/* */

PDA

View Full Version : faith crisis

cinnamon
07-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Assalamu alaikom wa rahmatullah,

I have a HUGE faith crisis.
The thing is I 100% know that it is islam, that has been sent by God and that other religions are false. This is beyond certainty. I don't believe - I know.

But it doesn't change the fact that I don't understand a thing, and noone is able to answer my questions.

First of all, I don't understand why shirk is a more severe sin than a murder, than beating women and treating them as if they were rags, than hurting someone emotionally. May Allah forgive me for what I will say, but if I were god I woulnd't care if they believed that I'm one or three or one hundred. I woulnd't care if they called me Allah, Budda or whatever. Isn't it more important how you behave? I would rush to forgive people the sin of shirk, and Allah is more merciful than me, so I understand not!!!

Secondly - why merciful God gives pain? I used to explain to myself, that by doing it He tries to make us think of Him more and become more empathic, but Angels don't suffer and still they pray to Him constantly and are empathic.
Why does hell exist? Wouldn't it be a more touching moment for God to see all sinners' tears when they realize after death that they didn't serve God they way He wanted? Istn't the thought that you didn't make Allah happy with you more painful than all tortments of hell?

Allah said in the Quran that we are created in order to glorify Him, but on the other hand He says He doesn't need our acts of whorship, they don't make Him more Kabeer. Actually I love sujood, but I want to make it because I feel the moment, not because I have to force myself to pray because soon maghreb time is over while I am exhausted after all day at school.

Next thing I don't get is hijab. First of all hijab catches attention (at least in eastern europe where I live) and the idea of hijab is the opposite. I don't wear it and I don't feel I'm doing something bad, because Allah said, that if a fard action is dangerous for you to do, you are allowed to give it up, and don't tell me wearing hijab doesn't expose you to dangers. Can't you see Europe is full of hatred towards foreigners and many youth people become nationalists and there were MANY accidents of violence towards us? Am I supposed to get hurt for a sake of a fabric on my hair? I'm not saying a muslimah is to wear a mini skirt, but I can look modest without loose clothes. And it's not my problem that men have manly nature i.e. that they get excited when they gaze at women. The solution of that problem is to lower your gaze!

What then, hmm... FATE. If some people are destined to go to hell what can they do? They love Allah and would like to meet HIm in jannah, bout their fate is as Allah ordered.

Islam makes a man a little bit higher in status than a women. It was men who were kings, who created empires and civilisations. Islam says a woman can't be a king, that a men is more suitable for this position. Is that so? The only achievement of men rule is bad treatment of women, and wars just for the sake of a stupid border line on the map. This is what men civilisations achieved. Congratulations.:heated: In my opinion a woman is not perfect, but in my imagination I see lands ruled by women as more peaceful. Just don't say that crap that a woman is emotionally unstable just because of her menstrual cicle and therefore she can't be a president/imam/khalifah...

People are narrow-minded, therefore they may understand not, then why Allah forced us to search The Path, to follow it, if we don't understand it? I know it's not only me who have doubts, many muslims have them. Why Allah left so many answers and doubts unanswered?

I am upset. I once were a good muslimah (of course only Allah will judge that) and I had a wonderful teacher of islam. But then when I started to have problems with my islam, he did't have so much time for me. Now he is left for Jordan and it seems he doesn't care for his tilmizah, he doesn't even write me emails. So now I dont trust even good muslims. I feel left all alone.

I love islam. If someone told me "choose between water and lifght for erath and islam" I would choose islam. This is the most precious thing I have, yet I am lost.

Can someone help me?

May Allah save me...

Ma as salamah, Allah ma3kom
ukht Fatima

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
07-20-2007, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cinnamon
Assalamu alaikom wa rahmatullah,

Wa alaikum as-Salaam (and peace be upon you too sister.)

I have a HUGE faith crisis.
The thing is I 100% know that it is islam, that has been sent by God and that other religions are false. This is beyond certainty. I don't believe - I know.

It's okay, insha Allaah the cure to ignorance is asking. We'll try to address your questions insha Allaah. And all strength comes from Allaah alone.

But it doesn't change the fact that I don't understand a thing, and noone is able to answer my questions.

First of all, I don't understand why shirk is a more severe sin than a murder, than beating women and treating them as if they were rags, than hurting someone emotionally. May Allah forgive me for what I will say, but if I were god I woulnd't care if they believed that I'm one or three or one hundred. I woulnd't care if they called me Allah, Budda or whatever. Isn't it more important how you behave? I would rush to forgive people the sin of shirk, and Allah is more merciful than me, so I understand not!!!

Shirk is the greatest major sin because it involves being associating others along with Allaah in worship. Being thankful to other than Allaah for all the good which He has given us, shirk can also involve rejecting the Messengers' of Allaah since the Messengers of Allaah call against shirk. We'll discuss this issue more in depth insha Allaah.

If someone rejects any Messenger of Allaah, they are rejecting His message. If they are rejecting His Message, they are saying that Allaah has lied and that He doesn't send us a Criterion to judge between what is right and wrong, true and false etc. If someone doesn't accept this, then they are following a way which opposes the law of Allaah.

So because they have rejected Allaah's message, they have also rejected His commandments. Which then means that they would be disobedient to Him without even feeling any guilt that they are transgressing the boundaries which He has set for us. This means that they can do any forms of injustice without feeling that they will return to Allaah and be judged for what they did (and be either rewarded or punished for their actions), so they may persist in these evils to the extent that they cause a great deal of harm to the whole of humanity.

Yet if this person never had commited this shirk, and they had accepted Allaah's Messengers', this would mean they would accept His message, which would mean that they would be far more likely to do good and turn away from evil because they would have the fear of Allaah, love of Allaah, hope for His reward for their patience and good etc.

Secondly - why merciful God gives pain? I used to explain to myself, that by doing it He tries to make us think of Him more and become more empathic, but Angels don't suffer and still they pray to Him constantly and are empathic.

Angels don't have a freedom of choice, humans do. We as humans usually cling onto the world when we have continuous pleasures, many actually fall into the trap of feeling 'self sufficient' even though it is Allaah alone who has blessed us with the good we have.

If we as humans continuously have good, we still want more.

Narrated Ibn ‘Abbâs and Anas bin Mâlik: Allah’s Messenger said, “If a son of man had a valley full of gold, he would desire to have two. Nothing can fill his mouth except the earth (of the grave). Allah turns with mercy to him who turns to Him in repentance.” (Al-Bukhâri and Muslim)

If we continue getting more, man will usually turn away from Allaah's remembrance and cling onto this world, even though the real life for the believers is Paradise. This person when continuously getting good will start doing injustice since they have so much power, wealth etc.

So these trials which we face in life are from Allaah, showing us how small and weak we really are. And no matter how much we have, we depend upon Him, and we will return to Him to be questioned about how we used these blessings He gave us. These trials, whether good or bad then are a reminder for us, of the hereafter, and how much we depend upon Allaah.

Why does hell exist? Wouldn't it be a more touching moment for God to see all sinners' tears when they realize after death that they didn't serve God they way He wanted? Istn't the thought that you didn't make Allah happy with you more painful than all tortments of hell?

The torments of hell are a punishment for those who do evil, think about it. If someone who is an evil sinner in this world was told - "when you die, you will cry and God will forgive you." Would that stop him from oppressing others? Or would that make him laugh arrogantly, boastfully saying that 'he didn't care?'

Allaah says in the Qur'an (translation of the meaning):

Shall We then treat the (submitting) Muslims like the Mujrimûn (criminals, polytheists and disbelievers, etc.)?

What is the matter with you? How judge you?

[Qur'an 69: 35-6]

And for those who believe and do good;

Is there any reward for good other than good?

[Qur'an 55: 60]

Is then the man who believes no better than the man who is rebellious and wicked? Not equal are they.

[Qur'an 32: 18]

Allah said in the Quran that we are created in order to glorify Him, but on the other hand He says He doesn't need our acts of whorship, they don't make Him more Kabeer. Actually I love sujood, but I want to make it because I feel the moment, not because I have to force myself to pray because soon maghreb time is over while I am exhausted after all day at school.

Remember, you loving sujood is an amazing thing! Infact, it may be one of the greatest blessings since the most arrogant are those who do not prostrate to Allaah. You know that it was satan [iblis] who never bowed out of arrogance, yet you love to bow to Allaah.

Having love for Allaah is an act of worship, having hope of Allaah's reward is an act of worship, and to fear Allaah's punishment, and to fear to disobey Him is an act of worship. Since anything loved by Allaah is an act of worship if you do it to draw closer to Him.

