/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 11.6% of Malaysian Muslims Believe Suicide Bombers are Martyrs

north_malaysian
08-09-2007, 03:38 AM
LIVING WITH DIVERSITY

By Patricia Martinez
Aug 31, 2006

Her survey between Dec. 15-18, 2005 was over 1,000 randomnly selected Malaysian Muslims was conducted across Peninsular Malaysia. Following excerpts:-

The result of the survey indicate that a majority of Malaysian Muslims in peninsular Malaysia are defined primarily by Islam rather than by their national identity as Malaysians, but are comfortable with living alongside people of other faiths. The results also confirm what has been described as growing orthodoxy.

For example, a majority feels that Shari'a Laws in Malaysia are not strict enough, and 57.3% want the Hudood to be implemented.

However, a majority 63.3% also opted for the Shari'a to remain as it is under the Constitution in Malaysia (the other answer-option given to the question was, "The Shari'a to replace the Constitution of Malaysia).

In terms of identity, when asked to choose which defined them most: being Malay, Muslim or Malaysia, 72.7% chose being Muslim as their primary identity.

As their second choice of identity, more respondents chose being Malaysian (14.4%) than being Malay (12.5%). When asked if they felt all three identities, 99.4% replied "yes".

In an effort to verify the answer to the question about which identity defined them the most, respondents were asked in a subsequent question to rank the components 'Malay, 'Muslim' and 'Malaysian" in importance. 79% of the respondents again ranked being Muslim first.

One interpretation of this result is heightened self-consciousness about being Muslim, since Islam dominates public discourse in Malaysia.

Another interpretation is that after 49 years of nationhood, Malaysians have adopted many aspects of Malay Culture - food, dress and language - thus blurring the boundaries that differentiate Malays from the rest of population.

Islam then becomes the defining element of Malay identity.

Therefore, since racial differentiation is politics, policy and fact of life in Malaysia, perhaps the mostly Malay respondents of the survey chose being Muslim as indicating the boundaries of their identity.

Another reason could also be the intense emotion that a love for one's religion evokes, hence identifying oneself primarily by that religion rather than by nationality or ethnicity.

Whatever the reasons, most of our policies and programmes on nation-building and unity focus largely on overcoming the schisms of ethnicity.

Perhaps we should note that it is not just race, which differentiates us as Malaysians, religion is clearly confirmed as a key factor.

However this does not mean that Muslim respondents chose being defined as Muslims rather as Malaysians, in order to be exclusive or seperate.

In response to the question "Is it acceptable for Malaysian Muslims to live alongside people of other religions?" a resounding 97.1% responded "yes".

In response to other questions, 79.5% responded that Malaysian Muslims should learn about other religions in Malaysia, 83.8% responded that Muslims could participate in interfaith dialogue, and 76% responded if there was an interfaith council in Malaysia, Islam should be part of that council.

Unique Nation

These findings indicate a greater level of acceptance of the reality of Malaysia's diversity than appears in current public discourse.

The responses can also be interpreted as a security and confidence that Malaysian Muslims have regarding their religious identity, and the innate tolerance and justice of Islam.

These results indicate also an outcome of the daily interaction of those ordinary Malaysians who are not cocooned in their chauffeured cars but who travel, study, shop and work alongside each other.

In other words, Malaysian Muslims are able to come to terms with what it actually means to live in a multi-religious nation, without detracting from their strong sense of identity as Muslims.

This is how Malaysia is unique among other Muslim nations, and why Malaysian Muslims are often described as moderate because of their successful negotiation of the racial and religious diversity that is their context.

It is a diversity that reflects the reality of an increasing globalised world with no nation able to claim that its population only comprises one racial or religious group, and with all of humanity having to find the skills and will to live together.

This pragmatic perspective about living in diversity also came through when 77.4% of the respondents said that Malaysians should be allowed to choose their religion.

However, it is significant that 97.7% chose "no" to the more specific question about whether Muslims should be allowed to change their religion.

One interpretation of this response is that the vast majority of Malaysian Muslims - over 97% - do not intend to apostasise, and that it is likely that they themselves, beyond laws and punitive measures, will work to keep their community together.

