/* */

PDA

View Full Version : a little problem

anonymous
07-20-2007, 04:49 AM
:sl:
i am considering this man for marriage. he hasn't asked or anything, but he is a friend of my brothers. now, as far as i know he is a good person. how ever my brother told me something about him that has sort of put me off, and made me feel a little uncomfortable, but i want to know if im looking into things to much, or if what he is doing is islamically acceptable, because if it is, obviously it wouldn't matter to me. The thing is that my brother told me that he has a beard, however it is not lengthy. what i mean is it is just enough to cover his face. now what put me off is that im worried that maybe he keeps it short because he is worried abot what pople will think. (as we live in a western country) and i want someone who has a strong personality, and couldn't care less what other people think. but on the other hand if he was worried about what other people think, than he wouldn't have one at all. right??
so my question is, is this length islamically acceptable, because i remember reading a hadith condemning a group of people who shortend their beards. but yeah, i don't remember exactly if thats how the hadith goes, so if someone could post it up, it would be much appreciated.
and the other thing is, i think to myself, well maybe he likes it like that, or maybe he dosn't know of the ruling (if there s one)

anyways, jazakallahu khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umu 'Isa
07-20-2007, 07:24 AM
:salamext:
Or maybe his beard grows really slowly.. or maybe that is all he can grow?

Perhaps you should get your brother to ask him why he doesn't grow his beard longer?

The Ruler
07-20-2007, 07:27 AM

As an imaam, my dad clips his beard just to keep the ends straight. You know...? Like, he doesn't like strands going this way and that kinda thing. I remember when we were in Kuwait, he used to clip it so that it was just enough to cover his face [as you call it :)], and I doubt that would be because he feared what others said.

But just to be sure, I'll ask him once I'm at home insha'Allah.

:w:

Intisar
07-20-2007, 07:32 AM
:wasalamex

I think you should really ask your brother for information and get straight and real answers. You just want to know the truth right? I'd suggest seeking the truth about his beard because you never know why indeed it is that length.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
07-20-2007, 09:29 AM

offer Ishthekhara prayer before taking any decision .

rozeena
07-20-2007, 09:33 AM
sori jus wanted 2 ask weda it is compulsory 4 men 2 have beards?

anonymous
07-20-2007, 10:06 AM
jazakllahu khair for your relies. inshallah i will ask my brother. im soooo nervous.

Pk_#2
07-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Don't be nervous sister, All the best

Also..

Translation: Abu Huraira radiyallahu anhu quotes the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam as saying, "Shorten the moustache and lengthen the beard." (Muslim) Translation: Yahya ibn Kathir says that, once a person from Ajam (external province) who had grown a moustache and shaved off the beard entered the mosque. The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam asked him, "What motivated you to do this act? He replied that his Lord had ordered him to do so. The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam said, "Allah has ordered me to shorten my moustache and lengthen my beard." Besides these ahaadith, there are other ahaadith which support the necessity of growing the beard. Therefore, to shave, or trim one’s beard less than the length of a fist is haram (forbidden) and anyone contradicting this ruling will be committing a major sin and regarded as a fasiq (immoral person).

The above mentioned ruling applies to all Muslims as a general rule, as for an Imaam or a Hafiz it becomes all the more important to grow a beard as he will have to lead the prayers and the Imamat (leadership) of a person who shaves or trims his beard is makrooh-e-tahrimi (severely disliked), although the prayer behind such a person will be valid. Source: inter-islam.org

AsalamuALaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Pk_#2
07-20-2007, 10:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rozeena
Growing a beard is an extremely emphasised and encouraged way (Sunnah) of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace), and held by the Muslim scholars to be necessary (wajib) for a man.

source: Daruliftaa.com

Umu 'Isa
07-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "I have no connection with one who shaves, shouts and tears his clothing eg. in grief or affication."
- Reported by Abu Darda (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501

Read this article insha Allaah.
http://www.islam.tc/beard/beard.html

Or take a look at this ebook 'The Beard Between the Salaf and the Khalaf'

IbnAbdulHakim
07-20-2007, 11:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rahmah
Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "I have no connection with one who shaves, shouts and tears his clothing eg. in grief or affication."
- Reported by Abu Darda (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501

Read this article insha Allaah.
http://www.islam.tc/beard/beard.html

Or take a look at this ebook 'The Beard Between the Salaf and the Khalaf'
jazakAllah khair sis, i was wondering about the wording of that hadith, how do you say shave in arabic :?

MustafaMc
07-20-2007, 12:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
Growing a beard is an extremely emphasised and encouraged way (Sunnah) of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace), and held by the Muslim scholars to be necessary (wajib) for a man.

source: Daruliftaa.com
I agree with this and I also agree with the post just before it. I became a Muslim in 1982, but I did not consistently practice Islam until June 2001. When I made the commitment to practice my faith regardless of what other people think, one of the first things that I did was to grow a beard and I have kept one ever since then. I understand the ruling about the beard length supposed to be a fist length (about 10cm or 4 inch), but my beard is quite thick and it is more comfortable for me to keep the length about 2.5 cm or 1 inch. I also like to keep a neat physical appearance

I have observed that those brothers who are more strict in the observance of Sunnah also tend to wear Middle Eastern clothes. I wear western style clothes, but I try to follow the Sunnah the best that I can with Alhamdulillah when I sneeze, eating with my right hand, closely clipping the pubic hair and under my arms, etc. I am a professional and must interact with women at times, but I refuse to be alone with them and I refuse to shake their hands when they are thrust forward for shaking.