You might question why salaah (the prayers) are obligatory, and you also question why we are obligated to pray.

We as Muslims believe that this life is temporary, we are created by Allaah, and yes - we are created to worship Him. But wait, worship doesn't just mean to continuously pray, fast, etc. Worship in the Islamic context is anything which is loved by Allaah. So for example, if a guy gives food to his wife, he is fulfilling a duty which is loved by Allaah. Since you intended to draw closer to Allaah by feeding your wife, then that is an act of worship in of itself. Therefore, you would gain Allaah's pleasure, therefore be rewarded by Him inshaa Allaah (God willing.)

Similarly, all aspects of our life can be a means of drawing closer to our Creator, and Sustainer.

Along with these acts of worship, we are also obligated to thank Allaah for the good which He has bestowed upon us. We are obligated to worship Allaah (which includes the 5 daily prayers) - so that we remain firm upon the correct path. During each prayer, we recite to Allaah - "Guide us to the Straight Path.." - if one stops praying to Allaah, they usually break their contact with Him due to the excessive distractions of this life. Therefore an obligation makes the believer firm upon keeping their duty to Allaah so they remain upon the correct straight path which leads to Him (The Siraat Al Mustaqeem.)

Therefore, if one asks why Allaah asks us to worship Him - the answer is so we remain aware of God, so we continue doing good to please Him and earn His pleasure, so we abstain from the evil which He has forbidden us from - which is harm in of itself, and that is why it is forbidden. Those who believe in Allaah, His promise, and His reward - then they will be rewarded for their good.

Therefore the above clarifies that Allaah is not in need of our worship, rather we are in need of worshipping Allaah to be good people and at ease in this life and the life to come.

What then, hmm... FATE. If some people are destined to go to hell what can they do? They love Allah and would like to meet HIm in jannah, bout their fate is as Allah ordered.

Allaah Almighty says:

“O My slaves, all of you are astray except those whom I guide, so ask Me for guidance, and I will guide you. O My slaves, all of you are hungry except those whom I feed, so ask me for food and I will feed you. O My slaves, all of you are naked except those whom I clothe, so ask Me for clothing and I will clothe you. … O My slaves, if the first of you and the last of you, your humans and your jinn, were to stand on a single plain and ask of Me and I were to give each one what he asked for, that would not cause any loss to Me greater than what is lost when a needle is dipped into the sea.”

Narrated by Muslim (2577).

There is also a hadith which states that;

The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: Allah the Almighty said:

I am as My servant thinks I am (1). I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.

(1) Another possible rendering of the Arabic is: "I am as My servant expects Me to be". The meaning is that forgiveness and acceptance of repentance by the Almighty is subject to His servant truly believing that He is forgiving and merciful. However, not to accompany such belief with right action would be to mock the Almighty.

It was related by al-Buhkari (also by Muslim, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn-Majah).
All of mankind is astray except those who take them steps towards Allaah, in sincerety and with the intention of searching for the truth. Then once they turn to Allaah for that guidance and ask Him of it - then He is the One who guides the hearts. And those who are sincere in wanting to turn away from Allaah, and have the intention that they want to be rebellious against Him - even when the truth becomes clear and manifest to them - then they are lead astray, while they throw themselves into destruction while they percieve it not.

This is explained in the Qur'an when Allaah says (translation of the meaning):

By the night when it covers
And [by] the day when it appears
And [by] He who created the male and female,
Certainly, your efforts and deeds are diverse (different in aims and purposes);

As for him who gives (in charity) and keeps his duty to Allah and fears Him,
And believes in the best [reward],
We will make smooth for him the path of ease (goodness).
But he who is greedy miser and thinks himself self-sufficient.
And denies the best [reward],
We will make smooth for him the path for evil;

And what will his wealth benefit him when he goes down (in destruction).

Truly! Ours it is (to give) guidance,

And truly, unto Us (belong) the last (Hereafter) and the first (this world).

Therefore I have warned you of a Fire blazing fiercely (Hell);
None shall enter it save the most wretched,
Who denies and turns away.

But the righteous one will avoid it -
[He] who gives [from] his wealth to purify himself

And not [giving] for anyone who has [done him] a favor to be rewarded

But only seeking the countenance of his Lord, Most High.

He surely will be pleased (when he will enter Paradise).

[Qur'an Surah Layl (the Night) 92]

Since we do not know what is in our destiny, we strive to draw closer to Allaah by asking Him for guidance, by striving towards His obedience. Without a doubt, those who strive towards Him sincerely, He will grant them Paradise. We pray to Allaah to make us of the people of His Paradise, ameen.

Islam makes a man a little bit higher in status than a women. It was men who were kings, who created empires and civilisations. Islam says a woman can't be a king, that a men is more suitable for this position. Is that so? The only achievement of men rule is bad treatment of women, and wars just for the sake of a stupid border line on the map. This is what men civilisations achieved. Congratulations.:heated: In my opinion a woman is not perfect, but in my imagination I see lands ruled by women as more peaceful. Just don't say that crap that a woman is emotionally unstable just because of her menstrual cicle and therefore she can't be a president/imam/khalifah...

There are some activities and positions which are restricted to one gender and there are others that have no such restrictions. Obviously there are inherent differences between the genders making some more suited to certain roles than others while both have an equal status.

As for leading a nation, then the Khalifa is a Muslim man as he is not a figurehead but actually is the one who also delivers friday sermons and leads the prayers as an Imam. Other types of leadership are for both men and women. As Shaykh Sa`ûd al-Funaysân, a former professor at al-Imâm University in Riyadh Saudi Arabia, writes:
There is no evidence that a woman cannot be appointed as an administrator in some kind of work where some men are working. People who argue by Allah’s words: “Men are the protectors and maintainers of women because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means” [Sûrah al-Nisâ’: 34] and “But men have a degree over them” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 228] must know that this applies only between the husband and wife. The man protects and maintains the woman who lives with him under his protection.
He also explains concerning the aformentioned hadîth:
Moreover, what was mentioned in the hadîth that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “A people who give political authority to a woman will never succeed” is only talking about supreme political office. Therefore, what is forbidden for a woman is to be a president or a sovereign queen. This is what was decreed by the scholars, because of the context of the hadîth. The Prophet (peace be upon him) made this statement when he was informed that the king of Persia had died and the Persians had appointed his daughter as the new ruler.
Therefore, if this woman is the most qualified among a group males and females, then it is permissible to appoint her as their boss, provided that she observes proper hijâb and instructs the other women to do so. She has to lower her gaze from men and refrain from being alone with any of them whether in the workplace or outside of it.

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...tml#post488481

I also urge you to read this link regarding the rights of women which Allaah has bestowed upon them;

http://www.islamicboard.com/568232-post2.html

People are narrow-minded, therefore they may understand not, then why Allah forced us to search The Path, to follow it, if we don't understand it? I know it's not only me who have doubts, many muslims have them. Why Allah left so many answers and doubts unanswered?

There are many answers which we need to search and find the answers for, while placing our trust in Allaah since it is Him who is the All Knowing, the Wise.

I am upset. I once were a good muslimah (of course only Allah will judge that) and I had a wonderful teacher of islam. But then when I started to have problems with my islam, he did't have so much time for me. Now he is left for Jordan and it seems he doesn't care for his tilmizah, he doesn't even write me emails. So now I dont trust even good muslims. I feel left all alone.

I pray that Allaah gives you an even better teacher who helps you gain the correct knowledge and understandings of Islaam, and that Allaah makes the path to Jannah (Paradise) easy for you and the Muslim ummah. ameen.

I love islam. If someone told me "choose between water and lifght for erath and islam" I would choose islam. This is the most precious thing I have, yet I am lost.

That's amazing, after some trials you still love Allaah and what He has revealed to His beloved Messenger. That's a good sign of faith, alhamdulillah.

Can someone help me?

May Allah save me...

ameen, and us all.

Ma as salamah, Allah ma3kom
ukht Fatima

:wasalamex

And Allaah knows best.

cinnamon
07-22-2007, 05:01 PM
:w:

1. Ok, so the Prophet's uncle, who loved him and protected him will go to hell, while a muslim murderer will go after some time to heaven? All of it because the former didn't say one sentence "la elaha ellallah"? For me it wouldn't matter which criterion people would follow, as long as it would respect the rule not to hurt anyone and as long as there was no hatred in persons heart. Every person should be judged as an individual, not because of the label (christian, jew) he has. Don't tell me you love more ben laden than a good person from the kafirs like the pope?

2. I think the opposite. See how many people became atheists because they suffered a loss of someone they loved, how many people rebel against God because they see what happens to people who didn't do anything wrong, while those who are bad get what's best from life. Is that fair?

