/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Morocco ...

IslamicGadgets
07-10-2007, 07:29 PM
:sl:

Would any one know if Morocco has Halal food?
Cities like Marrakesh, Agadir ...

Its a Muslim country.

Just thinking of going there - Would i have to be careful?

Jazaks , :D

IslamicGadgets.com

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
amirah_87
07-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Wa alaykum as salaam,

If it's a muslim country I guess the food there is halal. Although I wouldn't know cause i haven't been there. But from the muslim countries that ive been to.. all i know is the food there is 100% halal wallaahu a'lam.

InshaAllah, if you're in luck Brother Woodrow would notice your thread and respond to it. He knows alot about Morroco mashaAllah. :thumbs_up

*Take it awaay Uncle*

Woodrow
07-11-2007, 10:33 AM
:w:

Morocco is one of my favorite countries. However, it does have resstaurants and other places that are not Halal. The least halal cities are Tangiers(Tanja), Casablanca and Kenitra. They very nice cities and worth a visit, but they have also fallen victim to the tourist trade. If you are fluent in Arabic, Stay in the Souk districts and all should be Halal. Marrakesh is very much halal and is not influenced by the tourist trade. I believe you will find Fez to be the most Islamic, if you get a chance to visit it. Another Excellent city is Larache, not far south of Tangiers (Tanja). It my opinion it is one of the cleanest and most Beautiful cities in the World. I really don't recommend Rabat, unless you spend your time in one of the 3 older Walled sections called "Medinas" by many of the people. they are ancient souks and have the feel of the old Morocco. The best place to visit in Rabat Is Hassan tower. (La Tour de Hassan) it is also used as a Mosque (or was when I was last there)

Woodrow
07-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Hassan Tower.

It is actually the Minerat of a Masjid begun in 1196 CE but is still uncompleted. The interior is used as a Masjid and it is huge. On the inside there is a ramp leading to the top. the ramp is large enough that you can ride a horse to the top. I was told that one of the early Rulers of Rabat would often do that and watch the city from up there on Horseback.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
07-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Agadir I do not recall too much about. The last time I was in Agadir was shortly after the Earthquake that destroyed much of it in 1959 or 1960 if I remember. Most of the old Arabic/Berber sections were gone. The Portuguese section was pretty intact and I actually saw very few Muslims there. Nearly everybody I met was either Portuguese or French

I should Mention that the Southern part of Morocco (South of Meknes) has a very large French population. From what I understand they are not considered citizens so do not get counted in the official census, but they have been there for centuries and have many wineries. One of Moroccos largest exports is wine. French is spoken by nearly everybody in Southern Morocco although the official language is Arabic.

North of Meknes Spanish is widely spoken along with Arabic. Tanja(Tangiers) is like a seperate country. It is purely International and I found that nearly every resident of Tanja speaks at least 4 languages, Arabic, French, Spanish and Russian. a good many also speak English. But I have also found German speaking and Chinese speaking sections in Tanja. I would classify Tanja as being full of many haram activities. It is or was a very popular place for Spanish College students and Russian soldiers on leave. To stay Halal in Tanja stay in the Arabic speaking sections.

S_87
07-11-2007, 12:33 PM
:sl:

like just about everywhere else in the world youll have to find out individually if the meat is halal.

IslamicGadgets
07-11-2007, 10:22 PM
:sl: :)

Jazaks for all you replies !

It looks beautiful from the pics ... :sunny:

Brother Woodrow - Some really helpful info :thumbs_up

Wasalam.

IslamicGadgets

Woodrow
07-11-2007, 11:09 PM
:w:

Morocco really is beautiful. the climate is nearly identical with California. The fruits grown there are unbelievable. Especially the figs, dates, and citrus fruits.

You have to try the Cous-cous. I've had cous-cous in many places but never seen such a wide variety as they serve in Morocco. The Mint Tea is a tradition.

The sea coast is not all that good for scenic beaches much of it is rocky cliffs similar to Maine. Very near to Tanja are the caves of Hercules. Quite interesting. for many thousands of years the people there have been mining the sandstone to make lamps, bowls and grindstones. Very fascinating.

The cities I recommend most are Fez, Meknes, Marrakech, Laroche (also spelled Larache), Tetouan, and if you get a chance some of the small mountain villages in the Atlas Mountains.

Tetouan boasts 320 days of sunshine a year with average temperatures of 35°C in summer and 22°C in winter. The fully equipped marina has luxurious 5 and 6 star hotels, along with amazing restaurants, clubs, pavement cafes, markets, snake charmers and night life.

Most sports can be found in the surrounding areas including skiing, winter sports and hunting in the Atlas Mountains. Golf, hiking, shooting, archery, windsurfing and even camel riding in the Sahara desert are some of the many attractions on offer.

Tetouan is a centre for trading in agricultural products such as grain, citrus fruit, livestock, crafts and vegetables, and industries include the manufacture of soap, cigarettes, matches, flour, textiles and other building materials together with printing, cabinet-making and fish canning.

The old part of Tetouan town is where the streets and alleys wind around under large arches opening onto small squares alive with activity. Hassan II square is situated at the point where the old and the new parts of town meet and it is the heart of the city. Each street or alley has its own trade, typical examples being weavers, jewellers, gunsmiths, leather and crafts. Country ladies wearing striped clothing and wide brimmed straw hats arrive in the early morning to sell butter, honey, herbs and vegetables.

It is a good idea to have an official guide around the town to learn something of the intriguing history which would otherwise be unknown.

Tetouan has many monuments including a fort and several mosques, fountains and the Khalifa's old 17th century palace but restored and renovated in 1948. There are also two museums, a college of fine arts and a school of Moroccan art.
Source: http://www.propertyshowrooms.com/mor...nformation.asp

To get a good feeling of the true Islamic Morocco, find a guide to bring you to the old town section of Tetouan. It is very safe and the people do live with high Islamic standards but the streets in the old town are small, winding and often unnamed. Very easy to get lost.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.