/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Should the Qur'an be memorised without understanding?

Uthman
09-02-2005, 08:57 AM
:sl:

Please present your views. :)

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Arwa
09-02-2005, 09:20 AM
wa alaikum assalam

I feel the Qur'an should be memorised with understanding.. what's the point of memorising anything you don't understand? :?

The Qur'an should be read with understanding too, not just for memorisation.

Hajar
09-02-2005, 09:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Arwa
wa alaikum assalam

I feel the Qur'an should be memorised with understanding.. what's the point of memorising anything you don't understand? :?

The Qur'an should be read with understanding too, not just for memorisation.
yes I agree with you Arwa... If you memorised it then it would be nice to know the meaning of it too. And even if it takes alot longer to learn the whole Quran, it sure is nice when you understand the Quran in all its glory. Then when you learn the whole Quran and then you begin again to get a clear view on it, better to do both at the same time, remembering and understanding.

SolaceinIslam
09-02-2005, 11:57 AM

I understand both viewpoints.

I feel once you have memorised the Quran, trying to understand it would be easier. Doing it both at the same time may be a little too much.

Memorise when young and try to understand when older since our memorisation abilities decreases with age, while understanding usually increases

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Amatullah
09-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Asallama Alaikum well,I say reading the Quran requires understanding the Glorious Quran.What's the point of just reading the Quran without knowing it's meaning.We're supposed to read the Quran then apply it to ourselves.The hounarable Sahaba's use to implement what they learned from the Quran on themselves before moving on to another chapter. :D :D :D :D

Sister_Ayesha
09-02-2005, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shukri
Asallama Alaikum well,I say reading the Quran requires understanding the Glorious Quran.What's the point of just reading the Quran without knowing it's meaning.We're supposed to read the Quran then apply it to ourselves.The hounarable Sahaba's use to implement what they learned from the Quran on themselves before moving on to another chapter. :D :D :D :D
Salam
I agree with you sister. My opinion is that it is more important to understand the Quran that memorize it. I agree that memorizing it when you are young is easier, but you also are teaching you children the right way also. I reverted just over a year ago. I do not plan on memorizing the Quran for awhile yet, I will work on understanding it completely before I try and memorize it. I believe that we need to know what the Quran say with understanding it more than we need to memorize. What point is it to memorize in when you don't understand? I think it will be easier and more valuable to understand what you are memorizing.

Uthman
09-05-2005, 06:41 AM

Firstly, JazakAllah Khair for your opinions.

I agree with zAk's view that it can be memorised and understood simultaneously. During the day, you can have a fixed time for memorising so it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. You know, the following verse comes to mind:

Surah Al-Qamar verse 40
وَلَقَدْ يَسَّرْنَا الْقُرْآنَ لِلذِّكْرِ فَهَلْ مِن مُّدَّكِرٍ
And indeed, We have made the Qur'ân easy to understand and remember, then is there any that will remember (or receive admonition)?

It is also said that the companions of the messenger of Allah (SAWS) would learn only ten verses at a time and they would not attempt to memorise anymore until they had understood and implemented what was in those ten verses. This is the best method in my opinion. SubhanAllah, what better example to take than the people who breathed the same air as our Prophet Muhammad (SAWS)? There is further a hadith from Bukhari and Muslim that goes as follows:

Retain and safeguard the Qur’an. By the One in whose Hand Muhammad’s soul is, it escapes sooner from memory than a camel does from its tying ropes.

Remember also the words of Imaam Shafi'i:

Knowledge is not what is memorised.
Knowledge is what benefits ~ Imam Shafi'i

Uthman
09-05-2005, 07:27 PM

Any more comments? :)

Ansar Al-'Adl
09-06-2005, 02:15 AM
I voted for the last option. It is essential for us to understand the message of the Qur'an, but one should not use this as an excuse to delay memorization, if one does indeed intend to be come Hafidhul-Qur'an.

Uthman
09-08-2005, 08:43 PM

JazakAllah Khayr Ansar.

TEH
09-09-2005, 10:02 AM
I say learn it, but you must understand it, whether thats during, or after, or even before. But for a start, we should all try and learn Arabic...

