/* */

PDA

View Full Version : visiting a mosque

SpazzBurd
07-29-2007, 10:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on a non-Muslim visiting a mosque. I know to dress modestly. I'm interested in learning more about Islam. What would be the best time?

How should I decide which mosque to visit? There are several I could go to, but I'm not sure which. Or maybe I could go to several. I live in Connecticut.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
07-30-2007, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SpazzBurd
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on a non-Muslim visiting a mosque. I know to dress modestly. I'm interested in learning more about Islam. What would be the best time?

How should I decide which mosque to visit? There are several I could go to, but I'm not sure which. Or maybe I could go to several. I live in Connecticut.
There are some excellent Mosques in Connecticut.

If you happen to be in the New Britain area call the people at al_Hannah Clothing at (860) 229-3838. I have found them to be very nice people.

If you are another part of CT try contacting ICC they are located in Windsor and quite helpful.

http://www.icct.org/ContactUs.html

MaiCarInMtl
07-30-2007, 07:26 PM

I often ask myself the same questions as I would like to go and visit a mosque and talk with the average muslim or even an Imam. being in the area I am in, I have a few choices too as to which one to go to and I am so confused! Not to mention that I am very shy... actually terrified to go, but I plan on giving myself that little push I need to actually go in the next little bit as I am getting more and more serious about getting to know Islam.

I suggest you just give some of the mosques a call, see if maybe you find more of a connection with one than another, and at the same time you can ask for a time that would be convenient to come by (either just to go visit or if you have to make an appointment if you want to actually take the time to sit and talk with someone).

I'd love to know how your experience turns out, maybe it'll give me a bit more courage. I'm such a chicken. :embarrass

Woodrow
07-30-2007, 08:07 PM
From personal experience I have found ever Mosque I ever been in to be very cordial and welcoming of visitors.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Haidar_Abbas
08-01-2007, 07:46 PM
when u enter the masjid take off your shoes...

جوري
08-02-2007, 12:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MaiCarInMtl
I often ask myself the same questions as I would like to go and visit a mosque and talk with the average muslim or even an Imam. being in the area I am in, I have a few choices too as to which one to go to and I am so confused! Not to mention that I am very shy... actually terrified to go, but I plan on giving myself that little push I need to actually go in the next little bit as I am getting more and more serious about getting to know Islam.

I suggest you just give some of the mosques a call, see if maybe you find more of a connection with one than another, and at the same time you can ask for a time that would be convenient to come by (either just to go visit or if you have to make an appointment if you want to actually take the time to sit and talk with someone).

I'd love to know how your experience turns out, maybe it'll give me a bit more courage. I'm such a chicken. :embarrass

Say Ramadan is right around the corner.. I can't think of a better time to go to visit a Mosque even just out of curiosity?.. I have a native American friend who was interested in converting.. every time I arranged for her to go to a mosque in VA. where she lives since I couldn't go with her, she would chicken out. we kept at it a few times back and forth, until one day she mustered the courage and just went... I don't think it was as scary as all that.. It is a house of God, no one is going to bother you or make you feel uncomfortable.. in fact you can take refuge in a nice cloak 'Abaya' and feel secure that no one is going to look at you funny or wonder what you are doing there...I am sure they will make you feel very welcome if you let them insha'Allah

peace!

ISLAMASWEENEY
08-13-2007, 08:43 PM
are white people allowed in Mosque?

Woodrow
08-14-2007, 10:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ISLAMASWEENEY
Does Yusuf Estes attend Mosques?

Here is a video of Brother Yusuf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY1cIMrUE5M

I never noticed that we came in colors. I am Muslim not a painted object.

Nobody at a Mosque is going to even notice what color anybody is. However, if an unknown person visits, chances are somebody will introduce themselves and do their best to make them comfortable.

Michael
08-22-2007, 07:54 AM
I don't know about the ones in America, but most of the mosques I visited in Malaysia provided robes and headcoverings for visitors who weren't properly attired.

aamirsaab
08-23-2007, 10:26 PM
:sl:
I'd recommend going with a muslim friend who will most likely introduce you to other muslim peeps at the mosque.

Sarada
09-04-2007, 03:52 AM
Salaam Sisters and Brothers,

Does anyone know of any mosques in the Toronto, Canada area, which are especially welcoming to female non-Muslims?

SpazzBurd
09-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Thank you everyone.

My time now is limited, since my classes have started and I have a lot to study. I have class all day on friday, so I couldn't visit a mosque then. I am in New Haven, CT on tuesdays for a class. Are there any mosques there that are welcoming to women?

Woodrow
09-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Thank you everyone.

My time now is limited, since my classes have started and I have a lot to study. I have class all day on friday, so I couldn't visit a mosque then. I am in New Haven, CT on tuesdays for a class. Are there any mosques there that are welcoming to women?
I suggest checking with the New Haven Islamic center.

http://islamicvalley.com/prod/entity...hp/t/09L/i/0OD

Normally it is only very small Mosques that do not have proper facilities for both genders to be for Males only.

Ummah
09-14-2007, 06:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarada
Salaam Sisters and Brothers,

Does anyone know of any mosques in the Toronto, Canada area, which are especially welcoming to female non-Muslims?
salaam

i dont know any bcause im in england lol but i think it would be a good idea to visit the first mosque u find and they will guide you..jus incase theres no members from toronto on this forum who reply on time :)

kwolney01
09-14-2007, 11:09 PM
I think its great that you want to learn about Islam. And its great that your being very respectful of it. My first time visiting the Mosque was very nice, but before it I was really nervous because I had not converted yet and didn't have a hijab so I dressed with loose clothing and covered my hair. Afterwards I felt so great about the whole thing. I hope you learn a lot. I wish you the best.

MustafaMc
09-15-2007, 03:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ISLAMASWEENEY
Yes, but of course. I am a Caucasian (white) Muslim in USA. I travel a good bit and often visit masjids in other cities. Very rarely do I meet another Caucasian American Muslim; however, I have always felt welcomed by Muslims of all colors, nationalities and economic situations. Just yesterday (Thursday) I was traveling through Dallas and met a friend for zhuhr prayer at his local masjid. I enjoy praying in different masjids around the country.

MustafaMc
09-15-2007, 03:55 AM

Personally, I would encourage you to call the masjid of interest and, since you are a female, ask if there is knowledgeable Muslimah (Muslim woman) to talk to beforehand and then to meet you at the masjid. Often times there is a separate area for women in the masjid as mixing between the sexes is discouraged in Islam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.