/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Bridge collapses into Mississippi

mohammed farah
08-02-2007, 02:33 AM
A freeway bridge over the Mississippi river has collapsed during the evening rush hour, sending cars into the water.
An entire span of the four-lane I-35W bridge in the city of Minneapolis fell into the river at 1805 (2305GMT).

Local officials said three people had died. Some people were stranded on parts of the bridge still standing.

The US Department of Homeland Security said there was no reason to suspect the fall of the bridge, which had been undergoing repairs, was terror-related.

Traffic had been moving slowly at the time of the incident as only one lane was open in either direction because of the construction work on the arched bridge, which was built in 1967.

'Catastrophe'

Vehicles were reported to have fallen into the river, and a large plume of smoke was seen billowing into the sky from a lorry.

It was feared that a school bus had fallen into the river, but it is now known to have stopped on the edge of a collapsed section, and 30 children have been taken to safety with minor injuries.

Tons of concrete crashed 64 feet (20 metres) into the water after the interstate bridge crumbled.

Television news pictures showed boats searching for injured people and cars stranded on large chunks of concrete in the water.

Eyewitnesses said they heard a rumbling sound as the 40-year-old structure collapsed into the river.

Leone Carstens, a local resident, told the Minneapolis Star Tribune newspaper: "First I heard this huge roar.

"I was at my computer. Initially I thought: 'Wow was that an airplane?'"

'Multiple patients'

Eyewitnesses said they saw people in the water and rescuers carrying survivors up the riverbank.

A nursing supervisor at Hennepin County Medical Center told local WCCO radio: "We have multiple patients. Some critical, some non-critical."

Chris O'Connell, a Minneapolis reporter, told the BBC: "It is a very chaotic scene here. To call this a catastrophe would be an understatement.

"We're still trying to get a count on how many, but a lot of people went into the river."

Russ Knocke, a spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security, told the AFP news agency: "There are no indications of a nexus to terrorism at this time."

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6927113.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The_Prince
08-02-2007, 02:40 AM
im confused aint missisipi all the way south and miniapples all the way in the north?

north_malaysian
08-02-2007, 03:22 AM
I thought things like this could only happen in a 3rd world country. :cry:

Aisha!
08-06-2007, 09:29 PM
i saw that on tv never imagine it could happen here

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AHMED_GUREY
08-07-2007, 05:17 AM
:sl:
The infrastructure of the United States and other industrialized countries are aging fast and this is proof of it.

Mother & Child still missing:cry:

May Allah swt bring them and the other people still trapped under the bridge back to safety ameen!
:w:

cal
08-08-2007, 02:29 AM
they were gonna remodel it guess they were to late

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.