/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina

imaad_udeen
08-30-2005, 12:59 PM
:SL:

what a disaster! Please pray for all those affected.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Safa
08-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Assalam o alaikum,

La howla wala kuwata illa billah. I hope the hurricane dies down soon, InshaAllah.

Halima
08-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Yeah, approx 55 people died and it's the strongest hurricane to ever hit U.S.

Lonely_Boy
08-30-2005, 05:07 PM
Asslam O Aleakum

Well May Allah bless upon them .........what i think it's a punishment of our deeds.......... religious people says that "Result comes down as per deeds goes up" well may be i can't explain properly because of my poor english :( so i am writing little in urdu
Hm Buzrag aur religious log khetay hian ke yeh sub hamary aamal(deeds) ka natija hia ......jesay amaal(deeds) uper jain gay Allah ki taraf say wesay hi halaat nechay aingay

May Almighty Allah Bless upon all of us and increase us in iman

Jazakallah
Wassalam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
minaz
08-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Yeh looks horrible, kinda ironic though "Katrina and her Waves"!

imaad_udeen
08-30-2005, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by minaz
Yeh looks horrible, kinda ironic though "Katrina and her Waves"!
The irony is lost on me? Help me out here...

:confused:

minaz
08-30-2005, 06:47 PM
lol it's an 80's band, it's a pun used in the papers here

- Qatada -
08-30-2005, 06:47 PM
:sl:

katrina and the wavez

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

imaad_udeen
08-30-2005, 06:49 PM
hmmm, don't remember them.

Ah, the Walking on Sunshine song...

I know that one.

Thanks for letting me in on the fun.

- Qatada -
08-30-2005, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lonely_Boy
Asslam O Aleakum

Well May Allah bless upon them .........what i think it's a punishment of our deeds.......... religious people says that "Result comes down as per deeds goes up" well may be i can't explain properly because of my poor english :( so i am writing little in urdu
Hm Buzrag aur religious log khetay hian ke yeh sub hamary aamal(deeds) ka natija hia ......jesay amaal(deeds) uper jain gay Allah ki taraf say wesay hi halaat nechay aingay

Jazakallah
Wassalam

:sl: warahmatulahi wabarakatuh..

all praise is due to Allah (swt) and his beloved prophet (salallahu alahi hi wasalam) and the prophet (salallahu alai hi wasalam)'s family and all who follow them.

mash Allah! thats true akhee, sorry i wont be able to translate that but i know what u mean.

wasalam o alikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh..

minaz
08-30-2005, 06:52 PM
You've all most likely heard the tune "walking on sunshine" :awesome:

Z
08-30-2005, 08:03 PM

Hehe, you dropped bombs to destroy a nation. You can't even stop a little wind from destroying yours.

basitisnumberone
08-30-2005, 08:17 PM
who can, bro?

Ataraxis
08-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Asslam O Aleakum

Well May Allah bless upon them .........what i think it's a punishment of our deeds.......... religious people says that "Result comes down as per deeds goes up" well may be i can't explain properly because of my poor english so i am writing little in urdu

Jazakallah
Wassalam
I believe you mean this is the Result of the country's actions & sort of this...
format_quote Originally Posted by 350z

Hehe, you dropped bombs to destroy a nation. You can't even stop a little wind from destroying yours.

Yeh. Anyways, it's really sad to see what happened....cities underwater that goes up to the roofs of homes :omg: ...and that's all that's been on the news lately (in fact it's on right now as I type this in my house..the T.V.'s open . :) ). It's going to take a LONG time to recover... :zip:

Ummu Amatullah
08-30-2005, 08:28 PM

Asallama Alaikum ;D ;D very true indeed.Bro Imaad do you live near where the hurricane hit?

Safa
08-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Yeh. Anyways, it's really sad to see what happened....cities underwater that goes up to the roofs of homes :omg: ...and that's all that's been on the news lately (in fact it's on right now as I type this in my house..the T.V.'s open . :) ). It's going to take a LONG time to recover... :zip:
Not to mention the fact the the city of New Orleans is mostly below sea level and its surrounded by two lakes.

