/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Events to thank attack response

Uthman
07-30-2007, 05:32 PM
First Minister Alex Salmond is to meet the Muslim community as part of his campaign to celebrate diversity in the wake of the Glasgow airport attack.

The meeting, at Bute House on Tuesday, is part of the Scottish Executive's One Scotland campaign.

Mr Salmond has said no-one should hold the Muslim community responsible for the actions of individuals.

He also plans to hold a reception for members of the public and the emergency services who were at the airport.

That event will be held next month.

Speaking to BBC Scotland, Mr Salmond said: "It is true in modern life that bad things happen. The mark of a country is not whether they happen to you it is how you deal with them, how you respond.

I think we need to celebrate the role and importance of our Scottish Muslim community

Alex Salmond
First Minister

"Obviously part of that response is the excellence of the emergency services. They were tried and tested and not found wanting.

"But also the participation of members of public was above and beyond the call of duty."

Speaking about the Muslim community, he added: "I think we need to celebrate the role and importance of our Scottish Muslim community.

"I am very proud of their achievements in a whole range of areas of society. And they like other faith communities and other groups in Scotland contribute to that rich tartan, that diversity, that is modern Scotland."

'Not threatened
'

He said a poll coming out in the next few days showed that the overwhelming majority of people in Scotland had reacted to the attack at Glasgow Airport with "calmness and authority".

"They don't feel more threatened and I think part of that security people have is the excellence of the response of the fabric of society to that challenge," he said.

Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon recently spoke at a Scotland United Against Terrorism rally organised by Muslim leaders while Community Safety minister Fergus Ewing has attended anti-sectarian events.

Previous ministerial receptions have been held to celebrate anti-sectarian initiatives and the courage of disabled people.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6920752.stm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.