/* */

PDA

View Full Version : i need your beneficial advises sis & bro

mine
07-24-2007, 03:53 PM
i'm a university student and i will study in belgium under the framework of Socrates/Erasmus student exchange program this year. i will stay there almost a year and i have some concerns about my practice of religion. i saw many muslim sis and bro who live in nonmuslim countries. you may have some advises for me. i really need your guidence. this stay in belgium will be an exchange of cultures and living stlye. i guess i wont have many muslim friends and i dont know to what extend i should live my religion openly. i dont know what their reaction will be. its for sure that they have already some prejudices against muslims. plus i am turk :statisfie this may double my problemsimsad what do you suggest?

thank you in advance

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
07-24-2007, 05:07 PM
salaamu alaikum,

Seek out the local community in the city you are staying. There's Muslim student organizations in universities often so check them out as well. Stick to islam and be yourself, if someone doesn't it like it then you report to your program head. Don't compromise your deen to please them.

you can read about belgium here
http://www.euro-islam.info/pages/belgium.html

-----
I am a Brussels resident, and to be frank, I never saw Muslim women begging on the streets. Most beggars are organized Eastern-European gangs and locals. My guess is that it was an imposter, using the scarf just to draw attention and get some money.

It is true that the Belgian government does a lot for Muslims. Immans are state-paid, and it's illegal to phrase anti-Muslim remarks in public. You will not be harassed if you phrase anti-Christian remarks, but you will be fined or put on trial when you admit to be anti-Muslim.

It's also true that there is a very generous social security system in Belgium, and we have a guaranteed income for those who don't work. Muslims are over-represented in that system, but only males. Women and girls find work easily, they study longer, and they are under-represented in crime statistics.

But it's also true that most street crime in Brussels and in Antwerp (another large Belgian city) is perpetrated by male Moroccan youth gangs. I myself was beaten once up into hospital at night, once robbed of my cell phone by Moroccans, and one time harassed by Algerians that were vandalizing a public railway rest room.

Those are not isolated incidents at all. Local women that walk lightly dressed in summer are often scorned as "*****s" by Moroccan male youth, and male ǃ˙Muslimsǃ˘ do most violent rape in Northern Europe.
http://fjordman.blogspot.com/2005/12...in-sweden.html

I am also residing in the island of Mindanao, Philippines, 5 months per year. It's interesting to observe the difference between the position of Muslims in Mindanao on one hand, and in ǃ˙Eurabiaǃ˘ on the other. We in "Eurabia" can draw valuable lessons from the Philippine approach.

http://www.altmuslim.com/perm.php?id=1609_0_25_0_C

Pk_#2
07-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Da'wah time :p

All the best sis, make dua, i hope it goes well for you.

Khayal
07-24-2007, 07:08 PM
:sl:

Why are you hesitating, or shy to show yourself as a muslim, be confident and be a good example, InshaAllah. you may not know someone revert to islam after seeing you..:thumbs_up

If you really believe in Islam and you are muslim by choice than you should not worry about what other people think about you. so be a confident as a GOOD MUSLIM. :)

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdul Fattah
07-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Selam aleykum
Do you wear hijab? some schools here in Belgium have problems with that, I think you should look into that before you come here.
Depending what city you come to, there are many Turkish people living here, (especially in Gent, Genk, Brussel and Antwerpen).

mine
07-25-2007, 06:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
Selam aleykum
Do you wear hijab? some schools here in Belgium have problems with that, I think you should look into that before you come here.
Depending what city you come to, there are many Turkish people living here, (especially in Gent, Genk, Brussel and Antwerpen).
i will stay in gent. but there will be lots of exchange students from all over the world. Insa'Allah i want to be a good representative of Islamic life style. i dont wear hijab it wont be a problem. even in my country's schools it is forbidden unfortunately. it is nice to hear from a bro from belgium. actually my hesitations are about explanation. they will surely ask me lots of question some will be highly prejudiced. i want to give them the rightest answers. to do that i think i should know their mentality on islam. here in this forum i learn alot. i am trying to feed my "islamic vocabulary" in english. sometimes when i think of a nonmuslim country and in it me alone, i get dicouraged. but with the help of Allah and your duas i will practice my religion appropriately.

Dynasty
07-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Uh i would suggest you practice every day inshallah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.