/* */

PDA

View Full Version : spreading the good news...

*~Sofia~*
07-29-2007, 04:52 PM
:w: brothers and sisters

Spreading the Good News of Ramadaan

I decided to post this thread up seeing as ramadhan is just round the corner! yAy :D

Abu Hurairah reported that the Messenger of Allaah (saws) said: "Ramadaan has come to you - a blessed month. Allaah has made it obligatory on you to fast in it. During this month, the gates of heaven are open, the gates of the Hellfire are closed and the evil devils are chained. To Allaah belongs a night in it, which is better than a thousand months. Whosoever is prevented from its good, then he has been deprived."

The hadeeth is a glad tiding to the righteous servants of Allaah, of the coming of the blessed month of Ramadaan. The Prophet (saws) informed his Companions of its coming and it was not just a simple relaying of news. Rather, his intent was to give them the glad tidings of a magnificent time of the year, so that the righteous people who are quick to do deeds can give it its due estimate.

This is because the Prophet (saws) explained in it (the hadeeth) what Allaah has prepared for His servants from the ways towards gaining forgiveness and His contentment - and they are many. So whoever has forgiveness escape him during the month of Ramadaan, then he has been deprived with the utmost deprivation.

From the great favors and bounties that Allaah has bestowed upon His servants is that He has prepared for them meritous occasions so that they may be of profit to those who obey Him and a race for those who rush to compete (for good deeds).

These meritous occasions are times for fulfilling hopes by exerting in obedience and uplifting flaws and deficiencies through self-rectification and repentance. There is not a single occasion from these virtuous times, except that Allaah has assigned in it works of obedience, by which one may draw close to Him. And Allaah possesses the most beautiful things as gifts, which He bestows upon whomsoever He wills by His Grace and Mercy.

So the one who achieves true happiness is he who takes advantage of these virtuous months, days and hours and draws closer to His Guardian in them, by doing what is prescribed in them from acts of worship.

Thus perhaps he will be showered with one of the many blessings of those occasions and be helped by it, with an assistance that is enough to save him from the Fire and what it contains, such as its blazing heat

stay tuned...more to come inshallah :D

:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*~Sofia~*
07-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Being able to reach Ramadaan is itself a magnificent bounty that is bestowed on the one who reaches it and rises to its occasion, by standing in prayer during its night and fasting during its day.

In it, he returns to his Protector -- from disobeying Him to obeying Him, from neglecting Him to remembering Him, from remaining distant from Him to turning towards Him in submissive repentance.

A Muslim must be conscious of this bounty and acknowledge its magnitude. For indeed, many people are prevented from fasting, either because they die before they reach it, or because they are not capable of observing it or because they oppose and turn away from it.

Thus, the one who fasts must give praise to his Lord for this bounty and should welcome this month with joy and delight that a magnificent time of the year out of all the occasions for performing obedience is welcomed. He should exert himself deeply in doing good deeds.

And he should invoke Allaah to grant him the ability to fast and stand in night prayer, and that He provide him with seriousness, enthusiasm, strength, and energy in that month. And that He awaken him from heedless oversleeping so that he may take advantage of these virtuous times of good.

It is unfortunate to find that many people do not know the value of this virtuous occasion, nor do they consider it to be sacred. So the month of Ramadaan no longer becomes a significant time for obedience, worship, reciting the Qur'aan, giving in charity and making remembrance of Allaah. Rather, to some people, it becomes a signifcant time to diversify their foods and drinks and to prepare different types of meals before the month begins.

Some other people do not know Ramadaan except as a month of sleeplessness and constant recurring gatherings, while sleeping by day. This is to the point that some among them sleep past the time of the obligatory prayers, thus not praying them in congregation or in their proper times. Other people do not know Ramadaan except as a signifcant time for conducting worldly affairs, not as a significant time for conducting affairs for the Hereafter.

Thus, they work busily in it, buying and selling, and they stay in the market areas, consequently abandoning the masaajid. And when they do pray with the people, they do so in such a hurried manner. This is because they find their pleasure in the market places. This is the extent that the notions and views (of Ramadaan) have been changed.

Some of the Salaf used to say: "Indeed Allaah, the Most High, has made the month of Ramadaan as a competition for His creatures, in which they may race with one another to His pleasure, by obeying Him. Thus, one group comes first and so they prosper and another group comes last and so they fail."

Also, the individual does not know if this is perhaps the last Ramadaan he will ever see in his life, if he completes it. How many men, women and children have fasted with us the past year, and yet now they lie buried in the depths of the earth, relying on their good deeds. And they expected to fast many more Ramadaans.

Likewise, we too shall all follow their path. Therefore, it is upon the Muslim to rejoice at this magnificent occasion for worship. And he should not renounce it, but instead busy himself with what will benefit him and what will cause its effect to remain. For what else is it, except numbered days, which are fasted in succession and which finish rapidly.

May Allaah make us from among those who are foremost in attaining good deeds. Ameen :D

source: www.abdurrahman.org

:w:

- Qatada -
07-29-2007, 08:07 PM
:salamext:

Alhamdulillah this is WELL exciting! jazak Allaah khayr!

*~Sofia~*
07-29-2007, 08:13 PM

Carrying on the Ramadhan theme, here's a few benefits of the blessed month :)

Benefits of Ramadhan

Abu Said al-Khudri reported that the Messenger of Allah (saw) , said:

"No servant fasts on a day in the path of Allah except that Allah removes the Hell Fire seventy years further away from his face." [Bukhari and Muslim]

Abu Sa`eed al-Khudri relates that the Messenger of Allah (saw) said :

"Fasting is a shield with which a servant protects himself from the Fire" [Ahmad, Sahih]

`Uthman Ibn Abil-`Aas relates that the Messenger of Allah (saw) said :

"Whoever fasts a day in the way of Allah, Allah places between him and the Fire a trench like that between heavens and the earth". [at-Tirmithi and at-Tabarani, sahih]

Abu Huraira narrated that Allah's Messenger (saw) said :

"When the month of Ramadan starts, the gates of the heaven are opened and the gates of Hell are closed and the devils are chained." [Bukhari]

The Messenger of Allah (saw) said :

"When it is the first night of Ramadahn the evil devils are chained. The gates of Fire are locked- not a single gate is opened, and the gates of Paradise are opened- not a single gate is locked, and a caller calls out :'O seeker of good come forward, and O seeker of evil withhold, and there are many whom Allah frees from the Fire - and that is every night. [at-Tirmithi, Ibn Majah, and Ibn Khuzaimah : Hasan]

Jabir (ra) relates that the Messenger of Allah (saw) said :

"In every day and every night, during the month of Ramadan, there are people to whom Allah grants freedom from the Fire, and there is for every Muslim a supplication which he can make and will be granted". [al-Bazzaar, Ahmad and Ibn Majah; Sahih]

In the famous hadith of Mu`ath ... I said O Messenger of Allah (saw) , tell me of an act which will take me into Paradise and keep me away from Hell-Fire.

