/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim-Americans: Did you celebrate independence day?

Dahir
07-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Simple poll question, extended replies are optional.

Personally, I kind of forgot [don't hate me uncle Sam], I ended up spending the first half of the day with my aunt in the hospital, out on town with my dad, and some more time with another aunt. Yeah, I'm a bit old-fashioned, big deal.

My brother and sister on the other hand celebrated with fireworks and friends, I don't know if hot dogs were supplied.

Anyone else?

[I hope this question isn't out of line in any way]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
07-05-2007, 01:57 PM
whats independance day :?

Muezzin
07-05-2007, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
whats independance day :?

And it's also the day (4th July) the USA achieved independence.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-05-2007, 02:03 PM
it was funny when he kicked the alien for smelling like barbeque but that doesnt explain what independance day is :?

oh just read the rest of ur post, lol thanks i see :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zman
07-05-2007, 03:30 PM
:sl:

Sure did...

Bittersteel
07-05-2007, 04:22 PM
I didn't.I am a Bangladeshi.

Cognescenti
07-05-2007, 05:17 PM
It's not a gigantic deal in Southern California any more. Mexican Independence Day (Cinco de Mayo)...now that is a holiday!

Keltoi
07-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I don't think many people even care what the 4th of July means anymore. Now it is firecrackers, beer, and barbacue. Oh well, this will happen when any holiday becomes commercialized.

Muezzin
07-05-2007, 06:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I don't think many people even care what the 4th of July means anymore. Now it is firecrackers, beer, and barbacue. Oh well, this will happen when any holiday becomes commercialized.
Don't suppose the movie helped much either.

Intisar
07-05-2007, 06:13 PM
I agree. It's just an excuse to be wild.

wilberhum
07-05-2007, 06:15 PM
I think you misjudge "many people". :?

wilberhum
07-05-2007, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena*
I agree. It's just an excuse to be wild.
Well I don't expect the Canadians care much about our Day of Independance. :skeleton:

Intisar
07-05-2007, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Well I don't expect the Canadians care much about our Day of Independance. :skeleton:
We had ours a few days ago, and yes, I would care seeing as how we're mini-Americans and half my family lives there.

:D

Muezzin
07-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Though the Canada vs USA feuds are somewhat amusing, especially when presented in the form of 'Due South', I'm thinking it might be better for this particular thread if we don't all go down that road.

MTAFFI
07-05-2007, 07:30 PM
I love Canada I went there a couple years ago, the people were great. Good peaceful people

I know I know off topic, wont happen again

Zman
07-05-2007, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Though the Canada vs USA feuds are somewhat amusing, especially when presented in the form of 'Due South', I'm thinking it might be better for this particular thread if we don't all go down that road.
:sl:

I got a really hilarious Washington Post article about old secret US & Canadian war plans to invade each other (real plans).

The author actually turns the piece into a satire. I think it would be good to break from all this political tension.

Can I submit it here or start a new thread?

Woodrow
07-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Throughout most of my life I celebrated my family celebrated my birthday on the Fourth. So my poor kids grew up thinking the Fourth of July was for me.

I stopped celebrating it when I stopped celebrating my birthday.

It is a good day for us as Americans to stop and think for a few minutes that at one time not very long ago, we were an oppressed nation and we had to fight for our right to exist as a Nation. Perhaps we also should remember that there may be other people in the world facing what we faced in 1776.

Woodrow
07-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Throughout most of my life I celebrated my family celebrated my birthday on the Fourth. So my poor kids grew up thinking the Fourth of July was for me.

It is a good day for us as Americans to stop and think for a few minutes that at one time not very long ago, we were an oppressed nation and we had to fight for our right to exist as a Nation. Perhaps we also should remember that there may be other people in the world facing what we faced in 1776.

Cognescenti
07-05-2007, 11:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

You mean Israel, right? :)

جوري
07-05-2007, 11:30 PM
psychic alert

Cognescenti
07-06-2007, 12:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
psychic alert

I knew you were going to say that.:)

جوري
07-06-2007, 12:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
I knew you were going to say that.:)
Can you guess what I am thinking now? :-[

north_malaysian
07-06-2007, 02:18 AM
I dont celebrate 4th of July because I'm not American!!!!!!! :okay:

(But my father already hoisted both Malaysian and PAS (Islamist party) flags outside our home, and the independence day is on 31st August:exhausted )

siFilam
07-06-2007, 02:22 AM
In The Name of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful
:salamext:

well we kind of did. everybody was home so we had a barbecue. be4 my dad used to take us to see firework but every year its the same routine at the firework shows. its kind of boring.

wasalam
-SI-

MustafaMc
07-06-2007, 02:39 AM
I took my son fishing (we caught 5 fish) and I picked Persian lima beans from my garden.

Cognescenti
07-06-2007, 02:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Can you guess what I am thinking now? :-[
I'm thinking unprintable? Happy 4th to you.

Cognescenti
07-06-2007, 02:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
I took my son fishing (we caught 5 fish) and I picked Persian lima beans from my garden.
Bass? That sounds sublime, sir. The beans grown by your own hand....sublime. Thank you for your poetic interlude. I am overcome by nostalgia (I'm not kidding either).

جوري
07-06-2007, 02:53 AM
I'm thinking unprintable? Happy 4th to you.
You thought wrong! .. I am always urbane!
peace!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-06-2007, 02:55 AM
Nah..just chilled wit my family cuz my dad was off this time..:D Although I do have fireworks sitting around lol.

جوري
07-06-2007, 03:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Nah..just chilled wit my family cuz my dad was off this time..:D Although I do have fireworks sitting around lol.
I live by the water where they do the fire works every year.. I am not too crazy about it, but I must admit they have these golden fire works that blows to look like towering scintillant trees, it is so amazing against the black back ground of the night, if it weren't for all the noise emanating from the people below like a canker on the moment, I'd imagine myself in a mystery dark forest of golden trees-- if only so for a moment or two-- reminds me of the fairy tales my grandmama used to read me when I was a kid.. but that was a life time ago and she was still alive =(
but no I don't celebrate.. glad the day was off though...
:w:

MustafaMc
07-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Bass? That sounds sublime, sir. The beans grown by your own hand....sublime. Thank you for your poetic interlude. I am overcome by nostalgia (I'm not kidding either).
Poetic interlude? :?hmm

Well, my son caught a bass and the rest were bream. God has blessed me with the opportunity to live in the countryside. I have a 30' X 90' (10m X 30m) garden with several varieties each of various vegetables - lima beans, snap beans, cowpeas, sweet corn, squash, okra, cantelope, watermelon, tomato, and sweet pepper. I do most of the outside work and my wife prepares the food for storage by freezing or by canning. Relatively few Americans grow any of their own food anymore and even fewer store any for later use. And yes, I too am a bit nostalgic for the simpler times, but at the same time I appreciate that the "good ole days" involved a lot more work than just running down to the super market and buying whatever one wants. For me gardening is a way to stay connected with my heritage and my ancestors who have passed. Although I am the only Muslim in my entire family, I am a bit sentimental and think fondly of my family.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.