/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Alternative medicine

جوري
07-27-2007, 09:59 PM
I don't know much about alternative medicine, was hoping, everyone would share their experience with me.. both positive and the negative... I heard as of late from a dear member that Acupuncture (stylostixis) is a great way to cope with migraine headaches.. was wondering if those who resort to alternative medicine would share their wisdom. How long before they saw results?.. what sort of ailments they sought help for?-- etc etc
thank you
Jazakoum Allah khyran
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
wilberhum
07-27-2007, 10:09 PM
I I got acupuncture procedures for relied of sever back pain from 3 different Doctors. (?)

The only thing that got any relief was my wallet. :(

Star
07-27-2007, 11:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
The only thing that got any relief was my wallet. :(
ha ha lol. take it the acupuncture didnt work well

جوري
07-27-2007, 11:34 PM
That is actually funny... I was expecting the regular remarks.. It is good to be surprised on occasion--
Peace!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SpazzBurd
07-27-2007, 11:38 PM
Actually, acupuncture is one of those alternative medical treatments that have been proven to be effective.

I have had dramatic results with acupuncture for chronic back pain, and less luck with it for other ailments, though it has been mostly effective for me.

There is also homeopathy, naturopathy, Chinese medicine, and others.

One thing to keep in mind when taking any herbs or supplements is that they can interact with medications, so your doctor and pharmacist need to know what you're taking.

جوري
07-27-2007, 11:41 PM
indeed we agree strongly with last part of your sentence .. but perhaps you can walk us through your entire experience? where you go, what it is like, how long it lasts, how long is the relief, how soon before you see results, how soon for follow up? etc etc
thank you

SpazzBurd
07-29-2007, 11:33 PM
For me, it depended on what the acupuncture was for. When it was just general, not really focusing on anything, I only noticed that I felt worse if I wasn't able to go for a week or two. I noticed immediate relief for my back pain. I went to a naturopathic doctor, who has training in Chinese medicine and acupuncture. The only thing it has not helped in pain I have in one of my wrists. No one knows why it hurts, nothing shows up on xray, and it still bothers me.

For acupuncture, you lie on a table in a room by yourself. You have to uncover the places where the needles will be put. Usually arms, legs to knee, and feet. Then the doctor put rubbing alcohol on the places where the needles will go in, to clean the area. The needles don't go in very deep, but can be very painful in some places. Then the needles are tapped in. After they're all in, you relax in the room for a while, and the doctor comes in to check on you. When the session is over, the needles are removed and you can get dressed. Sometimes, if they went too deep, you might bleed a little, but its usually not very bad and stops fast.

Sometimes I feel better as soon as its over, but other times it takes several sessions to notice anything.

If you have any needles put in the bottom of your hands, you might want to have someone else drive you home, since that area is usually very sensitive. This happened to me once, though only one of my hands hurt.

Also, you don't have to lie down. Sometimes, being on my back made it too difficult to breathe, so I was able to sit up. I think the most important thing is that you're resting. Having the needles in can also make it painful to move your arm or leg, if you want to move for some reason.

I have gone back every week, or every other week, but the person doing the acupuncture will let you know when they want to see you again.

This is just my experience, and other people will have different experiences.

جوري
07-30-2007, 05:16 AM
your reply is much appreciated & has brought me to my senses.. thank you...I am not sure this type of intervention is the right one for me.. it does pay to ask of experience...
peace!

syilla
07-30-2007, 05:33 AM
:salamext:

Actually to be they need a degree in acupunture before they can practise.

And they do not recycle the needle. They give it back to us.

Acupunture really helps for muscles pains.

And to tell the truth they only use 1-10 needles...not much.

جوري
07-30-2007, 06:43 AM

I am getting a mental image of something along these lines.. frankly, I'll take the headache over that... better yet..Thank you G-D for conventional medicine!

Muezzin
08-07-2007, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
http://images.china.cn/images1/200701/380364.jpg
I am getting a mental image of something along these lines.. frankly, I'll take the headache over that... better yet..Thank you G-D for conventional medicine!

Dang, I'd take two Anadin pills rather than have that done to my head. And I can't swallow pills!

That said, if I pull my back out again, acupuncture might just work... depending on how much a chiropractor would cost.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.