Ummu Amatullah
08-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Asallama Alaikum sis I thought you mentioned that already. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Ummah
08-30-2005, 08:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shukri
Asallama Alaikum ;D ;D very true indeed.Bro Imaad do you live near where the hurricane hit?
Asaslaamualaikum

it's hardly a laughing matter sister.

In fact its something we all need to think about. It may well be Allah swt's sign to show Bush and those who commit evil that they will receive their comeuppance/just deserts. However that gives us no right to "laugh" at their situation.

Situations like this only remind us of the Power and Might of Allah swt. It installs a fear in us after we read the following verse, reminds us that Tsunami is nothing compared to what Allah swt is capable of doing if he wasnt so merciful, kind and forgiving

And if Allah were to punish men for their wrongdoing. He would not leave therein a living creature, but He gives them respite till an appointed term, and when their term is come, they cannot remain behind a single hour, nor can they go ahead of it. (16:62)

In my opinion, when things like this happen, the idea of "revenge", although important, should not be at the peak of our conversations, because personally i feel that the main thing this should remind us of is Tawbah for our sins.

imaad_udeen
08-30-2005, 11:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shukri
No, thankfully none of my family live near there as well.

Nice that we can all get a good laugh at the death of the common man.

You do know most of those who died were poor people who couldn't afford to leave town...

imaad_udeen
08-30-2005, 11:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by desertroze
Not to mention the fact the the city of New Orleans is mostly below sea level and its surrounded by two lakes.
It is surrounded by a lake to the north and the Mississippi river to the south.

imaad_udeen
08-30-2005, 11:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by basitisnumberone
who can, bro?
Yea, would love to see any mortal stand in the way of 150+ MPH winds...

basitisnumberone
08-30-2005, 11:38 PM
great post sis ummah, you should post more often :thumbs_up

Ummu Amatullah
08-31-2005, 12:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by imaad_udeen
No, thankfully none of my family live near there as well.

Nice that we can all get a good laugh at the death of the common man.

You do know most of those who died were poor people who couldn't afford to leave town...
Asallama Alaikum bro alhamdullilah no one in your family got hurt.I'm well aware of the people and what they're going through.I'll admit it's not a laughing matter that people are dying and being left homeless that's not what I was laughing at it's just that bro 350z post was funny.I'm beginning to see sheik Muhammad Al-Mohaisny's dua unravel.

Lonely_Boy
08-31-2005, 12:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummah
Asaslaamualaikum

it's hardly a laughing matter sister.

In fact its something we all need to think about. It may well be Allah swt's sign to show Bush and those who commit evil that they will receive their comeuppance/just deserts. However that gives us no right to "laugh" at their situation.

Situations like this only remind us of the Power and Might of Allah swt. It installs a fear in us after we read the following verse, reminds us that Tsunami is nothing compared to what Allah swt is capable of doing if he wasnt so merciful, kind and forgiving

And if Allah were to punish men for their wrongdoing. He would not leave therein a living creature, but He gives them respite till an appointed term, and when their term is come, they cannot remain behind a single hour, nor can they go ahead of it. (16:62)

In my opinion, when things like this happen, the idea of "revenge", although important, should not be at the peak of our conversations, because personally i feel that the main thing this should remind us of is Tawbah for our sins.
Asslam O Aleakum

U r absolutely right Sister May Allah guide us to the right path here i should like to right the siggy of sister SalafiFemaleJih My Muslim Brothers and Sisters Who Are Suffering At The Hands Of The Kuffar...Please Forgive Me...For Every Tear That Falls Down From Your Cheek...For Every Drop Of Blood That Fell From Your Wound...For The Pain You Felt...For Everytime I Wasn't There!! and offcousre we should answerable hereafter when non muslim complain to Allah that no body comes toward them and tell them about Allah ......now we are the people after Hazarat Mohammad (Peach Be Upon Him) who should invite others in Islam and do Tableeg.......May Allah give us true guidence.........Remember in Prayers
Jazakallah
Waslam

Sorry for the poor english :(

imaad_udeen
08-31-2005, 01:33 PM
American Red Cross

If anyone would like to donate to the relief effort.