He (saw) said: you have asked me about a major matter, yet it easy for him for whom Allah Almighty makes it easy. You should ..., You should fast in Ramadan .... Then he (the Prophet saw ) said : Shall I not show you the gates of goodness ? Fasting is a shield ...[at-Tirmithi]

May Allah (swt) make this ramadhan a shield to protect the ummah from the Hell-fire. Ameen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*~Sofia~*
07-29-2007, 08:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
:salamext:

Alhamdulillah this is WELL exciting! jazak Allaah khayr!
yeh it is is'nt it :D i can't wait!! glad you liked the post.

ummAbdillah
07-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Asalamu Alaykum,
I cant wait for Ramadhan! Keep it up hun and Jazakillah khayr,
w.salaam

جوري
07-29-2007, 09:05 PM

I think Ramdan of Last year was my absolute favorite, since I got to spend it with all of you.. I got the feeling of Ramadan I used to get in the old country, when all the children would come out of their homes with the lanterns chanting Ramadan Kareem, and the whole neighborhood would be decorated with bulbs of different colors.... And people were so warm and friendly.. Ramadan has always been my favorite time of the year...
Hope this year it is as delightful and spiritually fulfilling insha'Allah.. I'd like to know what Ramadan is like in your countries..

Pk_#2
07-29-2007, 09:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
http://religiousfreaks.com/UserFiles...py.ramadan.jpg

I think Ramdan of Last year was my absolute favorite, since I got to spend it with all of you.. I got the feeling of Ramadan I used to get in the old country, when all the children would come out of their homes with the lanterns chanting Ramadan Kareem, and the whole neighborhood would be decorated with bulbs of different colors.... And people were so warm and friendly.. Ramadan has always been my favorite time of the year...
Hope this year it is as delightful and spiritually fulfilling insha'Allah.. I'd like to know what Ramadan is like in your countries..
Its wickeeeeeeeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN'T WAIT !!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

:hmm: ;D:giggling:

*~Sofia~*
07-30-2007, 02:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister-aisha
Asalamu Alaykum,
I cant wait for Ramadhan! Keep it up hun and Jazakillah khayr,
w.salaam
:D glad u like the thread :D

highway_trekker
07-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Excellent thread ukhtee, Jazaakillaahu Khayr

There is no month...like the month of Ramadhaan.

*~Sofia~*
07-30-2007, 02:34 PM
:sl: brothers and sisters...

Advice to Muslims on Ramadhan

1. Fast in Ramadhan with belief and truly seeking the reward of Allah the Most High so that He may forgive you your past sins.

2. Beware of breaking your fast during the days of Ramadhan without a valid Islamic excuse, for it is from the greatest of sins.

3. Pray Salat ut-Taraweeh and the night prayer during the nights of Ramadhan - especially on Layatul-Qadr - based on belief and truly seeking the reward of Allah, so that Allah may forgive you your past sins.

4. Make sure that your food, your drink and your clothing are from halal means, in order that your actions be accepted, and your supplications answered. Beware of refraining from the haram while fasting and breaking your fast with the halal.

5. Give food to some fasting people to gain a reward similar to theirs.

6. Perform your five prayers on time in congregation to gain the reward and Allah's protection.

7. Give a lot of charity for the best charity is that of Ramadhan.

8. Beware of spending your time without performing righteous deeds, for you will be responsible and reckoned for it and will be rewarded for all you do during your time.

9. Perform `umrah in Ramadhan for `Umrah in Ramadhan is equal to Hajj.

10. Seek help for fasting during the day by eating the sahoor meal in the last part of the night before the appearance of Fajr.

More top tips to come inshallah :D

*~Sofia~*
07-30-2007, 03:03 PM
:sl: top tips continued...

11. Hasten in breaking your fast after the sun has truly set in order to gain the love of Allah.

12. Perform ghusl before fajr if you need to purify yourself from the state of major impurity so that you are able to do acts of worship in a state of purity and cleanliness.

13. Cease the opportunity of being in Ramadhan and spend it with the good that has been revealed in it - by reciting the noble Qur'an and pondering and reflection of its meanings so that it be a proof for you with your Lord and an intercessor for you on the Day of Reckoning.

14. Preserve your tongue from lying, cursing, backbiting and slander for it decreases the reward of fasting.

15. Do not let fasting cause you cross your boundaries by getting upset due to the slightest of reasons. Rather, fating should be a cause of peacefulness and tranquility of your soul.

16. Upon completion of fasting, be in a state of taqwa of Allah the Most High, being aware of Allah watching you in secret and in public, in thankfulness for His favors, and steadfastness upon obedience of Allah by doing all what He has ordered and shunning all that He has prohibited.

17. Increase in remembrance of Allah, seeking of forgiveness, asking for Paradise and protection against the Fire, especially when fasting, while breaking the fast and during suhoor, for these actions are among greatest causes of attaining Allah's forgiveness.

18. Increase in supplication for yourself, your parents, your children and Muslims, for Allah has ordered making of supplications and has guaranteed acceptance. :D

19. Repent to Allah with a sincere repentance in all times by leaving sins, regretting those that you have done before and firmly deciding not to return to them in the future, for Allah accepts repentance of those who repent.

20. Fast six days of Shawwal, for whoever fasts Ramadhan and then follows it with six days of Shawwal, it is as if he fasts all the time.

:w: :)

*~Sofia~*
08-06-2007, 12:21 PM
:sl: everyone...

Reaping the benefits of the blessed month

LESSON 1: Gaining Taqwaa

Allah legislated fasting for gaining taqwaa:

"O you who believe, fasting has been prescribed upon you as it has been prescribed upon those before you, so that you may attain taqwaa."

Taqwaa in this case means to make a shield between oneself and Allah’s anger and Hellfire. So we should ask ourselves, when we break our fasts:

‘Has this fasting day made us fear Allah more? Has it resulted that we want to protect ourselves from the hellfire or not?

LESSON 2: Drawing closer to Allah

This is achieved by reciting and reflecting on Al-Qur’an during night and day, attending the taraweeh prayers, remembering Allah, sitting in circles of knowledge and, for those who can, making umrah.

Also for those who can, making I`tikaaf (seclusion) in the last ten nights of Ramadaan, so as to leave all worldly pursuits and seclude oneself in a masjid just thinking of Allah, so as to bring oneself closer to Allah (SWT).

When one sins, one feels distant from Allah. That is why one might find it hard to read the Qur’an and come to the masjid.

However, the obedient worshipper feels closer to Allah and wants to worship Allah more, because he is not shy from his sins.

LESSON 3: Acquiring patience and strong will

Allah has mentioned patience more than seventy times in the Qur’an and has commanded patience in more than sixteen ways in His Book.
So when one fasts, and gives up one’s food and drink, and one’s marital sexual relations for those hours, one learns restraint and patience.

This Ummah needs man and women that are strong willed, who can stand upon the Sunnah and the Book of Allah and not waver in front of the enemies of Allah.

We do not need emotional people, who just raise slogans and shout, but when the time comes to stand upon something firm, they cannot do so, they waver.

more benefits of the blessed month will be up shortly inshallah :)

*~Sofia~*
08-06-2007, 12:29 PM

Reaping the benefits of the blessed month continued.... :)

LESSON 4: Striving for Ihsaan (righteousness and sincerity) and staying away from riyaa’ (showing off)

Ihsaan means to worship Allah as if one sees him and even though one does not see Him, He sees all.

