/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Concerning Everyday Issues

madeenahsh
08-29-2005, 07:29 AM
Concerning Everyday Issues

By the Shaykh - the Noble Scholar - 'Abdul-'Azeez bin Baaz

IS CLINGING TO THE RELIGION A CAUSE OF AFFLICTION?
[Q]: There was a person in our city who was very firm in practicing the Religion, and was later afflicted with an illness. Some of the people started saying to him that the cause of him being afflicted with this illness is because of his adhering to the Religion. Being affected with this type of talk, the person then shaved off his beard and he neglected his Prayers. So is it permissible to say that the cause of his affliction was due to him clinging to the commandments of the Religion? And the one who says such a thing, is he considered a kaafir (disbeliever) because of such a saying?
[A]: ''Clinging on to the Religion is not a cause for his illness. Rather, it is a cause for every good, both in this life and in the Hereafter. And it is not permissible for any Muslim, that when some foolish and ignorant people utter words such as this, to give them any weight. Nor is it permissible to shave one's beard or shorten it, or to neglect guarding the five obligatory Prayers in congregation. Rather, it is obligatory for such a person to remain steadfast upon the truth, and to keep away from all that Allaah has prohibited, and to beware of all that which angers Allaah and incurs His punishment - by obeying Allaah and His Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, Allaah - the One free from all defects said: "Whosoever obeys Allaah and His Messenger will be admitted into Gardens of Paradise, beneath which rivers flow, to dwell therein forever. That will be the greatest achievement. But whosoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger and oversteps His limits, Allaah will cast him in the Fire, to abide therein; and he shall have a humiliating punishment." [Soorah an-Nisaa 4:13-14]. And Allaah - the Mighty and Majestic - said: "Whosoever has taqwaa (piety, fear and obedience) of Allaah, He will make a way out for him. And He will provide for him from places he could never imagine." [Soorah at-Talaaq 65:2-3]. And He - the Most Perfect - said: "Whosoever has taqwaa of Allaah, He will make his affair easy for him," [Soorah at-Talaaq 65:4]. And the verses with this meaning are plentiful.

As for the person who says that the cause for such affliction is due to being firm and steadfast upon the Religion - then such a person is ignorant. It is obligatory to censure such a person and to know that clinging to the Religion does not bring about anything except good. As for what occurs to a Muslim by way of a calamity that he dislikes, then this is a form of expiating his evil actions and a forgiveness for his sins. As regards to the issue of takfeer (declaring a Muslim to be a kaafir, a disbeliever) upon this person, then this requires detail, and is known from the chapters concerning the judgement upon a murtad (apostate) - which can be found in the books of Islaamic jurisprudence and understanding. And with Allaah is the power and ability."1

CRYING DUE TO ILLNESS
[Q]: I am ill and I sometimes cry because of what happens to me after my illness. Is this considered an action which opposes Allaah and of not being pleased with what He has decreed? I do not do this action willfully. Likewise, does that ruling also include talking to my relatives about my illness?

[A]: "There is no harm in crying, if it is simply tears coming from the eyes, without wailing. This is based upon the statement of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, when his son Ibraaheem passed away: "The eye sheds tears and the heart grieves, yet we do not say anything except what is pleasing to our Lord. By your death - O Ibraaheem - we are indeed in grief."2 The ahaadeeth with this meaning are numerous.

