/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Channel 4 accused of 'distortion'

Far7an
08-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Channel 4 accused of 'distortion'

Police are reporting Channel 4 to industry regulator Ofcom over the way an undercover programme was edited.

But charges will not be brought against preachers featured in the Dispatches programme which looked at allegations of extremism in mosques.

West Midlands Police carried out an investigation into three speakers in the programme Undercover Mosque.

The Crown Prosecution Service says the programme "completely distorted" what the speakers said.

Read more.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
08-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Wow.

I wonder if, whatever the result, this case will end up included in future law textbooks.

Pk_#2
08-08-2007, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Wow.

I wonder if, whatever the result, this case will end up included in future law textbooks.
I'm sure it will, they have evrything in em...some wacky stuff azwell. :-\

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh.

Amadeus85
08-08-2007, 03:07 PM
I think that Channel 4 should be respected for breaking political correctness and focusing on subject that other channels would never showed.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pk_#2
08-08-2007, 03:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
I think that Channel 4 should be respected for breaking political correctness and focusing on subject that other channels would never showed.
Respected for BREAKING pc?

what ever for?

IbnAbdulHakim
08-08-2007, 03:11 PM
i think you need to completely rethink wat u said

channel 4 allowed lies against muslims,

if u respect that then i dont respect u, infact if u respect that then i find you to be quite dispicable

Amadeus85
08-08-2007, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
Respected for BREAKING pc?

what ever for?
Because political correctness makes various taboos and make them impossible to discuss. For example, In Europe we cant say bad words about homesexual relationships, about feminism or abortion. And islam is going to be the next tabbo i guess. No criticizing word for some issues. Thats why i think that its good to break political correctness and allow full freedom of speech.

Pk_#2
08-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Because political correctness makes various taboos and make them impossible to discuss. For example, In Europe we cant say bad words about homesexual relationships, about feminism or abortion. And islam is going to be the next tabbo i guess. No criticizing word for some issues. Thats why i think that its good to break political correctness and allow full freedom of speech.
Political correctness doesn't make the taboo it hides em..

Islam isn't taboo either, what are you chatting about?

Isnt that a good thing (the bold part) ? :-\

I think political correctness is a good thing, you still have your freedom of speech and new less explicit vocab.. :-[

Amadeus85
08-08-2007, 03:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
i think you need to completely rethink wat u said

channel 4 allowed lies against muslims,

if u respect that then i dont respect u, infact if u respect that then i find you to be quite dispicable
No, i dont need anything. I can think and speak what i feel that is right.
Channel 4 showed what is going on in some brittish mosques, and muslims should rather think how to stop the extremism than to attack those who showed the reality.

BTW since muslims live in Europe, you must learn that media will attack religion always, just like they attack my religion. :)

IbnAbdulHakim
08-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Channel 4 showed what is going on in some brittish mosques, and muslims should rather think how to stop the extremism than to attack those who showed the reality.

BTW since muslims live in Europe, you must learn that media will attack religion always, just like they attack my religion. :)
but u respect that? u respect them attacking religion?

u respect them making lies against others, they took every comment of the muslims out of context to suit their whims and desires, dont be blind to that.

plz think bout wat ur sayin, its kinda sad...

czgibson
08-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Greetings,

I'm fairly shocked - I normally trust Channel 4. Dispatches is a respected programme and it's going to have a real dent in its credibility now.

I'm all in favour of freedom of speech, and we should all have the right to attack or condemn anything if there are legitimate grounds for doing so, but deliberately taking people's words out of context in order to support a prior agenda, which is what seems to have happened here, is clearly unacceptable.

Peace

Amadeus85
08-08-2007, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
but u respect that? u respect them attacking religion?

u respect them making lies against others, they took every comment of the muslims out of context to suit their whims and desires, dont be blind to that.

plz think bout wat ur sayin, its kinda sad...
I saw those Undercover videos many times. When a muslim cleric say that muslims in Britain are there to take over the country, why shouldnt i believe him? When muslim cleric says that all kaafirs are liers , why shouldnt i believe him? When he speaks that all women are deficent..:( Those wordse, and many others werent said by non muslims, they were said by muslim clerics. And Channel4 just revealed what is going on in some mosques.

Pk_#2
08-08-2007, 03:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

I'm fairly shocked - I normally trust Channel 4. Dispatches is a respected programme and it's going to have a real dent in its credibility now.