Hasan al-Basree said:

"By Allah, in the last twenty years, I have not said a word or taken something with my hand or refrained to take something with my hand or stepped forth or stepped back, except that I have thought before I have done any action, ‘Does Allaah love this action? Is Allah pleased with this action?'

So when one is fasting, one should gain this quality of watching oneself and also staying away from riyaa’ (showing off). That is why Allah said in a hadeeth qudsee:

"Fasting is for Me and I reward it." (al-Bukhari)

Allah singles out fasting from all other types of worship saying:

"Fasting is for Me"

because no one knows whether you are fasting or not, except Allah.

LESSON 5: Refinement of manners, especially those related to truthfulness and discharging trusts.

The Prophet (saw) said:

"Whoever does not abandon falsehood in word and action, then Allah (SWT) has no need that he should leave his food and drink." (al-Bukhari)

What we learn from this, is that we must pay attention to the purification of our manners.

The Prophet (saw) said:

"I was sent to perfect good manners."

So we must check ourselves, are we following the behaviour of the Prophet (saw)? For example: Do we give salaam to those we don’t know and those we do know? Do we follow the manners of Islaam, by telling the truth and only telling the truth? Are we sincere? Are we merciful to the creation?

LESSON 6: Recognizing that one can change for the better

The Prophet (saw) said:

"Every son of Adam sins and the best of the sinners are those who repent."

Allah provides many opportunities to repent to Him and seek His forgiveness. If one was disobedient they can become obedient.

LESSON 7: Being more charitable

Ibn `Abaas (ra) said:

"The Prophet (saw) was the most charitable amongst the people, and he used to be more so in the month of Ramadaan when Jibreel used to meet him on every night of Ramadaan till the end of the month…" (al-Bukhari)

The Prophet (saw) said:

"He who gives food for a fasting person to break his fast, he will receive the same reward as him, without nothing being reduced from the fasting person’s reward." (at-Tirmidhi)

:sl: :D

*~Sofia~*
08-06-2007, 12:42 PM
LESSON 8: Sensing the unity of the Muslims

The Prophet (saw) said:

"…Those of you who will live after me will see many differences. Then you must cling to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided khaleefahs. Hold fast to it and stick to it." (Abu Dawud)

In this month we sense that there is a possibility for unity, because we all fast together, we break fast together, we all worship Allah together, and we pray Salaatul-`Eid together.
Therefore we sense that the unity of Muslims is possible. It is possible for Muslims to be a single body, but this will only be achieved when obedience is only to Allah and His Messenger.

LESSON 9: Learning discipline

The Prophet (saw) made us adhere to discipline and strictness, strictness that does not lead to fanaticism or going outside the bounds that Allah has laid down.

One cannot knowingly break the fast before the sunset, as this will not be accepted by Allah. Muslims should learn to be very strict in their lives, because they are people of an important message, which they mould their lives around.

LESSON 10: Teaching the young to worship Allaah

It was the practice of the people of Madina, that during the fast of `Aashooraa (which is now a recommended fast of one day) to get their children to fast with them.

When the children would cry of hunger and thirst, their parents would distract their attention by giving them some sort of toy to play with. The children would break their fast with their parents. (as mentioned in al-Bukhari).

*~Sofia~*
08-06-2007, 04:56 PM

The Qur'an and Fasting will intercede for the slave on the Day of Judgment

The Qur'an and Fasting are very closely related to each other for many reasons; one of them being - the Qur'an was revealed in the month of Fasting (i.e. Ramadaan).

Allah praised and honored the month of Fasting out of all the other months by choosing it to send down the Glorious Qur'an.

“The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and criterion (between right and wrong).” [Soorah al-Baqarah (2): 185]

Reciting the Qur'aan in the month of Fasting

The importance of reciting the Qur'an in the month of Ramadaan is reflected by the practice of Jibreel (alaihi as-salaam).

Allah, the Exalted, would send Jibreel (alaihi as-salaam) every Ramadan to the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) to recite the whole Qur'an that was revealed.

Narrated Ibn Abbas (alaihi as-salaam):

“The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) was the most generous person and he used to become more so (generous) particularly in the month of Ramadaan because Jibreel used to meet him every night of the month of Ramadaan till it elapsed. Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) used to recite the Qur'aan to him…” [Saheeh al-Bukharee (vol. 6, no. 519)]

The Qur'aan and the Fasting will intercede for the slave on the day of Judgment

On the Day of Judgment, when,

“…the sky will be like the boiling filth of oil (or molten copper or silver or lead, etc.) and the mountains will be like flakes of wool. And no friend will ask of a friend.” [Soorah al-Maarij (70): 8-10]

“That day shall a man flee from his brother. And from his mother and his father, and from his wife and children. Every man, that Day, will have enough to make him careless of others.” [Soorah at-Takwir (81): 34-37]

The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said:

“The Fasting and the Qur'aan will intercede for the slave on the Day of Judgment.” Fast will say, 'O My Lord! I stopped this person from eating, drinking and other desires so accept my intercession for him.'

The Qur'aan will say, 'O my Lord! I stopped this person from sleep (for Qiyaam) so accept my intercession for him.' Both the intercessions will be accepted.” [Musnad Ahmad and at-Tabaranee] :D

Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) has greatly encouraged recitation of the Qur'an by mentioning its numerous blessings and rewards.

He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said:

“Whoever reads a single letter from Allah's Book will receive a blessing (for each letter) and each blessing is worth ten times its value.” [Ibn Majah and at-Tirmidhee]

These blessings are further multiplied for those who struggle in their recitation, the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said:

“One who is skilled in it, the Qur'an, is associate with the noble, upright, recording Angels and he who falters when he recites the Qur'aan and finds it difficult, he will have a double reward.” [Saheeh Muslim (vol. 1/ no. 1754)]

It should be mentioned here that recitation of the Qur'an is not the goal in itself; understanding the Commands of Allah and acting upon it are the main objective.

Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said:

“The Qur'an is a proof on your behalf or against you.” [Saheeh Muslim (no. 432)]

Meaning on the Day of Judgment, the Qur'an will become a proof for those who recite the Qur'an with understanding and act in accordance to it. Otherwise, the Qur'aan will become a proof against those who merely recite the Qur'aan but do not act according to it.

Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said:

“The example of a believer, who recites the Qur'an and acts on it, is like an orange which tastes nice and smells nice. And the example of the believer who does not recite the Qur'an but acts on it is like a date that tastes sweet but has no smell.

And the example of the hypocrite who recites the Qur'an is like a sweet Basil which smells good but tastes bitter.

And the example of a hypocrite who does not recite the Qur'aan is like a Coelacanth which tastes bitter and has a bad smell.” [Saheeh al-Bukharee (vol. 6, no. 579)]

So, let us cease the opportunity in this blessed month of Ramadan and recite more of the Qur'an but with understanding and acting in accordance to its commands.