There is also no harm in you speaking about your illness to your relatives and friends, providing that you praise and thank Allaah, glorify Him and ask Him for sound health, following the permissible means. We advise you to patiently persevere and to hope in a reward from Allaah. I give you the glad tidings, as Allaah - the Most High - has said: "Only those who are patient shall recieve their reward in full, without reckoning." [Soorah az-Zumar 39:10]. The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam also said: "A Muslim is not afflicted with fatigue, sorrow, disease or pain - even if it be the pricking of a thorn - except that due to it, Allaah will expiate some of his sins."3 Allaah's Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam also said: "Whosoever Allaah intends good for, He afflicts him with some calamity."4 So we ask Allaah to grant you a cure and sound health, as well as goodness of the heart and actions. Indeed He is the One who hears and the One who responds."5

SAFEGUARDING THE PRAYERS
[Q]: A leaflet was sent to us and with it was a copy of a page which has been distributed amongst the people, and which included a hadeeth attributed to the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam which said: "Whosoever misses the Prayer due to laziness, then Allaah will punish him with fifteen punishments ..." So what is the authenticity of this particular hadeeth?

[A]: "This hadeeth is a lie upon the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam and there is no basis at all for it being authentic - as has been explained by al-Haafidh adh-Dhahabee, rahimahullaah, in al-Meezaan and al-Haafidh Ibn Hajr in Lisaanul-Meezaan. So it is a must that whosoever comes across such a leaflet that he burns it and that he admonishes the one who produced it, in order to defend the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam and to protect his Sunnah from the lies of the liars.

And what has been Recorded in the great Qur'aan and the authentic Sunnah of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam -with regards to the importance of the Prayer and warning against being lazy in performing it and a threat for whosoever does this - is more than sufficient against the lies of the liars. So Allaah - the Most Perfect - said: "Guard strictly your five daily Prayers and in particular the middle Prayer (i.e. the 'Asr Prayer), and stand before Allaah with obedience." [Soorah al-Baqarah 2:238]. And Allaah - the Most Perfect - said: "And then there came after them a people who gave up their Prayer and followed their lusts. So they will be thrown into the Hellfire." [Soorah Maryam 19:59]. And Allaah - the Most High - said: "So woe be upon those who pray; those who delay their Prayer from the fixed stated times." [Soorah al-Maa'oon 107:3-4]. And the verses with this meaning are plentiful.

The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: "The covenant between us and them is the Salaah (Prayer), so whosoever abandons it has committed an act of disbelief." Recorded by Imaam Ahmad and the compilers of the four Sunan with a Saheeh (authentic) isnaad (chain of narration).6 And also his sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam's saying: "Between a person and between al-Kufr (disbelief) and ash-Shirk (associating partners with Allaah in the worship of Allaah) is abandoning the Salaah (Prayer)." Recorded by Muslim in his Saheeh (1/62). Also the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam mentions the Salaah (Prayer) to his Companions one day, saying: "Whosoever safeguards them, then that will be a light, a proof and a means of salvation for him on the Day of Resurrection. But whosoever does not safeguard them, then he has no light, nor proof nor salvation and on the Day of Resurrection he will be gathered along with Fir'awn, Haamaan, Qaaroon and 'Ubayy ibn Khalf." Recorded by Imaam Ahmad with a Hasan isnaad.7

Some of the Scholars have said, in explanation to the above hadeeth, that whosoever leaves the Prayer, the he will be raised up, on the Day of Judgement, along with those kaafirs (disbelievers). Thus, if the reason for his leaving the Prayer was due to leadership, then he has resembled Fir'awn in this, and would be raised along with him and sent to the Fire of the Day of Resurrection. If the reason for leaving the Prayer was due to his ministerial post or a similar occupation, then he has resembled Haamaan, the minister to Fir'awn, and he will be raised along with him on the Day of Resurrection and sent to the Fire. If the reason for leaving the Prayer was due to wealth and false desires, then he has resembled Qaaroon - upon whom Allaah bestowed great wealth, yet he became arrogant against the truth and followed his false desires, due to this wealth - and would be raised up along with him on the Day of Resurrection and sent to the Fire. If the reason for leaving the Prayer was business, or other such social transactions and work, then he has resembled 'Ubayy ibn Khalf, the famous trader from the disbelievers of Makkah - so he will be raised up along with him on the Day of Resurrection and sent to the Fire.

