/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is acting haram?

halima-ayan
08-07-2007, 04:58 PM
i have been told by some of my muslim brothers and sisters that acting is haraam. is this true? and does it mean that muslims cannot become actors???

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
deeah_2
08-07-2007, 07:46 PM
acting could be haram if you were acting as a blasphemer someone who did not believe in or except if Islam. But if you were playing the part of a beliver then that would not be haram because you would be exposing more people to Islam. I think it would depend more on the role that you are playing. Acting or not you have to be very careful about the words your tounge utters and what you expose the people to. Allah Knows Best!

Strzelecki
08-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Hey. I'm hoping to get into acting too at some point in the future inshaAllah. :)

This is all I could find...
format_quote Originally Posted by Question
Dear brother in Islam,

I have a friend who has entered Islam by his own choice. 4-5 years ago (he is in his late 20's). His iman is very strong by the will of Allah, and he has recently started to learn about the various aspects of this deen in detail.

He is also kind of struggling with employment - working odd jobs here and there - recently, he got a job offer as an actor (starting off making short commercials and whatnot); and he wants to know whether he should take up the job. He says he has iman but is unsure of what the Islamic ruling is.
If you can please provide an answer, I would appreciate it. May Allah reward you.
format_quote Originally Posted by Answer
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Acting is like singing; the good of it is halal and the bad of its is haram. The ruling on acting depends on what role he will act, the theme he will display and the performance he will use. If he does commercials, it will depend also on the item he will promote; if he promotes liquor then acting will be haram, but if he promotes chips, cheese, computers, etc. then it is allowed.

Allah Almighty knows best.
http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa...GuestID=I26fYW

NoName55
08-08-2007, 09:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by deeah_2
acting could be haram if you were acting as a blasphemer someone who did not believe in or except if Islam. But if you were playing the part of a beliver then that would not be haram because you would be exposing more people to Islam. I think it would depend more on the role that you are playing. Acting or not you have to be very careful about the words your tounge utters and what you expose the people to. Allah Knows Best!
then how would you cast any villains say for example: Story of life of RasulAllah? what is haram is acting in hindu type films whether Pakistani or Indian or European or Hollywood.

Stop giving guesswork as rulings!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Intisar
08-08-2007, 09:43 AM
:w:

Well, I guess it depends. I mean, is music entirely haraam? It's the same scenario. It just depends what you're getting yourself into. There are haram activities in which you must participate in such as on-screen love scenes, uncovered women, drugs and alcohol etc. Plus, it's an industry in which you must have a lot of connections and you are never really assured anything.

:sl:

leader
08-08-2007, 11:52 PM
it depends in wich catorgry u r actin in
if its with music
movies
advertisements what ever but u should always remember ur religion be4 u do it

SirDemonic
08-15-2007, 10:10 AM
I was thinking about becoming a actor and if i was famous and said i went to islamicboard.com can you imagine how many people would join this forum? :D

I personally think acting isn't haraam unless you do the bad stuff, you lot get the drift right? dont know you :thumbs_up

so yeah thats my thoughts on it

Marzipan<3
08-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Acting is only 7aram if it involves nudity.

Kittygyal
08-22-2007, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Marzipan<3
Acting is only 7aram if it involves nudity.
:sl:

true indeed :thumbs_up and also remember if it's acting with the opposite gender, even as a joke.

Isambard
08-22-2007, 06:54 PM
What about something like...I dunno a war movie? Like if te part is to play a Nazi? Or a Stormtrooper from Star Wars?

Or this a grey area?

IbnAbdulHakim
08-22-2007, 06:58 PM
actin is haram if it involves haram, for example many scholars say the movie "the message" was not haram, Allahu A'lam

Umm Yoosuf
08-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Question:
I would like to know the ruling for skits/dramas/plays for children/teenagers with Islamic content (like ayahs from Qur'an, quotations from Hadith, etc...) I have read your ruling about wearing wigs, false moustaches, etc...(which is haram) however, I would appreciate a comprehensive answer as many people who have some knowledge of the deen have said skits are allowable for youngsters. I would be much obliged for your early reply as we have a halaqa for young people and may Allah save us from going against the book and the Sunnah.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

This is one of the issues concerning which the scholars differed; some of them forbid it altogether and some of them permit it, but within the guidelines of sharee’ah. Before we discuss the different views on this matter, we should point out that there is no dispute at all concerning the kind of acting which involves promiscuity and the mixing of men and women, and other kinds of evil actions, which is well-known on the screen. There is no dispute among the scholars concerning the prohibition of such acting.
Read on:

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=10836.&ln=eng

snakelegs
08-22-2007, 10:44 PM
so far, it seems that it is really common sense.
advertising would be a grey area though, i think. many if not most commercials are for unneccessary products and use manipulation and deceit to create a need.
wouldn't this be unethical and therefore haram?

Yanal
08-23-2007, 12:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirDemonic
I was thinking about becoming a actor and if i was famous and said i went to islamicboard.com can you imagine how many people would join this forum? :D

I personally think acting isn't haraam unless you do the bad stuff, you lot get the drift right? dont know you :thumbs_up

so yeah thats my thoughts on it
Asalam alakum but that would be their reason to join to talk to you not to learn about islam or anything they would just join cus of you and might never post topics of YOU not a good idea just my opinion:-\

tryinghard
08-23-2007, 04:03 AM
:sl: I don't think it is necessarily haraam, but if you act out certain things that go against Islam, then you're committing a sin. It all depends on the role although I'm not certain if your role is not haraam but parts of the film/play are, then what do you do?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.