Another thing, I understand Adam and Eve were thrown out od paradise because of what they did. But why we have to live on earth if their sin is not our fault? Maybe I would be stronger and wouldn't eat that apple? I thought in islam we don't inherit sins like in christianity.

3 I understand hell for hitler, bush or ben laden.But I don't understand hell for mother theresa or the ex pope, sorry. As Allah said, intentions are the most important and their intentions were to help people.

4. I agree with you that many people think only prayer and dua is an act of whorship. They forget that even sleeping can be an act of whorhip if we have a proper intention. But still, praying for me shouldn't be something forced on people. Would you be happy if someone visited you just because he was forced to?

5. Yes I know there are evidebces that a woman can't be a khalifah/imam for men but still I don't understand why. I remember there was a queen in the Quraan and she was a righteous one. Most of the men are not good rulers, that's what i can see.

6. I don't understand why a man can have a kafir wife while a woman can't. The most popular argument is that the man will not let the children be muslims. But if he agrees?

ma as salama

Abdul Fattah
07-22-2007, 05:46 PM
hi Cinnamon
you have a though question, and I must say It wandered around in my mind to. I don't have a real answers besides Allah subhana wa ta'ala knows best. And each person will be rewarded in the hereafter with what they deserve. Perhaps the answer lies in that this world compared to the hereafter is less then a drop out of an ocean. so perhaps killing someone, although it is equal to killing the whole of mankind, is still nothing compared to shirk because in the hereafter this life will seem as almost nothing.

Also a muslim man can't have a kafir wife either. Only someone who believes in God.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
07-22-2007, 05:53 PM

1. Ok, so the Prophet's uncle, who loved him and protected him will go to hell, while a muslim murderer will go after some time to heaven? All of it because the former didn't say one sentence "la elaha ellallah"? For me it wouldn't matter which criterion people would follow, as long as it would respect the rule not to hurt anyone and as long as there was no hatred in persons heart. Every person should be judged as an individual, not because of the label (christian, jew) he has. Don't tell me you love more ben laden than a good person from the kafirs like the pope?

What is faith? The explanation of faith of the Ahlus Sunnah (the people of the Sunnah) is that it is in the heart, on the tongue, aswell as your deeds.

If you have faith in your heart of Allaah, His Messengers, His Angels, His Books, the Hereafter and Destiny (the good and the bad.) Then you need to pronounce that on your tongue i.e.

Ash hadu an Laa illaaha IllAllaah, Muhammadun Rasool Allaah. (I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad - peace be upon him - is the Messenger of Allaah.)

Then you need to keep constant in your duties which Allaah has prescribed upon you i.e. belief in the Shahadah, the 5 daily prayers, the Zakaah/charity, the Hajj once in your lifetime if you can afford it, and to fast the month of Ramadhan.

If you can keep up with these principles, you remain a believer in Allaah, and a Muslim.

This is the religion which Allaah has sent to us since the time of Adam, Allaah has said (translation of the meaning);
Truly, the religion with Allah is Islam. Those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) did not differ except, out of mutual jealousy, after knowledge had come to them. And whoever disbelieves in the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allah, then surely, Allah is Swift in calling to account.

[Qur'an 3: 19]

We as humans have a freedom of choice, as stated earlier. When Abu Talib was about to pass away, the Messenger of Allaah urged him to pronounce the Shahadah on his tongue on his death bed. He had the choice, but he turned away, and preferred the religion of his forefathers i.e. polytheism. He then died in this state.

Allaah has stated (translation of the meaning);
Verily, Allâh forgives not that partners should be set up with him in worship, but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He pleases, and whoever sets up partners with Allâh in worship, he has indeed invented a tremendous sin

[Qur'an 4: 48]

The most tremendous of sins is to associate others as partners with Allaah. Yet anything lower than that, Allaah is prepared to forgive this person. Why shouldn't this person be forgiven? If this person believes in the Mercy and Promise of his Lord?

You said;

3 I understand hell for hitler, bush or ben laden.But I don't understand hell for mother theresa or the ex pope, sorry. As Allah said, intentions are the most important and their intentions were to help people.

Those who associated partners with Allaah will also be dealt with justice. If someone strives for this world only, then Allaah will give them their due recompense in this life. So if they did good for popularity, Allaah may give them fame. If they were sincere and strived for wealth, Allaah will give them that or something similar. Yet they will have no share of the hereafter, since they rejected the promise of Allaah and His reward.

But then you said that Mother Teresa was a good person, but who was she trying to please? Was she trying to please Allaah? Or was she trying to please Jesus? If she was worshipping Jesus and wanting to worship him, then know that Allaah will make her get her reward off Jesus son of Mary, on the Day of Judgement. Yet without a doubt, the reward will only be with Allaah on that Day, and everything will depend upon Him.

If she really believed that it was Allaah, the Lord of the Worlds who created her, sustained her, gave her life, gave her the ability to do good in this life. Then why didn't she worship Him Alone? Why did she worship Jesus, if she knew it was Allaah who created her and gave her all she had? If she believed it was Allaah who gave her all good in this life, then she should do all good for Him so He will give her more in the hereafter.

Why should one worship the creation if you know it is the Creator who gives you all you have? And it is He who will recompense you for that good if you did it to please Him?

2. I think the opposite. See how many people became atheists because they suffered a loss of someone they loved, how many people rebel against God because they see what happens to people who didn't do anything wrong, while those who are bad get what's best from life. Is that fair?
"Every soul shall have taste of death; In the end to us shall ye be brought back.

(Qur'an 29:57)

Aren't these people aware that there is no doubt in death? Even those who don't believe in God believe in death. Whenever anyone faces a calamity in life, they have 1 of 2 options;
1) Try to find the true reality of why they have faced that calamity, while feeling weakness (due to their lack of power over their own affairs) - and through this, draw closer to One of Higher power - God/Allaah to find the answers to their questions.

2) Become rebellious, and reject God, while still remaining in a state of weakness, while still not understanding the reasons behind their problems, and still being prone to many other trials throughout their life.

Those who are sincere in no.1. Allaah will guide them. Those who are sincere in no.2. will continuously face hardships in life, either because of their rebeliousness and persistance on doing evil, or because this life is all a test anyway. It is a mixture of good and bad, yet the hereafter is either purely good, or purely evil. A recompense for their own deeds.

Another thing, I understand Adam and Eve were thrown out od paradise because of what they did. But why we have to live on earth if their sin is not our fault? Maybe I would be stronger and wouldn't eat that apple? I thought in islam we don't inherit sins like in christianity.

What happened in the past has happened, you have also commited sins in your life, and so have I. Every child of Adam is prone to sin, yet the best of sinners are those that repent to Allaah sincerely.

Adam and Eve made a mistake, so they were taken out of Paradise. Yet they prayed to Allaah that they could return to it, and every son/daughter of Adam will, unless they refuse to. How does anyone refuse to enter Paradise? By rebelling against Allaah, and what His Messenger has called to.

An example can be given of some parents, who moved to the west from the Muslim lands. Whether we like it or not, we are brought up here and are harmed by many evils which we may see. Yet this is our trial, every person is tested through good and bad. People are tested through good bad, health, illness, wealth, poverty, even different times in history - some people are tested by being in one part of history, while another may be tested through another time in history. Yet whoever follows the guidance which Allaah has sent, then they will return to the original place for the family of Adam - Paradise. We pray to Allaah to make us of the dwellers of Paradise, ameen.

4. I agree with you that many people think only prayer and dua is an act of whorship. They forget that even sleeping can be an act of whorhip if we have a proper intention. But still, praying for me shouldn't be something forced on people. Would you be happy if someone visited you just because he was forced to?

Yeah, even sleep can be worship. All these are great blessings from Allaah that we can draw closer to Him through any means.

I've already explained the issue about having to pray the 5 daily prayers in the earlier post;
We as Muslims believe that this life is temporary, we are created by Allaah, and yes - we are created to worship Him. But wait, worship doesn't just mean to continuously pray, fast, etc. Worship in the Islamic context is anything which is loved by Allaah. So for example, if a guy gives food to his wife, he is fulfilling a duty which is loved by Allaah. Since you intended to draw closer to Allaah by feeding your wife, then that is an act of worship in of itself. Therefore, you would gain Allaah's pleasure, therefore be rewarded by Him inshaa Allaah (God willing.)

Similarly, all aspects of our life can be a means of drawing closer to our Creator, and Sustainer.