Allah says:

“This is a Book, We have sent down to you full of blessing, so that they may ponder over its verses and so that the people of reflection take heed.” [Soorah Sad (38): 29]

:w: :) :D

highway_trekker
08-08-2007, 05:21 PM
The Inner Secrets of Fasting
By Imaam Ibn Qudaamah al-Maqdisee

Know, that in the fast (Sawm) is a special quality that is not found in anything else. And that is its close connection to Allaah, such that He says:

‘‘The Fast (Sawm) is for Me and I will reward it.’’ [2]

This connection is enough to show the high status of fasting. Similarly, the Ka’bah is highly dignified due to its close connection to Him, as occurs in His statement:

‘‘And sanctify My House.’’ [3]

Indeed, the fast is only virtuous due to two significant concepts:

THE FIRST: It is a secret and hidden action, thus, no one from the creation is able to see it Therefore riyaa‘ (showing off) cannot enter into it.

THE SECOND: It is a means of subjugating the enemies of Allaah. This is because the road that the enemies (of Allaah) embark upon (in order to misguide the Son of Aadam) is that of desires. And eating and drinking strengthens the desires. There are many reports that indicate the merits of fasting, and they are well known

THE RECOMMENDED ACTS OF FASTING:

The pre-dawn meal (suhoor) and delaying in taking it are preferable, as well as hastening to break the fast and doing so with dates. Generosity in giving is also recommended during Ramadhaan, as well as doing good deeds and increasing in charity.

This is in accordance with the way of the Messenger of Allaah. It is also recommended to study the Qur‘aan and perform I‘tikaaf (seclusion for worship) during Ramadhaan, especially in its last ten days, as well as increasing upon the exertion (towards doing good deeds) in it.

In the two Saheehs, ’Aa‘ishah said: ‘‘When the last ten days (of Ramadhaan) would come, the Prophet would tighten his waist wrapper (izaar)’’ [4]

The scholars have mentioned two views concerning the meaning of ‘tighten his wrapper (izaar)’ The first is that it means the turning away from women. The second is that it is an expression denoting his eagerness and diligence in doing good deed. They also say that the reason for: the last ten days of Ramadhaan was due to his seeking of the Night of al-Qadr (Laylatul-Qadr).

AN EXPLANATION OF THE INNER SECRETS OF FASTING AND ITS CHARACTERISITCS:

There are three levels of fasting, the general fast, the specific fast and the more specific fast.

As for the general fast, then it is the refraining of ones stomach and their private parts from fulfilling their desires.

The specific fast is the refraining of ones gaze, tongue, hands, feet, hearing and eyes, as well as the rest of his body parts from committing sinful acts.

As for the more specific fast, then it is the heart’s abstention from its yearning after the worldly affairs and the thoughts which distance one away from Allaah, as well as its (the heart’s) abstention.

From all the things that Allaah has placed on the same level. [5]

From the characteristics of the specific fast is that one lowers his gaze and safeguards his tongue from the repulsive speech that is forbidden, disliked, or which has no benefit, as well as controlling the rest of his body parts.

In a hadeeth by al-Bukhaaree: ‘‘Whosoever does not abandon false speech and the acting upon it, Allaah is not in need off his food and drink.’’ [6]

Another characteristic of the specific fast is that one does not overfill himself with food during the night. Instead, he eats in due measure, for indeed, the son of Aadam does not fill a vessel more evil than his stomach. If he were to eat his fill during the first part of the night, he would not make good use of himself for the remainder of the night. In the same way, if he eats to his fill for suhoor, he does make good use of himself until the afternoon. This is because excessive eating breads laziness and lethargy therefore, the objective of fasting disappears due to one's excessiveness in eating, for what is indeed intended by the fast, is that one savours the taste of hunger and becomes an abandoner of desires.

RECOMMENDED FASTS:

As for the recommended fasts, then know that preference for fasting is established in certain virtuous days. Some of these virtuous days happen every year, such as fasting the first six days of Shawwaal after Ramadhaan, fasting the day of ’Arafah, the day of ’Ashooraa, and the ten days of Dhul-Hijjah and Muharram. Some of them occur every month, such as the first part of the month, the middle part of it, and the last part of it. So whoever fasts the first part of it, the middle part of it and the last part of it, then he has done well. Some fasts occur every week, and they are every Monday and Thursday. The most virtuous of the recommended fasts is the fast of Daawood. He would fast one day and break his fast the next day. This achieves the following three objectives, the soul is given its share on the day the fast is broken. And on the day of fasting, it completes its share in full. The day of eating is the day of giving thanks and the day of fasting is the day of having patience.

And Faith (eemaan) is divided into two halves- that of thankfulness and that of patience. [7] It is the most difficult struggle for the soul. This is because every time the soul gets accustomed to a certain condition, it transfers itself that.

As for fasting every day, then it has been reported by Muslim, from the hadeeth of Aboo Qataadah that ’Umar (radiyallaahu ’anhu) asked the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam): What is the case if one were to fast everyday? So he (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said:

‘‘He did not fast nor did he break his fast or, he did not fast and he did not break his fast.’’ [8] This is concerning the one who fasts continuously, even during the days in which fasting is forbidden.

CHARACTERISITCS OF THE MORE SPECIFIC FASTS:

Know that the one who has been given intellect, knows the objective behind fasting. Therefore, he burdens himself to the extent that he will not be unable to do that which is more beneficial than it.

Ibn Mas’ood would fast very little and it is reported that he used to say: ‘‘When I fast, I grow weak in my prayer. And I prefer the prayer over the (optional) fast.’’ Some of the Companions would weaken in their recitation of the Qur‘aan when fasting. Thus, they would exceed in breaking their fast (i.e.. by observing less optional fasts), until they were able to balance their recitation. Every individual is knowledgeable of his condition and of what will rectify it.

Footnotes:
[1] This article is taken from the book Mukhtasar Minhaajul-Qaasideen (p. 38-41) of the illustrious scholar and righteous Imaam, Ibn Qudaamah al-Maqdisee (d.529H). This article was translated by Isma'eel Ibn al-Arkaan and edited by Abu Khaliyl. There were also slight adaptions made to it, such as the exclusion of a couple of statements. [2] Related by al-Bukhaaree (4/118) and Muslim (no. 1151).[3] Sooratul-Hajj: 26 [4] Related by al-Bukhaaree (4/322) and Muslim (no. 1147).[5] (Editors note: Additional comment is required here, The levels mentioned are levels of abstinence. The first of these three levels entails the abstinence which is fulfilled, the fast is considered complete in view of the one having met the legislated requirements [i.e. It does not have to be repeated or made up, the servant has indeed fasted.] The remaining levels deal with the value of the Fast. If the second is level is not met, the fast will be of less value to the servant, than if it were met and likewise for the third. Thus it is said that intentional eating and intercourse render the fast null and void, whereas committing other unlawful acts such, likes speaking falsely, placing the unlawful look to the opposite sex. And so on will constitute a sin of one degree or another, but not nullify the fast. [6] Related by al-Bukhaaree (4/99)[7] {Editors note: This statement is based upon an unauthentic Hadeeth, which has been reported by al-Kharaa‘itee and ad-Daylamee. One of its narrators was graded ‘‘abandoned’’ by an-Nisaa‘ee and adh-Dhahabee. Al-Manawee and al-Albaanee approved of its grading. See ad-Da’eefah (no. 625).
[8] Related by Muslim

ISLAMASWEENEY
08-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Islam is a important religion everybody knows this.