[107:0] In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

[107:1] Do you know who really rejects the faith?

[107:2] That is the one who mistreats the orphans.

[107:3] And does not advocate the feeding of the poor.

[107:4] And woe to those who observe the contact prayers (Salat) -

[107:5] who are totally heedless of their prayers.

[107:6] They only show off.

[107:7] And they forbid charity.

Halima
08-31-2005, 04:02 PM
The death toll keeps on rising, hence there are corpses floating over the waters. They cannot stop the levees from over-flowing downtown New Orleans and besides that, New Orleans is 80% in water as of right now, and the communication is terrible. Not to mention the oil reserves are down therefore Florida's gas prices will go up to about $3.00 per galloon by the end of next week.

Zuko
09-01-2005, 04:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Halima
therefore Florida's gas prices will go up to about $3.00 per galloon by the end of next week.

Now its gonna go up to $4.00 a gallon... And besides... Its just horrible watching it on the news, listening to their stories... One woman's husband died by her feet!

.... And most of them barely have any food left, or even clean drinking water... I can't even imagine what its like (obvious as to why)... May Allah ease their burden...

...Allah puts no burden on any person beyond what He has given him. Allah will grant after hardship, ease. (Chapter #65, Verse #7)

F.Y.
09-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Im praying for them all, inshallah things will get better soon.
Images are simply devastating - i dunno how they cope!

Peace to all, ameen.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-01-2005, 10:24 PM

Ah, the vengeance and anger of Allah is terrible. May Allah keep us all away from that and Give us the guidence to keep Him pleased. May Allah grant peace there and may this be a wake up call for the people there inshallah.

Genius
09-01-2005, 11:17 PM

That's a pretty dumb thing to say, but at least some people can find joy in this tragedy, I didn't know sick people not being able to get to hospitals, people starving, millions of homeless and anarchic conditions could be a good thing, but aslong as you're happy bro.

Every cloud hey?

Brother Imaad, I don't think donating will help much with this tragedy, it's not money that people need, I saw a report where some British journalists talked about giving some victims money but were told there was nowhere to spend it.

What these people need is food and general relief that can only be organised by the federal government and so far this has not really happened.

It should be noted that the Louisiana National guard's manpower is down 30% due to commitments in Afghanistan and Iraq, there role could have been imporatant to say the least.

imaad_udeen
09-01-2005, 11:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Genius
Brother Imaad, I don't think donating will help much with this tragedy, it's not money that people need, I saw a report where some British journalists talked about giving some victims money but were told there was nowhere to spend it.

What these people need is food and general relief that can only be organised by the federal government and so far this has not really happened.

It should be noted that the Louisiana National guard's manpower is down 30% due to commitments in Afghanistan and Iraq, there role could have been imporatant to say the least.
A friend of mine in the Iowa Air National Guard was activated today and he will be deployed to the disaster region by Monday.

The federal government is doing something.

Concerning the donations, the link was to the red cross. they take the money and use it to buy food, medical supplies and supply clothes and shelter. They don't just give out money to the victims. A lot of people are going to be homeless for a long time.

amar
09-02-2005, 02:07 AM
Asslam O Aleakum

U r absolutely right Sister May Allah guide us to the right path here i should like to right the siggy of sister SalafiFemaleJih My Muslim Brothers and Sisters Who Are Suffering At The Hands Of The Kuffar...Please Forgive Me...For Every Tear That Falls Down From Your Cheek...For Every Drop Of Blood That Fell From Your Wound...For The Pain You Felt...For Everytime I Wasn't There!! and offcousre we should answerable hereafter when non muslim complain to Allah that no body comes toward them and tell them about Allah ......now we are the people after Hazarat Mohammad (Peach Be Upon Him) who should invite others in Islam and do Tableeg.......May Allah give us true guidence.........Remember in Prayers
Jazakallah
Waslam

Sorry for the poor english :(

Assalaamu alaikum,

This is nothing new.If we look at the history of Islam and the history of the world there were many nations and people who who were destroyed by the Mighty Allah swt.Please look at "Perished Nations" written by Harun Yahya for more details.