Along with these acts of worship, we are also obligated to thank Allaah for the good which He has bestowed upon us. We are obligated to worship Allaah (which includes the 5 daily prayers) - so that we remain firm upon the correct path. During each prayer, we recite to Allaah - "Guide us to the Straight Path.." - if one stops praying to Allaah, they usually break their contact with Him due to the excessive distractions of this life. Therefore an obligation makes the believer firm upon keeping their duty to Allaah so they remain upon the correct straight path which leads to Him (The Siraat Al Mustaqeem.)

Therefore, if one asks why Allaah asks us to worship Him - the answer is so we remain aware of God, so we continue doing good to please Him and earn His pleasure, so we abstain from the evil which He has forbidden us from - which is harm in of itself, and that is why it is forbidden. Those who believe in Allaah, His promise, and His reward - then they will be rewarded for their good.

Therefore the above clarifies that Allaah is not in need of our worship, rather we are in need of worshipping Allaah to be good people and at ease in this life and the life to come.

So we see from the part in red that if we weren't obligated to keep up with the daily prayers, we would usually become attatched to the world, usually go astray from the guidance of Allaah (whenever we pray the 5 prayers - we ask Allaah to 'guide us to the straight path') yet if we never prayed this and it was only optional, i can assure you that many of us wouldn't pray, and therefore go astray from the path of Allaah.

Also, the prayers keep one aware of keeping their duty to Allaah. You'll notice that there may be moments when you're likely to incline towards sin, but because you know that you will stand before Allaah in your prayer - you don't perform the sin, because you feel ashamed before Him.

Recite what is sent of the Book by inspiration to thee, and establish regular Prayer: for Prayer restrains from shameful and unjust deeds; and remembrance of Allah is the greatest (thing in life) without doubt. And Allah knows the (deeds) that ye do.

[Qur'an 29: 45]

Also, the good deeds wipe out the small sins which you may have commited throughout the day. Therefore it is a source of forgiveness for you also.

Yet without the prayer being an obligation upon us, we'd just be as sinful as the disbelievers. We wouldn't even be sincere, or atleast wouldn't remain sincere to Allaah for too long in our lives. Therefore, making it an obligation helps us more than we truely know it.

Imagine an anti virus programme, if you don't use it for too long. Your whole computer will just mess up. Especially since your computer faces so much different types of problems on the internet, but if you use the anti virus scanner alot, it will keep your computer clean and free from any evils it may have faced throughout the days from outsiders.

5. Yes I know there are evidebces that a woman can't be a khalifah/imam for men but still I don't understand why. I remember there was a queen in the Quraan and she was a righteous one. Most of the men are not good rulers, that's what i can see.

Imagine a muslim woman being a Khalifah, and imagine her leading the whole muslim nation in all the affairs. Do you think she would be able to give the khutbah in the Masjid? I don't think she would be able to without causing unnecessary attention, and even seduction indirectly (yes it's the mens fault, but they are created this way.) Do you think she would be able to lead the Muslim army in battle, and make agreements with the enemy? You might use the example of Aa'isha (may Allaah be pleased with her) but remember that she only did it as a one off thing.

Even if the wife doesn't become the Khalifah, she is her husband's best supporter, advisor and can help him control the affairs well and justly in the Muslim nation.

6. I don't understand why a man can have a kafir wife while a woman can't. The most popular argument is that the man will not let the children be muslims. But if he agrees?

ma as salama

When a Muslim woman gets married to a non Muslim man;

- Her husband may dislike her performing her Islamic duties, and therefore forbid her from performing them. I.e. he may force her to take off the Hijaab and practising modesty.

He may cause her to stop performing other duties such as her 5 daily prayers, even other concepts such as paying 2.5% of ones wealth to the needy (he might be a stingy man - remember we're talking about all times, and in the general sense.)

He may even transgress some boundaries i.e. having intercourse with her during her menses, which is forbidden in Islaam since it is harmful*. He may even deal with her unjustly while taking girlfriends, having illicit relationships with them - since he does not have the fear of Allaah, or feel responsible for his actions - which we all will be judged on in the court of Allaah on the Day of Judgement.

He may even say evil about her religion and disrespect the Messengers' of Allaah, and say evil about them. This may then harm her faith, and it may lead to more enmity within the marriage.

When they have children, he may make these children make them follow another religion. When the duty of the parents is to give their children a good Islamic upbringing, so they can be good people, and worship Allaah properly.

* we were able to observe a strong statistical association between sexual intercourse during menstruation and sell-reported STD history. Conclusions: Sexual intercourse during menstruation may emerge more consistently as a risk factor for the heterosexual transmission of HIV or other sexually transmitted pathogens in future studies.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=3228034

The points stated above are just a few of the disadvantages of a Muslim woman getting married to non muslim men. Obviously, not all the above will apply to every couple. However, we are talking about the general sense, and we are talking about any time in history. From over 1400 years, uptill modern day times and even further in the future. This all has to be kept into consideration.

And Allaah knows best.

Skywalker
07-22-2007, 07:13 PM
:sl: hey cinnamon!

A couple of your questions can be answered with one simple action. Go make Hajj or Umrah. Seriously. Go and see what it's like for people from all corners of the globe to unify themselves in worship of the one God, the Almighty. If you can't do that, then go pray Taraweeh this Ramadan in a large group...and insha-Allah you'll get that same feeling. When you see people of all colours and from innumerable cultures sitting next to each other, and spending hours in prayer to one God, one set of rules, one set of morals, one guide to the betterment of humanity...it just might click for you.

I'll try to answer a question or two from my point of view insha-Allah.

6) Muslim women not being allowed to marry non-Muslim men.

Firstly, a Muslim man cannot marry a non-Muslim woman unless they both agree that their children will be raised as Muslims...so she has to be accepting of Islam, maybe not for herself, but at least for her children.

Secondly, maybe the answer to this question and others can be answered by answering this following question: "Why do men in general have more authority than women in Islam?" Examples: being khalifa, being the head of the house, etc..

The way I see it, that's just how Allah made us. He made men and women equal, but He didn't make us identical. Apart from our obvious physical differences, we also have mental differences. Where women are generally more compassionate and tend to think with their emotions, men are generally more practical and tend to think with logic. Our house is an example of this. My father travels a lot on business, and whenever he's not here the house goes totally out of control. My mother's compassion for my sibblings lets them get away with things that they usually wouldn't get away with when my father is around, and this in turn begins to create chaos. But when he's around there is a general feeling of order due to the difference in authority, which leads to a much happier atmosphere. My mother and father have the same level of authority in the house, but I trust my father a lot more to make logical decisions for the good of the family.

We can look back at the early days of humans and see how males have almost always taken up leadership roles in their communities...and this isn't because they read it in the Qur'an, but because it's a natural instinct.

But does this mean that women can never make any decisions? Heck no. It just means that men in general, not always, are more capable of making better decisions than women in matters of leadership due to the natural instincts given to them by Allah. Also, if you ever read any of the "dating tips" they post on Yahoo! or other sites like that, you'd see a lot of psychology professionals saying that women are interested in men who will lead them, who are strong in character and who take control. Is this not another natural instinct of women?

So I guess my point is this: if a man is to be the head of the family, the leader, and he's not a Muslim, then it's safe to say that the chance of allowing the children proper exposure to Islam is a lot less than if the situation were reversed.

The last commen I'd like to make, and at the same time a question, does Islam forbid women from being president, queen, etc? As far as I know, those positions are halal.

Think about that...and let's hear ur feedback insha-Allah.

Abdul Fattah
07-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Perhaps this might be of some help to:

From tafsir ibn kathir, an explenation of Al-baqara verse 111 to 113

[وَقَالُواْ لَن يَدْخُلَ الْجَنَّةَ إِلاَّ مَن كَانَ هُودًا أَوْ نَصَـرَى تِلْكَ أَمَانِيُّهُمْ قُلْ هَاتُواْ بُرْهَـنَكُمْ إِن كُنتُمْ صَـدِقِينَ - بَلَى مَنْ أَسْلَمَ وَجْهَهُ لِلَّهِ وَهُوَ مُحْسِنٌ فَلَهُ أَجْرُهُ عِندَ رَبِّهِ وَلاَ خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلاَ هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ - وَقَالَتِ الْيَهُودُ لَيْسَتِ النَّصَـرَى عَلَى شَىْءٍ وَقَالَتِ النَّصَـرَى لَيْسَتِ الْيَهُودُ عَلَى شَىْءٍ وَهُمْ يَتْلُونَ الْكِتَـبَ كَذَلِكَ قَالَ الَّذِينَ لاَ يَعْلَمُونَ مِثْلَ قَوْلِهِمْ فَاللَّهُ يَحْكُمُ بَيْنَهُمْ يَوْمَ الْقِيَـمَةِ فِيمَا كَانُواْ فِيهِ يَخْتَلِفُونَ ]

(111. And they say, "None shall enter Paradise unless he be a Jew or a Christian.'' These are their own desires. Say (O Muhammad ), "Produce your Burhan if you are truthful.'') (112. Yes! But whoever submits his face (himself) to Allah (i.e. follows Allah's religion of Islamic Monotheism) and he is a Muhsin then his reward is with his Lord (Allah), on such shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.) (113. The Jews said that the Christians follow nothing (i.e. are not on the right religion); and the Christians said that the Jews follow nothing (i.e. are not on the right religion); though they both recite the Scripture. Like unto their word, said those (the pagans) who know not. Allah will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection about that wherein they have been differing.)
The Hopes of the People of the Book

Allah made the confusion of the Jews and the Christians clear, since they claim that no one will enter Paradise, unless he is a Jew or a Christian. Similarly, Allah mentioned their claims in Surat Al-Ma'idah:

[نَحْنُ أَبْنَاءُ اللَّهِ وَأَحِبَّاؤُهُ]

(We are the children of Allah and His loved ones) (5:18).

