/* */

PDA

View Full Version : sorbitol, manitol

Ummu Sufyaan
07-30-2007, 11:33 AM
:sl: brothers and sisters.
from a chemistry point of view, i understand that these are alcohols in the sense that they end in ol. however, i have heard from a nutritionist that these are sugars. why then do they end in ol?

jazakallahu khair.

:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
highway_trekker
07-30-2007, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram

Sorbitol and Mannitol are sugar alcohols
Yes, it is derived after reducing glucose thus making a hydroxyl group. Hence its ending.

lilah
08-19-2007, 01:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
:sl: brothers and sisters.
from a chemistry point of view, i understand that these are alcohols in the sense that they end in ol. however, i have heard from a nutritionist that these are sugars. why then do they end in ol?

jazakallahu khair.

sorbitol and maltol is plain evil imo....i think the govt, FDA should do more research on these substances and warn people more about their side effects.

i work in the health/fitness industry, and many people don't understand why they have been having 'bowel issues' until it is revealed that they have been eating foods with sorbitol and maltol...

if you want a leaky butt...then disregard this post... ;D

جوري
08-19-2007, 01:37 AM
mannitol has clinical applications, it is actually very useful for people who have suffered serious crushing injuries or head injuries, serves as a diuretic (osmotic).. I had no idea it had every day use?

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
08-19-2007, 01:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lilah
sorbitol and maltol is plain evil imo....i think the govt, FDA should do more research on these substances and warn people more about their side effects.

i work in the health/fitness industry, and many people don't understand why they have been having 'bowel issues' until it is revealed that they have been eating foods with sorbitol and maltol...

if you want a leaky butt...then disregard this post... ;D
Please explain more about it.What about in cosmetic. I realised that some cosmetic contain the subtance.

lilah
08-19-2007, 04:06 AM
these substances are used a lot in sugar free and 'diet foods'.. i know that some low carb chocolate bars use these sugar alcohols. If you eat one every once in a while, it's ok...but a lot of people wanting to eliminate carbs integrate these foods into their diet. side effects include severe abdominal pain, gas, and leaky anus due to it's laxative effect....

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/sugaralcohols.html
http://www.medicinenet.com/artificia...ners/page4.htm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!