A lot of lessons can be learned from these happenings.Fear Allah and follow Prohet Muhammed s.a.w. and the living saints who are the representative of Rasoolullah in this world now.If we don't do this Allah's rath will come upon us whether we are musliims or not HIS punishments will definetly come one day if we don't follow .When Allah's name (Zikrullah ) is not practised daily I am not surprised that such hings will happen like the Huricane Katrina.

La Howla Walaa Kuwwata Illa Billa

Allah says in the Quran that they sheme a plan and we also plan but Allah is the best planner .They try to steal the Treasure(OIL) from the muslms but Allah swt
knows how to deal with them.

Illa Billa Filla

Wassalam

Ummu Amatullah
09-02-2005, 02:56 AM
God people I'm sure brother 350z was just kidding.I don't think he meant it you guys are acting as if he's Dr.Evil.Ah...I was watching the news today it doesn't look so good seriously.The people are running short of supply's,food,and water.They're waiting for the buses,but I doubt it'll come soon.

syedhs
09-02-2005, 05:49 AM

What they need the most is probably a good, clean drinking water. Because after a while.. the water surrounding them is probably not healthy.. in other words contaminated. But this could be not very severe as this is not tropical country and not that many died.

Hashim_507
09-02-2005, 06:30 AM
I blame the late relief or no relief to Bush, the place looks like third world "no offence". Its America there looks alot different, Bush is disgrace to his own citizen. Whats is he gonna spent the money, ooh i know "Iraq"!! I guess his shopping for terrorist to start attack on American soil, so he can attack Iran. Bush's mind saying "who care's, the majority is black in New Orlean, so lets dessert them". So the best thing to help them is bring food and shelters also medical assist incase of disease breakout...I dont think money would help them, all the stores is flooded with water...

Hajar
09-02-2005, 08:32 AM
You can see a that there is a big differents in beingyou poor or rich. All the rich people are out of the city, and all the poor are stuck there without proper care. This shows how much poor people in the USA are. The people who are still in the city even have to steel, because there is no good plan of rescue for the people who are there.

I cant understand that the people dont stand togheter, Bush is trowing away so much money in Irak etc. but leaves his own people live in missery. If he is such a great president, then everybody was evacuated on time , and they wouldnt let people behind and suffer so much. But then again most of the people who are there, are black and poor. It seems they dont care about them.. :confused:

Zuko
09-02-2005, 11:53 AM
hear this, in their own words, made me want to cry:

"We're just a bunch of rats. That's how they've been treating us."
EARLE YOUNG, among thousands awaiting rescue outside the Superdome.

"Some people have not eaten or drunk water for three or four days, which is inexcusable.."

"...This has turned into a situation where the city is being run by thugs..."

-Joseph W. Matthews

"...We are like little birds with our mouths open and you don't have to be very smart to know where to drop the worm..."

Ummu Amatullah
09-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Asallama Alaikum you guys are so right.He spent about 16 billion dollars or more on the war on Terror and he can't even spend a million dollars for the needy.Seriously you should've seen it the people were all over the streets asking for help.The U.S authority just drove by and ignored them.I swear America says it's not racist any more,but I doubt it after seeing it for myself today.Yes,America got it's just desserts for all of it's fitnah the same way the tsunami happened to all those wrong-doers.Most people aren't really bad it's just that they get caught up in society and it's problems.May Allah reward the good of them and alhamdullilah most survived. :D

imaad_udeen
09-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Inexcusable time for anti-Bush rhetoric.

Congress has promised 10.9 billion dollars.

National Guard and Army units who served in Iraq are now being deployed to New Orleans to restore order.

What do you expect Bush to do? Magically feed everyone stranded by the flood water?