Allah refuted this false claim and informed them that they will be punished because of their sins. Previously we mentioned their claim that the Fire would not touch them for more than a few days, after which they would be put in Paradise. Allah rebuked this claim, and He said about this baseless claim, m

[تِلْكَ أَمَانِيُّهُمْ]

(These are their own desires). Abu Al-`Aliyah commented, "These are wishes that they wished Allah would answer, without basis.'' Similar was stated by Qatadah and Ar-Rabi` bin Anas. Allah then said,

[قُلْ]

(Say) meaning, "Say O Muhammad:''

[هَاتُواْ بُرْهَـنَكُمْ]

("Produce your Burhan...'') meaning, "Your proof'', as Abu Al-`Aliyah, Mujahid, As-Suddi and Ar-Rabi` bin Anas stated. Qatadah said that the Ayah means, "Bring the evidence that supports your statement,

[إِن كُنتُمْ صَـدِقِينَ]

(if you are truthful) in your claim. ''

Allah then said,

[بَلَى مَنْ أَسْلَمَ وَجْهَهُ لِلَّهِ وَهُوَ مُحْسِنٌ]

(Yes! But whoever submits his face (himself) to Allah (i.e. follows Allah's religion of Islamic Monotheism) and he is a Muhsin) meaning, "Whoever performs deeds in sincerity, for Allah alone without partners.'' In a similar statement, Allah said,

[فَإنْ حَآجُّوكَ فَقُلْ أَسْلَمْتُ وَجْهِىَ للَّهِ وَمَنِ اتَّبَعَنِ]

(So if they dispute with you (Muhammad ) say: "I have submitted myself to Allah (in Islam), and (so have) those who follow me.'') (3:20)

Abu Al-`Aliyah and Ar-Rabi` said that,

[بَلَى مَنْ أَسْلَمَ وَجْهَهُ لِلَّهِ]

(Yes! But whoever submits his face (himself) to Allah) means, "Whoever is sincere with Allah.''

Also, Sa`id bin Jubayr said that,

[بَلَى مَنْ أَسْلَمَ]

(Yes! But whoever submits) means, he is sincere,

[وَجْهَهُ]

(his face (himself)) meaning, in his religion.

[وَهُوَ مُحْسِنٌ]

(and he is a Muhsin) following the Messenger . For there are two conditions for deeds to be accepted; the deed must be performed for Allah's sake alone and conform to the Shari`ah. When the deed is sincere, but does not conform to the Shari`ah, then it will not be accepted. The Messenger of Allah said,

«مَنْ عَمِلَ عَمَلًا لَيْسَ عَلَيْهِ أَمْرُنَا فَهُوَ رَد»

(Whoever performs a deed that does not conform with our matter (religion), then it will be rejected.)

This Hadith was recorded by Muslim. Therefore, the good deeds of the priests and rabbis will not be accepted, even if they are sincerely for Allah alone, because these deeds do not conform with the method of the Messenger , who was sent for all mankind. Allah said regarding such cases,

[وَقَدِمْنَآ إِلَى مَا عَمِلُواْ مِنْ عَمَلٍ فَجَعَلْنَاهُ هَبَآءً مَّنثُوراً ]

(And We shall turn to whatever deeds they (disbelievers, polytheists, sinners) did, and We shall make such deeds as scattered floating particles of dust.) (25:23)

[وَالَّذِينَ كَفَرُواْ أَعْمَـلُهُمْ كَسَرَابٍ بِقِيعَةٍ يَحْسَبُهُ الظَّمْآنُ مَآءً حَتَّى إِذَا جَآءَهُ لَمْ يَجِدْهُ شَيْئاً]

(As for those who disbelieved, their deeds are like a mirage in a desert. The thirsty one thinks it to be water, until he comes up to it, he finds it to be nothing.) (24:39) and,

[وُجُوهٌ يَوْمَئِذٍ خَـشِعَةٌ - عَامِلَةٌ نَّاصِبَةٌ - تَصْلَى نَاراً حَامِيَةً - تُسْقَى مِنْ عَيْنٍ ءَانِيَةٍ ]

(Some faces, that Day will be humiliated. Laboring, weary. They will enter in the hot blazing Fire. They will be given to drink from a boiling spring) (88:2-5).

When the deed conforms to the Shari`ah outwardly, but the person did not perform it sincerely for Allah alone, the deed will also be rejected, as in the case of the hypocrites and those who do their deeds to show off. Similarly, Allah said,

[إِنَّ الْمُنَـفِقِينَ يُخَـدِعُونَ اللَّهَ وَهُوَ خَادِعُهُمْ وَإِذَا قَامُواْ إِلَى الصَّلَوةِ قَامُواْ كُسَالَى يُرَآءُونَ النَّاسَ وَلاَ يَذْكُرُونَ اللَّهَ إِلاَّ قَلِيلاً ]

(Verily, the hypocrites seek to deceive Allah, but it is He Who deceives them. And when they stand up for As-Salah (the prayer), they stand with laziness to be seen by people, and they do not remember Allah but little.) (4:142) and,

[فَوَيْلٌ لِّلْمُصَلِّينَ - الَّذِينَ هُمْ عَن صَلَـتِهِمْ سَاهُونَ - الَّذِينَ هُمْ يُرَآءُونَ - وَيَمْنَعُونَ الْمَاعُونَ ]

(So woe unto those performers of Salah (prayers) (hypocrites). Those who delay their Salah (from their stated fixed times). Those who do good deeds only to be seen (of men). And withhold Al-Ma`un (small kindnesses)) (107:4-7).

This is why Allah said,

[فَمَن كَانَ يَرْجُو لِقَآءَ رَبِّهِ فَلْيَعْمَلْ عَمَلاً صَـلِحاً وَلاَ يُشْرِكْ بِعِبَادَةِ رَبِّهِ أَحَدَا]

(So whoever hopes for the meeting with his Lord, let him work righteousness and associate none as a partner in the worship of his Lord) (18: 110).

He also said in this Ayah,

[بَلَى مَنْ أَسْلَمَ وَجْهَهُ لِلَّهِ وَهُوَ مُحْسِنٌ]

(Yes, but whoever submits his face (himself) to Allah (follows Allah's religion of Islamic Monotheism) and he is a Muhsin).

Allah's statement,

[فَلَهُمْ أَجْرُهُمْ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ وَلاَ خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلاَ هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ]

(Shall have their reward with their Lord, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve) guaranteed them the rewards and safety from what they fear and should avoid.

[فَلاَ خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ]

(There shall be no fear on them) in the future,

[وَلاَ هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ]

(nor shall they grieve) about what they abandoned in the past. Moreover, Sa`id bin Jubayr said,

[فَلاَ خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ]

"(There shall be no fear on them) in the Hereafter, and

[وَلاَ هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ]

(nor shall they grieve) about their imminent death.''

The Jews and Christians dispute among Themselves out of Disbelief and Stubbornness

Allah said,

[وَقَالَتِ الْيَهُودُ لَيْسَتِ النَّصَـرَى عَلَى شَىْءٍ وَقَالَتِ النَّصَـرَى لَيْسَتِ الْيَهُودُ عَلَى شَىْءٍ وَهُمْ يَتْلُونَ الْكِتَـبَ]

(The Jews said that the Christians follow nothing (i.e. are not on the right religion); and the Christians said that the Jews follow nothing (i.e. are not on the right religion); though they both recite the Scripture.)