We ask Allaah for forgiveness and protection from their condition and the likes of their condition."8

PRAYING DURING THE FRIDAY SERMON
[Q]: There was a discussion that took place between some brothers and myself regarding praying two rak'ahs upon entering the mosque and the Imaam is delivering the Friday khutbah (sermon). I ask you - O noble Shaykh - to give us a ruling concerning this. Is it allowed or not? The brothers who generally come and pray in the mosque are upon the madhhab of Imaam Maalik.

[A]: "The Sunnah upon entering the masjid (mosque) is to pray two rak'ahs of tahyatul masjid (a Prayer far greeting the mosque), even if the Imaam is delivering the Friday khutbah, due to the sayings of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam: "When anyone of you enters the masjid, then let him not sit until he prays two rak'ahs." Recorded by al-Bukhaaree (1/293) and Muslim (2/155). Likewise Muslim relates in his Saheeh (3/1415), from Jaabir radiallaahu 'anhu, that the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: "When any of you comes on the day of Jumu'ah (Friday), and the Imaam is delivering the khutbah, then let him pray two rak'ahs and let him make them short." So this is a clear and authentic text concerning this issue. It is not permissible for anyone to oppose it. So perhaps this particular narration did not reach Imaam Maalik rahimahullaah, if it is established from him that he prohibited the praying of these two rak'ahs at the time of the khutbah. However, when the authentic Sunnah becomes clear, then it is not permissible to oppose it with the saying of anyone else - whosoever he may be.9 About this Allaah - the Mighty and Majestic - said: "O you who Believe! Obey Allaah and obey the Messenger and those in authority amongst you. And if you differ in anything amongst yourselves then refer it to Allaah and His Messenger if you do believe in Allaah and the Last Day. That is better and most suitable for final determination." [Soorah an-Nisaa 4:59]. And He - the Most Perfect - said: "And in whatever you differ, then the judgement belongs to Allaah," [Soorah ash-Shooraa 42:10]. And it is known that the judgement of Allaah's Messenger sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam is from the judgement of Allaah - the Mighty and Majestic - as Allaah said: "Whosoever obeys the Messenger, has indeed obeyed Allaah." [Soorah an-Nisaa 4:80]. And with Allaah rests the power and ability."10
BEING TOO SHY TO CENSURE EVIL
[Q]: I am a young woman who hates gheebah (backbiting) and nameemah (tale carrying). Sometimes I am amongst a group of people who speak about others and the begin to backbite and spread tales. In my soul, I hate and despise what they are doing, but I am too shy and therefore do not have the ability to make them stop. Also, I have no other place to go to get away from them. Allaah knows that I wish they would start talking about something else. So am I sinful in sitting with them, and what is the obligation upon me in this case? May Allaah grant you what is best for Islaam and the Muslims.

[A]: "In this case you are sinful, unless you repel the evil. If they accept that from you, then all praises are due to Allaah. If they do not accept that from you, then you must leave them and not sit with them. This is because Allaah - the Most High - stated: "When you see those engaged in false conversation about Our Verses, by mocking at them, then keep away from them until they turn to another topic." [Soorah al-An'aam 6:68]. Likewise, the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: "Whosoever sees an evil then let him change it by his hand. if he is unable to do this, then let him change it with his tongue. If he is unable to do this, then let him change it with his heart - and that is the weakest of eemaan (faith)." This was Recorded by Muslim in his Saheeh (no.49). And the verses and narrations with this meaning are plentiful."11

RUNNING AWAY FROM THE QUR'AAN
[Q]: What is your advice - O Shaykh - for those who go without reading the Qur'aan for a month, or even many months, and who have no excuse for such behaviors? However, you will find some of them reading those magazines that contain no benefit for them, and following them up closely!