I'm all in favour of freedom of speech, and we should all have the right to attack or condemn anything if there are legitimate grounds for doing so, but deliberately taking people's words out of context in order to support a prior agenda, which is what seems to have happened here, is clearly unacceptable.

Peace
Exactly, if it was true, that's a completely different thing. :D

IbnAbdulHakim
08-08-2007, 03:30 PM
I saw those Undercover videos many times. When a muslim cleric say that muslims in Britain are there to take over the country, why shouldnt i believe him? When muslim cleric says that all kaafirs are liers , why shouldnt i believe him? When he speaks that all women are deficent..:( Those wordse, and many others werent said by non muslims, they were said by muslim clerics. And Channel4 just revealed what is going on in some mosques.
you see when muslim clerics deliver a lecture they say it in a dramatic way to help people memorise it better.

so ther are times when they say things to give examples,
for example "kill all jews" they might read this ayyat out of context on purpose to later explain it but if you just show that part without the explenation dont you find that to be a lie/distortion and blameworthy>?

if muslim clerics do say that im sure they mean something else, and if you just take the full context and try to understand it im sure you will see a whole different picture.

bbc4 has taken out of context every speech to distort the image of islam, and ur a victim...

Pk_#2
08-08-2007, 03:30 PM
why don't you understand bro, that what you heard was twisted. :rollseyes

Okay doesn't matter, go to sleep. You sound depressed, get well soon? :X

The_Prince
08-08-2007, 03:35 PM

did u miss the part about them distorting and taking the preachers comments out of context or do you wilfully ignore that and act stupid?

------
08-08-2007, 03:38 PM
:salamext:

BTW since muslims live in Europe, you must learn that media will attack religion always, just like they attack my religion.
Excuse me? Oh yeah I'm sorry, thats what British people call 'freedom of speech', right?! Please. That's pathetic.

Amadeus85
08-08-2007, 03:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
why don't you understand bro, that what you heard was twisted. :rollseyes

Okay doesn't matter, go to sleep. You sound depressed, get well soon? :X
No i dont feel depressed at all :sunny: . And here its not time to sleep yet. I just express my opinions. :D

Pk_#2
08-08-2007, 03:41 PM
No i dont feel depressed at all :sunny: . And here its not time to sleep yet. I just express my opinions. :D
:hmm: OK

i think someone needs to re - read it to you, and if you have read it properly, you have some silly opinions, no offence.:sunny:

:D Ok Peace be upon those who follow guidance.

Amadeus85
08-08-2007, 03:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

Excuse me? Oh yeah I'm sorry, thats what British people call 'freedom of speech', right?! Please. That's pathetic.
Yes, muslims living in West must get used to that their religion would be attacked and criticized just like chirstianity and judaism were since hundrfed of years. Its not Middle East.

------
08-08-2007, 03:43 PM

So you think its okay to look at other religions in a manner after people distort them? No way mate

Amadeus85
08-08-2007, 03:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

So you think its okay to look at other religions in a manner after people distort them? No way mate
Of course i think that it is not ok, but what can i do? Im not happy when media bash my religion with mud, and they do it quite frequently, because catholics are against abortion, because catholics are against same sex marriages, so we are called fascists and rascists. :confused: But we got used to this. And muslims since they chosed to lived in the most secular and atheistic continent on Earth, they must get used to.

Muezzin
08-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Guys? No personally insulting other members, dissing other religions or general buttheadedness, okay?

I've removed a post which was making insulting generalisations, and its replies. Agree or disagree amongst yourselves, but please do not insult each other, or large groups of people through generalising.

If certain members would like to repost their messages, minus generalising and insulting, I can facilitate that.

ISLAMASWEENEY
08-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Well they are dissing our religion weve being too nice for too long now.

S_87
08-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Police are reporting Channel 4 to the media regulator Ofcom over the way an undercover programme was edited.
But charges will not be brought against preachers featured in Dispatches, which tackled claims of Islamic extremism.

West Midlands Police carried out its own inquiry into three speakers in the Undercover Mosque broadcast, and then into the programme-makers themselves.

The Crown Prosecution Service said the show "completely distorted" what the trio said, a claim Channel 4 rejects.

Kevin Sutcliffe, commissioning editor for Dispatches, said West Midlands police had produced no evidence to support their claims.

"We find it extraordinary that they have gone public on these concerns without discussing them with us first," he said
We believe the comments made in the film speak for themselves - several speakers were clearly shown making abhorrent and extreme comments."