The entire region was devistated so equipment and men have to be brought from all over the country to deal with this tragedy. That takes time.

minaz
09-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Bro Imaad and to anyone else; does the NAACP still exist?

Halima
09-02-2005, 05:30 PM
No, it doesn't exist. The NAACP is for racial affairs of the African americans that was active all the way back in the 1950's. Although racism still occurs nowadays, it is not that bad as 50 years ago. I think the Black Panthers took over the NAACP.

minaz
09-02-2005, 05:32 PM
lol nah Black Panthers were destroyed by the FBI (nixon admin), but nah NAACP been active to my knowledge in court cases till late 80's but i dunno if they're still around?

Halima
09-02-2005, 05:41 PM
lol nah Black Panthers were destroyed by the FBI (nixon admin),

Some very famous black advocates have been apart of the African movements. Jesse Jackson; Malcolm X; ect. Although I really didn't study about the Panthers and LOL I had no idea that the FBI had terminated them. Back to the NAACP, yeah, unbelievably they are still around cuz I just searched on google, and they were recently involved in some racial conflicts. I don't know why we don't hear much about them these days.

czgibson
09-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Greetings,

Hurricane Katrina is the most severe natural disaster to hit the US in modern memory, and the people affected need all the help they can get.

People trapped in New Orleans and the surrounding area are still without basic supplies, the most urgent need being fresh water.

Fort Rucker, in Alabama, is the home of US military aviation, with over 500 helicopters at its disposal. I do not know if these helicopters have been dispatched yet, but they certainly should be. Hopefully President Bush has given the order. (Hopefully).

Peace

imaad_udeen
09-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Bro Imaad and to anyone else; does the NAACP still exist?
Yes, they are still around, though they don't quite have the political power they once enjoyed.

A lot of the work they do is try to protect civil rights for black americans, lobby congress and other government offices to pass legislation which they think will help the black community. they attempt to help black children get through college by offering grants and scholarships.

minaz
09-02-2005, 08:26 PM
I see thanks Imaad, I brought them up because I (and i'm sure many of you) have seen that the many who have suffered at the hands of Katrina were Afro-Americans. When they investigate the faults maybe the social aspects of the area would be a major element - that's why I was wandering about the NAACP

Ummu Amatullah
09-03-2005, 03:33 AM
The entire region was devistated so equipment and men have to be brought from all over the country to deal with this tragedy. That takes time.
Asallama Alaikum brother time.Would this time you speak of be as in Iraq?We'll restore Iraq in time.Yeah right?as if.Well let's just hope the people get aid and anything else they may need.Time yeah!!!he better make sure he hurry's up,because if it continues that way well you could say time is the only think they wouldn't have.

czgibson
09-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Greetings,

Supplies are now reaching the people who are stranded or without food and water. A brilliant response from the government - giving the people exactly what they need. Unfortunately it came three days too late.

People are incensed at the government's slow response. Truck drivers had their vehicles loaded with water on Monday as the storm hit, but for some reason they were held back until Thursday.

I think the President is in real trouble over this one.

Peace

Zuko
09-03-2005, 03:08 PM
didn't national geographic warn people that a hurricane in new orleans would be devastating? equivalent to terrorist attacks in new york? I think they should have been better prepared for a storm like this...

czgibson
09-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Greetings Queenoftheworld,

Yes, people had a clear warning from several sources that a hurricane strike on New Orleans would be catastrophic. Most of the population evacuated the city, but those who could not do so, for one reason or another (e.g. poverty), were left stranded.

It's a tragedy that what little these people had has in most cases been completely destroyed.

Peace

Zuko
09-03-2005, 03:14 PM
yeah it is sad.. did you hear about that lady they were talking about on cnn? she was in labor and she jumped out of her window and swam 5 miles, while having contractions to get some help for her kid who had an asthma attack (not the whole thing but this is what I remember)... lets hope things wont get any worse....

Abu-Dalha
09-03-2005, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Supplies are now reaching the people who are stranded or without food and water. A brilliant response from the government - giving the people exactly what they need. Unfortunately it came three days too late.