Other responses in the survey indicate that the strongest influence on them as Muslims are their parents (73%) with religious teachers coming in far second at 9.4% and religious lectures and sermons at 3.2%.

Ninety-three percent (93%) had heard about 'Islam Hadhari' (Civilisational Islam concept introduced by current Prime Minister), but only 53.3% were able to state that they understood what it was about.

A slim majority of only 53.7% correctly identified the Sultans as the heads of Islam in Malaysia, with over 40% describing either Mufti, the director of a state department for Islam, or the prime minister as the head of Islam.

Seventy-seven point three percent (77.3%) want stricter Shari'a laws in Malaysia, and 44.1% felt that the authority to monitor and and punish the moral behaviour of Muslims should be with state religious authorities, with the family coming second at 33.3%.

However, if these results depict conservative attitudes, it should be noted that 76.6% answered "Yes" to the question "In Islam, do men and women have equal rights?" with more men than women than women answering in the affirmative! But only a slim majority, 55.5%, stated that women can be Shari'a court judges.

Complex Attitudes

Finally, in term of suicide bombing, 62.1% choose the option "wrong action for Muslims", 11.6% choose "martyr", and a high percentage of 24.8% - chose the "don't know" response (which because of it's significant size, can be interpreted as respondents not being willing to state their point of view).

In term of asking about their feelings regarding the US, Europe and Australia, the options 'Like', 'Okay', 'Dislike' and 'Hate' were provided.

Thirty-nine percent (39%) chose 'hate' to describe their feelings towards the US, with 44.5% choosing 'dislike'. In other words, 83.5% of Malaysian Muslims in peninsular Malaysia have a negative attitude towards the US.

In terms of Europe, 18.8% chose 'hate' to describe their feelings, with 38.2% choosing 'dislike', so over 50% have negative attitude towards Europe.

However, 34.3% chose the option 'okay' for their feelings towards Europe, more than double the number who chose 'okay' (13.4%) to describe their feelings towards the USA.

Eighteen point three percent (18.3%) choose 'hate' to describe their feelings towards Australia, 36.6% chose 'Dislike' and 35.1% chose 'okay'.

It is significant that negativity defines Malaysian Muslims attitudes towards what constitutes "the West", and this finding is consonance with other global surveys on Muslim attitudes, such as those conducted by the Pew Research Center (which does not poll Malaysians although it has studies on Indonesia).

The survey result show the complexity of attitudes of Muslims in peninsular Malaysia, and how this complexity reflects their real engagement with various aspects of national life.

The results also discredit some of the assumptions and generalisations in public discourse about Malaysian Muslims. As such, claims about who Muslims in Malaysia are and what they want, feel or need, are sometimes exaggerations if not generalisations.

The results are mixed, neither confirming only moderation nor indicating overwhelming orthodoxy.

But what the survey results do confirm, hearteningly, is that Malaysian Muslims are able to live with the diversity that is Malaysia, and the reality that is our world.

Dr. Patricia Martinez is a Malaysian who is an Associate Professor at the Asia-Europe Institute of the University of Malaya. This is the original text from which The New Straits Times published an article on Aug 10, 2006.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Talha777
08-09-2007, 04:00 AM
Suicide is absolutely forbidden in Islam:

Nor kill (or destroy) yourselves (4:29)

He who commits suicide by throttling shall keep on throttling himself in the Hell Fire (forever) and he who commits suicide by stabbing himself shall keep on stabbing himself in the Hell-Fire. (Sahih Bukhari)

And whoever commits suicide with piece of iron will be punished with the same piece of iron in the Hell Fire. Narrated Jundab the Prophet said, "A man was inflicted with wounds and he committed suicide, and so Allah said: My slave has caused death on himself hurriedly, so I forbid Paradise for him." (ibid)

and whoever commits suicide with something, will be punished with the same thing in the (Hell) Fire; (ibid)

I can quote many other ahadeeth from Sahih Bukhari alone which unequivocally prove that suicide is forbidden, and the one who commits suicide will go to hell, where he will repeat his method of committing suicide again and again.

