/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Am I doing enough?

Ubaidah
07-21-2007, 02:23 PM
:sl:

Well it's been almost a year since my reversion to Islam. And I honestly have never been happier in my life. I wake up every morning with just a general sense of peace and happiness that used to be empty. God has given me the greatest gift I could ever ask for by showing me the way to Islam. But I just cannot help but feel as though I'm not doing enough.

Overall I feel as though I'm going well with my prayers and the like. Which I know will continue to improve with the course of time. What I am talking about it my feeling of still being an outsider.

Since reverting to Islam, I've started branching out. I just recently went to my local Mosque, which was AMAZING. Some of the people whom were there were quite possibly the nicest people I've ever met. But yet and still, some gave the the awkward looks, and some would even greet me when I greeted them.

Also, I find myself not really following the line of thinking that many Muslims do. On other boards (not this one), I find myself disagreeing with MANY of my brothers & sisters opinions. Whether it be about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, the U.S. as a whole, or some other of the "hot button" issues. And while it isn't the absolute end of the world, it's just another straw on the camels back.

Am I just being over dramatic? Am I putting too much pressure on myself? Because in my eyes, I'm doing what God wants of me. I'm following the Qu'Ran and the practices of the Prophet (PBUH). So why do I feel like I'm still not doing enough? I know this is a tough question to answer, but maybe by me just getting this off my chest and out in the open is what I needed and Insha'Allah everything will work itself out.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Silver Pearl
07-21-2007, 05:32 PM
:wasalamex

Mashallaah. It is natural to think that what we are doing is not sufficient.

While the sahabi were gathered in the masjid with the prophet (may the peace and blessing of Allaah be upon him) a man walked in and the prophet (may the peace and blessing of Allaah be upon him) said the man would enter jannah. This man was not known by the sahabi as they rarely saw him in the masjid. The following day the same thing happened and the prophet (may the peace and blessing of Allaah be upon him) replied with the same statament and then the third day the same happened and the same comment was made by the prophet (may the peace and blessing of Allaah be upon him). Abdullaah ibn Masud (radiallaahu anhu) asked the man if he could follow him home to see what this man did that was so special to make him a dweller in jannah. After observing the man for 3 days, he came to realise that the man did nothing expect the basic. So the sahabi asked what do you do that is different? he replied: nothing but what you have seen me do. Except every night before I sleep I clean my heart from having any ill feelings towards anyone who harmed me or hurt me.

The hadeeth has been paraphrased but the point is, Islaam is very simple and this hadeeth reinforces this. In addition Allaah says: La yukalifu-llaah nafsan il wus3aha (Al-baqarah: last verse). So don't burden yourself but strive to what you can do inshallaah. Try joining in brother circles in your local mosque if you can?

Learn dua and try to implement that or learn hadeeth a week and try to follow the teachings of that hadeeth. The 42 ahadeeth of Imam Nawawi (rahimullaah) are great to learn and impliment.

May Allaah forgive me if I have said something wrong and correct me if I've made any errors.

May Allaah grant you jannah.

جوري
07-21-2007, 11:28 PM
it means you are an individual.. with your own thoughts, feelings, struggles, and needs. I don't sometimes agree with my own brother and sister whom I love more than my own life.. further, everything in life comes from experience as well as textual learning and integrating the two---that is a life time's worth of perfection... Sometimes you can renew your religion so to speak, many seek the month of Ramdan to do so, sometimes your 'religiosity' is superficial sometimes deep, sometimes deep of superficial and sometimes, the superficial of deep, but it is a constant ijtihad with self to reach that stage and wisdom.. the sister above has a fantastic quote in her signature and really sums it up all well masha'Allah.. her entire post is actually exquisite that I don't need to add much to it at all..
So welcome to Islam and may you continue to learn and grow along with the rest of us on this delightful path insha'Allah
:w:

SATalha
07-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Ya Akhi it doesnt matter if you disagree with some people in these points, thats cool. One thing we must remember is that our main aim is to worship Allah (SWT) fully. So whatever that maybe prayer, Sadakah etc. That is the first and formost thing we need to consider, all the other things come after.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Intisar
07-21-2007, 11:52 PM

Manshallah, I think it's good that you think you're not doing enough because it means that you want to keep on doing more to become a better Muslim. You shouldn't feel bad about it, but it should make you feel better and make your imaan stronger. If you feel this way it only means that you want to be closer to Allah(SWT) and becomer a better Muslim for everything that you do.

BTW, I'm also the same with issues concerning politics and the like. You should only see it as a difference of opinion, which is only human nature.

Yanal
07-22-2007, 01:41 AM
:sl: :sl:
Well to say no muslim can be perfect more than Prophet Muhammad(Pbuh) and his companions so we all get a doubt because the shytaan puts in doubt so we can try to do more and than boom you get tired than all of a sudden a stop so do whatever you can and do it the best put your effort into your studies as well:w: :w:

MustafaMc
07-22-2007, 03:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JMF

Well it's been almost a year since my reversion to Islam. And I honestly have never been happier in my life. I wake up every morning with just a general sense of peace and happiness that used to be empty. God has given me the greatest gift I could ever ask for by showing me the way to Islam. But I just cannot help but feel as though I'm not doing enough.
All praise is due to Allah, Who guided you to the Straight Way!

Consistent practice of the basics is better than trying to do too much and getting overwhelmed.

Overall I feel as though I'm going well with my prayers and the like. Which I know will continue to improve with the course of time (Allah willing). What I am talking about it my feeling of still being an outsider.
I can relate to what you must be feeling. I am a Caucasian American Muslim and there aren't many like me around. Over the years I have grown more accustomed to being around others with a different heritage. I now feel much closer to my African-American, Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Egyptian, Turkish, Palestinian, Syrian and Lybian Muslim brothers than I do my own blood-brother.

Since reverting to Islam, I've started branching out. I just recently went to my local Mosque, which was AMAZING. Some of the people whom were there were quite possibly the nicest people I've ever met. But yet and still, some gave the the awkward looks, and some would even greet me when I greeted them.
It is great that you are going to the local Masjid.

We live in a difficult time. Insha'Allah when the brothers learn of your sincerity, they will be more receptive to you. I wouldn't worry too much if some brothers are more distant, but I would try to find some brothers to form closer relationships with.

Also, I find myself not really following the line of thinking that many Muslims do. On other boards (not this one), I find myself disagreeing with MANY of my brothers & sisters opinions. Whether it be about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, the U.S. as a whole, or some other of the "hot button" issues. And while it isn't the absolute end of the world, it's just another straw on the camels back.
It takes some time to be able to emphasize with the perspective of Muslims from other countries. It is natural to still identify with your own personal heritage.
Am I just being over dramatic? Am I putting too much pressure on myself? Because in my eyes, I'm doing what God wants of me. I'm following the Qu'Ran and the practices of the Prophet (PBUH). So why do I feel like I'm still not doing enough? I know this is a tough question to answer, but maybe by me just getting this off my chest and out in the open is what I needed and Insha'Allah everything will work itself out.
I encourage you to do the best that you can each day, and gradually read more about Islam and continue to grow.

Aisha!
08-06-2007, 10:16 PM
you should start giving dahwah to other people to.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!