/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I'm a muslim my family are not, my sister is getting married.

MARYAMKHAN
07-23-2007, 11:29 PM
Salam Brothers and Sisters,

I need some advice and hope to get some from this site inshallah...

My twin sister is getting married to a non muslim in a months time and I'm not sure if I can participate? My father is a muslim and my mother is a christian, and during my up bringing as a family we would celebrate my fathers beliefs and my mothers. However, today I am a muslim maybe this is because I married my husband who is a muslim who has incourage me. My mother and sisters have never really performed in any islamic acts ie fast, pray etc. My father never really incouraged us as children. My dilema is, can i attend my sisters wedding? What should I do? Please help to give me some advice?

Thank you for your time.

Maryam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SATalha
07-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Sister its your sister Iam sure it would be fine to attend.

MARYAMKHAN
07-23-2007, 11:49 PM
It's a difficult situation for me and my husband. Let me ask you another question: There are many events taking place during the wedding period, my sister is getting married in a indian temple, I know I can not attend this event but could my husband and i attend other events?

Salaam
07-23-2007, 11:53 PM
what are the other events???

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SATalha
07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Islam is not so rigid that we are confined to limited activities, when it comes to our family we should participate in all the ways possible. So long as it doesnt breech your Islam. Like if there is a party and there is widespread consumption of Alcohol, it is not the enviroment that a muslim should be in.

If you feel that your Islam is not being harmed and that your Iman is still intact than it should be fine Inshallah. But please do not listen to me, iam just a fool who thinks he know everything. Speak to your local Imam, he should be able to shed some proper light.

MARYAMKHAN
07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
meeting her in laws, registry, dinner with extended family these are the events we have been invited too.

Salaam
07-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Assalamu Alaikum, meeting the in laws should be ok, as long as there is no mixing of males and females. Dinner should be ok as long the food is halal and there is not Alcohol being consumed on the table that you are eating on.

Allahu Alam (Allah Knows Best)

best to ask your local imam.......

MARYAMKHAN
07-24-2007, 12:02 AM
My other dilema is, should I cut off from my sister for marrying a non muslim?

Salaam
07-24-2007, 12:08 AM
This may answer one of your questions insha'allah.

Question: Are Muslims allowed to enter a Church? My mother recently remarried in a registry office and had a blessing in a Church. My husband is a Muslim and was not sure if he was allowed to go in. He ended up not going into the Church, as he feared some sort of recrimination, even though he was not asked to take part in prayer. I have researched this but to no avail and would like some clarification for us both. I really look forward to your reply.

Answer:
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

A Muslim is permitted to enter Churches and other houses of worship. There is reference to that in the acts of some of the Prophet’s Companions (may Allah be pleased with them all). The issue, by and large, depends on the intention of the person doing that. If the intention is to receive blessings from or confess sins to anyone other than Allah, then such a visit is surely prohibited. If, on the other hand, the purpose is just to familiarize oneself with how Christians conduct their services, or to share in a happy occasion such as a wedding, then this is surely permissible.

Responding to the question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states the following:

"It all depends on the intention and purpose of your visit. If you are entering the Church for the purpose of worship or receiving blessings or confessing your sins or beseeching favors from other than Allah, then you are wrong.

If, on the contrary, it is not for any of the above reasons, and you simply went there to observe how the Christians conduct their services and familiarize yourself with their ways or for the purpose of outreach, dialogue, cooperation in virtuous acts, etc., then there is nothing wrong with that.

In such cases, it may even be highly recommended depending on the nature of your visit and the circumstances. We know that the Caliph `Umar (may Allah be pleased with him), while in Jerusalem, was taken around in the ancient Church by the patriarch, but he refused to pray inside; when asked about it he said, "I am afraid, if I were to do so, Muslims might later claim it as a prayer place or a musalla.

To conclude, I can say that there is nothing wrong for Muslims in visiting churches or synagogues or temples if the purpose is other than worship or religious reasons. May Allah help us all to remain steadfast on the straight path and guide our steps. Ameen."
Taken from islamonline.net

this might help aswell http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503545248

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503547068

SATalha
07-24-2007, 12:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MARYAMKHAN
My other dilema is, should I cut off from my sister for marrying a non muslim?

No sister Dont cut-off from your sister. You are her chance, you need to speake to her and give dua in anyway possible. I know its gonna seem impossible, but remember in the day of Judgment you can say to Allah that i did give the call. But Inshllah it wont come to this, May your sister be guided to the right path.

Muslim Woman
07-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of God Almighty be upon you)

%%%%%

InshaAllah i will try to find out Fatwas for u.

I think it's ok if u attend the ceremony but try to keep away from haram matters like drinking alcohol , take meats those were slaughtered in front of Hindu dieties , mixed dancing etc.

If ur sis does not tell u to violate any Islamic commands , then u may continue have realtionship with her. Keep giving her & her hubby Dawa :D

SATalha
07-24-2007, 12:27 AM
By the way Welcome to the forum, Sister

MustafaMc
07-24-2007, 12:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salaam
This may answer one of your questions insha'allah.