People are incensed at the government's slow response. Truck drivers had their vehicles loaded with water on Monday as the storm hit, but for some reason they were held back until Thursday.

I think the President is in real trouble over this one.

Peace
Who doesn't?May Allah help those people amen. :)

- Qatada -
09-03-2005, 06:30 PM
:sl: warahmatulahi wabarakatuh..

all praise is due to Allah (swt) and his beloved prophet (salallahu alahi hi wasalam) and the prophet (salallahu alai hi wasalam)'s family and all who follow them.

"The Terrorist Katrina is One of the Soldiers of Allah…"

"…As I watched the horrible sights of this wondrous storm, I was reminded of the Hadith of the Messenger of Allah (salallahu alai hi wasalam) [in the compilations] of Al-Bukhari and Abu Daoud. The Hadith says: 'The wind is of the wind of Allah, it comes from mercy or for the sake of torment. When you see it, do not curse it, [but rather] ask Allah for the good that is in it, and ask Allah for shelter from its evil.'Afterwards, I was [also] reminded of the words of the Prophet Muhammad (salallahu alai hi wasalam): 'Do not curse the wind, as it is the fruit of Allah's planning. He who curses something that should not be cursed – the curse will come back to him.'

"When the satellite channels reported on the scope of the terrifying destruction in America [caused by] this wind, I was reminded of the words of [Prophet Muhammad (salallahu alai hi wasalam)]: 'The wind sends torment to one group of people, and sends mercy to others.' I do not think – and only Allah [really] knows – that this wind, which completely wiped out American cities in these days, is a wind of mercy and blessing. It is almost certain that this is a wind of torment and evil that Allah has sent to this American empire. Out of my absolute belief in the truth of the words of the Prophet Muhammad, this wind is the fruit of the planning [of Allah], as is stated in the text of the Hadith of our beloved Prophet (salallahu alai hi wasalam)

"But I began to ask myself: Doesn't this country [the U.S.] claim to aspire to establish justice, freedom, and equality amongst the people? Isn't this country claiming that everything it did in Afghanistan and Iraq was for truth and justice? How can it be that these American claims are untrue, when we see how good prevails in the streets of Afghanistan, and how it became an oasis of security with America's entrance there? How can these American claims in the matter of Iraq be untrue, when we see that Iraq has become the most tranquil and secure country in the world?

"But how strange it is that after all the tremendous American achievements for the sake of humanity, these mighty winds come and evilly rip [America's] cities to shreds? Have the storms joined the Al-Qaeda terrorist organization?"

"The Disaster Will Keep Striking the Unbelievers for What They Have Done"

"How sad I am for America. Here it is, poor thing, trying with all its might to lower oil prices which have reached heights unprecedented in all history. Along with America's phenomenal efforts to lower the price of oil in order to salvage its declining economy and its currency – that is still falling due to the 'smart' policy America is implementing in the world – comes this storm, the fruit of Allah's planning, so that [the price of] a barrel of oil will increase further still. By Allah, this is not schadenfreude.

"Oh honored gentlemen, I began to read about these winds, and I was surprised to discover that the American websites that are translated [into Arabic] are talking about the fact that that the storm Katrina is the fifth equatorial storm to strike Florida this year… and that a large part of the U.S. is subject every year to many storms that extract [a price of] dead, and completely destroy property. I said, Allah be praised, until when will these successive catastrophes strike them?

"But before I went to sleep, I opened the Koran and began to read in Surat Al-R'ad ['The Thunder' chapter], and stopped at these words [of Allah]: 'The disaster will keep striking the unbelievers for what they have done, or it will strike areas close to their territory, until the promise of Allah comes to pass, for, verily, Allah will not fail in His promise. ' [Koran 13:31]."

Allah (swt) knows best...

wasalam o alikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh..