I suggest that your brother ask questions as to how diligently the person you are interested in adheres first to the obligatory requirements of Islam and second how closely he follows the Sunnah.

These are only my personal views and Allah knows best.

abu-abderrahman
07-20-2007, 12:04 PM

may this fatwa clear the matter.

Question No 6657:

Is there any recommended length of the beard?

Question:
is there any recommended length of the beard traceable from Prophet Muhammad SAAW

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

There is no recommended or specified length of the beard, because nothing to that effect has been narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). What has been reported is that the beard should be left as it is.

Muslim (2344) reported that Jaabir ibn Samurah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to have a very hairy beard.”

An-Nisaa’ (5232) reported from al-Baraa’ that he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a thick beard; according to another report, he had a bushy beard; according to another report, he had a wide beard.

Some scholars permit cutting the hair of the beard that exceeds the amount that may be grasped in the fist, because Ibn ‘Umar did this; but most of the scholars regard this as makrooh, which is more apparent because of the reports referred to above.

Al-Nawawi said: the best is to leave it as it is and not touch it or shorten it at all. (Tuhfat al-Ahwadhi, 8/39).

- As for the hadeeth, “He used to reduce the length and width (of his beard)” – this is a false and fabricated hadeeth.

See al-‘Ilal al-Mutanaahiyah by Ibn al-Jawzi, 2/686

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Indeed in the Messenger of Allaah (Muhammad) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes for (the Meeting with) Allaah and the Last Day…” [al-Ahzaab 33:21]

“And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad) gives you, take it; and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it).” [al-Hashr 59:7]

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah preserve him) said: The definition of the beard as stated by the scholars of (Arabic) language is: the hair of the face, jawbone and cheeks, in the sense that all the hair on the cheeks, jawbone and chin is part of the beard and removing any of it is counted as a sin, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Let your beards grow,” “Leave your beards alone,” “Let your beards increase,” “Let your beards be full.” This indicates that it is not permissible to remove anything from the beard. But the sin may vary in degree – shaving the beard is worse than shortening it, because it is a more obvious contradiction of the Sunnah.

For more information, see Question # 1189.

And Allaah knows best

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

anonymous
07-21-2007, 05:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
jazakAllah khair sis, i was wondering about the wording of that hadith, how do you say shave in arabic :?
the word gor shave in arabic, as far as i klnow is halaq

anonymous
07-21-2007, 05:46 AM
:sl: sis. hope this helps: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...=eng&txt=beard

tears4husain
07-21-2007, 05:54 AM
:sl: Hi, sister please be at ease on this issue, it is okay for men to groom there beard. As long as there is enough to to recognize his beard my beard grows slow also and thin, but i do groom it al though I still have a beard.

Maidah
07-21-2007, 06:28 AM
i don't know if it's premmissible on these grounds but i know a bro who can't grow his beard long because it kinda gives him some allergic reaction, so he has to keep trimming it and keep it at a limited leanght.

And on top of that some ppls beard grows really thin and its not really ''straight''.

anonymous
07-21-2007, 06:46 AM
jazakallahu khair for your advice.
however, i have decided not to take this any further (not because of the beard though)

Maidah
07-21-2007, 01:35 PM
^^ i was about to say that sis, i'm sure there are many more bigger aspects to look at in detail rather then the beard. But i pray that Allah guides you right. Ameen.

SATalha
07-21-2007, 01:46 PM
I know sum broz, there beard doesnt grow.

sevgi
07-21-2007, 01:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
i am considering this man for marriage. he hasn't asked or anything, but he is a friend of my brothers. now, as far as i know he is a good person. how ever my brother told me something about him that has sort of put me off, and made me feel a little uncomfortable, but i want to know if im looking into things to much, or if what he is doing is islamically acceptable, because if it is, obviously it wouldn't matter to me. The thing is that my brother told me that he has a beard, however it is not lengthy. what i mean is it is just enough to cover his face. now what put me off is that im worried that maybe he keeps it short because he is worried abot what pople will think. (as we live in a western country) and i want someone who has a strong personality, and couldn't care less what other people think. but on the other hand if he was worried about what other people think, than he wouldn't have one at all. right??
so my question is, is this length islamically acceptable, because i remember reading a hadith condemning a group of people who shortend their beards. but yeah, i don't remember exactly if thats how the hadith goes, so if someone could post it up, it would be much appreciated.
and the other thing is, i think to myself, well maybe he likes it like that, or maybe he dosn't know of the ruling (if there s one)

anyways, jazakallahu khair

sis...

no offense but...if ur gna marry a guy...and hes a gud guy...try not to gte into too much detail...i respect the fcat that u can correspond the length of his beard with the strength of his character...but believe me, its probably the way he prefers his physical appearance.

guys arent that attentive to detail. if u carry this out throughout a relationship, ur gna have a lot of trouble.u will tire him. im not an expert with guys. i do have an older bro... i know from that....guys dnt like that sort of obsessive picking.

im sure hes a wonderful guy...who wants to fulfil the sunnah of our prophet to the best of his ability under the circumstances of a western society. maybe he doesnt want to isolate himself too much.he must be a social guy...i dnt know him. i dont know what he does for a living so..u be the judge.if im not mistaken there is nothing wrong in islam with the length which he keeps his beard.

i dont think ive been offensive, nor have i intended to but if i have please pardon me...im just presenting my humble opinion and advice...which i dont think was called upon.im sorry.

peace.

w/s.:)

highway_trekker
07-21-2007, 03:17 PM
May Allaah bless you in your decision-Ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.