/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Life's ingredients found in universe

root
08-24-2005, 01:47 PM
The molecular building blocks of life had already formed by the time the universe was only a quarter of its present age, new observations by NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope reveal. The research bolsters the case for extraterrestrial life and may shed light on the nature of galaxies in the early universe.

News does not come much better that this................ The ray of hope that life is unique to our planet gets dimmer and dimmer.

Source: http://www.newscientistspace.com/article.ns?id=dn7754

Detecting these complex molecules such a long time ago really suggests it's not crazy to think about life in another solar system or galaxy

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
imaad_udeen
08-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Whywould we 'hope' that life is unique to our planet?

I think it is impossible to believe that we are the only life in the universe.

The universe is massive and sceintists have discovered other planets which possibly have the same ecosystems we have. Considering the almost infinate number of planets and solar systems in this universe it seems highly unlikely that we are it.

Bittersteel
08-24-2005, 03:55 PM
I believe life outside Earth and its a fact now, not in aliens though.

Halima
08-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Salaam,

You know Abdul I believe that there is in fact life outside of the earth, because in Mars there is evidence of life. I am speaking of "plant life". There are little pricklets of plants growing and think about this, without oxygen there would be no life. Without oxygen there would be no plants. Although, I definetly do not believe that there are aliens living in outer-space. I used to think that aliens existed when I was just a little kid. Scientists NEVER EVER proved that there were aliens that have existed. It's all just a theory. There's a fine line between a theory and the truth.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Labaik Ya Allah
08-24-2005, 04:26 PM
:sl:

is there ne quranic proof that there are other planets

:w:

Halima
08-24-2005, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Labaik Ya Allah

I don't know about the quranic proof that there are other planets but I do know that there is a scientific proof that there's one planet that is very very close to Pluto and it's like 123,000,000,000,000, light years away. In scientific notation that will be like 10 x 1.23 to the 14th power. Sorry I don't know how to write exponents on the keyboard. :-[

Labaik Ya Allah
08-24-2005, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Halima
I do know that there is a scientific proof that there's one planet that is very very close to jupiter and like 123,000,000,000,000, light years away. In scientific notation that will be like 10 x 1.23 to the 14th power.

what do u mean

Halima
08-24-2005, 04:36 PM

what do u mean

There is scientifc proof that there is another planet that is very close to Pluto and its a million light years away.

Labaik Ya Allah
08-24-2005, 04:38 PM
yea i no what ur sayin but still dont under stand what u mean mean by light years

Halima
08-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Ok, Well i'll explain it to you.

In space scientists go by light years. Every star has light that shines. The shinier the star the younger the star is. The duller the star, the farther away and the older it is. Some stars are so far away that it's a billion light years away. The fact that it is so far away is why we use "scientific notation". Scientific notation estimates approximately how far the star is virtually away from the earth. Meaning that it has been shining for a billion of years ever since that star has been formed from dust and gas. Another example is the sun. It takes the sun 8 minutes for light to reach earth every single day. When one says that the star is a million of miles away all you have to do is use scientific notation to find approximately how far away it is.

Uthman
08-24-2005, 04:51 PM

yea i no what ur sayin but still dont under stand what u mean mean by light years
Light years is a measure of distance. Take a look here (<-- Click)

EDIT: Halima already explained!

The universe is massive and sceintists have discovered other planets which possibly have the same ecosystems we have.
Take a look at this verse:

065:012
It is Allâh Who has created seven heavens and of the earth the like thereof (i.e. seven). His Command descends between them (heavens and earth), that you may know that Allâh has power over all things, and that Allâh surrounds (comprehends) all things in (His) Knowledge.

Seven earths. I would take it to mean that there are other planets like our own, unless someone like Ansar comes and corrects me.

Muezzin
08-24-2005, 05:13 PM

Huh? Use your eyes and a telescope man! :p

root
08-24-2005, 05:17 PM
The speed of light is as he has implied. It is the distance covered within one year travelling at the speed of light. I think stars that are billions of light years away implies that we are looking at the universe back in time, hundreds of light years is more managable as recent, though this in itself is a blink of an eye some claim.

I beleive the Quran claims a scientific miracle for deciphering the speed of light once science calculated the actual speed.

Life on mars is not as yet a fact, so I doubt any notion of plant life being present is highly unlikely and again nowhere close to being factual yet.

without oxygen there would be no life.
This is an old and false beleif & the same applies to water.

Regards

Root

Bittersteel
08-24-2005, 09:49 PM
I beleive the Quran claims a scientific miracle for deciphering the speed of light once science calculated the actual speed.
no it wasn't a miracle I think.

err..how??

root
08-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi Guys,

I would like to clear up a few things:

Quote:Root

Quote:Abdul Aziz
err..how??
This is in reference to life without oxygen, to which our planet once had no oxygen. Life currently exists that do not use oxygen.

Meet "Methanogen" - They get by without oxygen and no help from sunlight, for a complete list of known Methanogen's use this link:

http://methanogens.pdx.edu/

Labaik: i dont believe life exists on mars but who wants to believe init its thier choise init
I kind of agree with your statement. The only issue I have that people who beleive there is life on Mars should not claim it as a fact. Personally, I do subscribe to life on mars but it is only a high probabilty and not a fact at this current time. There is "Evidence" of a microbe fossil found in a rock originating from mars, but the problem is that to gain the magnification to see the "fossil bacterium" the rock had a mico ammount of gold coated onto the sample, tests showed that such a micron covering could replicate what they were claiming as a fossilised mircobe, leaving it inconclusive and requiring better evidence to which has not yet been brought forward.

Labaik Ya Allah
08-25-2005, 11:43 AM

okey and if u guys wannan believe there is life on mars its probly the people that got sucked in by the bermuda tringle :D

root
08-25-2005, 12:41 PM
okey and if u guys wannan believe there is life on mars its probly the people that got sucked in by the bermuda tringle
Hi Labaik,

I presume you either don't care for an opinion on the matter or you beleive that the Mars is void of life. I wonder if it is the latter you may expand why you propose life does not exist on mars.

Regards

Root

Labaik Ya Allah
08-25-2005, 01:36 PM
im not sayin thier no life on mars im jus sayin its not a fact and i dont believe it
and the bermuda tringle is a opening to mars its like the door to mars

root
08-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Labaik Ya Allah - im not sayin thier no life on mars im jus sayin its not a fact and i dont believe it
Sounds fair to me. And I am in agreement that life on Mars has not been established as a fact.

czgibson
08-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Hello,

That's an interesting theory! :)

Peace

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-26-2005, 12:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Huh? Use your eyes and a telescope man! :p
Muezzin is right in that we should remember that the Qur'an is a book of guidance, not a tool for space exploration.

I would appreciate it if members could stay on topic and keep the thread serious. And if you make a post and then wish to add another comment/statement/question, please edit your original post. Do NOT re-post. Posting several consecutive posts is considered spamming.

JazakumAllahu khairan.

Bittersteel
08-26-2005, 06:33 AM
nah don't believe it.heard this before but that's ridiculous.
Allah referred to Himself as the Lord of the Worlds.

Root:Thanks .Methanogen ...interesting.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.