Haidar_Abbas
08-08-2007, 05:31 PM
:sl: alhamdulillah we're muslims and ramadan is equal to all our sacred days theyre all GREAT! Allahu Akbar!!! :beard:

*~Sofia~*
08-08-2007, 07:42 PM
salam

jazakallah khair sister Highway_trekker for ur contribution... was very beneficial mashallah :D

keep the good posts cumin sis.. im enjoyin em loads..and learnin loads too!! :D:D

w'salam
x

highway_trekker
08-14-2007, 12:09 PM
^^Wayaa'eeki Khayral Jazaa^^

The Virtues of the Night of Al-Qadr (the Decree)

Allah informs that He sent the Qur'an down during the Night of Al-Qadr, and it is a blessed night about which Allah says,

[إِنَّآ أَنزَلْنَـهُ فِى لَيْلَةٍ مُّبَـرَكَةٍ]

(We sent it down on a blessed night.) (44:3)

This is the Night of Al-Qadr and it occurs during the month of Ramadan. This is as Allah says,

[شَهْرُ رَمَضَانَ الَّذِى أُنزِلَ فِيهِ الْقُرْآنُ]

(The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an.) (2:185)

Ibn `Abbas and others have said,

"Allah sent the Qur'an down all at one time from the Preserved Tablet (Al-Lawh Al-Mahfuz) to the House of Might (Baytul-`Izzah), which is in the heaven of this world. Then it came down in parts to the Messenger of Allah based upon the incidents that occurred over a period of twenty-three years.''

Then Allah magnified the status of the Night of Al-Qadr, which He chose for the revelation of the Mighty Qur'an, by His saying,

[وَمَآ أَدْرَاكَ مَا لَيْلَةُ الْقَدْرِ - لَيْلَةُ الْقَدْرِ خَيْرٌ مِّنْ أَلْفِ شَهْرٍ ]

(And what will make you know what the Night of Al-Qadr is The Night of Al-Qadr is better than a thousand months.)

Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Hurayrah "When Ramadan would come, the Messenger of Allah would say,

«قَدْ جَاءَكُمْ شَهْرُ رَمَضَانَ، شَهْرٌ مُبَارَكٌ، افْتَرَضَ اللهُ عَلَيْكُمْ صِيَامَهُ، تُفْتَحُ فِيهِ أَبْوَابُ الْجَنَّةِ، وَتُغْلَقُ فِيهِ أَبْوَابُ الْجَحِيمِ، وَتُغَلُّ فِيهِ الشَّيَاطِينُ، فِيهِ لَيْلَةٌ خَيْرٌ مِنْ أَلْفِ شَهْرٍ، مَنْ حُرِمَ خَيْرَهَا فَقَدْ حُرِم»

(Verily, the month of Ramadan has come to you all. It is a blessed month, which Allah has obligated you all to fast. During it the gates of Paradise are opened, the gates of Hell are closed and the devils are shackled. In it there is a night that is better than one thousand months. Whoever is deprived of its good, then he has truly been deprived.)''

An-Nasa'i recorded this same Hadith.

Aside from the fact that worship during the Night of Al-Qadr is equivalent to worship performed for a period of one thousand months, it is also confirmed in the Two Sahihs from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allah said,

«مَنْ قَامَ لَيْلَةَ الْقَدْرِ إِيمَانًا وَاحْتِسَابًا غُفِرَ لَهُ مَا تَقَدَّمَ مِنْ ذَنْبِه»

(Whoever stands (in prayer) during the Night of Al-Qadr with faith and expecting reward (from Allah), he will be forgiven for his previous sins.)

Tafsir Ibn Kathir Soorah 97 Al-Qadr

highway_trekker
08-14-2007, 12:12 PM
The Descent of the Angels and the Decree for Every Good during the Night of Al-Qadr

Allah says,

[تَنَزَّلُ الْمَلَـئِكَةُ وَالرُّوحُ فِيهَا بِإِذْنِ رَبِّهِم مِّن كُلِّ أَمْرٍ ]

(Therein descend the angels and the Ruh by their Lord's permission with every matter.)

meaning, the angels descend in abundance during the Night of Al-Qadr due to its abundant blessings. The angels descend with the descending of blessings and mercy, just as they descend when the Qur'an is recited, they surround the circles of Dhikr (remembrance of Allah) and they lower their wings with true respect for the student of knowledge. In reference to Ar-Ruh, it is said that here it means the angel Jibril. Therefore, the wording of the Ayah is a method of adding the name of the distinct object (in this case Jibril) separate from the general group (in this case the angels).

Concerning Allah's statement,

[مِّن كُلِّ أَمْرٍ]

(with every matter.)

Mujahid said, "Peace concerning every matter.''

Sa`id bin Mansur said, `Isa bin Yunus told us that Al-A`mash narrated to them that Mujahid said concerning Allah's statement,

[سَلَـمٌ هِىَ]

(There is peace)

"It is security in which Shaytan cannot do any evil or any harm.'' Qatadah and others have said, "The matters are determined during it, and the times of death and provisions are measured out (i.e., decided) during it.''

Allah says,

[فِيهَا يُفْرَقُ كُلُّ أَمْرٍ حَكِيمٍ ]

(Therein is decreed every matter of decree.) (44:4)

Then Allah says,

[سَلَـمٌ هِىَ حَتَّى مَطْلَعِ الْفَجْرِ ]

(There is peace until the appearance of dawn.)

Sa`id bin Mansur said, "Hushaym narrated to us on the authority of Abu Ishaq, who narrated that Ash-Sha`bi said concerning Allah's statement,

[تَنَزَّلُ الْمَلَـئِكَةُ وَالرُّوحُ فِيهَا بِإِذْنِ رَبِّهِم مِّن كُلِّ أَمْرٍ - سَلَـمٌ هِىَ حَتَّى مَطْلَعِ الْفَجْرِ ]

(With every matter, there is a peace until the appearance of dawn.)

`The angels giving the greetings of peace during the Night of Al-Qadr to the people in the Masjids until the coming of Fajr (dawn).'''

Qatadah and Ibn Zayd both said concerning Allah's statement,

[سَلَـمٌ هِىَ]

(There is peace.)

This means all of it is good and there is no evil in it until the coming of Fajr (dawn).

Tafseer Ibn Katheer Soorah 95 al-Qadr

highway_trekker
08-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Specifying the Night of Decree and its Signs

This is supported by what Imam Ahmad recorded from `Ubadah bin As-Samit that the Messenger of Allah said,

«لَيْلَةُ الْقَدْرِ فِي الْعَشْرِ الْبَوَاقِي، مَنْ قَامَهُنَّ ابْتِغَاءَ حِسْبَتِهِنَّ فَإِنَّ اللهَ يَغْفِرُ لَهُ مَا تَقَدَّمَ مِنْ ذَنْبِهِ وَمَا تَأَخَّرَ، وَهِيَ لَيْلَةُ وِتْرٍ: تِسْعٍ أَوْ سَبْعٍ أَوْ خَامِسَةٍ أَوْ ثَالِثَةٍ أَوْ آخِرِ لَيْلَة»

(The Night of Al-Qadr occurs during the last ten (nights). Whoever stands for them (in prayer) seeking their reward, then indeed Allah will forgive his previous sins and his latter sins. It is an odd night: the ninth, or the seventh, or the fifth, or the third or the last night (of Ramadan).)

