/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help - web designers

HumbleServant
07-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Assalamu alaikum,

Im not sure whether this really falls under cyber counselling lol,
But basically = I'm in need of help with regards to building a website..

I've already paid a brother to build a website - the site's supposed to be a community project, an initiative to start the masjids working together as well as a starting point to organise local activities and get the muslims active - something lacking in my local community. Either way it was supposed to be up and running literally months ago but every time it's supposed to be uploaded and up and running - the brother has an excuse as to why it's not.

nevertheless Im considering starting from scratch again, if im having problems with him now what about later when its up and running. I've already paid him a lot of money for it and Im not going to risk that again.

Im willing to pay again, but this time once the websites actually up and running and not before that. I've started realising when you give a person money beforehand they start slacking in the work theyre doing and don't bother with it as much as they said they would.

Khair, Is there anybody here who builds websites, knows what theyre doing, is genuinely interested in this project and isnt going to take the mick (to put it blatantly - ive got reason to!). If so, please could u insha Allah pm me and pass the word around if there are any web designers around insha Allah.

Jzk khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
07-29-2007, 05:05 PM
I find that the best method, if you are using your own personal server and hosting your own site is to invest in Dreamweaver. It is reasonably easy to use and not as complicated as some people make it out to be. Plus there are numerous free tutorials available for it.

It is considerably cheaper than using a web designer and once you get the hang of using it, you can design a page in less than an hour.

Here is a link to check it out. Try the trial download and see what it can do.

http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/

On the other hand if you do not have your own server and need to use a paid host. I personally use Bravenet and have been very pleased with them.

Here is a link to them: http://www.bravenet.com/

they have some excellent online tools you can use. You can get the deluxversion and have use of very many pre-existing templates and modify them with HTML and Java scripting. the also have some pre-made javascripts and they do have all of the HTML and Java tutorials you would need. A few hours of study, can save you some major money.

If you are more interested in a forum. Try pro-Boards. the predesigned forums may suit your needs. It is also a good place to get your feet wet in basic design.

here is a link to them.

http://www.proboards.com/index.html

islamirama
07-29-2007, 05:10 PM
wa'alaikum as'salaam,

you must be very new at this. You should always give money after hand, or some in advance and rest later after the job is done. You should ask for your money back, stating it has been months and nothing has been done and you are no longer interested. Ask for community brothers' help if you have to get your money back. Being a Muslim is not enough these days, you can't trust everyone so easily.

As for the website. Bro woodrow is right, making webpages is very easy. i used to make one within an hour back in the day. I can give you dreamweaver or frontpage software as well as a full e-book tutorial guide to get started if you like.

Admin
07-29-2007, 05:10 PM
http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...d-website.html
I think he's doing websites for masaajid, for Free!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
m102313
07-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

I'm a professional web developer, but not designer :D

I'm not a professional web designer so i can't make the best looking web sites, the best thing to do as bro woodrow and islamirama has said, is to buy Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 or Adobe Dreamweaver CS3, but i personally prefer the Macromedia one, it's very simple to make a website with this program.

I could've helped you in the coding and a bit on the designing but at the moment i am very busy, it takes very long on the coding and styling.

Wa Alaikum Salam

m102313
07-29-2007, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
As for the website. Bro woodrow is right, making webpages is very easy. i used to make one within an hour back in the day.
Well it depends on what type of website you mean, it's very easy to make websites with text only a simple background and few images. If you want good looking websites with with many features it's not so easy. And HTML is very easy it is the most simplest, and i agree it is very easy to create sites with HTML only, but i prefer to use PHP when creating sites, i also use ColdFusion and ASP which are also good, and these are not so easy it takes time to learn these.

:w:

islamirama
07-29-2007, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by moabubaker
Well it depends on what type of website you mean, it's very easy to make websites with text only a simple background and few images. If you want good looking websites with with many features it's not so easy. And HTML is very easy it is the most simplest, and i agree it is very easy to create sites with HTML only, but i prefer to use PHP when creating sites, i also use ColdFusion and ASP which are also good, and these are not so easy it takes time to learn these.

:w:
:sl:

I know what you mean bro. Most sites for individuals and even masjids are not that complicated nor do they have to be. I"ve seen many masjid sites and most of them can be done with dreamweaver alone with special codings. I've played with ASP but only at an basic level and never had the time to go deeper.

Andrew
07-30-2007, 01:15 PM
You need to specify in detail a bit more on what exactly you would like to have, but if it is only very basic you might aswell look at doing it yourself or using a free CMS like Joomla or Mambo with a template.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.