Allah explained the disputes, hatred and stubbornness that the People of the Book have towards each other. Muhammad bin Ishaq reported that Ibn `Abbas said, "When a delegation of Christians from Najran came to the Messenger of Allah , the Jewish rabbis came and began arguing with them before the Messenger of Allah . Rafi` bin Huraymilah said, `You do not follow anything,' and he reiterated his disbelief in Jesus and the Injil. Then a Christian man from Najran's delegation said to the Jews, `Rather, you do not follow anything,' and he reiterated his rejection of Musa's prophethood and his disbelief in the Torah. So Allah revealed the Ayah,

[وَقَالَتِ الْيَهُودُ لَيْسَتِ النَّصَـرَى عَلَى شَىْءٍ وَقَالَتِ النَّصَـرَى لَيْسَتِ الْيَهُودُ عَلَى شَىْءٍ وَهُمْ يَتْلُونَ الْكِتَـبَ]

(The Jews said that the Christians follow nothing (i.e. are not on the right religion); and the Christians said that the Jews follow nothing (i.e. are not on the right religion); though they both recite the Scripture. )''

Allah made it clear that each party read the affirmation of what they claimed to reject in their Book. Consequently, the Jews disbelieve in Jesus, even though they have the Torah in which Allah took their Covenant by the tongue of Moses to believe in Jesus. Also, the Gospel contains Jesus' assertion that Moses' prophethood and the Torah came from Allah. Yet, each party disbelieved in what the other party had.

Allah said,

[كَذَلِكَ قَالَ الَّذِينَ لاَ يَعْلَمُونَ مِثْلَ قَوْلِهِمْ]

(Like unto their word, said those who know not) thus exposing the ignorance displayed by the Jews and the Christians concerning their statements that we mentioned. There is a difference of opinion regarding the meaning of Allah's statement,

[الَّذِينَ لاَ يَعْلَمُونَ]

(who know not)

For instance, Ar-Rabi` bin Anas and Qatadah said that,

[كَذَلِكَ قَالَ الَّذِينَ لاَ يَعْلَمُونَ]

(Like unto their word, said those said those who know not) means, "The Christians said similar statements to the Jews.'' Ibn Jurayj asked `Ata' "Who are those `who know not''' `Ata' said, "Nations that existed before the Jews and the Christians and before the Torah and the Gospel.'' Also, As-Suddi said that,

[قَالَ الَّذِينَ لاَ يَعْلَمُونَ]

(said those who know not) is in reference to the Arabs who said that Muhammad was not following anything (i. e. did not follow a true or existing religion). Abu Ja`far bin Jarir chose the view that this Ayah is general and that there is no evidence that specifically supports any of these explanations. So interpreting the Ayah in a general way is better. Allah knows best.

Allah said,

[فَاللَّهُ يَحْكُمُ بَيْنَهُمْ يَوْمَ الْقِيَـمَةِ فِيمَا كَانُواْ فِيهِ يَخْتَلِفُونَ]

(Allah will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection about that wherein they have been differing.) meaning, that Allah will gather them all on the Day of Return. On that Day, Allah will justly judge between them, for He is never unjust with anyone, even as little as the weight of an atom. This Ayah is similar to Allah's statement in Surat Al-Hajj (22:17),

[إِنَّ الَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ وَالَّذِينَ هَادُواْ وَالصَّـبِئِينَ وَالنَّصَـرَى وَالْمَجُوسَ وَالَّذِينَ أَشْرَكُواْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَفْصِلُ بَيْنَهُمْ يَوْمَ الْقِيـمَةِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَلَى كُلِّ شَىْءٍ شَهِيدٌ ]

(Verily, those who believe (in Allah and in His Messenger Muhammad ), and those who are Jews, and the Sabians, and the Christians, and the Majus, and those who associate partners with Allah; truly, Allah will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection. Verily, Allah is over all things a Witness).

Allah said,

[قُلْ يَجْمَعُ بَيْنَنَا رَبُّنَا ثُمَّ يَفْتَحُ بَيْنَنَا بِالْحَقِّ وَهُوَ الْفَتَّاحُ الْعَلِيمُ ]

(Say: "Our Lord will assemble us all together (on the Day of Resurrection), then He will judge between us with truth. And He is the Just Judge, the Knower of the true state of affairs.'') (34:26).

[وَمَنْ أَظْلَمُ مِمَّن مَّنَعَ مَسَـجِدَ اللَّهِ أَن يُذْكَرَ فِيهَا اسْمُهُ وَسَعَى فِى خَرَابِهَآ أُوْلَـئِكَ مَا كَانَ لَهُمْ أَن يَدْخُلُوهَآ إِلاَّ خَآئِفِينَ لَهُمْ فِى الدُّنْيَا خِزْىٌ وَلَهُمْ فِى الاٌّخِرَةِ عَذَابٌ عَظِيمٌ

From Ibn kathir, an explanation of An-Nur verse 39-40

[وَالَّذِينَ كَفَرُواْ أَعْمَـلُهُمْ كَسَرَابٍ بِقِيعَةٍ يَحْسَبُهُ الظَّمْآنُ مَآءً حَتَّى إِذَا جَآءَهُ لَمْ يَجِدْهُ شَيْئاً وَوَجَدَ اللَّهَ عِندَهُ فَوَفَّـهُ حِسَابَهُ وَاللَّهُ سَرِيعُ الْحِسَابِ - أَوْ كَظُلُمَـتٍ فِى بَحْرٍ لُّجِّىٍّ يَغْشَـهُ مَوْجٌ مِّن فَوْقِهِ مَوْجٌ مِّن فَوْقِهِ سَحَابٌ ظُلُمَـتٌ بَعْضُهَا فَوْقَ بَعْضٍ إِذَآ أَخْرَجَ يَدَهُ لَمْ يَكَدْ يَرَاهَا وَمَن لَّمْ يَجْعَلِ اللَّهُ لَهُ نُوراً فَمَا لَهُ مِن نُورٍ ]

(39. As for those who disbelieved, their deeds are like a mirage in a Qi`ah. The thirsty one thinks it to be water until he comes up to it, he finds it to be nothing; but he finds Allah with him, Who will pay him his due. And Allah is swift in taking account.) (40. Or like the darkness in a vast deep sea, overwhelmed with waves topped by waves, topped by dark clouds, (layers of) darkness upon darkness: if a man stretches out his hand, he can hardly see it! And he for whom Allah has not appointed light, for him there is no light.)

Two Examples of two kinds of Disbelievers

These are two examples which Allah sets forth of two kinds of disbelievers. Similarly He sets forth two parables of the hypocrites at the beginning of Surat Al-Baqarah: one involving fire and the other involving water. Similarly, in Surat Ar-Ra`d He gives two parables of the guidance and knowledge that are instilled in the heart, again involving fire and water; we have discussed each of them in the appropriate place and there is no need to repeat it here, praise be to Allah. The first of these two examples is that of the disbelievers who call others to their disbelief, thinking that they have good actions and beliefs, when this is not in fact the case. Their likeness is that of a mirage which is seen in a desert plain, looking from a distance as if it is a deep sea. The word Qi`ah refers to a vast, flat, level area of land in which the mirage may appear. There are different kinds of mirage, one which appears after midday, and another which appears in the morning and looks like water between heaven and earth. If a person who is in need of water sees the mirage, he thinks that it is water so he heads towards it in order to drink from it, but when he reaches it,

[لَمْ يَجِدْهُ شَيْئاً]

(he finds it to be nothing.); Similarly the disbeliever thinks that he is doing something good and that he has achieved something, but when Allah judges him on the Day of Resurrection, and brings him to account and examines his deeds, he will find that nothing has been accepted at all, either because of a lack of sincere belief or because he did not follow the proper ways of the Shari`ah. As Allah says:

[وَقَدِمْنَآ إِلَى مَا عَمِلُواْ مِنْ عَمَلٍ فَجَعَلْنَاهُ هَبَآءً مَّنثُوراً ]

(And We shall turn to whatever deeds they did, and We shall make such deeds as scattered floating particles of dust.) [25:23]. And He says here:

[وَوَجَدَ اللَّهَ عِندَهُ فَوَفَّـهُ حِسَابَهُ وَاللَّهُ سَرِيعُ الْحِسَابِ]