[A]: "It is recommended for every Believing man and woman to recite the Book of Allaah often, with due contemplation and understanding. This may be done by using a copy of the Qur'aan or from one's memory. Allaah - the Most High - said: "This is a Book which We have sent down to you, full of blessings, that you may ponder over its Verses, and that men of understanding may remember." [Soorah Saad 38:29].And: "Indeed those who recite the Book of Allaah and offer the Prayer perfectly and spend in charity out of what We have provided for them - secretly and openly - hope for a sure trade-gain that will never perish. That He may pay them their wages in full and give them even more out of His Grace. Indeed, He is Oft-Forgiving, ready to appreciate good deeds." [Soorah Faatir 35:29-30].

The aforementioned recitation of the Qur'aan includes both reciting and acting upon it. The recitation is to be done with contemplation and understanding of it. Sincerity to Allaah is a means of complying with and acting upon the Qur'aan, and its recitation contains a great reward - as the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: "Recite the Qur'aan. For on the Day of Resurrection, it shall come as an intercessor for its companion." This was recorded by Muslim in his Saheeh (no.804). The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam also said: "The best of you is he who learns the Qur'aan and teaches it." This was Recorded by al-Bukhaaree in his Saheeh (3/66). Another narration states: "Whosoever reads one harf (letter) of the Qur'aan shall receive a good deed and ten good deeds similar to it. I do not say that Alif Laam Meem is a harf but Alif is a harf and Laam is a harf and Meem is a harf."12 The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said to 'Abdullaah ibn "Amr ibn al-'Aas: "Complete the recitation of the Qur'aan once a month." He said: I am able to do more than that. So he said: "Then complete its recital once in seven days."13 The Companions used to complete the entire Qur'aan once every seven days.

So I advise all the readers of the Qur'aan to increase in their reading of it, with contemplation and understanding it, along with sincerity to Allaah in this - with the purpose of learning and benefiting from the Qur'aan. They should read the entire Qur'aan once a month. If, however, they are able to do more than this without any difficulty, then they should complete it in less than this time. However, it is best not to complete it in less than three days, since this is the least amount of time that the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam mentioned to 'Abdullaah ibn 'Amr ibn al-'Aas. This is because if it is read in less than three days, the person becomes hasty and lacks thought and concentration ..."14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Al-Fataawaa (1/32-33).
2. Recorded by al-Bukhaaree (no.1303) and Muslim (no.2315), from Asmaa bint Yazeed radiallaahu 'anhaa.
3. Recorded by al-Bukhaaree (no.5641) and Muslim (no.2573), from Abu Sa'eed al-Khudree radiallaahu 'anhu.
4. Recorded by al-Bukhaaree, from Abu Hurayrah radiallaahu 'anhu.
5. Fataawaa al-Mar'ah (no.13).
6. Saheeh: Recorded by Ahmad (5/346), at-Tirmidhee (no.2756), who authenticated it, from the hadeeth of Buraydah radiallaahu 'anhu.
7. Recorded by Ahmad (2/169) and ad-Daarimee (2/301), from the hadeeth of 'Abdullaah ibn 'Amr. Though some of the prominent Scholars of hadeeth have authenticated this hadeeth, others - such as Shaykh al-Albaanee in at-Targheeb (1/197-198) - have declared it to be weak, since the isnaad contains 'Eesaa ibn Hilaal as-Sadafee al-Misree. And Allaah knows best.
8. Al-Fataawaa (1/97-98).
9· Imaam an-Nawawee - rahimahullaah - said about the hadeeth in Sharh Saheeh Muslim (6/ 164): "I cannot imagine any Scholar who comes to knows about it and believes in the correctness of it, and would then oppose it."
10. Al-Fataawaa (1/53).
11. Fataawaa al-Mar'ah (no.298).
12. Saheeh: Recorded by at-Tirmidhee (no.2912), who authenticated it, from the hadeeth of 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood radiallaahu 'anhu.
13. Recorded by al-Bukhaaree (no.5054).
14. Fataawaa al-Mar'ah (no.294).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.