/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Your Immune System

AmarFaisal
07-21-2007, 09:17 AM
An immune system is a collection of mechanisms within an organism that protects against infection by identifying and killing pathogens and tumor cells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immune_system

I'd like to know how many times in a year do u fall ill. By Illness 'I mean fever, flu, diarrhea, or any other physical illness that'd require rest.

:thumbs_up

What interests me is how some ppl amazingly get sick more often than others who rarely get sick. I'd like to see the ratio.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
highway_trekker
07-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Are you a doc sister?

highway_trekker
07-21-2007, 11:04 AM
You don't need to answer that ukhtee but I hope your poll gets you interesting results!

AmarFaisal
07-21-2007, 11:19 AM
No sister, I am not a doc.. But this thing makes me think a lot..
How can my husband fall sick twice or thrice every year..while I fall sick once in 3 yrs!!!!..

He seems healthier than me...and I am much weaker than him.

I'd like to see the poll results n then ask someone knowledgable abt this phenomenon. Inshallah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
highway_trekker
07-21-2007, 11:32 AM
How can my husband fall sick twice or thrice every year..while I fall sick once in 3 yrs!!!!..
Mashaa'Allaah, I will leave the 'comedians' on this forum to answer that one!!!

highway_trekker
07-21-2007, 11:43 AM
The immune system actually becomes stronger with greater exposure to the pathogen, microbe, etc. The antibodies (in the white blood cells) are then able to protect the body from the pathogen for the next time (the same way the vaccination and immunisation works). Some people are more exposed to illness and so become more immune to them (though not always the case because teachers are at most risk from the flu etc because of their close contact with children). Some people have a weaker immune system because of other factors including stress, hormone imbalance, poor diet, anxiety or an uncleared infection which is dormant in the body.

Star
07-21-2007, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AmarFaisal
while I fall sick once in 3 yrs!!!!..
ukhtee, you are just like me, i very rarely fall ill, cant remember the last time i was ill, it was too long ago.

:w:

H4RUN
07-21-2007, 03:05 PM
:sl:

Just a quick Q...Does the hubby fall sick after he's leant you his credit card? And you've gone on a nice old shopping spree????:playing:

highway_trekker
07-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Just a quick Q...Does the hubby fall sick after he's leant you his credit card? And you've gone on a nice old shopping spree????
The 'comedians' have started...all the best ukhtee fid Deen!!!

AmarFaisal
07-21-2007, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN

Just a quick Q...Does the hubby fall sick after he's leant you his credit card? And you've gone on a nice old shopping spree????:playing:

now i get what u meant by comedians on our forum:D
No Problem..I'l take my brothers/sisters teasers:thankyou:

highway_trekker
07-21-2007, 03:11 PM
*Smiles*

H4RUN
07-21-2007, 03:33 PM

Well, apart from the times in my science lessons that i participated in throwing paper balls around the class:D I did remember one thing.:D...The white blooood cells kickass! They fend for you, fight off ur enemies...EG. MR VIRUS, If u dont have enough of them, the dark side wins:D Which means u lose:D Which in simple terms means u get ill:D

Also Virus jabs are basically dead ol viruses being stuffed back inside you:D In some miraculous way they help keep u imune:D I forgot why:D
So..im guessing your hubby gets a shortage of these white warriors when the 'other' side attack..which just happens to happen when he reads the bills:p

You on the other hand have plenty of the white warriors fending for you, and you've probably had most of the common viruses before, so now your immune cos them clever things in your blood cells remember the magic formula:p

Did i confuse the matter just a tad? :playing:

Star
07-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Did i confuse the matter just a tad? :playing:
not 4 me u didnt, y were u inteding 2??? :D

Ubaidah
07-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Like clockwork I get a sinus infection at the beginning of spring and the beginning of fall.

H4RUN
07-21-2007, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Star
not 4 me u didnt, y were u inteding 2??? :D

No. not especially, but i can if u want:D But then dont ask me what a certain bit meant, cos there's no guarantees that i know what i wrote:p:D

AHOY the white warriors, Fight u shall! Conquer u shall! Succeed u shall!...unless you're THE husband...good luck mate:p

sevgi
07-21-2007, 04:36 PM
well i get ill every three months or so...but i find that ive learnt how to look after myself a lot better throughout the years of living away from home...so i get through it a lot quicker and easier.

highway_trekker
07-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Yeh...students...professionals...they just learn to get on with it...no time to be off sick!

Star
07-21-2007, 04:46 PM

No. not especially, but i can if u want:D But then dont ask me what a certain bit meant, cos there's no guarantees that i know what i wrote:p:D

AHOY the white warriors, Fight u shall! Conquer u shall! Succeed u shall!...unless you're THE husband...good luck mate:p
lol akhee, ur funny, do ur best 2 confuse me, i'll c if u cn.

highway_trekker
07-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Star, Are you taking on a scientific challenge?!?! Must be good at science?

Star
07-21-2007, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by highway_trekker
Star, Are you taking on a scientific challenge?!?! Must be good at science?
yup, yup, science is my fav subject, i think im good @ it, my GCSE results will reveal all though.

AmarFaisal
07-21-2007, 05:31 PM
According to the poll results uptill now ( only 8 members voted) rougly 60% of us have excellent immune systems, falling ill very rarely. Others are a bit on the weaker side.

Just as one of the memebers said, Ppl with ENT allergies fall sick more often than others. They usually fall sick at the begining of every season!!

snakelegs
07-22-2007, 02:51 AM
i get sick about once a year - and then it is nothing major - just a cold. i am much healthier than most people i know, even though i have a neurological disease which will kill me if i live long enough. :statisfie

Keltoi
07-22-2007, 03:48 AM
I get sick about once a year, sometimes a little longer than a year. Usually nothing major, just a cough and congestion.

AmarFaisal
07-22-2007, 06:21 AM
Mashallah, healthy ppl around.
My brother, younger sisters, fall ill with fever, cough, congestion, etc etc atleast 2 times ever year. It was confusing to me how me being elder do not fall ill as much as them who r younger than me.

However, I am anemic, so if the WBCs r responsible for our immun system being strong, I am a person with a very less count of RBCs. Doesn't that effect the WBCs as they both live together in the same enviroment (our blood)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.