/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Student May Face Music Over "Negaraku" (Malaysian Anthem) Rap Music

north_malaysian
08-08-2007, 02:45 AM
PUTRAJAYA: The Malaysian student in Taiwan who used "Negaraku" (My Country) in a Mandarin rap video clip may be in trouble

Police are considering action under the Sedition Act against the 24-year-old man, who goes by the name of "Namewee".

Deputy Internal Security Minister Datuk Johari Baharum said yesterday the police would study the six-minute video clip on YouTube.

"We will have to look at it first to determine whether he flouted the law. If he has, we will act against him under the Sedition Act"

Namewee is said to be from Muar, Johor, and is studying at the Ming Chuan University.

Harian Metro reported the antics of the 24-year-old yesterday, saying that Namewee had sung the national anthem in rap style in a mixture of Mandarin and Bahasa Malaysia (Malaysian Language).

It said the video clip had been viewed by more than 400,000 people since the middle of last month.

He was reported to have touched on racially-sensitive issues by SARCASTICALLY SINGING MORNING CALL TO PRAYER FOR MUSLIMS.

He was said to have given the impression that the police force was corrupt and civil servants were slow in serving the people.

The video clip showed Namewee singing in a room with a Malaysian flag as the backdrop.

The words "Jangan sue saya, saya takde duit ("Dont sue me, I dont have money) were featured at the end of the video clip.

Deputy Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Liow Tiong Lai said Namewee had insulted the national anthem.

"He's actually trying to reflect on what he feels about the situation in the country. As a young person he has his ideals, but he should protect the country's honour and defend symbols like the national anthem."

Liow said he read in the Chinese pres that Namewee loved Malaysia and carried the flag wherever he went.

"He seems patriotic, but needs guidance to show his patriotism in the proper way", he said.

Meanwhile, Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Commission chairman Datuk Dr Halim Shafie said his officers would investigate the matter.

Source: http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/N...cle/index_html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
czgibson
08-08-2007, 03:09 AM
Greetings,

This reminds me a lot of Jimi Hendrix doing his version of 'The Star Spangled Banner', which was seen as a protest against American actions in Vietnam. An amazing performance.

Peace

syilla
08-08-2007, 03:15 AM
did u know what....i've the you tube....

u want it...rep me oopss pm me.

north_malaysian
08-08-2007, 03:25 AM
I've seen the vid clips on YouTube:

He rapped:

* Regarding the "Azaan" (Muslim prayer call)

"In the early morning 5 o'clock..
There is a morning call to wake me up..
Sometime a few sing together..
Just like singing a love song..
Sometimes the voice get twisted just like R&B style..
Although sometimes they sing until out of key..
Or sometimes they even sing until..
throated some of their voice sound like a cock..
but they are earlier than a cock..
Only like this we'd be awaken to go to school or work..''

* Regarding to government servants:

''Those people inside the government department...
They're even more brilliant..
Whatever things they're doing, they can do it slowly..
Even if those people who are queueing up going to yell at them..
They still fell as free as they like...
Sometime even bring out their own cakes..
They eat their "nyonya" (Straits-Born Chinese) cake..
You all continue to queue..
Even if you really yell at them..
It would still be ok..
cos the security guard is sleeping beside ...
and he wont care about you..

*Regarding to hijab clad women

They wrapped up their heads (wearing Hijab), crossing the road slowly..
You have to let them cross and be careful when you're driving..
Most importantly to live happily, to live comfortably..
Dont be like Chinese, everyday busy and so **** tiring..
We really admired this kind of attitude..
This is their style, their way of living..

What do you people think...? :okay:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.