Because of the severity of this issue, Muslims should absolutely refrain from committing suicide bombing (even if they don't regard it as suicide), because it is not worth the risk to be in the fire of hell by trying to find an obscure way to make suicide bombing permissible in the shariah. Furthermore, Muslims should refrain from encouraging others to suicide bombing, even tacitly, as they will have guilt on their hands too. The Muslim is required to enjoin good and forbid evil, and suicide is a grave evil.

So how should the Muslims resist the Israeli army which is persecuting them and massacring them, without discriminating between children, women, and elderly people? It is more logical in my opinion to simply fight them to the death, even if one has nothing but sticks and stones, because if one dies in that matter it is a confirmed martyrdom which no one will dispute and it is not a suicide. Furthermore, in this manner the mujahideen will experience martyrdom on a massive scale, they will have a noble death worthy of Hazrat Imam Hussain (radhi Allahu anhu). Israel will eventually drown in the blood of the martyrs. Think about the media coverage if the Muslims change tactics, more non-Muslim people will begin to question the right of Israel to exist when they see so many young Muslims from every segment of society, rich and poor, young and old, willing to lay down their life for the cause, and on such a massive scale. The Muslim should not fear death, He must love death and go to die for the cause of truth with a smile on his face which his children will be inspired by and the wave will never end until victory is achieved, although martyrdom is the sweetest of all victories.

Joe98
08-09-2007, 04:31 AM
I continue to be astonished.

Muslims claim that the Koran has never been corrupted.

I could understand if there were internal debate among Muslims over a complex issue.

But when it comes to suicide and the punishment for aposty , 2 issues that are very simple, there seems to be much internal debate.

What is the point of claiming the Koran is not corrupted, when you can’t even agree in the definition of simple issues like these?

thirdwatch512
08-09-2007, 04:32 AM
Wow, definetely an extremely diverse country in terms of opinion.

It is scary for me to see that so many people want hudood.

It seems that muslims in malaysia are a little more religious then I thought. But at the same time, very few people were surveyed. And, if the entire nation was surveyed.. Considering that malaysia is like 42% non muslim, it would obviously be much different.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
08-09-2007, 04:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98

I could understand if there were internal debate among Muslims over a complex issue.

But when it comes to suicide and the punishment for aposty , 2 issues that are very simple, there seems to be much internal debate.

What is the point of claiming the Koran is not corrupted, when you can’t even agree in the definition of simple issues like these?
It is because of knowledge. One can be a muslim, but without the real knowledge of islam one can be an ignorant muslim.

north_malaysian
08-09-2007, 04:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by thirdwatch512
Wow, definetely an extremely diverse country in terms of opinion.
that's what I'm thinking ... seriously I'm surprised that 11% supported suicide bombings.....

and Islamist lost lots of seats in the last general election.... :confused:

north_malaysian
08-09-2007, 04:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
It is because of knowledge. One can be a muslim, but without the real knowledge of islam one can be an ignorant muslim.
lots of them here...

north_malaysian
08-09-2007, 05:35 AM
I'm interested in looking how Malaysians responded for polls, and got some interesting facts from http://www.webportal.com.my :-

Which are the following described our local government hospitals most suitably? (508 votes casted)

* I'd rather die outside than go in - 51.38%
* Helpful and knowledgable nurses - 22.24%
* Full of grumpy old nurses - 15.55%
* Young and beautiful nurses - 6.30%
* Clean and properly kept premises - 4.53%

Is America right for going against the World wishes? (6,009 votes casted)

* Yes, it's for the world - 59.78%
* No, it's for America only - 38.33%
* Perhaps - 1.90%

How much knowledge do Malaysians know about Islamic law? (24 votes casted)

* 25% - 37.50%
* 50% - 33.33%
* I dont know - 25.00%
* 100% - 4.17%

Could hudood become reality in Malaysia? (66 votes casted)

* Yes, sure - 63.64%
* No, could not forever - 18.18%
* Yes...but need more research - 16.67%
* Maybe yes, maybe no - 1.52%

