/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question

Noddy
07-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Salam brothers and sisters.

Im not sure where i should post questions but if its in the wrong place, please forgive me.

Is Qawwali harram?

Why i ask, because they relate to islam alot during their qawwalis.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salaam
07-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Assalamu alaikum,

what is Qawwali?

by the way welcome to the forum......

snakelegs
07-17-2007, 11:31 PM
the answer you will get here is that it is haram because it uses musical instruments.
qawwali zindabad!!!! :X

snakelegs
07-17-2007, 11:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salaam
Assalamu alaikum,

what is Qawwali?

by the way welcome to the forum......
sufi music of pakistan and india.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SATalha
07-17-2007, 11:38 PM
With these sort of things, i tend to stay away as much as possible. One thing we always have to ask ourselves, is was this something that Rasul (peace and blessings be upon him) practice? Did the Sahabas do it?

With most of these things you will find that no! These things where not practises. BUT doesnt mean to say that they are Haraam, its just best to stay away from it. Read this hadith inshallah it will clarify by the very words of our beloved Rasool (peace and blessings be upon him):

“Beware of newly-invented things, for every newly-invented thing is an innovation and every innovation is a going-astray.” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, who said it is saheeh hasan).

snakelegs
07-18-2007, 12:18 AM
correct me if i'm wrong. i don't think that in this case the prohibition would stem from "bid'ah" (though some say the sufi practices are themselves bid'ah), but from the prohibition by some scholars of musical instruments, with the exception of a certain kind of small drum.

SATalha
07-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Look this is where confusion begins, thats why i say anything new and your not sure about it, best to stay away. Like the Hadith suggests.

At the end of the day ask yourself, what are we hear to do? Worship Allah and praise him? am i write. Now the way we worship him and invoke him has all been told to us. These intense Dhikr and stuff are just add ons, your Islam will not be inhanced by it. The reason why i say this is bcoz there is no evidence to suggest that by chanting Allah-hu on its own will gain you any reward. Rather when you say Subhanallah, Allah-hu-akbar and Astagfirullah, then you will gain rewards because this is backed by evidence and our Rasool (peaece and blessing be upon him) always with every breath used to utter Astagfirullah.

When you start saying Bhidah? and start looking at well is this a good innovation? Thats when things start to get complicated. Keep it simple and you will find that sometimes doing to much is a bad thing.

doorster
07-18-2007, 01:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
correct me if i'm wrong. i don't think that in this case the prohibition would stem from "bid'ah" (though some say the sufi practices are themselves bid'ah), but from the prohibition by some scholars of musical instruments, with the exception of a certain kind of small drum.
salam

It is not because of music per say, that I stay away from these things.

as you said it is a sufi tradition (that stems fro grave worship). It is done all over India and Pakistan every Thursday night like clock work at place they call khanqah, or darbar. and also on anniversaries of those "saint" births/deaths and are called urs mobarak.

and you will also be aware that some of your favorite qawals have expanded into film industry including Hollywood and Bombay.

wasalam (and peace)

snakelegs
07-18-2007, 01:09 AM
ok, i understand. and yes, there have been some qawwals whose music was used in hindi films, tho i'm not sure it was always with the permission of the qawwal.
i don't do any practices. i just love the music.

Yanal
07-18-2007, 01:25 AM
:sl: :sl:
Brothers and sisters i am very embarced about asking \this question tha tis related to this question somehow can i sing songs just like if i am riding a bike alone and to pass time can i sing a song that is clean meaning no swear words

SATalha
07-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Ya Akhi dont feel shy to ask a question. I do the same thing, but what i try to do is recite quranic ayas instead. Sometimes i find myself singing nasheeds? I try 2 incorporate some durrushoriff, like Subhanallah, Allah-hu-Akbar an Astagfirullah. Try to do this with the intention of gaining reward. Every 1 knows the benefits of doing dhikr.

Noddy
07-18-2007, 11:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
ok, i understand. and yes, there have been some qawwals whose music was used in hindi films, tho i'm not sure it was always with the permission of the qawwal.
i don't do any practices. i just love the music.
Very much agree, the words are touching.

Thanks for your views everyone.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.