The Messenger of Allah also said,

«إِنَّ أَمَارَةَ لَيْلَةِ الْقَدْرِ أَنَّهَا صَافِيَةٌ بَلْجَةٌ، كَأَنَّ فِيهَا قَمَرًا سَاطِعًا، سَاكِنَةٌ سَاجِيَةٌ، لَا بَرْدَ فِيهَا وَلَا حَرَّ، وَلَا يَحِلُّ لِكَوْكَبٍ يُرْمَى بِهِ فِيهَا حَتْى يُصْبِحَ، وَإِنَّ أَمَارَتَهَا أَنَّ الشَّمْسَ صَبِيحَتَهَا تَخْرُجُ مُسْتَوِيَةً لَيْسَ لَهَا شُعَاعٌ، مِثْلَ الْقَمَرِ لَيْلَةَ الْبَدْرِ، وَلَا يَحِلُّ لِلشَّيْطَانِ أَنْ يَخْرُجَ مَعَهَا يَوْمَئِذ»

(Verily, the sign of the Night of Al-Qadr is that it is pure and glowing as if there were a bright, tranquil, calm moon during it. It is not cold, nor is it hot, and no shooting star is permitted until morning. Its sign is that the sun appears on the morning following it smooth having no rays on it, just like the moon on a full moon night. Shaytan is not allowed to come out with it (the sun) on that day.) This chain of narration is good. In its text there is some oddities and in some of its wordings there are things that are objectionable. Abu Dawud

Then he recorded that `Abdullah bin `Umar said, "The Messenger of Allah was asked about the Night of Al-Qadr while I was listening and he said,

«هِيَ فِي كُلِّ رَمَضَان»

(It occurs during every Ramadan.)

The men of this chain of narration are all reliable, but Abu Dawud said that Shu`bah and Sufyan both narrated it from Ishaq and they both considered it to be a statement of the Companion (Ibn `Umar, and thus not the statement of the Prophet ).

It has been reported that Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri said,

"The Messenger of Allah performed I`tikaf during the first ten nights of Ramadan and we performed I`tikaf with him. Then Jibril came to him and said, `That which you are seeking is in front of you.' So the Prophet performed I`tikaf during the middle ten days of Ramadan and we also performed I`tikaf with him. Then Jibril came to him and said; `That which you are seeking is ahead of you.' So the Prophet stood up and gave a sermon on the morning of the twentieth of Ramadan and he said,

«مَنْ كَانَ اعْتَكَفَ مَعِيَ فَلْيَرْجِعْ فَإِنِّي رَأَيْتُ لَيْلَةَ الْقَدْرِ، وَإِنِّي أُنْسِيتُهَا، وَإِنَّهَا فِي الْعَشْرِ الْأَوَاخِرِ فِي وِتْرٍ، وَإِنِّي رَأَيْتُ كَأَنِّي أَسْجُدُ فِي طِينٍ وَمَاء»

(Whoever performed I`tikaf with me, let him come back (for I`tikaf again), for verily I saw the Night of Al-Qadr, and I was caused to forget it, and indeed it is during the last ten (nights). It is during an odd night and I saw myself as if I were prostrating in mud and water.) The roof of the Masjid was made of dried palm-tree leaves and we did not see anything (i.e., clouds) in the sky. But then a patch of wind-driven clouds came and it rained. So the Prophet lead us in prayer until we saw the traces of mud and water on the forehead of the Messenger of Allah , which confirmed his dream.'' In one narration it adds that this occurred on the morning of the twenty-first night (meaning the next morning). (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Ash-Shafi`i said, "This Hadith is the most authentic of what has been reported.''

It has also been said that it is on the twenty-third night due to a Hadith narrated from `Abdullah bin Unays in Sahih Muslim. It has also been said that it is on the twenty-fifth night due to what Al-Bukhari recorded from Ibn `Abbas that the Messenger of Allah said,

«الْتَمِسُوهَا فِي الْعَشْرِ الْأَوَاخِرِ مِنْ رَمَضَانَ فِي تَاسِعَةٍ تَبْقَى، فِي سَابِعَةٍ تَبْقَى، فِي خَامِسَةٍ تَبْقَى»

(Seek it in the last ten (nights) of Ramadan. In the ninth it still remains, in the seventh it still remains, in the fifth it still remains.)

Many have explained this Hadith to refer to the odd nights, and this is the most apparent and most popular explanation. It has also been said that it occurs on the twenty-seventh night because of what Muslim recorded in his Sahih from Ubay bin Ka`b that the Messenger of Allah mentioned that it was on the twenty-seventh night.

Imam Ahmad recorded from Zirr that he asked Ubayy bin Ka`b, "O Abu Al-Mundhir!

Verily, your brother Ibn Mas`ud says whoever stands for prayer (at night) the entire year, will catch the Night of Al-Qadr.'' He (Ubayy) said, "May Allah have mercy upon him. Indeed he knows that it is during the month of Ramadan and that it is the twenty-seventh night.'' Then he swore by Allah.

Zirr then said, "How do you know that'' Ubayy replied, "By a sign or an indication that he (the Prophet ) informed us of. It rises that next day having no rays on it -- meaning the sun.'' Muslim has also recorded it. It has been said that it is the night of the twenty-ninth.

Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal recorded from `Ubadah bin As-Samit that he asked the Messenger of Allah about the Night of Decree and he replied,

«فِي رَمَضَانَ فَالْتَمِسُوهَا فِي الْعَشْرِ الْأَوَاخِرِ، فَإِنَّهَا فِي وِتْرٍ إِحْدَى وَعِشْرِينَ، أَوْ ثَلَاثٍ وَعِشْرِينَ، أَوْ خَمْسٍ وَعِشْرِينَ، أَوْ سَبْعٍ وَعِشْرِينَ، أَوْ تِسْعٍ وَعِشْرِينَ، أَوْ فِي آخِرِ لَيْلَة»

(Seek it in Ramadan in the last ten nights. For verily, it is during the odd nights, the twenty-first, or the twenty-third, or the twenty-fifth, or the twenty-seventh, or the twenty-ninth, or during the last night.)

Imam Ahmad also recorded from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allah said about the Night of Al-Qadr,

«إِنَّهَا لَيْلَةُ سَابِعَةٍ أَوْ تَاسِعَةٍ وَعِشْرِينَ، وَإِنَّ الْمَلَائِكَةَ تِلْكَ اللَّيْلَةَ فِي الْأَرْضِ أَكْثَرُ مِنْ عَدَدِ الْحَصَى»

Verily, it is during the twenty-seventh or the twenty-ninth night. And verily, the angels who are on the earth during that night are more numerous than the number of pebbles. (Ahmad)

At-Tirmidhi recorded from Abu Qilabah that he said, "The Night of Al-Qadr moves around (i.e., from year to year) throughout the last ten nights.''