He said the one-hour documentary, which was made over a nine-month period and broadcast in January, allowed comment to be seen in a fuller context.

"All the speakers featured in the film were offered a right to reply and none denied making these comments, nor have any of them complained to Ofcom to our knowledge."

Bombings 'justified'

The Metropolitan Police said on Wednesday that a second Dispatches programme was also being investigated.

Britain Under Attack featured a man known as "Abu Mohammed".

He disguised his face with a scarf in the programme, which was shown on Monday, and said British Muslims were in "a state of war" and the 7 July bombings were "justified".

A Met spokesman said: "We are assessing the content of a Dispatches programme broadcast on Monday 6 August to determine if any offences may have been disclosed."

The spokesman said it was too early to say whether officers were investigating the people shown in the broadcast or the programme-makers.

The January programme infiltrated a number of mosques, one of which was Green Lane Mosque in Small Heath, Birmingham.

'Moderate tradition'

It investigated mosques run by organisations claiming to be dedicated to moderation.

Abu Usamah, one of the preachers from Green Lane Mosque featured in the programme, said he was shocked when he saw himself depicted.

"It was the fact that Green Lane Mosque has a 33-year-old tradition of preaching and teaching the moderate version of Islam.

"To try and demonise the efforts of these people by taking their comments out of context was shocking."

Mr Usamah said he had been featured as saying homosexuals should be thrown from a mountain when in fact he was explaining it was an opinion featured in some books, which was not one he believed.

An undercover reporter claimed to provide evidence that certain speakers preached messages of religious bigotry and extremism.

In a piece about the programme, the Channel 4 Dispatches website said a reporter had attended talks at mosques and found preachers "condemning the idea of integration into British society, condemning British democracy as un-Islamic and praising the Taliban for killing British soldiers".

Police said they acknowledged some parts of the programme may have been considered offensive, but, when analysed in full context, there was not enough evidence to bring charges.

'Completely distorted'

The police investigation was extended to include looking at issues relating to the editing of the programme.

Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) lawyer Bethan David scrutinised 56 hours of media footage, only some of which was used in the broadcast.

She said: "The splicing together of extracts from longer speeches appears to have completely distorted what the speakers were saying.

"The CPS has demonstrated it will not hesitate to prosecute those responsible for criminal incitement.

"But in this case we have been dealing with a heavily-edited television programme, apparently taking out of context aspects of speeches which in their totality could never provide a realistic prospect of any convictions."

Police asked the CPS to consider a prosecution of Channel 4 under the Public Order Act 1986 for showing material likely to stir up racial hatred, but they were advised there was insufficient evidence.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/6936681.stm

IbnAbdulHakim
08-08-2007, 09:53 PM
far7an alredy posted this, interesting tho

S_87
08-08-2007, 09:55 PM
:sl:

oh my bad :-[

ISLAMASWEENEY
08-08-2007, 09:57 PM
I watched that programme last night aswell.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-08-2007, 09:57 PM
TO ALPHA DUDE:

^ i cudnt rep u so i might aswell say it here

"talk about kicking a sister while shes down :uuh:" lool

ISLAMASWEENEY
08-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Were You On About Me Then Brother.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-08-2007, 10:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ISLAMASWEENEY
Were You On About Me Then Brother.
lol nope, Alpha Dude :)

nebula
08-09-2007, 01:31 AM
i actually wrote a thread about this aswell :)

i cant believe u copyed me sis you stole my thunder... :raging: :enough!:

lol only joking

Uthman
08-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Shameful...shameful....

Here is the official response to the programme from Green Lane Mosque:

http://www.greenlanemasjid.org/downl...tter070107.pdf

Malaikah
08-09-2007, 09:03 AM
:sl:

Excellent! Great to see they have been exposed for the fakes they really are. That dispatches program annoyed me so much- it even made news in my country and and we aren't even British!

mohammed farah
08-09-2007, 10:40 AM
One of the shieks with the american accent who was on the program is on talksport now talking to george galloway

http://www2.talksport.net/index.asp

Uthman
08-09-2007, 11:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohammed farah
One of the shieks with the american accent who was on the program is on talksport now talking to george galloway

http://www2.talksport.net/index.asp

I'm listening to it. It's good, I like George Galloway.

ISLAMASWEENEY
08-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I watch George Galloway on tv aswell the real deal on Raj tv at 6pm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.