/* */

PDA

View Full Version : forgetfullness during salat

doodlebug
07-18-2007, 07:46 PM
assalam alaykum

Ok I forget things a lot lately. Dunno why, just how it is.

For example, this morning I was in the middle of fajr and I totally forgot whether or not I made wudu. I think I did but I honestly cannot remember.

Do I need to redo it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
F@tim@
07-18-2007, 10:25 PM
In these sort of situations you have to follow your conscience (don't know if thats spelt right!). In other words, if you are absolutely positive that you had wudhu then it is right to leave it and not repeat. But if you have more doubt then it is better to repeat your salaah.
Many times it is Shaytaan who puts doubts into our heads to waste our time.
But Allah is Most Forgiving.

Allah Knows Best!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-18-2007, 10:46 PM
^^Yea it happens to me. Sometimes I'll get so side tracked in my salah that i forget a few words or forget whether I performed a rakat :X. So if ur really unsure, its prolly better to repeat the salah or wudu.

InToTheRain
07-18-2007, 10:53 PM
:sl:

Where in doubt its best to redo the whole thing, so I would do wudhu and pray again Insha'allah.

I also have this info if it helps Insha'allah

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi' that Salim ibn 'Abdullah said, "I was with 'Abdullah ibn 'Umar on a journey and after the sun had risen I saw him do wudu' and then pray. So I said to him, 'This isn't a prayer that you normally do.' He said, 'After I had done wudu for Subh, I touched my genitals. Then I forgot to do wudu. So I did wudu again and repeated my prayer.'

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
07-19-2007, 12:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
^^Yea it happens to me. Sometimes I'll get so side tracked in my salah that i forget a few words or forget whether I performed a rakat :X. So if ur really unsure, its prolly better to repeat the salah or wudu.
Oops... i think you have to finish up your salah. I don't think you can stop doing salah without a good reason.

Maybe someone can help me here. Or InshaAllah i'll try to find you the daleel. I've it but it is in malay language, but i've to check it again whether they used strong daleels.

Intisar
07-19-2007, 12:53 AM
That happens to me alot, and what I do is think about it and retrace what I did for the whole day. If I really feel that I did not break my wudu, then I go and pray. I do wudu just in case though.

syilla
07-19-2007, 01:25 AM
Question
Recently, I started praying 5 times a day. Sometimes when I am doing wudu I get confused and think that I left something out and I should start all over again or continue doing my wudu? Also when I pray sometimes I make a mistake, should I stop praying and start all over again or should I continue praying? Thank you.

Answer
In The Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

"It seems to me that you are suffering from a condition called waswas or whispering. In this case, because it is a chronic one, you should simply ignore it. Once you make the niyyah or the intention and you have made wudu', that is it and you don't have to repeat wudu'.

Likewise, once you have made your niyyah and tried your best to pray, that is enough. You don't have to worry about the whispering or doubt. Ask Allah to grant you concentration in Salah."

You can also read:

Driving Away Satanic Whispers

Allah Almighty knows best.

source

syilla
07-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Question
As-Salamu alaykum Brothers,

For some months I have been having a problem with waswas in both my prayers and when performing wudu. I have been having difficulty concentrating when I am praying and the littlest thing distracts me.

I feel I have to pronounce every thing clearly that even my niya for wudu and prayers, I have to keep repeating until I feel I have done it correctly, then I start praying. The more I concentrate on my pronunciations the more I keep repeating, when reciting suras.

It has reached a point where I am making sajdah as-sahu for every single prayer because my mind keeps going blank or I feel I have done something wrong.

When making wudu', I feel like I have not washed properly. I keep washing my hands. I try to ignore these whisperings but I am terrified that if I ignore it and I am wrong, that my prayers will not be answered. My prayers have become merely a ritual without any khushoo because of these problems.

I have read books and other answers given to people suffering form the same problem, some times it gets better other times its very bad. Please answer back, I need a answer that was given to me to improve myself.

Please help me
May Allah reward you.

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother, thanks a lot for your question.

Before answering your question let's first congratulate you for the keenness you show in adhering to Allah's ordinances and your pursuit of fulfilling your religious duties and obligations. We also invoke Allah earnestly to relieve you from these pains and ease your suffering.

Coming back to your question, we understand that you exert all such efforts out of fear that your prayer may not be accepted. But when we read the Qur'an and Sunnah we find that easiness and lenience are prevailing themes of our religion. It is indicative in this context that the verse concerned with the rulings of ablution and purification is concluded with the words (Allah would not place a burden on you, but He would purify you and would perfect His grace upon you, that ye may give thanks. )(Al-Ma'idah 5: 6) Clearly, the tremendous effort you exert to prefect your ablution and prayer does not go in conformity with this crystal-clear declaration of the easiness of the Shari`ah's rulings.

However, you admit that you tried your best to ignore these worries and to stop this repetition of the parts of ablution and prayer but you failed. You may have actually determined once, or even many times, to perform ablution normally as all people do, or to perform your prayer without pronouncing you intention aloud or repeating one rak`ah (or even the entire prayer), but eventually the fears encompass you and mange to defeat your determination.

Then, what is the real problem? Can Satan be so powerful that you can not mange to escape his grasp? But Allah tells us in the Qur'an that the plotting of Satan is weak (An-Nisa' 4: 76). It can not reach this degree of controlling you and making you undergo this suffering. The problem, as we can conclude from the question, is that you most likely suffer from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). It is a well-known illness caused by an imbalance in the chemicals of the brain, which needs medication.

You can read more about this disorder; its nature and its treatment in the following counsel OCD Should be Treated .