(but he finds Allah with him, who will pay him his due. And Allah is swift in taking account.) A similar view was also narrated from Ubayy bin Ka`b, Ibn `Abbas, Mujahid, Qatadah and others. In the Two Sahihs, it is reported that on the Day of Resurrection it will be said to the Jews, "What did you used to worship'' They will say, "We used to worship `Uzayr the son of Allah.'' It will be said to them, "You have lied. Allah has not begotten a son. What do you want'' They will say, "O Lord, we are thirsty, give us something to drink.'' It will be said to them, "Do you not see'' Then Hell will be shown to them as if it is a mirage, parts of it consuming other parts, and they will go and fall into it. This is the parable of one whose ignorance is deep and advanced. As for those whose ignorance is simple, those who are uneducated and foolish and blindly follow the leaders of disbelief, knowing and understanding nothing, their parable is as Allah says: d

[أَوْ كَظُلُمَـتٍ فِى بَحْرٍ لُّجِّىٍّ يَغْشَـهُ مَوْجٌ مِّن فَوْقِهِ مَوْجٌ مِّن فَوْقِهِ سَحَابٌ ظُلُمَـتٌ بَعْضُهَا فَوْقَ بَعْضٍ إِذَآ أَخْرَجَ يَدَهُ لَمْ يَكَدْ يَرَاهَا]

(Or like the darkness in a vast deep sea, overwhelmed with waves topped by waves, topped by dark clouds, darkness upon darkness: if a man stretches out his hand, he can hardly see it!) meaning, he can hardly see it because it is so intensely dark. This is the parable of the heart of the disbeliever whose ignorance is simple, who merely follows and does not know the true nature of the one whom he follows or where he is going. He is like the ignorant man in the parable who was asked, "Where are you going'' He said, "With them.'' He was asked, "Where are they going'' He said, "I do not know.''

[ظُلُمَـتٌ بَعْضُهَا فَوْقَ بَعْضٍ]

(darkness upon darkness) Ubayy bin Ka`b said: "He is enveloped in five types of darkness: his speech is darkness, his deeds are darkness, his coming in is darkness, his going out is darkness and his destiny on the Day of Resurrection will be darkness in the fire of Hell.'' As-Suddi and Ar-Rabi` bin Anas also said something similar.

[وَمَن لَّمْ يَجْعَلِ اللَّهُ لَهُ نُوراً فَمَا لَهُ مِن نُورٍ]

(And he for whom Allah has not appointed light, for him there is no light.) One whom Allah does not guide is ignorant and doomed, an utter loser and disbeliever. This is like the Ayah:

[مَن يُضْلِلِ اللَّهُ فَلاَ هَادِيَ لَهُ]

(Whomsoever Allah sends astray, none can guide him) [7:186] This is in contrast to what Allah says about the believers:

[يَهْدِى اللَّهُ لِنُورِهِ مَن يَشَآءُ]

(Allah guides to His Light whom He wills. ) [24:35] We ask Allah the Almighty to put light in our hearts and give us light on our right and on our left, and to increase us in light.

Again, I wasn't able to give a direct answer, but I hope this somehow helps.

Eric H
07-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Greetings and peace be with you cinnamon; welcome to the forum, I believe that you have a great need to search for a just, fair, loving and merciful God, and you must not give up this search.

The same God who created you and gave you a faith through Islam, also created me and has given me a faith through Christianity. Likewise in Christianity we have the God who condemns disbelievers to hell.

The chances are that you will remain a Muslim for the rest of your life and I will remain a Christian, so what should we do? If we try and convert each other we will inevitably turn the other person away.

I have family and friends who are of other faiths and no faith, I would not like to see them condemned to hell because they do not believe as I do. The most I feel we can do is pray for each other and hope that God is forgiving and merciful to all people despite our differences.

I believe in all scriptures there is a mixture of both condemning and merciful text, yet the passages that seem most quoted are the condemning ones; and I have to ask why that should be?

In the spirit of praying for a greater interfaith understanding and friendship.

Eric

Muslim Woman
07-23-2007, 10:03 AM

First of all, I don't understand why shirk is a more severe sin than a murder,

-- i m in a hurry .....writing a short ans.

About shirk , a read an explanation that may interests u . It's a bad translation ....hope , u will get the main point.

Suppose a husband has 2 wives. One wife is beautiful , good cook , polite & other wife does not have any of these qualities.

One day ,the husband finds out that beautiful wife shares bed with other men .......will it be possible for him to forgive her despite her various good qualities ?

Other wife who is ugly , rude is sincere to husband & despite her bad qualities has a wonderful quality---she does not share bed with other men--does not matter how rich , handsome they are because she believes only husband has right to share bed with her.

The husband will be pleased with whom ? A wife who cheats him surely does not deserve the final reward...right ??

Thus , only God has right to be worshipped....no other has any right to be worshipped. Human being and angel deserve respect but not worship.

The believers who dont associate parnter with God will get the final reward on the Last Day.
Others will get rewards in this world only because they cheated God , they worshipped
other dieties besides God.

Shirk is a major sin not only regarding Quran but other major holy books describe it as a sin.

Insha Allah will read rest of ur post later.

sevgi
07-23-2007, 10:42 AM
i think u need to find a capable person in ur area who u can get together with and discuss ur issues sis...

its not gna work like this.

i dnt think there is any harm in letting us no where u are.

but its up to u...i just think that u desperately need real help and i think this isnt the ultimate mode to obtain it.

masallama.

Woodrow
07-23-2007, 11:11 AM

Very good question. I really think it is impossible for a human to answer your question adequately. I can understand how it is such a horrible sin when a person commits it deliberatly, when a person knows Allah(swt) exists and then willfully chooses to worship another. This would be total rejection of Allah(swt) and seeking to be more powerful and greater than He is. The punishment than is not just simply a decision made by Allah(swt) it is a path a person picks on his own decision and deliberately chooses hellfire over the love of Allah(swt).

Now when it is committed out of ignorance or unknowingly I do not know how Allah(swt) will judge that. However, I do trust in the mercy and true judgment of Allah(swt) and accept the fact that his decision will be fair and all factors will be justly considered.

Muslim Woman
07-25-2007, 01:50 AM
:sl:

beating women
again a short ,quick reply.

Prophet Muhammed (p) is our role model...he never beat any of his wives.

Once he was angry with all his wives , then he left home & spent days & nights at mosque but did not scold or beat anyone.

If all Muslim husbands start following this example ,the earth will become almost heaven like :D

It's a pity that neither the Muslim men nor the women are conscious about the rights Islam gave to women :(

If husband is bad , a Muslim woman has right to go for divorce & re-marry after the Iddat time/ waiting period.

Pl. read some good articles on Islam ....InshaAllah ur confusion will be removed

one related link :)

WOMEN IN ISLAM VERSUS WOMEN IN THE
JUDAEO-CHRISTIAN TRADITION: THE MYTH
&
THE REALITY

BY Dr. Sherif Abdel Azeem

http://www.islamworld.net/compwomen.html

- Qatada -
07-25-2007, 04:08 PM
:salamext:

About the 'beating women' thing;

Allaah says in the Qur'an:

(And verily, you [O Muhammad] are on an exalted (standard of) character.) [Qur'an Al Qalam (the Pen) 68:4]

(And verily, you are on an exalted (standard of) character.) "It has been mentioned to us that Sa`d bin Hisham asked `A'ishah about the character of the Messenger of Allah , so she replied: `Have you not read the Qur'an' Sa`d said: `Of course.' Then she said: `Verily, the character of the Messenger of Allah was the Qur'an.''' `Abdur-Razzaq recorded similar to this and Imam Muslim recorded it in his Sahih on the authority of Qatadah in its full length. This means that he would act according to the commands and the prohibition in the Qur'an.

His nature and character were patterned according to the Qur'an, and he abandoned his natural disposition (i.e., the carnal nature). So whatever the Qur'an commanded, he did it, and whatever it forbade, he avoided it. Along with this, Allah gave him the exalted character, which included the qualities of modesty, kindness, bravery, pardoning, gentleness and every other good characteristic.

This is like that which has been confirmed in the Two Sahihs that Anas said, "I served the Messenger of Allah for ten years, and he never said a word of displeasure to me (Uff), nor did he ever say to me concerning something I had done: `Why did you do that' And he never said to me concerning something I had not done: `Why didn't you do this' He had the best character, and I never touched any silk or anything else that was softer than the palm of the Messenger of Allah . And I never smelled any musk or perfume that had a better fragrance than the sweat of the Messenger of Allah.'' Imam Al-Bukhari recorded that Al-Bara' said, "The Messenger of Allah had the most handsome face of all the people, and he had the best behavior of all of the people. And he was not tall, nor was he short.'' The Hadiths concerning this matter are numerous. Abu `Isa At-Tirmidhi has a complete book on this subject called Kitab Ash-Shama'il.