This view that At-Tirmidhi mentions from Abu Qilabah has also been recorded by Malik, Ath-Thawri, Ahmad bin Hanbal, Ishaq bin Rahuyah, Abu Thawr, Al-Muzani, Abu Bakr bin Khuzaymah and others.

It has also been related from Ash-Shafi`i, and Al-Qadi reported it from him, and this is most likely. And Allah knows best.

Tafseer ibn Katheer Soorah 95 al Qadr

highway_trekker
08-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Supplication during the Night of Decree

It is recommended to supplicate often during all times, especially during the month of Ramadan, in the last ten nights, and during the odd nights of it even more so.

It is recommended that one say the following supplication a lot:

"O Allah! Verily, You are the Oft-Pardoning, You love to pardon, so pardon me.''

This is due to what Imam Ahmad recorded from `A'ishah, that she said, "O Messenger of Allah! If I find the Night of Al-Qadr what should I say''

He replied,

«قُولِي: اللْهُمَّ إِنَّكَ عَفُوٌّ تُحِبُّ الْعَفْوَ فَاعْفُ عَنِّي»

Say:

"O Allah! Verily, You are the Oft-Pardoning, You love to pardon, so pardon me.''

At-Tirmidhi, An-Nasa'i and Ibn Majah have all recorded this Hadith.

rozeena
08-14-2007, 12:23 PM
thanks 4 posting that sis. its got me excited to. cant wait for ramadhan

*~Sofia~*
08-25-2007, 11:01 AM

Fruits of Ramadhan... :D

The Virtues of Ramadaan

a) The Hellfire is locked and the gates of Paradise are opened

Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “When Ramadaan comes the gates of Paradise are opened and the gates of the Fire are locked and the devils are chained...”

All praise is for Allah Who out of His infinite Mercy locks the gates of Hell, chains and shackles the devils and opens up the gates of Paradise in this month for His servants, making it easier for them to devote this special time to His worship.

It makes it harder for the evil jinn to corrupt the people as they usually do, because Insha'Allah the Muslims will be occupied with fasting, engaged in reading the Qur'aan, busy with extra prayers and in doing other righteous actions which help clean and purify their hearts.

b) Sins are Forgiven.

The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) explained to his Ummah that Ramadaan has such a high station that even if a Muslim's sins were as much as the foam upon the sea, they would be forgiven through fasting in this month.

He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “He who fasts in Ramadaan due to eemaan and hoping for reward from Allah then his previous sins are forgiven.”

Furthermore, in this month people are freed from the Hellfire every day and night, due to Allah's extreme Mercy.

The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) told us in this regard that:

“There are in the month of Ramadaan in every day and night, those whom Allah grants freedom from the Fire, and there is for every Muslim a supplication which he can make and it will be granted.”

This supplication, which is never rejected occurs at the time of breaking the fast.

c) Lailatul-Qadr

Another virtue of this blessed month is that in it falls the night that is better than a thousand months, in which descends the angels and the Rooh, and in which if one is standing in prayer out of faith and seeking reward, then his previous sins are forgiven. This is the Night of Decree - Lailatul-Qadr .

*~Sofia~*
08-25-2007, 11:07 AM

The Virtues of Fasting...

Fasting itself is an action which has many virtues and rewards, Allah - the one free from all imperfections - revealed in His Book

“..and fast, it is better for you if you did but know.” [Soorah al- Baqarah (2:184)

To try and help us understand just how valuable it is, the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) informed us that it is a shield against the Hellfire, a protection against desires, a cause to enter Paradise and a gate from the gates of Paradise has been particularized for it, as well as other merits.

A) A shield.

'Fasting is a shield with which a servant protects himself from the fire.”

Fasting weakens and cuts off desires and since it is desires which lead to the fire, it can be seen how fasting acts as a protection against them, as a barrier, a shield, between the fasting person and the fire.

It safeguards one from indulging in foul speech, quarrels and fights. It also develops the habit of self-control and restraint.

It is for this reason that the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), ordered the men who are unable to marry, to practice the act of fasting.

Fasting will cut off the sensual desire by diminishing the vigor of the body, calming and constraining it.

“ 0 youths, whosoever amongst you is able to marry then let him do so, since it restrains the eyes and protects the private parts, and he who is unable, then let him fast because it is a shield for him.”

b) A Cause for Entering Paradise.

Since fasting distances one from the fire, it brings one closer to Paradise.

The Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) was asked by his Companion Abo Umaamah (radhi allahu anhu):

“0 Messenger of Allah tell me an action by which I may enter Paradise.” He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “Take to fasting, there is nothing like it.”

c) An Immense Reward

Every action of the son of Adam is given manifold rewards, each good deed receiving ten times its like, up to seven hundred times. Allah the Most High has said:

“Except for fasting, for it is for Me and I will recompense it, he leaves of his desires and his food for Me. For the fasting person there are two times of joy; a time of joy when he breaks his fast and a time of joy when he meets his Lord, the smell coming from the mouth of a fasting person is better with Allah than the smell of Musk..”

The main virtue of fasting, as with any action, is that it is done purely for the sake of Allah.

The difference with fasting is that it is an act completely hidden from others so it is done merely for the pleasure of Allah (unlike for example: Prayer, Hajj etc.) and so Allah rewards His servant for it specially.

d) An Intercession

Another great virtue of fasting is that it will act as an intercessor with Allah on the Day of Judgement - a day when we will be in need of intercession.

“Fasting and the Qur'aan intercede for a servant on the Day of Resurrection. Fasting will say: “0 my Lord I prevented him from food and desires so accept my intercession for him” and the Qur'aan will say: “I prevented him from sleep at night, so accept my intercession for him”

So their intercessions will be accepted. :D

e) An Expiation for Various Sins

Allah - the Most High - has also made fasting an expiation for certain sins. This means if someone commits one of these sins then he can atone for it by fasting a fixed number of days. Fasting is an expiation for:

(i) Shaving the head while in a state of ihraam [i.e. while one is performing the rites of Hajj or Umrah.] due to some illness][Soorah al-Baqarah (2) :196]

(ii) One who is unable to carry out the obligatory sacrifice during Hajj - [Soorah al-Baqarah (2) : 196]

(iii) Accidentally killing one of the people with whom you have a treaty - [Soorah an-Nisaa (4) : 92]

(iv) Hunting game while in a state of ihraam - [Soorah al-Maaidah (5) :95]

(v) Violating an oath - [Soorah al-Maaidah (5) :893]

(vi) Dhihaar [This is the saying of husband to his wife: “You are to me like the back of my mother (i.e. awful to me) ] - [Soorah al-Mujaadilah (58) : 3 - 4]

f) Ar-Rayaan is for the Fasting People

Finally, Allah - the One free from all imperfections - has particularized a gate from the gates of Paradise for those who fast.

The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said:

“Indeed, there is a gate of Paradise called ar-Rayaan. On the Day of Resurrection those who fast will enter through it; no one enters it except for them, end when they have entered, it is closed so that no one (else) enters it.”