Thus, the first step you should take is to seek treatment on the hands of a trustworthy and reliable psychiatrist, preferably a Muslim one so that he would be able to understand and deal with your problem. You should not be scared or ashamed by the notion that you need to visit a psychiatrist. This is by no means a source of shame nor is it equivalent to being insane. OCD is an illness, like any other illness, which needs taking certain medicines prescribed by a specialized doctor. So do not feel hesitation in taking the step. Through our work, we know many persons who experienced a suffering similar to yours, but they visited a psychiatrist and followed his instructions until Allah granted them cure and health. Actually, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) ordered us to seek therapy and treatment. Imam Ahmad reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said “Seek medication, O slaves of Allah, for Allah has not caused any illness but provided a medicine for it except one illness i.e. old age”

Moreover, the scholars tell us that one who has such doubts should not act upon them. That is, if you doubted whether you have washed a part or not in ablution, deem it washed. Likewise, if you doubted whether you mentioned takbeer or not, consider that you mentioned it. It is true that the original ruling is to repeat the doubted part of worship, but this ruling applies only to normal people who do not suffer such tireless doubts. As for the case in point, these doubts in fact are baseless even though they seem strong and persistent. In this context you may worry that ignoring them will render your worship void. Rest assured! What we mentioned above is the ruling with regard to your case and even if we assumed for the sake of argument that you have actually forgot a part of your ablution or prayer, Allah's Mercy is far broader than you imagine. So, do not heed these doubts and do not make Sujud As-Sahw. We know that the doubts will continue befalling you, until you receive necessary medication, but always keep in your mind that these doubts have no effect on your worship.

Thus, we can sum up our advice in the following points:

First: Consult a Muslim psychiatrist, and follow his instructions.

Second: Try your best to ignore the thoughts and doubts that befall you.

Third: Be sure that these doubts have no effect on your ablution or prayer. So do not repeat your Wudu or prayer, and do not perform Sujud As-Sahw for such doubts or attach much attention to the way you pronounce the surahs.

Fourth: Choose the easiest options while performing ablution and prayer.

Fifth: Be sure that the suffering you experience is a test form Allah, and that your patience will be of great reward. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) "No fatigue, nor disease, nor anxiety, nor sadness, nor hurt, nor distress befalls a Muslim, even if it were the prick he receives from a thorn, but that Allah expiates some of his sins for that."

Finally, and most importantly, a Muslim is to seek Allah's help, strengthen his relationship with Him, try his best to do good and refrain from evil deeds. One should have strong belief in Allah and His Absolute Power, as the Prophet says: "If people gather to confer a favor on you, this will never be done unless it has been predestined for you. And, if they conspire together to harm you, they will never harm you unless that has been predestined for you."

Allah Almighty knows best.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-19-2007, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
Oops... i think you have to finish up your salah. I don't think you can stop doing salah without a good reason.

Maybe someone can help me here. Or InshaAllah i'll try to find you the daleel. I've it but it is in malay language, but i've to check it again whether they used strong daleels.
yes i kno, i do repeat because im afaid my salaah wont count cuz i might have missed it. I cant continue unless im very sure but most of the time im not, so i repeat.

InToTheRain
07-19-2007, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
yes i kno, i do repeat because im afaid my salaah wont count cuz i might have missed it. I cant continue unless im very sure but most of the time im not, so i repeat.
:sl:

Maybe this can help:

Question:
It is human nature that many people tend to think about several things in namaz. Sometimes it happens that a person forgets in which rakat he was, and he is not sure about that? Should he go for SAJDE-SAHOO or should he repeat namaz another time?

Answer
One should endervour to develop complete concentration in Salaat. This may be achieved thoroughly regularly offering Nafl Salaat with prolonged Rakaats. If one is in Salaat and one falls into doubt as to what Rakaat one is in, one should apply prudent judgment and practise on that which one’s mind is inclined to. If, after applying this principle, one still remains in doubt, then one should practise on the lower of the two, e.g. if one is in doubt as to whether one is in the second or third Rakaat, then consider it to be the second Rakaat and add 2 more Rakaats to complete a four Rakaat Salaat. However, in this case, i.e. when acting to the lesser number, one should sit for Tashahhud after each Rakaat which could possibly be his last Rakaat. Therefore, in the above example, when one is confused about 2 or 3 Rakaats, and takes it to be his second Rakaat, he should sit after his next Rakaat and should recite Tashahhud, because there is a possibility that it is his fourth and last Rakaat. Then after reciting Tashahhud, he should stand up and complete the fourth Rakaat according to his presumption and should perform a Sajda-e-Sahw in the end. The above principles should be applied if this confusion occurs frequently. If this confusion occurs for the first time, the Salaat should be repeated. (Shaami vol.2 pg.92; HM Saeed)
and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best
-Mufti Ebrahim Desai

How to do Sujduh as-sahw:
Sujud as-sahw is made at the very end of the salah. When everything has been read (tashahhud, salaat 'alan nabi, du'a) and nothing remains but the salam, two sajdahs are made after doing the first salam to your right shoulder . After the two sajdas you naturally proceed to do salam for the prayer to your left shoulder at the end of the final rakat.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-19-2007, 06:11 PM
^^:sl:

JazakAllah Khair brother. Just what I was looking for =)

:w:

07-19-2007, 06:32 PM
I dunno if this has been said, but i read that if you remember doing your wudu, but are in doubt of whether or not you broke it, then you have your wudu

but if you are in doubt of whether or not you made it then you have to make your wudu

hope that helps inshaAllah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.