or Tomahawk cruise missiles raining down on a people...
I still find that there is something extra evil about killing for god. :hiding:
I'm not surprised that you don't agree. :confused:

guyabano
07-10-2007, 07:18 AM
I still find that there is something extra evil about killing for god. :hiding:
I'm not surprised that you don't agree. :confused:

I don't really want to fall in your back, but, didn't Bush also pretend 'God told me to attack Iraq'?

Bittersteel
07-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Guyabano,you should observe the Red Mosque militants' statements more closely to understand why there is so much attraction towards what you call Militant Islam.

guyabano
07-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Guyabano,you should observe the Red Mosque militants' statements more closely to understand why there is so much attraction towards what you call Militant Islam.
Well, to be honest I didn't follow the news the three last days, reason: Family-Days and quite busy.
I just heard this morning on my way to office, that the red mosque had been stormed. I didn't read the rest yet !

north_malaysian
07-10-2007, 08:29 AM
...didn't Bush also pretend 'God told me to attack Iraq'?
I wonder why God didnt tell him about the pretzel incident...... :p

Bittersteel
07-10-2007, 12:40 PM
the what incident?
Well, to be honest I didn't follow the news the three last days, reason: Family-Days and quite busy.
I just heard this morning on my way to office, that the red mosque had been stormed. I didn't read the rest yet !
they were causing hell in the music shops,telling women to wear the veil,destroying ***** houses from I what I have read in other forums.IMO they are working against the liberal aspects of the Pakistan society,too extreme.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6281228.stm
^the boss.was it him who tried to escape in the Burkha?

guyabano
07-10-2007, 12:58 PM
the what incident?

they were causing hell in the music shops,telling women to wear the veil,destroying ***** houses from I what I have read in other forums.IMO they are working against the liberal aspects of the Pakistan society,too extreme.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6281228.stm
^the boss.was it him who tried to escape in the Burkha?
Oh booahh !

I just heard in radio this morning, that again women and kids were held as human shields. When will this have an end? imsad

wilberhum
07-10-2007, 04:35 PM
I don't really want to fall in your back, but, didn't Bush also pretend 'God told me to attack Iraq'?
Pretend? I don't think so. I'm sure that he thinks he is so pious that god talks to him all the time. :(

This is just another reason Bush scares the hell out of me. :thumbs_do

Keltoi
07-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Pretend? I don't think so. I'm sure that he thinks he is so pious that god talks to him all the time. :(

This is just another reason Bush scares the hell out of me. :thumbs_do
Bush never said God told him to attack Iraq. That tale was told by a Palestinian official who later took that statement back and stated that Bush didn't mean to infer he talked to God.

wilberhum
07-10-2007, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Bush never said God told him to attack Iraq. That tale was told by a Palestinian official who later took that statement back and stated that Bush didn't mean to infer he talked to God.
Different than my relocation, but what ever, Bush still scares the hell out of me.

Keltoi
07-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Different than my relocation, but what ever, Bush still scares the hell out of me.
You're just jealous of his speaking ability.

wilberhum
07-10-2007, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
You're just jealous of his speaking ability.
Me thinks you put fun to I. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.