/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A New Muslim

manwithnogun
08-07-2007, 03:05 AM
hello, i am Muslim to the extent that i lay full belief in Islam. I've taught myself all i know so far but i do have a good understanding of Islam. It is the right path. but yet i have problems; still my family does not know and they are expecting me to get confirmed a christian in a short matter of time. I do not know how to let them know as i dont wish to let them down in any sort. Another problem i face is that i have no access to a mosque or any Muslim community to the extent that i know of. so as of now i am on my own in my quest in faith but i wish to learn from all here, so if you want to offer advice, i am an eager listener.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
08-07-2007, 03:21 AM
:sl:

Welcome!!!! :D

format_quote Originally Posted by manwithnogun
Another problem i face is that i have no access to a mosque or any Muslim community to the extent that i know of.
I wonder where do you live?

Abdul-Raouf
08-07-2007, 04:35 AM
:w:

Strzelecki
08-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Yeah. The confirmation could pose something of a problem.
Do they see you as a practicing Christian?

There's nothing in Islam that says that you have to tell those around you that you're Muslim if you're not comfortable in doing so. :) Just tell them when the rime is right.

May everything work out in the best possible way for you inshaAllah and may your iman continue to grow.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
08-07-2007, 09:12 AM

hello, i am Muslim .

welcome to Islam , may Allah bless u :D

may Allah ease the matter for u . Is it very hard to contact any local Muslim ?

U may give ur family members to read some good literature about Islam ; so that hopefully they will be able to remove their misconception

nevesirth
08-07-2007, 09:26 AM
welcome to Li brother!!!!!!!!!!

Muslim Woman
08-07-2007, 09:32 AM

visit a mosque

Suitability: Men, Women, Youth, Non-Muslim, New Muslim

Contact Info:

Tel:416 536 8433

www.islaminfo.com
comments@islaminfo.com

Toll Free Line. Dial 877-WHY-ISLAM

Ask any question on Islam.

http://www.whyislam.org/877/Services/MosqueVisit.asp

find a mosque

http://islam.about.com/b/a/257567.htm

Mosque search

http://www.islamicity.com/orgs

Ebtisweetsam
08-07-2007, 11:19 AM
:sl: Welcome to the forum Brother, and so glad to hear you have found Islam, but sad for you about your situation. May you have patience brother. Maybe you can post ur location, country and someone can help you to meet some Muslims.:happy:
:w:

welcome_islam
08-07-2007, 06:08 PM
hello, i am Muslim to the extent that i lay full belief in Islam. I've taught myself all i know so far but i do have a good understanding of Islam. It is the right path. but yet i have problems; still my family does not know and they are expecting me to get confirmed a christian in a short matter of time. I do not know how to let them know as i dont wish to let them down in any sort. Another problem i face is that i have no access to a mosque or any Muslim community to the extent that i know of. so as of now i am on my own in my quest in faith but i wish to learn from all here, so if you want to offer advice, i am an eager listener.
welcome to this fourm...if u have a questions and want to no anything plz do ask me
i hope ur stay is beneficial.

michaelconvert
08-08-2007, 05:32 PM
If you dont have any mosques around you that you know of i would suggest that you go to Islamicfinder.org and type your zip code .......it will tell you all the masjids around you. Alhamdulilah you are a new brother may the guidance of Allah and his mercy be shown to you. I am also a revert. I actually still havent told my family and its been about 6 months. Although you dont have to tell them i think it would be certainly haraam to lie and say youre a christian. In the end we must know that those who immitate kufar will stand with them on the day of judgement.

As salaamu alaykum wa ramahtullah

Haidar_Abbas
08-08-2007, 05:48 PM

Say it loud and say it proud :beard: :sl:

welcome_islam
08-08-2007, 06:12 PM
i hope allah show u both the right way. its better tell your family soon because if you dont, the truth will hurt later, its better to get it done with than wait and let them find out.

Allah will help both of you when you tell your parents so dont be afraid.

7ai_3la_Alsalah
08-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Alsalamu Alikum Wa Wb

Welcome to Islam you brother :)
may Alah guide you to what's right always and avoide you from all wrong, Ameen.
we would love to hear from you and help you always.

Wassalam

Muslim Woman
08-09-2007, 12:06 AM

I read opionion of a Muslim Scholar that if one fears that s/he will face problems , it's ok for him/her to hide revert Muslim identity.

and Allah knows best.

believer
08-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Salaamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakathu!

Welcome HOME Brother! you indeed have made a courageous decision. We are on the same boat. Most of my relatives, like my father doesn't know I have reverted... in fact, I am already the oficial Muazzin - and they still have no clue.