The status of fasting and its place in lslaam should now be clear to us, by Allah's permission, and also the great rewards awaiting the one who fasts seeking the pleasure of Allah.

The rewards can, however increase or decrease depending upon how close it is upon the way of the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam).

Therefore we must know the characteristics of his (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) fast, together with its obligatory duties, its manners and the relevant supplications and then put that into practice.”

May Allah - the Most High grant us the ability to do that which allow us to capture the fruits of this month and make us amongst those who enter His Paradise through the gate of Ar-Rayaan. Ameen :D

*~Sofia~*
08-25-2007, 11:19 AM

How the Prophet (saw) fasted in Ramadhan...

The Prophet (saws) would not begin fasting Ramadaan until there was a verified sighting of the crescent indicating the month or with the testimony of two trustworthy Muslim witnesses or just one witness.

But when there was no sighting or testimony or the night of the thirtieth day of Sha’baan was cloudy and the crescent could not be sighted, he would complete thirty days for Sha’baan and then fast after that.

He (saws) would forbid that a Muslim fast a day or two days prior to the start of Ramadaan out of precaution, unless those days coincided with days he normally fasted.

He (saws) would not break his fast until directly after the disk of the sun had disappeared. And he would order his Companions to hasten in breaking their fast. And he would break his fast before praying (the Maghrib prayer).

He would break his fast with fresh dates. If he didn’t find them, then with old dates, and if he didn’t find them, then with sips of water.

When breaking his fast, he would say:

"The thirst has gone, the veins have moistened and the reward is certain, if Allaah wills."

When he (saws) would travel in Ramadaan, he would either fast or beak his fast and his Companions would choose between the two. So they would hold that whoever had energy and fasted then that was good and whoever was weak and broke his fast, then that was good.

It was not from his (saws) practice to estimate the point of distance in a journey for which a fasting person could break his fast. When his Companions would set out on a journey, they would break their fast without even having crossed outside of their homes. And they informed that this was his Sunnah.

And it was from his (saws) practice, that Fajr would come on him while he was still in the state of Janaabah (sexual impurity), due to his wives, so he would bathe (make ghusl) after Fajr and then fast.

And he would kiss some of his wives while he was fasting in Ramadaan, but he was the best amongst mankind at preventing his desires (from overtaking him).

He (saws) would use the Siwaak while fasting. And he would wash his mouth and nose while fasting, but would not let the water go deep in his nose or mouth.

He (saws) would pour water on his head during fasting, due to thirst or the heat.

He (saws) would eat dates for his pre-dawn meal (suhoor) and he would incite his Companions to take the Suhoor even if it was only a gulp of water. And he would delay the Suhoor until shortly before Fajr. The time between his Suhoor and the Fajr prayer was the extent it takes a man to recite fifty verses from the Book of Allaah.

this will be continued shortly inshallah...

*~Sofia~*
09-03-2007, 12:44 PM

Gifts to the believers......

At this stage I can not find a better gift or greater masterpiece than to present to those who fast, gifts from the Prophet of guidance sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam.

They are those practical hadiths that have been mentioned in connection with rewards and blessings. Behold! They are the hadiths that lead to the doors of happiness and the paths of goodness in this world and the Hereafter.

0 you who fast! Record these hadiths and implement them

The Prophet sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam said: 'Whoever says at daybreak:

"There is no God save Allah alone, He has no partner, to Him belongs the dominion and the praise and He has power over all things"

.. such a person will have the equivalent of a slave from the son of Ismail; ten good deeds will be written for him, ten misdeeds will be erased, and he will be elevated ten levels. He will be protected from Satan until evening, and if he says it in the evening, he would have the same rewards until morning' (Ahmad, Abu Daud, Ibn Majah - sahih).

The Prophet sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam also said:

'Whoever says in the morning or in the evening:

"O Allah! You are my Lord. There is no God beside You. You created me and I am Your slave and I have taken a covenant to You and promised You what I am able to do. I seek refuge with You from the evil of what I have done, I acknowledge Your favour upon me and I acknowledge my sin. Forgive me because none forgives sins except You."

If a servant died during the day or night after having said this prayer, he will enter Paradise' (Ahmad, Abu Daud, Al Nisa'e, Ibn Majah, Ibn Hibban, Al Hakim - sahih; Al Bukhari transmits another version of this hadith).

Again the Prophet sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam said:

'Whoever says at morning or evening:

"Glory and praise be Allah the Great"

...one hundred times, no one will come forward on the Day of Judgement with better than he; except if someone said the same as him and added to it' (Muslim, Ahmad, Abu Daud, Al Tirmidhi).

'Whoever said:

"Glory and praise be to Allah the Great"

... a date tree will be planted for him in the Paradise' (Al Tirmidhi, Ibn Hibban, Al Hakim - sahih).

'Whoever says:

"Glory and praise be to Allah"

one hundred times in a single day his sins would be erased even if they were like the waves of the sea' (Bukhari and Muslim).

'Whoever implements ten verses of the Quran will not be included among the negligent.

Whoever implements one hundred verses will be considered among the obedient. And, whoever implements one thousand verses will be among he extremely rich' (Abu Daud, Ibn Hibban - sahih).

'Whoever says in the evening:

"In the name of Allah with whose name there can be no harm in the earth or in the heavens and He is the Hearer the Knower" three times...

he will not be afflicted with a sudden calamity before morning. And whoever says it in the morning three times will not be afflicted with a sudden calamity before evening' (Abu Daud, Ibn Hibban, Al Hakim - sahih).

'Whoever says:

"I seek refuge with the perfect words of Allah from the evil that He created"

three times in the evening will not be harmed by the bite of a serpent during that night' (Al Tirmidhi, Ibn Hibban, Al Hakim - sahih).

'Whoever says upon leaving his house:

"In the name of Allah, I trust in Allah, there is no movement and no power except with Allah"...

it would be said to him: "You have been contented and you took precaution", Satan will turn away from him' (Al Tirmidhi, Abu Daud, Ibn Hibban, Ibn al Sunni - sahih).

'Whoever says when he hears the caller to prayer:

"And I bear witness that there is no God save Allah, He is alone and has no partner and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and messenger. I am pleased with Allah as Lord, Muhammad as Prophet and Islam as religion"

all his sins will be forgiven' (Muslim and the other five).

'Whoever recites the Surah al Ikhlas ten times, Allah will build for him a house in the Paradise' (Ahmad - sahih).

'Whoever recites the Surah al Kahf on a Friday, a light will be created for him until the next Friday' (Al Hakim and Al Bayhaqi - sahih).

'Whoever recites the verse of the throne after every compulsory prayer will not be forbidden entrance to Paradise' (Ibn Hibban and Al Nisa'e - sahih).

'Whoever recites Surah al Ikhlas it is as if he read one-third of the Quran' (Ahmad, Al Nisa'e, Al Tirmidhi - sahih).

This bouquet from Muhammad sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam we grant to all those who fast.

O Allah! Help us to remember You, thank You and worship You in the best way. Ameen.. :)

w'salam :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.