Is the local media truthful in their reportings? (93 votes casted)

* Politically controlled to suit needs - 53.76%
* Depends on the issue concerned - 13.98%
* Stories are often incomplete and twisted - 12.90%
* Only some truth are reported - 12.90%
* Yes, the truth is always reported - 6.45%

Pre-marital sex, is it ok? (289 votes casted)

* No, it's a sin - 47.75%
* Yes, I believe in it - 42.21%
* Depends, on the situation - 9.69%
* Sex? What's that? - 0.35%

beespreeteam
08-09-2007, 09:14 AM
this may interest you

http://beespree.com/NewsHive/What_Po...Dont_Tell_You/

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 09:19 AM

i see your finding it difficult to distinguish between the corruption of holy scriptures and the corruption of minds.

may Allah guide you and i both

Malaikah
08-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Yes, a rather pleasant surprise!

Amadeus85
08-09-2007, 11:25 AM
I think that muslims started to reject suicide bombing because lately this form of fighting began to harm muslims moslty, in Algeria, Pakistan, Iraq, Egypt, Turkey.
BTW i have a question to Malay muslims here. I want to know what they think about muslim rebels in southern Thailand and Philipinnes. What majority of Malays think about it? I would be glad to hear the answer.

Ebtisweetsam
08-09-2007, 11:42 AM

The only country i know of that allows suicide Bombers in Islam, is Palestine because the jewish people who are trying to claim Palestine is their land, have taken away all their weapons to defend themselves, and so out of desperation they have no choice but to blow themselves up.

Do u actually people think it is a fun thing to do??? How desperate would you be if you had no other choice?

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 11:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ebtisweetsam
The only country i know of that allows suicide Bombers in Islam, is Palestine because the jewish people who are trying to claim Palestine is their land, have taken away all their weapons to defend themselves, and so out of desperation they have no choice but to blow themselves up.

Do u actually people think it is a fun thing to do??? How desperate would you be if you had no other choice?
bro i understand where ur comin from, and even i dnt blame all suicide bombers becoz i say Allah knows best, but at da same time i dnt think wat they did is right...

4 example if someone is FORCED by oppression and torture to murder someone else then can you blame that person?..

sticky situation..

Ebtisweetsam
08-09-2007, 11:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
bro i understand where ur comin from, and even i dnt blame all suicide bombers becoz i say Allah knows best, but at da same time i dnt think wat they did is right...

4 example if someone is FORCED by oppression and torture to murder someone else then can you blame that person?..

sticky situation..
CAN EVERYONE STOP REFERRRING TO ME AS BRO???????:mad:
I AM A GIRL, A FEMALE, A LADY, A WOMAN, A MU'MINAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mY NAME IS EBTISWEETSAM- EBTISAM, WHICH MEANS SMILEY IN ARABIC:smile:

LOOK AT MY PROFILE, ON THE LEFT IT PROVES IT!!!!:w:

Ebtisweetsam
08-09-2007, 11:54 AM

ok to make life easier, i am gona go change my profile to sister ebtisam.....

ISLAMASWEENEY
08-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Thats because they are.

Amadeus85
08-09-2007, 11:56 AM

Hello sis :peace:

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Lol Sry My Bad ;d

Ebtisweetsam
08-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Lol Sry My Bad ;d
thats ok apology acceted- ur forgiven!:smile:

Ebtisweetsam
08-09-2007, 12:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Hello sis :peace:
Hello Aaron- thanks for getting it right mate!:thumbs_up

Ebtisweetsam
08-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Lol Sry My Bad ;d
is this better?:D

IbnAbdulHakim
08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
is this better?:D
lol yeah i gess i got u mixed up wiv islamasweeney

its the "swee" part lol

inshaAllah wont happen again

north_malaysian
08-10-2007, 04:22 AM
BTW i have a question to Malay muslims here. I want to know what they think about muslim rebels in southern Thailand and Philipinnes. What majority of Malays think about it? I would be glad to hear the answer.