But first things first... you really need to connect to a mosque for the Friday Ummah and more. But in case this provision is not yet available yet. I suggest you get yourself some Islamic books published by Darussalam... like "My Prayer Book", This is your basic guide for the right way of praying. Also get the proper way of making Wudu... but if you already know these things... then you must have a regular prayer room and qibla set. Get the Prayer times for your area and get a clean prayer carpet which you will be using every prayer time.

I have been a revert for almost a year now. And, I have endured already or crossed the stage where my Christian wife almost broke up with me... but I have come to the realization that - if this is Gods will - then who am I to go against it. I didn't argue with my wife... well - not after a while... but since I used all the prescribed ways by Allah from the Qur'an in order to deal with relatives... that includes spouses... then - Alhamdullillah! everything is smooth sailing right now. I don't try to preach with her or them anymore. embracing Islam is a personal journey. You cannot invite any rider with you right away until you have a cruising speed.

In the meantime... until you get your Muslim brothers nearby to get connected with... just hand around with us so we can learn, teach, and inspire each other.

May Allah be pleased with you and guide you to the straight path!

Ameen!

believer
08-09-2007, 01:26 PM
You can also start by posting your location... city or country.

I wonder why you chose this handle? Manwithnogun? are you in the military service? How did you find Islam? what Islamic Materials you had so far have read? If you don't have any access to any Muslim or Mosque? who invited you into Islam?

I believe you know the technical meaning of Muslim... have you made your Shahadah already? If not, then I suggest you should... Is it possible to do this On-line?

Mods... and Old timers - help here.

manwithnogun
08-09-2007, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by believer
You can also start by posting your location... city or country.

I wonder why you chose this handle? Manwithnogun? are you in the military service? How did you find Islam? what Islamic Materials you had so far have read? If you don't have any access to any Muslim or Mosque? who invited you into Islam?

I believe you know the technical meaning of Muslim... have you made your Shahadah already? If not, then I suggest you should... Is it possible to do this On-line?

Mods... and Old timers - help here.
Thank you everyone for your answers, they have helped but more faith in me. Believer....now i should answer your questions as you have answered mine. I found Islam by myself as someday i picked up a book on Islam and became fixed on it. Shortly afterwards i bought the qur'an. so far i have read around half of the qur'an, many hadith, and many other various books describing Islam. I do not know any Muslims and i dont not know of any Mosque in my area, but i am searching. I know all i know of Islam from the books i have read so technically no one but myself has invited me into Islam. I have not made the Shahadah, i know of it, but i dont know the arabic......
hopefully that has answered your questions

Muslim Woman
08-10-2007, 01:59 AM
Salaam/peace;

so technically no one but myself has invited me into Islam.
well bro , surely it's the God Almighty who invited u in to Islam :D

I have not made the Shahadah, i know of it, but i dont know the arabic......
here it is :happy:

The Shahadah can be declared as follows:
“ASH-HADU ANLA ELAHA ILLA-ALLAH WA ASH-HADU ANNA MOHAMMADAN RASUL-ALLAH”.
The English translation is:

"I bear witness that there is no deity worthy to be worshipped but Allah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and messenger."

"This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion" [al-Maa'idah 5:3 – interpretation of the meaning]
Allah did not chose to give this favour just to a one race but to the whole of humanity.

Therefore any one can become a Muslim no matter what race or colour he/she is. No matter whether they are single, married, divorced or a child.

Any sins no matter committed prior to Islam no matter how bad they were are forgiven. One is totally reborn and starts with a clean record.

http://muslimconverts.com

PS. to my knowledge , if one believes in his/her that God is one & Muhammed (p) is the last Prophet , then s/he is considered as a Muslim. To be recognised officially as a Muslim , one needs to testify that in front of 2 Muslim men . Anybody pl. correct me if i m wrong.

believer
08-10-2007, 02:01 AM
Thank you everyone for your answers, they have helped but more faith in me. Believer....now i should answer your questions as you have answered mine. I found Islam by myself as someday i picked up a book on Islam and became fixed on it. Shortly afterwards i bought the qur'an. so far i have read around half of the qur'an, many hadith, and many other various books describing Islam. I do not know any Muslims and i dont not know of any Mosque in my area, but i am searching. I know all i know of Islam from the books i have read so technically no one but myself has invited me into Islam. I have not made the Shahadah, i know of it, but i dont know the arabic......
If thats the case... then you are indeed guided.

in the meantime.... I will give you a virtual Shahada...

I can't say this is permissible since I have no authority.

If you know how to make wudu (ablution)... then do one first or if not, then take a quick shower first.

Get dressed like you are going for an appointment... well, in this case you are actually having a meeting with a company of angels who will witness your first meeting with Allah.

