/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Yawning may keep us awake

Ameeratul Layl
07-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Yawning may appear the height of rudeness, but in fact your body is desperately trying to keep you awake, according to research from the US.
Psychologists who studied 44 students concluded that yawning sent cooler air to the brain, helping it to stay alert.
Yawning therefore delays sleep rather than promotes it, the study in Evolutionary Psychology suggested.
The desire to yawn when others do so may also be a mechanism to help a group stay alert in the face of danger.
Chill out
The common wisdom is that people yawn because they need oxygen, but the researchers at the University of Albany in New York said their experiments showed that raising or lowering oxygen and carbon dioxide levels in the blood did not produce that reaction.
Their evidence suggested instead that drawing in air helps cool the brain and helps it work more effectively.
In a study of the 44 students, researchers found that those who breathed through the nose rather than the mouth were less likely to yawn when watching a video of other people yawning.
This was because vessels in the nasal cavity sent cool blood to the brain, they said.
The same effect was found among those who held a cool pack to their forehead, while those who held a warm or room-temperature pack yawned when watching the video.
"Since yawning occurs when brain temperature rises, sending cool blood to the brain serves to maintain optimal levels of mental efficiency," the authors wrote.
"So the next time you are telling a story and a listener yawns there is no need to be offended - yawning, a physiological mechanism designed to maintain attention, turns out to be a compliment."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6268428.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
07-06-2007, 01:07 PM
assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

our nabi sallallahi alaihi wasallaam said that yawning is from the shaytaan :)

jazakAllahu khair sis, really interesting read

Ameeratul Layl
07-06-2007, 01:17 PM
I never knew that. Do you have any proof?

Interesting.

Malaikah
07-06-2007, 01:18 PM
:sl:

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Yawning comes from the Shaytaan, so if one of you feels the urge to yawn, let him suppress it as much as he can, for if one of you says ‘ha’ (the sound made when yawning), the Shaytaan laughs.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3115; Muslim, 2994.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...ng&txt=yawning

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ameeratul Layl
07-06-2007, 01:28 PM
peace
that is so interesting. I know that we are meant to try and surpress it but I never knew it was from shaitaan. Hmmm....I've learnt something new! :) I think that goes to show that we can learn something new everyday...even the most smallest matter. Thanks for the hadith sis.

peace

ranma1/2
07-06-2007, 02:23 PM
how old is this study?
Ive known this for ages.
part of it is increasing blood flow and getting oxygen into your system.

ranma1/2
07-06-2007, 02:26 PM
so if yawning is from satan where does "wind" come from?

جوري
07-06-2007, 02:59 PM
I should have liked to have stuck with my first answer, but for the sake of censorship.. I'll say the latter comes betwixt your crypts of Morgagni!

------
07-06-2007, 08:15 PM
:salamext:

Gud post. ranma1/2, theres no need 2 be so rude.

Muezzin
07-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Yawning keeps us awake? Man, no wonder I find it so hard to go to sleep.

format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2
so if yawning is from satan where does "wind" come from?
Shrek only knows...

peacechaser
07-11-2007, 11:15 AM

I think what is not suggested in the hadith is to open your mouth while yawning. The main part of yawning is when your body absorbs a lot of oxygen into your lungs, through nose. What you have to supress is the process after that, the opening mouth.

We also need the scientific reason why the opening mouth is not suggested, if based on hadith. BTW jazakallah khayr, I don't need to doubt myself everytime I'm yawning.

:w:

Malaikah
07-11-2007, 11:29 AM

Why do we need the scientific reason? :?

جوري
07-11-2007, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peacechaser

I think what is not suggested in the hadith is to open your mouth while yawning. The main part of yawning is when your body absorbs a lot of oxygen into your lungs, through nose. What you have to supress is the process after that, the opening mouth.

We also need the scientific reason why the opening mouth is not suggested, if based on hadith. BTW jazakallah khayr, I don't need to doubt myself everytime I'm yawning.

well perhaps every time you yawn and open your mouth, you should follow it with
A3ooth billah min alshytan arajeem...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.