:)

Uthman
09-11-2005, 01:48 PM

So do you think that reading tafsir and commentary is enough or do you think knowledge of arabic is necessary?

aisha22
09-11-2005, 02:07 PM
i think its really imprtant to understand it infact its our duty the quran is here for a reason its our guide n how can we giude ouselves withought knowing its meaning.i think scho,ers parents should place a it to thier chilldern n students the importance of understanding the quraan as well as memorizing it

TEH
09-11-2005, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman

So do you think that reading tafsir and commentary is enough or do you think knowledge of arabic is necessary?

Perhaps, but you know, some Arabic, you ust cant explain into English, and it is better understood in Arabic...

:)

Uthman
09-25-2005, 01:44 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by TEH
Perhaps, but you know, some Arabic, you ust cant explain into English, and it is better understood in Arabic...
I agree. :)

Abu-Dalha
09-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Of course Quran should be memorised by understanding it.It's like me going to school the teacher is explaining the lesson she/he hands me the paper then I have to work on it.How can I work on something I can't understand.Imagine if the lesson was the holy Quran and the paper was Islam.

Uthman
09-25-2005, 07:17 PM

Thank you for your post Abu-Dalha. :) What are your views concerning the necessity of learning Arabic? Do you deem it necessary or is reading tafsir and commentary enough?

Khaldun
09-25-2005, 07:28 PM

أَفَلَا يَتَدَبَّرُونَ الْقُرْآنَ أَمْ عَلَى قُلُوبٍ أَقْفَالُهَا

Do they not then reflect on the Quran? Nay, on the hearts there are locks.

Bass
10-01-2005, 10:37 AM
I think you should first learn wot it means then memorize cos then it'll be easier as u know wot your reading

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-05-2005, 10:02 PM

Wow, i never noticed this thread.

The beuty of memorizing the Quran is that, understanding comes with it. To be honest, when i started my hifz i didnt understand a word of arabic except a few simple. As i prgresses i was able to understand the Quran and what it was saying without looking at the translation, like i was able to get the gist of the ayat.

If you are talking about the basic literal understanding then i believe that it comes with memorization.
If you mean a more deep understanding, then i have to agree with brother zAk. The Quran can be memorized both ways. Deep understadning can be left for later, but i believe that the person memorizing should at least have a general idea of what he is memorizing.
Overall, if the person intends to understand in deep later after he is done memorzing then i say its fine if he memorizes without understanding as long as he does the understanding later.

khalid zaheer
10-06-2005, 03:41 AM
assalaam o alaikum friends

it is useless.....................if you load some books on a donkey what benifit for him?

Allah Hafiz

Far7an
10-06-2005, 06:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by khalid zaheer
assalaam o alaikum friends

it is useless.....................if you load some books on a donkey what benifit for him?

Allah Hafiz
wa alaikum asalaam

Useless? I disagree, although I agree it should be memorised with understand, but memorising it without is not useless.

Aboo Umaamah relates that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: “Read the Qur’an, for verily it will come on the Day of Standing as an intercessor for its companions.” [Muslim]

also..

As an authentic hadith in At-Tirmithee proves: “Whoever reads a letter from the Book of Allah, he will have a reward. And that reward will be multiplied by ten. I am not saying that “Alif, Laam, Meem” is a letter, rather I am saying that “Alif” is a letter, “laam” is a letter and “meem” is a letter.”

‘Abdullaah ibn ‘Amr ibn Al-’Aas heard the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) saying: “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’an: Read and elevate (through the levels of the Paradise) and beautify your voice as you used to do when you were in the dunyaa! For verily, your position in the Paradise will be at the last verse you recite!” [Aboo Daawood and At-Tirmithee, saheeh]

Ansar Al-'Adl
10-07-2005, 03:54 AM
I agree with Br. Far7an. We cannot say that it is useless to read the Qur'an without understanding, for indeed we will be rewarded for every letter....however, in order to truly practice Islam and safeguard ourselves from evil, we must practice what we read and to do that we must understand it.

Ghazi
02-17-2006, 11:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman

Salaam

I do tafsir classes on the weekends and my shiek always tells us we should learn arabic cause you loose some of the meaning.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.