I've never heard of survey about that in Malaysia...

but generally, Malaysian Muslims believe that a great majority of Thai Malay Muslims want to live under Thailand... if you see the current status there those militants killed Muslim clerics, Muslim teachers, muslim students too..

And many people know that these militants are not seperatists or islamists... they're just gangsters. that's why they killed lots of Muslim religious teachers..

But in the same time, Thailand govt should give more freedom to the Malays to express themselves whether as Malay Speaking Malays or as Siamized Malays. Thai government is very supportive of propagation of Islam but discriminate the rights of Malays to speak their language.

There are hundreds of thousands of Malaysians that have Thai ancestry (including me) living mostly in the northern states, a great majority of us picked up Malay as our first language and adapted Malay cutures... but there are like 50,000 of us that still using Thai language ... and it's supported by Malaysian government..... and proudly we call Malaysia as home.

Regarding to the Moros in the southern Philippines, there are like 800,000 of them living in the state of Sabah, many got Permanent Residency and some obtained Malaysian citizenship..... Malaysian Muslims dont support Abu Sayyaf as they came to Malaysian area and kidnapped people... I think, just like Thailand... most Malaysian muslims prefer the Moros to be under the Philippines with no more discrimination against them.

snakelegs
08-10-2007, 04:39 AM
from the malaysians i have interacted with, i would agree - they are basically very tolerant people. i guess there really aren't any other muslim countries with such a large group of non-muslims.
the survey results were quite a confusing mix!
this one is intriguing:
Sex? What's that? - 0.35%

Talha777
08-10-2007, 04:41 AM
There is a large Tamil community in Malaysia, although they are traditionally hindu, they are converting in large numbers to Islam by the grace of Allah.

north_malaysian
08-10-2007, 04:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
There is a large Tamil community in Malaysia, although they are traditionally hindu, they are converting in large numbers to Islam by the grace of Allah.
Actually the Labbais (Tamil Muslims) and the Malabaris (Malayalee Muslims) migrated to Malaysia during British period.. in fact the first mosque built in Georgetown, Penang was built by them... as most of them intermarried with Malay girls... they created a very unique community called "Mamak" I think there are 200,000 of them all over Malaysia, mostly in Penang. Many still use Tamil language as their first language.

There are conversions of Tamil hindus to Islam in Malaysia, but not as huge as the Chinese converts. We have Islamic programmes in Tamil Language on TV... and I've heard of Azaan and Islamic songs on Tamil Radio too..

Talha777
08-10-2007, 04:54 AM
There are conversions of Tamil hindus to Islam in Malaysia, but not as huge as the Chinese converts. We have Islamic programmes in Tamil Language on TV... and I've heard of Azaan and Islamic songs on Tamil Radio too..
Subhan Allah. From personal experience i know that tamils are very nice and humble people, and they have a very respectful and traditional culture. I always pray that may Allah make the tamils into a Muslim nation, they will be a valuable part of our ummah. ameen.

north_malaysian
08-10-2007, 04:58 AM
Subhan Allah. From personal experience i know that tamils are very nice and humble people, and they have a very respectful and traditional culture. I always pray that may Allah make the tamils into a Muslim nation, they will be a valuable part of our ummah. ameen.
and give us Malaysian "YUMMY SOUTHERN INDIAN FOOD AVAILABLE 24/7":okay:

Talha777
08-10-2007, 05:00 AM
Do you like their dosa?

syilla
08-10-2007, 05:32 AM
I think that muslims started to reject suicide bombing because lately this form of fighting began to harm muslims moslty, in Algeria, Pakistan, Iraq, Egypt, Turkey.
My uncle is from southern Thailand with Malaysian citizenship. Every year he will go there with his children to visit his relatives there.

He said it is horible there, the authority will shoot the civilians without thinking twice if they assume you're drug addict or terrorist. Military is everywhere, and the muslims are scared to death. It is surprising when you see in media saying the muslims rebel....cause the muslims there are so nice and humble, and don't even talk in a harsh words. They are so friendly and i think they are so much nicer compared to the Malaysian :X

In my opinion, the muslim started rebel because of the previous event where the military shoot and hurt the civilians without any investigation. Hundreds muslim men and died, but did the authority care about them? well...unfortunately not.

