/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New 7 Wonders of the world

mohammed farah
07-09-2007, 05:25 AM

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Maidah
07-09-2007, 05:55 AM
^^^ what happened to the pyramids?????:uuh: i bet most ppl haven't heard of that thing in peru (not to say that it isn't beautiful) but the pyramids soooo deserve to be in the 7 wonders.

mohammed farah
07-09-2007, 05:56 AM
The Pyramids of Giza, was officially taken out from the list because of the request from Egypt.

glo
07-09-2007, 05:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maidah
^^^ what happened to the pyramids?????:uuh: i bet most ppl haven't heard of that thing in peru (not to say that it isn't beautiful) but the pyramids soooo deserve to be in the 7 wonders.
Did you participate in the vote, sister?

I quite like all the choices made - they certainly represent many different cultures, ages and continents.

I agree that there are many amazing and fantastic places in this world, but only 7 could be chosen ...

I wonder (pun not intended ;)) why the 7 Wonders of the World have to be man-made? What about natural wonders?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
07-09-2007, 06:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohammed farah
The Pyramids of Giza, was officially taken out from the list because of the request from Egypt.
What request from Egypt? :?

Maidah
07-09-2007, 06:01 AM
^ why did Egypt wanna take it out, it would just promte their tourism? What's wrong with being a part of the 7 wonders?:?

mohammed farah
07-09-2007, 06:01 AM
They wanted to keep theyr place in the old 7 wonders of the world

Maidah
07-09-2007, 06:03 AM
maybe this is a stupid question but is there a ''new'' and ''old'' 7 wonders? :confused:

mohammed farah
07-09-2007, 06:08 AM
Lol yes....the giza is the only one left that still exist today.

The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World
The Great Pyramid of Giza
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
The Colossus of Rhodes
The Pharos of Alexandria

Reason why egypt pulled out
Some in Egypt see it as competition to the status of the Great Pyramid of Giza, the only surviving monument of the original Ancient Wonders. "This is probably a conspiracy against Egypt, its civilization and monuments," wrote editorialist Al-Sayed al-Naggar in a leading state-owned daily.[8] Egyptian Culture Minister Farouq Hosni said the project was "absurd" and described its creator, Weber, as a man "concerned primarily with self-promotion".[8] Nagib Amin, an Egyptian expert on World Heritage Sites, has pointed out that "in addition to the commercial aspect, the vote has no scientific basis."[8]

After the complaints from Egypt, the pyramid was given special status and removed from the voting list. From the Web site: "The New7Wonders Foundation designates the Pyramids of Giza — the only remaining of the 7 Ancient Wonders of the World — as an Honorary New7Wonders Candidate, and removed it from the voting."[9]

In Brazil there was a campaign Vote no Cristo (Vote for the Christ) which had the support of private companies, namely telecommunications operators, that stopped charging voters.

Tania
07-09-2007, 06:10 AM
Taj Mahal - the sacre place of love:D :sunny:

Maidah
07-09-2007, 06:14 AM
^^ seen now it makes sense:statisfie . In that case i think that was a good thing for Egypt to do, now it is the only renowned ancient wonder left.

JazakAllah for the info

glo
07-09-2007, 06:18 AM
These are the seven wonders of the ancient world:

• The Great Pyramid of Giza
  • The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
  • The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
  • The Temple of Artemis at Epheus
  • The Mausoleum at Hallicarnassus
  • The Colossus of Rhodes
  • The Lighthouse of Alexandria

See http://ce.eng.usf.edu/pharos/wonders/list.html

The historian Herodotus (484 BC–ca. 425 BC), and the scholar Callimachus of Cyrene (ca 305–240 BC) at the Museum of Alexandria, made early lists of "seven wonders" but their writings have not survived, except as references. The earliest extant version of a list of seven wonders was compiled by Antipater of Sidon, who described the structures in a poem around 140 BC:

I have set eyes on the wall of lofty Babylon on which is a road for chariots, and the statue of Zeus by the Alpheus, and the hanging gardens, and the Colossus of the Sun, and the huge labour of the high pyramids, and the vast tomb of Mausolus; but when I saw the house of Artemis that mounted to the clouds, those other marvels lost their brilliancy, and I said, 'Lo, apart from Olympus, the Sun never looked on aught so grand.'

– Antipater, Greek Anthology IX.58
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_W..._Ancient_World

al-muslimah
07-09-2007, 06:24 AM
Well the best and greatest wonder of the world that should be at the top of the list is none other than the holy Ka'bah in makkatul mukaramh don't u think so.I mean it is ancient after Ibrahim(as) built more 1000 years ago.

Maidah
07-09-2007, 06:55 AM
^ that totaly makes sense sis. Maybe they haven't added it there because it is a place of worshipp and is sacred and so should not be presented in this way. But i would love to know the real reason why it isn't there?

AmarFaisal
07-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Assalamoalaikum Bro,

Wouldn't it be nice if u added some history on the old and new wonders of the world? I mean if u have time.

BTW, why do we need to reselect the wonders of the world, why can't we have just the same 7 all along.

yigiter187
07-09-2007, 09:09 PM
hagiasophia (istanbul-turkey) must be in the list...it is a real wonder...very sorry not see it in the list..

Muezzin
07-09-2007, 09:17 PM
I tend to like the wonders presented, though they would be infinitely improved were they to include:

Mother puss bucket...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.