Taken from islamonline.net

this might help aswell http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503545248

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503547068
I was hesitant to say so, but my thinking was in line with Brother Salaam. As his reference indicated - the intention determines the merit of the deed. We are required to maintain our family ties as long as they don't compromise our Islam. My opinion is that your presence at the wedding and maintaining your Muslim identity will be a strong witness to your sister. I encourage you to not be too harsh with her as you may be the best link that she has with Islam.

Allah knows best!

sevgi
07-24-2007, 01:18 AM
couldnt be bothered reading all teh posts here so if im repeating...ignore this post plz...

im sure that as long as u dnt join in with drinking alchohol etc, if any, ull be fine..there no problem with u going into the indian temple.and i dnt knwo of any christian rituals whcih are haram to us...besides the alcohol...

ule be fine..dinner, registry...thats all good...as long as the food is halal.

peace.

Al_Imaan
07-24-2007, 01:32 AM
:welcome: to the forum. I hope your dilemma is solved.

Woodrow
07-24-2007, 12:00 PM
:sl:

Just my opinion as a revert. I personally feel that us reverts have a duty not to cut ourselves off from our families after we revert. It is true that our families may cut us off, but we are the doors and windows through which they may learn and see the truth about Islam. I believe we are doing a great injustice if we exclude ourselves from our family because they choose to remain as they are. If anything I think we need to do our best to stay as close as possible to them and lead them by our example, if words do not work. Being a revert and in a Non-Muslim family is a wonderful opportunity for us to share this beautiful way of life and to allow our example be a guiding beacon for our loved ones to see how much it has helped us grow.

guyabano
07-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Ok, I will add my 2 little cents too.

Now I'm confused. In a few threads ago, there was also a post like this where the muslim members all encourage a muslim man not to attend the wedding of his brother (non-muslim)? I will try to find back this thread.
Another reason NOT to attend the wedding of his brother was the fact, there would be music played, which according to Islam is also haram, no?

Can somebody pls enlighten me now?

PS: I will try to find back this thread and add the link later

Ok, I found the thread faster than I expected. read it here !

Woodrow
07-24-2007, 01:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
Ok, I will add my 2 little cents too.

Now I'm confused. In a few threads ago, there was also a post like this where the muslim members all encourage a muslim man not to attend the wedding of his brother (non-muslim)? I will try to find back this thread.
Another reason NOT to attend the wedding of his brother was the fact, there would be music played, which according to Islam is also haram, no?

Can somebody pls enlighten me now?

PS: I will try to find back this thread and add the link later

Ok, I found the thread faster than I expected. read it here !
I can understand your confusion.There are no clear cut dos and don'ts. Each situation is unique and the first issue is intent. Also what is the specific of what the event entails. The issue in the first thread you mention had more to do with the attendance at the festivities and to what degree the person would be under pressure to participate. Here the issue is more with how much the Young Sister should share with her twin. Personally I did not give any advice either way as to if the Young sister should attend the wedding. My advice was that she should not cut off family contact because they are non-Muslim.

The wedding issue is separate. The question will be as to what type of wedding it will be and to what will take place at it. My understanding is that as long as there is no haram activities taking place that a Muslim would be participating in or subject to undo temptation, there is no harm in attending.

You did bring up a few important questions that have not been asked and are still unknown. "What will the ceremony and the events consist of and to what extent will the Poster be pressured to participate in?" Those questions do need to be addressed before a valid answer can be given as to if she should attend.

MARYAMKHAN
07-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Salamalaykom brothers and sisters. Firstly I would like to thank you all for advice given, however as requested I would like to shed more light on my circumstances (a clearer picture). My faith is at a moderate level and greater than when I was a child. A lot of response to this post, questions my intention of attending and to be honest I would say the primary reason for attending would be for my sister whom I do not want to cut ties with. My father is not pleased and has cut off completely and in addition my parents are currenlty going through a seperation. (This is not related to my sisters wedding). Initially when my sister first told me of her intentions to marry her partner I discussed this with her and tried to talk her out of it hoping that she would meet a muslim man. This caused a little anomosety between us and we didn't speak for some time. Although we are now speaking my sister is aware of my reluctance of her marrying a non muslim and this has resulted with minimum participation from myself in the preparation of her wedding. The wedding will have alcohol but I can honestly say this will not tempt me as it never has before at weddings which I have attended in the past. This also appiles to music and non halal food. I am also concerned that if I do not attend both my mother nad younger sister will be disappointed and perhaps cut off with myself and distant them from my religious beleifs. (I do pray that they will be guided by Allah to the right path and inshallah they will). I hope this clarifies my situation. All replies appreciated.

Muslim Woman
07-25-2007, 01:23 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by MARYAMKHAN
. The wedding will have alcohol

pl. request ur sis to arrange a separate arrangement for Muslims where no alcohol or haram foods will be served

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.