Abu-Dalha
09-03-2005, 07:42 PM
MashAllah brother.

minaz
09-03-2005, 09:20 PM
In the US, they were holding a star studded fun raising event, and Kanye West (Afro-American Hip-Hop star for you guys who are unfamiliar) and this is what he said which was agaisnt the auto-cue/script
""If you see a black family, it says they're looting. See a white family, it says they're looking for food."
To Imaad and other trust worthy American bro's and sis', what is the feeling about this scenario upon the Afro Americans among the American public? I saw an interview with Jesse Jackson on CNN today too and he was outraged.

Khattab
09-03-2005, 11:57 PM

We dont need people to glorify this, acts of inhumanity are rife throughout the world now, most of those who died are poor and black. There is no doubt that things like this come as a test and punishment from Allah (SWT), but we should pray Allah (SWT) helps those in trouble, it is only human nature that when we see someone suffering no matter of colour or creed we stop to help, inshallah Allah (SWT) guides them and helps them in times like this. Is it these people who wanted to go to war with Iraq and Afghanistan, Allah hu Alim, I think most where against it is there govermant to blame not them. The sooner food and other rescources reach them the better. If anyone finds joy in such suffering then it is a disease in the heart and certainly not the way of the Nabi Muhammed (SWH) who was sent as a mercy and example to mankind and not the way of Islam.

Zuko
09-04-2005, 12:23 AM
In the US, they were holding a star studded fun raising event, and Kanye West (Afro-American Hip-Hop star for you guys who are unfamiliar)
Of course we know who Kanye West is dude! "Jesus Walks", nominated for 3 VMA's... DUH...:confused:

Safa
09-04-2005, 12:44 AM
In the US, they were holding a star studded fun raising event, and Kanye West (Afro-American Hip-Hop star for you guys who are unfamiliar) and this is what he said which was agaisnt the auto-cue/script
""If you see a black family, it says they're looting. See a white family, it says they're looking for food."

To Imaad and other trust worthy American bro's and sis', what is the feeling about this scenario upon the Afro Americans among the American public?
Its one thing to joke around but I don't see the point of making such comments about who's black and who's white considering the fact that they are poor people looking to survive a horrible tragedy.

*!~Faith~!*
09-04-2005, 02:04 AM

On the news a reporter said "A mighty nation has been brought down to its knees"

Something to think about.

Uthman
09-05-2005, 08:26 AM

I agree with what Khattab said.

Btw, did any mosques survive this one?

imaad_udeen
09-06-2005, 01:12 PM
To Imaad and other trust worthy American bro's and sis', what is the feeling about this scenario upon the Afro Americans among the American public? I saw an interview with Jesse Jackson on CNN today too and he was outraged.
The vast majority of looters I have seen on TV and news reports have been African-American. This is not a surprise since the majority of the N.O. inner city population is African-American.

Kanye, though, is over-exageratting this situation.

It matters not to me if the looters were white or black. A criminal is a criminal.

Most Americans are outraged this happened the way it did, but to varying degrees and different people put the blame on different persons/agencies.

I put the blame first on the government of New Orleans, it is their prime responsibility to insure the safety of its citizens and this government should hae been better prepared for something like this.

Second the blame goes to the state of Louisiana government for the same reasons.

America is a diverse nation so you will see a great diversity of opinion.

imaad_udeen
09-06-2005, 01:16 PM

Peace
All the roads into New Orleans were severly damaged, trees and powerlines down everywhere.

Not so easy to just drive there and helos were needed in every part of the gulf region.

I think the federal response was rather good considering the sheer scale of destruction.

czgibson
09-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Hello Imaad,

The federal government of the US is the most powerful in the world. The state governments you mention obviously do not have the resources and manpower available to the federal government; they were totally overwhelmed and crying out for help for days. No satisfactory explanation has been given for the delay; I suppose we will hear more about it in the upcoming inquiries.

Do you really think the state governments should shoulder the larger part of the blame?

All the roads into New Orleans were severly damaged, trees and powerlines down everywhere.

Not so easy to just drive there and helos were needed in every part of the gulf region.
Helicopters? The coast guard helicopters were deployed; do you know if military helicopters from Fort Rucker, Alabama were sent too? Last I heard they were waiting for the order...