But the trucks there are cheap... sorry off topic.

syilla
08-10-2007, 05:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
from the malaysians i have interacted with, i would agree - they are basically very tolerant people. i guess there really aren't any other muslim countries with such a large group of non-muslims.
the survey results were quite a confusing mix!
this one is intriguing:
well...maybe they interview them using english language. :D Don't be surprise some of the Malaysian don't speak english.

Tania
08-10-2007, 05:39 AM
How can they shoot only based on asumptions :?

syilla
08-10-2007, 05:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
How can they shoot only based on asumptions :?
i don't know how they do that....but that is the truth.

I guess it is because they have alot of drug dealers.

north_malaysian
08-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Do you like their dosa?
do you mean "thosai" (thin pancake made from rice) .... LUUUUUURVE IT! The crispier the better.... and those chutneys............ I love idli too

north_malaysian
08-10-2007, 07:37 AM
He said it is horible there, the authority will shoot the civilians without thinking twice if they assume you're drug addict or terrorist.
and the "militants" will shoot anybody who teach or go to schools ... Muslims or not...

Military is everywhere, and the muslims are scared to death. It is surprising when you see in media saying the muslims rebel....
they're triad members, gangsters, drug dealers etc. But thanks to American war on terror.... they use "Islam" to obtain independent from Thailand... at first they kill Buddhists... and now Muslims too... including religious scholars...

cause the muslims there are so nice and humble, and don't even talk in a harsh words. They are so friendly and i think they are so much nicer compared to the Malaysian :X
I think the Patani Malay immigrants are the most acceptable immigrant group in Malaysia.... they're so humble and friendly.

In my opinion, the muslim started rebel because of the previous event where the military shoot and hurt the civilians without any investigation. Hundreds muslim men and died, but did the authority care about them?
We have to blame politicians and military for Tak Bai incident...

in the 80s there were Muslim rebels... but in the 90s Pattani Malays have good relationship with the government, and there are no more rebellions... but after 9/11 suddenly southern thailand became chaotic..... because of this stupid gangsters.... and military are influenced by this war on terror ... caught Muslim scholars .. and then Tak Bai happened....

The Thais... both Buddhists and Muslims could only trust one person in Thailand - THE KING.

I'm sad of the conditions of 4,000,000 Muslims living in the south... but remember there are 2,000,000 Muslims living in the central and other areas in Thailand ... and they are successfull people and respectable by other religious group.... in fact thousands of people converted to Islam in Bangkok.

north_malaysian
08-10-2007, 07:45 AM
I guess it is because they have alot of drug dealers.
Do you realise that when the crisis in southern Thailand started there are lots of killings happened in Malaysia using guns? Where do you think the guns come from?

And also lots of drugs and prostitutes here.... from where they come from?

THAILAND!!!!

If those drug dealers, arm dealers want their business to be successful ... they have to find some group to be blamed for...

And there is a global war on Muslim terrorists declared by GW Bush.... so they made the military chaing the Islamists here and there.... and those military have no time to take care about those smugglers....

And bad Malaysian gangsters need guns, drugs and prostitutes.... by creating chaotic environment in southern thailand nobody would be looking into their smuggling business.

Amadeus85
08-10-2007, 09:06 AM
My uncle is from southern Thailand with Malaysian citizenship. Every year he will go there with his children to visit his relatives there.

He said it is horible there, the authority will shoot the civilians without thinking twice if they assume you're drug addict or terrorist. Military is everywhere, and the muslims are scared to death. It is surprising when you see in media saying the muslims rebel....cause the muslims there are so nice and humble, and don't even talk in a harsh words. They are so friendly and i think they are so much nicer compared to the Malaysian :X

In my opinion, the muslim started rebel because of the previous event where the military shoot and hurt the civilians without any investigation. Hundreds muslim men and died, but did the authority care about them? well...unfortunately not.

But the trucks there are cheap... sorry off topic.

Ok thanx for giving me a nice answer. I was interested in this. :D . Regards.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.