Imam Ahmad recorded that `A'ishah said, "The Messenger of Allah never struck a servant of his with his hand, nor did he ever hit a woman. He never hit anything with his hand, except for when he was fighting Jihad in the cause of Allah. And he was never given the option between two things except that the most beloved of the two to him was the easiest of them, as long as it did not involve sin. If it did involve sin, then he stayed farther away from sin than any of the people. He would not avenge himself concerning anything that was done to him, except if the limits of Allah were transgressed. Then, in that case he would avenge for the sake of Allah.'' Imam Ahmad also recorded from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allah said,

«إِنَّمَا بُعِثْتُ لِأُتَمِّمَ صَالِحَ الْأَخْلَاق»

(I have only been sent to perfect righteous behavior.)

[SOURCE]

zaria
07-25-2007, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=cinnamon;794686]Assalamu alaikom wa rahmatullah,

May Allah make it easy for you to understand the deen and grant you understanding of it.

In this paragraph you asked Allah for forgiveness why becasue he is the only one whom you (we) need to forgive us and associating anything with him is unacceptable because he is the only who who can forgive and open the hearts of the humanbeings to forgive you.

If we didn't have pain, we would not appreciate the pleasure.

Why does hell exist? Wouldn't it be a more touching moment for God to see all sinners' tears when they realize after death that they didn't serve God they way He wanted? Istn't the thought that you didn't make Allah happy with you more painful than all tortments of hell?We have been giving the Quran from Allah (swt) sent to mankind from our Prophet (saw) so that we would do the obligations in the religion to try to make it to paradise insha'allah and some people just choose to do the opposite of the obligations set before us so some have to suffer the hell fire. May Allah protect us all from the hell fire Ameen.

Allah said in the Quran that we are created in order to glorify Him, but on the other hand He says He doesn't need our acts of whorship, they don't make Him more Kabeer. Actually I love sujood, but I want to make it because I feel the moment, not because I have to force myself to pray because soon maghreb time is over while I am exhausted after all day at school.He does not need us but we (mankind) need him so we need to do eveything to try to please Allah (swt) so that he may bless us (the believers) with Paradise.

Next thing I don't get is hijab. First of all hijab catches attention (at least in eastern europe where I live) and the idea of hijab is the opposite. I don't wear it and I don't feel I'm doing something bad, because Allah said, that if a fard action is dangerous for you to do, you are allowed to give it up, and don't tell me wearing hijab doesn't expose you to dangers. Can't you see Europe is full of hatred towards foreigners and many youth people become nationalists and there were MANY accidents of violence towards us? Am I supposed to get hurt for a sake of a fabric on my hair? I'm not saying a muslimah is to wear a mini skirt, but I can look modest without loose clothes. And it's not my problem that men have manly nature i.e. that they get excited when they gaze at women. The solution of that problem is to lower your gaze!Allah (swt) has odered us to wear it and we should fulfill the obligations. Ask Allah to protect in your hijab. Allah (swt)answeres ALL dua's

What then, hmm... FATE. If some people are destined to go to hell what can they do? They love Allah and would like to meet HIm in jannah, bout their fate is as Allah ordered.We must turn to Allah(swt) in repentance and ask him to forgive us for our sins and wrong doing. Allah (swt) is most merciful. We don't know who is destine for hell or Paradise. only Allah Knows.

Islam makes a man a little bit higher in status than a women. It was men who were kings, who created empires and civilisations. Islam says a woman can't be a king, that a men is more suitable for this position. Is that so? The only achievement of men rule is bad treatment of women, and wars just for the sake of a stupid border line on the map. This is what men civilisations achieved. Congratulations.:heated: In my opinion a woman is not perfect, but in my imagination I see lands ruled by women as more peaceful. Just don't say that crap that a woman is emotionally unstable just because of her menstrual cicle and therefore she can't be a president/imam/khalifah... Allah (swt) has made man to be the protecter/provider of his family. I love it that way. I work because I want to not because I have to, why because it is his duty as a muslim man to provide and protect me and our children. "don't argue with that obligation":giggling

People are narrow-minded, therefore they may understand not, then why Allah forced us to search The Path, to follow it, if we don't understand it? I know it's not only me who have doubts, many muslims have them. Why Allah left so many answers and doubts unanswered? Allah Knows best. but we shouldn't have doubts. Just ask Allah (swt) for understanding of what he did reveal.

That is why you have such things as this forum. Reach out ot other muslims.Don't judge all muslims on a bad experience with one muslim. There are good, trusthworthy muslims around. Ask Allah to guide you to them.

Can someone help me?I will keep you in my dua

May Allah save me...Ameen to the dua

Joey
07-27-2007, 11:43 PM
sorry to go off topic but you mentioned that shirk is the biggest sin that can be committed, but what is shirk exactly

Abdul Fattah
07-28-2007, 02:02 AM
Selam aleykum Joey
Shirk means to associate partners with God.
The first part of the Shahada (Islamic testimony of faith) goes:
La illaha illa Allah

La illaha means: there exist no entity that is worthy of worship.
In other words it is the denial that any entity is worth worshiping and it also means no entity has the right to be worshiped.

illa Allah means: "Except for Allah (=The One God)".
In other words it is the confirmation that Allah does have the right to be worshiped and that it is worth worshiping him.

There are many types of Shirk:

1. Shirk in Rubūbīyah (Lordship)
This category of Shirk refers to either the belief that others share God's Lordship over creation as His equal or near equal, or to the belief that there exists no Lord over creation at all.

(A) Shirk by Association
This is the shirk concerned with associating 'others' with God. Among some Muslim people, Shirk in Ruboobeeyah is manifested in their belief that the souls of saints and other righteous humans can affect the affairs of this world, even after their deaths. Their souls, it is believed, can fulfill one's needs, remove calamities and aid whoever calls on them. Therefore, grave worshippers assign to human souls the divine ability to cause events in this life which in fact only God can cause.

(B) Shirk by Negation
This sub-category represents the various philosophies and ideologies which deny the existence of God either explicitly or implicitly. That is, in some cases God's non-existence is stated (Atheism), while in other cases His existence is claimed, but the way in which He is conceived actually denies His existence (Pantheism).

2. Shirk in al-Asma was-Sifat (the Names and Attributes of God)
Shirk in this category includes both the common pagan practice of giving God the attributes of His creation as well as the act of giving created beings God's names and attributes.

(A) Shirk by Humanization
In this aspect of Shirk in al-Asma was-Sifat, God is given the form and qualities of human beings and animals. Due to man's superiority over animals, the human form is more commonly used by idolaters to represent God in creation. Consequently, the image of the Creator is often painted, moulded or carved in the shape of human beings possessing the physical features of those who worship them.

(B) Shirk by Deification
This form of Shirk in al-Asma was-Sifat relates to cases where created beings or things are given or claim God's names or His attributes. For example, it was the practice of the ancient Arabs to worship idols whose names were derived from the names of God. Their main three idols were: al-Lat taken from God's name al-Elah, al-'Uzza taken from al-'Aziz and al-Manat taken from al-Mannan. During the Prophet Muhammad's era there was also a man in a region of Arabia called Yamamah, who claimed to be a prophet and took the name Rahman which, in Islam, belongs only to God.

3. Shirk In al-'Ibadah (Worship)
In this category of Shirk, acts of worship are directed to other than God and the reward for worship is sought from the creation instead of the Creator. As in the case of the previous categories, Shirk in al-'Ebadah has two main aspects.

(A) Ash-Shirk al-Akbar (Major Shirk):
This form of Shirk occurs when any act of worship is directed to other than God. It represents the most obvious form of idolatry which the prophets were specifically sent by God to call the masses of mankind away from. A muslim commiting this shirk technically is no longer a muslim but becomes a mushrikun (=someone committing shirk)

(B) Ash-Shirk al-Asghar (Minor Shirk):
*Minor shirk
Mahmud ibn Lubayd reported, "God's messenger (peace be upon him) said: "The thing I fear for you the most is ash-Shirk al-Asghar (minor shirk)." The companions asked "Oh! messenger of God, what is minor Shirk?" He replied "Ar-Riya (showing off), for verily God will say on the Day of Resurrection when people are receiving their rewards, 'Go to those for whom you were showing off in the material world and see if you can find any reward from them."
* Secret Shirk
Mahmud ibn Lubayd also said, "The Prophet (peace be upon him) came out and announced, 'O people, beware of secret Shirk!' The people asked, 'O messenger of God, what is secret Shirk?' He replied, 'When a man gets up to pray and strives to beautify his prayer because people are looking at him; that is secret Shirk."

4. Ar-Riya
Riya is the practice of performing any of the various forms of worship in order to be seen and praised by people. This sin destroys all the benefits that lie in righteous deeds and brings on the one who commits it a serious punishment.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.