Peace

Zuko
09-06-2005, 02:32 PM
i heard around 400-500 police officers in new orleans just disappeared... that's a shame....

czgibson
09-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Greetings,

Many police officers abandoned their jobs because they had lost their homes and everything else, like so many of the people.

Gun sales are on the rise as people try to protect themselves in the newly anarchic environment.

It's an unbelievable human tragedy, but unlike the tsunami, this one has been predicted for years. The geographical situation of New Orleans, surrounded by water, made this catastrophe inevitable.

It doesn't come as a huge surprise to learn that funds allocated for installing preventative flood defences for New Orleans have been slashed by the current administration of the federal government, in order to allow for maximised spending elsewhere...

Peace

Bittersteel
09-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Many police officers abandoned their jobs because they had lost their homes and everything else, like so many of the people.

Gun sales are on the rise as people try to protect themselves in the newly anarchic environment.
sorry to hear about it.Bangladesh I think is going to give a million dollars and other countries are also donating.Let's hope things get better quickly.

imaad_udeen
09-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Hello Imaad,

The federal government of the US is the most powerful in the world.
That has nothing to do with what happened.

The state governments you mention obviously do not have the resources and manpower available to the federal government; they were totally overwhelmed and crying out for help for days. No satisfactory explanation has been given for the delay; I suppose we will hear more about it in the upcoming inquiries.
I just gave them to you in the post you quoted. You can't just make everything magically appear in the middle of a flooded and destroyed city.

Do you really think the state governments should shoulder the larger part of the blame?
I think Mississippi and Alabama have handled their situation well.

I do think the governments of New Orleans and Louisiana are directly responsible for NOT GETTING THOSE PEOPLE OUT OF THERE.

imaad_udeen
09-06-2005, 04:59 PM

It doesn't come as a huge surprise to learn that funds allocated for installing preventative flood defences for New Orleans have been slashed by the current administration of the federal government, in order to allow for maximised spending elsewhere...

Peace
LOL. Yeap, this, like everything else, is obviously Bush's fault...

Ummu Amatullah
09-06-2005, 09:04 PM
LOL. Yeap, this, like everything else, is obviously Bush's fault...
Asallama Alaikum for once brother couldn't agree with you more :D :D :D :D

minaz
09-06-2005, 09:07 PM
lol the irony is you failed to spot his sarcasm

Ummu Amatullah
09-06-2005, 09:13 PM
lol the irony is you failed to spot his sarcasm
Asallama Alaikum actually brother i'm well aware. :D :D :D

minaz
09-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Thus you are a very wise sister, and the brother you shall marry will be very lucky indeed :)
(p.s. I’m not being sarcastic :p )

Zuko
09-06-2005, 09:22 PM
;D :zip: Interesting...........................

Ummu Amatullah
09-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Thus you are a very wise sister, and the brother you shall marry will be very lucky indeed :)
(p.s. I’m not being sarcastic :p )
Ah.....that's sad;D ;D ;D :p

minaz
09-06-2005, 09:30 PM
omg try to say a nice word (like Muezzin says "say a nice word or remain silent"), and this is my reward, lol nah all cool :)

Ummu Amatullah
09-06-2005, 09:37 PM
looooooooooools :thumbs_up now back on topic.

czgibson
09-06-2005, 11:55 PM
Greetings,

Imaad, you make a lot of good points. You're absolutely right that more should have been done to evacuate people from New Orleans, and that the roads were blocked, thus stopping water trucks moving in. However, the army, (as far as I can tell - please correct me if I'm wrong), did not step in until three days had passed since the hurricane. Many things are obviously still unclear at this stage.

Lots of things could have been done differently in response to this tragedy, and perhaps some organisations could have performed better; hindsight is always clearer. However, I believe the federal government could have provided better assistance by deploying the military more effectively. Why couldn't they deploy the military more effectively? You tell me.

Peace

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
09-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh..May Allah have Mercy on the True believers & make us steadfast in His path..Aameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.