When your done... do the following:

1. place your right hand on your Chest and say these words (don't whisper it):

"ASHADU ALLAH ILLAHA ILLALAH HWADAHU LA SHAREEKA LAH,, WA 'ASHADU ANLA MUHAMMADAN ABDUHO WARASOOLUH.....

ALLAHUMAJ'ALNEE MINAT TAWABEEN WAJ'ALNEE MINAL MUTATAHIREEN"

(I bear witness that there is no other god worthy of praise and worship other than Allah and He has no partners, and I bear witness that Muhammad is his Slave and Messenger.....

O Allah, make me one of those who always repent and to be one the pious)

If this virtual Shahadah is permissible and or is acceptable... then you are already officially a Muslim... Brother.

However, there is no rule against making more than 1 Shahadah until you get a more formal one which is during a Friday Jummah. This takes place in the mosque during midday during the Friday Congregation.

Bear in mind, Allah is witness in all we do. I believe for the meantime, if you do this the earlier... the better for you.

Give thanks to Allah! and Welcome back home brother.

P.S.

I suggest you finish reading the Qur'an first before you read any other islamic material. It's like you have to watch the full length movie first... because watching the trailers or film reviews will only disrupt the flow of the really good story. One good English Qur'an is the one published by SAHEEH INTERNATIONAL.

Muslim Woman
08-10-2007, 02:17 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by believer
If thats the case... then you are indeed guided.

Alhamdulillah ( praise be to God only )

in the meantime.... I will give you a virtual Shahada...
ooopsss , bro is off line :'(

I just missed the opportunity to witness a wonderful event imsad

there is no rule against making more than 1 Shahadah until you get a more formal one which is during a Friday Jummah. This takes place in the mosque during midday during the Friday Congregation.
Shahada: Declaration of Faith (video)

http://islam.org/Video/iis/Shahada.ram

http://www.islamicschool.net/links.htm

I suggest you finish reading the Qur'an first
here is a link for translation in multi-languages

http://www.islamicschool.net/links.htm

kwolney01
09-06-2007, 02:01 AM
Your story is a lot like mine. My whole family is christian and I want to become Muslim..I feel like I'am a Muslim but I just don't know how to tell my family. Also I think you should buy some Islamic books and just keep researching and learning..thats what I'm doing right now. I hope that you can find a Muslim friend to help you. Good Luck with everything.

Muslim Woman
09-06-2007, 09:39 AM

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

(May the peace, mercy and blessings of God Almighty be upon you)

format_quote Originally Posted by kwolney01
..I feel like I'am a Muslim but I just don't know how to tell my family. .

sis , u don't have to start jumping & shouting out that hey , hey everybody listen ...i m a Muslim now :p

If u fear hostile reaction , then it's ok if u hide ur identity . Ask Allah to help u . God Willing , a way will come out :)

To introduce ur family members with Islam , u may bring home translation of holy Quran . Also , some good books on Islam written by reverts like Gary Miller , Yusuf Estets , Jeffery Lang or audio/ VCD of Yusuf Islam ( Cat Stevens ) , Dawud ( David ) Ali etc.

verses we all need for this life & the hereafter

God invites [man] unto the abode of peace, and guides him that wills onto a straight way.

-Quran (10:25)

zarhad
09-06-2007, 09:44 AM
salaam sister welcome.

i had a friend who told her parents and learning from her experence the best way to tell your parents is by becoming a better daughter, listen more talk highly of islam with out insulting there beliefs you can make them hopefully respect islam rather then feel threatened by it, in either case im sure it must be difficuly however there are alot of people in the fourm that are in very simular situations...good luck sister

believer
09-06-2007, 10:24 AM
I am a bit thinking about how your concept of Islam is... you've mentioned you have read many hadiths... and you are only halfway in finishing the Qur'an. I have been a Muslim for 1 year now and has been practicing since. I have read only the Qur'an in one month before I took my Shahada...

I wonder how you are able to say you are already a Muslim by simply reading Islamic materials and not practicing the orders of Allah?

Unless you make a Shahadah or personally testify that there is only one God and that is Allah SWT... and that you testify that Muhammad is His slave and servant as well as all the other Prophets... and that you surrender to Allah alone... worship Him alone, Praise Him alone and Pray to Him alone... then you are technically a Muslim.

It's not enough to say that you believe and you will not be tested.

As Yusuf Estes say: Islam is a strange religion... all the other religion guarantees you will go to heaven if you join them... Islam guarantees only that you can go to hell... unless you believe in the Oneness of Allah, and follow his orders and the ways of the Prophet, not practice Shirk, nor practice Hypocricy.

It's easy to say "We believe" - and witness the naivity of Muslims reacting enthusiastically with ones' admission... but - once you say it... your meter is already counting... it is counting with Allah... and the angels are keeping a record on how you are performing inside.

I pray for your guidance.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.