/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Any writers?

AhlaamBella
07-06-2007, 10:10 PM
:sl:

Just wondering if there were any writers here. I've always loved writing anything but I've recently decided I want to make a career out of it.

So anyone else who likes writing?

:w:

Sis Khad

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
07-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Being a student of history I've written plenty of lengthy papers, but I've never considered writing a book. The amount of research it requires to write a worthwhile book on any topic has kept me from pursuing writing outside of academic papers.

snakelegs
07-06-2007, 11:19 PM
muezzin just had something published.

جوري
07-07-2007, 02:54 AM
I love writing and have a bazillion prose/poems on a site called "poetry.com"
it is free to write, you can win contests and on the long run you can even publish...
http://poetry.com/
I don't know anything about a career out of it though, to be honest I think it is much more enjoyable as a hobby, like working with stain glass or painting... but that is just me... I'd love to read some of your writing though insha'allah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AhlaamBella
07-07-2007, 12:16 PM
I've always enjoyed writing, and now I'm off to college in September InshAllah I've been at a loss of what career I want. Then my form tutor suggested something related to a hobby. Writing! :D

Muezzin
07-07-2007, 12:33 PM
If you'd like to get things published, check out Ralan. It's a great resource for magazines and anthologies which accept submissions etc. Libbon is a new short story magazine based in the UK. If you just want to work on your craft with the input of other writers, I recommend Writing.com.

If you're serious about becoming a full-time writer, you'll need an agent - Preditors and Editors is a useful resource that lets you know which literary agents are reputable and which are not.

What kind of things do you write?

AhlaamBella
07-07-2007, 12:56 PM
JazakAllah Bro for those sites!
I write literally anything, Short Stories, poetry, essays, long stories...anything!

جوري
07-07-2007, 03:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DeepOcean
I've always enjoyed writing, and now I'm off to college in September InshAllah I've been at a loss of what career I want. Then my form tutor suggested something related to a hobby. Writing! :D
How about journalism? I don't see many Muslims journalists, I wonder if they are simply not interested? or this sort of career is limited to people who are going to echo the sentiment of corporate media instead of being an independent? I wish you the best sis whatever you decide on insh'Allah

Muhammad
07-07-2007, 04:08 PM
:sl:

I think LI has quite a few writers, and I believe some of them have come together and made a blog to help teach and spread the wonderful message of Islam.

Whatever career you go into, one of the most important things is to do something that you will enjoy and something you are suited to. And before you make the decision, also check the nature of the career. It may not be as easy to publish a book as you think it is. So try to research and get as much advice as possible Insha'Allaah.

This used to be a site for Muslim writers I believe, but I'm not sure where it's disappeared to: http://www.qalamonline.com/

Another site which might be of use is this: http://www.allexperts.com/cl2/2764/A...ities/Writing/
It has help for many different subjects, writing being just one of them. I think it's quite good for information about publishing and career advice.

Also check: http://www.lulu.com/uk

AhlaamBella
07-10-2007, 01:55 PM
JazakAllah Kheir for the links. I have cnsidered journalism in the past, but I despise the way they can't respect a person's privacy. So maybe a featured journalist...not sure.

Re.TiReD
07-10-2007, 02:02 PM
:sl: sis..Writing is a great hobby and interest...mainly poems lately but in the past it was stories etc I got as far as ten chapters of a novel and then gave up....Its now lost somewhere in the depths of my email inbox :X lol but yeh...If you got the talent...then go for it Insha'Allah! :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.