/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prose and Poetry Regarding the Qur'aan.

Shadi-ahmad
07-25-2007, 03:06 AM
Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters,I know this is not the Qur'aan forum but it seems really slow over there and rather dead so I decided to post my question here insha'allah.This question should only be addressed by a muslim who fully understands arabic(reading and writing) and also understands prose and poetry along with there sub Divisions.Many Imams,arabist,and scholars say that the biggest proof that islam is the religion of Allah is the qur'aan itself.

Many of the scholars in the west and in the middle east say that the qur'aan does not fit into any of the sixteen al-bihar which is POETRY and does not fit into PROSE which is normal speech and Rhyming speech. The al-bihar are the 16 forms of arabic poetry which are:
1. at-Tawîl
2. al-Bassit
3. al-Wafir
4. al-Kamil
5. ar-Rajs
6. al-Khafif
7. al-Hazaj
8. al-Muttakarib
9. al-Munsarih
10. al-Muktatab
11. al-Muktadarak
12. al-Madid
13. al-Mujtath
14. al-Ramel
15. al-Khabab
16. as-Saria'

All of these 16 combined are the al-bihar or Poetry in arabic,and each one of these has it's own style of poetry.

Prose is made up of two divisions which is Saj which is rhyming prose or rhyming speech,and then there is mursal which is normal speech,those two Saj and Mursal make up the Prose of arabic. Allah knows best.

So my question is,Is it possiable at all,for an arab to write something in arabic that does not use Saj,mursal,or the 16 al-bihar and still have a meaning or still make sense?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.