/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Good News From Pakistan

snakelegs
07-22-2007, 06:29 AM
i think this is really good news - the first from pakistan in quite a while. but, since i am an outsider, i would like to know what pakistanis here feel about this - is it a good thing? a hopeful sign of coming change?
(sorry to make so many threads on pakistan, but so much is happening there lately and i'm interested in hearing what our pakistani members' reactions are.)

Ruling puts limit on days in uniform for Musharraf
By Farhan Bokhari and Jo Johnson

Published: July 21 2007 03:00 | Last updated: July 21 2007 03:00

General Pervez Musharraf's hopes to have himself re-elected as Pakistan's president in uniform later this year have been plunged into doubt by the Supreme Court's 10-3 decision to re-instate Pakistan's most senior judge, Iftikhar Chaudhry.

"He can no longer be sure that the Supreme Court will be a doormat," G. Parthasarathy, a former Indian high commissioner to Pakistan, says. "His plan to wear a uniform indefinitely is as good as over."

The Supreme Court's verdict that Gen Musharraf acted illegally in summarily suspending Mr Chaudhry from his duties as chief justice on March 9 marks a historic moment for the Pakistani judiciary, lawyers say.

"It's what the nation wanted," Salman Akram Raja, a partner at the Lahore law firm, Zafar, Iqbal & Raja, says. "Throughout Pakistan's history we've been waiting for this institution to stand up for itself. This is the biggest judgment in our history."

the rest of the article is here:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/fabe16d4-371...0779fd2ac.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AmarFaisal
07-22-2007, 06:54 AM
I'd be glad!
I wish some good can come to Pakistan,, we need QuaidéÁzam Back:cry:

786rani
07-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Pakistan needs some of it's respect back which has been damaged by all this fighting. It's a very good idea. Let's hope the ellections are not currupt.
rani

snakelegs
07-22-2007, 10:18 AM
yes, i agree.
in the 8 years i've been following - at least somewhat - things in pakistan, the first positive thing i saw was the immediate outpouring of help to the earthquake disaster by the people themselves - (not the government.)
and this is an even bigger thing - in spite of all its huge problems - this is the first real light i've seen for a better future for pakistan.
i hope this will be a real turning point for pakistan.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tania
07-22-2007, 10:20 AM
They can suspend the president and the people will go to election then :?

Bittersteel
07-22-2007, 01:22 PM
despite some people's bashing of Musharraf ,he has a done quite a lot for Pakistan.

KAding
07-22-2007, 01:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aziz
despite some people's bashing of Musharraf ,he has a done quite a lot for Pakistan.
Such as? Not that I don't believe you, I just don't know :).

Bittersteel
07-22-2007, 01:34 PM
alright he modernized the economy,and did a lot for the Pakistan's infrastructure and social development.the guy's a liberal.
these are according to my Pak acquaintances.

doorster
07-22-2007, 04:12 PM
if nothing else it will make India happy, it will avenge their humiliation at his hands during Kargil fiasco

He also messed up their dreams of bankrupting Pakistan with help ( or incompetence) of nawaz sharif and in comes Musharraf, bringing Pakistan back from the brink, "bad boy has to be made to pay".

snakelegs
07-22-2007, 07:43 PM
what do you think about him making a deal with benazir bhutto by dropping the corruption charges against her? (btw, i think the supreme court could forbid him to.)
my views about pakistan are limited by the simple fact that i am not a pakistani. are you saying that the security situation with india is too dangerous to make a change?
all i can see is that a lot of pakistanis want the military out of government.
i don't know what the future holds for pakistan - though many pakistanis want him gone, there is a great difference of opinion as to what should happen next and a great deal of uncertainty. and yes, i guess there is a real danger that india could take advantage of that - but should india force the pakistanis to live under a military regime forever?
i am seeing hope in pakistanis for a better future for their country and i have not seen that in the years since i have been interested in pakistan and it is a good thing to see.

doorster
07-22-2007, 07:50 PM
what do you think about him making a deal with benazir bhutto
An anglicized and corrupt child of a corrupt anglicized murderer? A women who had turned Pakistan in to kingdom of her husband?

snakelegs
07-22-2007, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
An anglicized and corrupt child of a courupt anglicized murderer?
well, this is why i asked. you support president musharraf and think the continuation of his rule is essential because of the indian threat - but now it looks like the only way he could continue in power is to cut a deal to work with benazir bhutto - isn't that true?
an empowered supreme court could prevent him from dropping the corruption charges against her, no? (and thereby make such a deal impossible).
sorry - it is very confusing!

Darkseid
07-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Pakistan isn't even a real country. It is really four countries binded together with some of those "lands" extended into Afghanistan and Iran.

snakelegs
07-24-2007, 04:48 AM
that's absurd. :rollseyes

doorster
07-24-2007, 05:14 AM
Its like me saying "USA isn't even a real country. It is really 50+ countries bound together with some of those "lands" extended into Mexico and S. America."

or "UK isn't even a real country. It is really 4+ countries bound together with some of those "lands" extended into Middle East,Africa and Ireland."

Where do these ignorant trolls come from?

snakelegs
07-24-2007, 05:33 AM
i don't know, but they must be pretty cheap. there seems to be an abundant supply. ;D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.