/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Polio

barney
08-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi.

Zimbawe has a national policy of banning Polio Vaccination because the vaccine is "a American poision used to sterilise Muslims".

Since the ban, tens of thousands of victims have appeared and it's spread to neighbouring countries.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cognescenti
08-09-2007, 10:30 PM
It is possible that Mugabe's brain is rotting from the inside, but I think it more likely this is for domestic consumption. When the economy is in the toilet, best to distract attention toward a good international conspiracy.

I think we should nominate him for the Nobel as he did not blame the Jews.

wilberhum
08-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Westophobia. :muddlehea

snakelegs
08-10-2007, 02:53 AM
in the tribal areas in pakistan, the innoculation program has halted after the killing of one of the health workers. the locals think it is a u.s. plot to sterilise muslim children.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
August
08-10-2007, 03:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Since the ban, tens of thousands of victims have appeared and it's spread to neighbouring countries.
As far as I'm concerned, they should be forced to use the vaccine, or quarantine their country. Polio is a horrible desease that should be erradicated by now. We can't let their leader's insanity cause innocent people to die.

snakelegs
08-10-2007, 04:14 AM
didn't mugabe also ban HIV drugs?

Pk_#2
08-10-2007, 04:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
:muddlehea *gulp*

ok i don't get the poll Barney.

:D Bye.

north_malaysian
08-10-2007, 04:55 AM
Why would American give a vaccine that would "sterilised" Muslims in a country called Zimbabwe where 99% of the population are non Muslims?:hiding:

I hate Mugabe with his Hitler moustache!!!:thumbs_do

Muezzin
08-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Heh, this is a funny poll.

Mugabe seemingly banned just about everything that didn't involve kicking innocent people's butts and lining his own coffers while they starve.

The sooner Zimbabwe rids herself of that loon the better. Provided another utter nutter doesn't take his place of course.

Ebtisweetsam
08-10-2007, 06:17 PM
LOL Sorry guys if this is serios, but oh that poll cracked me up!:laugh: Wallahi i cant stop laughing! If ur gonna do a serios poll, please re-phrase it!:D

Ebtisweetsam
08-10-2007, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Why would American give a vaccine that would "sterilised" Muslims in a country called Zimbabwe where 99% of the population are non Muslims?:hiding:

Ukh, my stomachs hurtin from laughter:laugh:

KAding
08-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Are you sure that you mean Zimbabwe? First of all, there aren't many Muslims there. Secondly, I can't find anything about this.

smile
08-10-2007, 06:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian

does he even have a moustache??? :D :hiding:

funny post

Cognescenti
08-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Barney;

You are so kicked out of the Masonic Inner Sanctum of Righteous Piosity for giving away the secret plot. I am going to report you to the Great Oz.

Trumble
08-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Hmm.. voted for the Mugabe is a nutcase option as that's true regardless, but Barney's opening comment isn't. As far as I can see Zimbabwe has expanded their vaccination program, although it seems to be UNICEF, the Japanese and the "evil British imperialists" who are actually paying for it.

There was a big hoo-haa about the polio vaccination being some ghastly Western plot in Nigeria a few years ago, but they have started using it again. Presumably the paranoia wore off. Pity that lots of kids will have contracted polio, which won't.

snakelegs
08-10-2007, 08:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Are you sure that you mean Zimbabwe? First of all, there aren't many Muslims there. Secondly, I can't find anything about this.
i wondered about this too!
actually, there are people in the u.s. who are paranoic about vacines and the paranoia is not totally unfounded as experiements have been done on people before, without their knowledge.
here is probably the most famous one:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0762136.html

Malaikah
08-11-2007, 02:58 AM
actually, there are people in the u.s. who are paranoic about vacines and the paranoia is not totally unfounded as experiements have been done on people before, without their knowledge.
That is absolutely disgusting! But people shouldn't judge vaccination by this- it is a one off case that happened in America only (and only in a small part of America) at a time when it was easier to do stupid things in experiments. These days vaccinations and experiments need to pass strict guide lines before they can be approved of, at a government level. There are many ethical guidelines in place.

Vaccination saves lives! End of story.

snakelegs
08-11-2007, 09:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
That is absolutely disgusting! But people shouldn't judge vaccination by this- it is a one off case that happened in America only (and only in a small part of America) at a time when it was easier to do stupid things in experiments. These days vaccinations and experiments need to pass strict guide lines before they can be approved of, at a government level. There are many ethical guidelines in place.

Vaccination saves lives! End of story.
it is not the only case where they have experimented on people without their knowledge, but the only one i can think of.
however - i agree with you - vacination saves lives. i remember all the kids with polio when i was a kid in the Long Ago Days.
i am just saying that the paranoia is understandable - i'm not advocating it!

barney
08-11-2007, 09:44 AM
It's a definate sign of westerphobia.

The interesting thing is comparing it to a vise-versa situation.
If Iran made vaccines, would Gordon Brown , or any western nation ban them for similar fears? My point being that State sponsered Westerphobia totally outguns State sponsered islamophobia.

snakelegs
08-11-2007, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
It's a definate sign of westerphobia.

The interesting thing is comparing it to a vise-versa situation.
If Iran made vaccines, would Gordon Brown , or any western nation ban them for similar fears? My point being that State sponsered Westerphobia totally outguns State sponsered islamophobia.
just a side note - muslims have no monopoly on westernphobia.
now as for myself, i rather like it here. :D
however as KAding as mentioned - are there even any or many muslims in zimbabwe?

Yanal
08-12-2007, 12:02 AM
:sl: :sl:
Here's a way to prevent it http://www.polio.com/?utm_source=yah...campaign=Polio
click it and learn...

Cognescenti
08-12-2007, 12:22 AM
The Tuskegee study is widely misunderstood. When it started, there was no effective therapy for the disease in question. Of course, the failure to disclose to the participants is absolutely impermissible from an ethical standpoint and I am sure there was no small amount of racism among the researchers.

It is quite a leap to impugn the polio vaccine effort because of a study which failed to meet current ethical standards but did not actively harm any of the participants. I realize, snakelegs, you are not making this link. There is indeed a lot of paranoia regarding vaccines, even in the US.

snakelegs
08-13-2007, 03:10 AM
barney,
do you have a source for your OP?

Woodrow
08-13-2007, 03:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
there are very few Muslims in Zimbabwe according to the national figures.

Zimbabwe Republic of Zimbabwe C and I 50; C 25; I 24
Source: http://www.religioustolerance.org/rel_coun2.htm

The country is considered to be Christian.

There is no state religion, but between 60 and 70 percent of an estimated population of 13 million belong to the mainstream Christian denominations, with between 2-3 million identifying themselves as Roman Catholic. However, there are no reliable statistics on the exact number of Christian churches or religious movements in the country. There is also a small Muslim population in the country, estimated at less than 1 percent. The evangelical denominations, mostly Pentecostal churches, are the fastest growing congregation in the country. They appeal to large numbers of disillusioned members from the established churches who reportedly are attracted by these church leaders' promises of miracles and messages of hope at a time of social and economic stress. The remainder of the population consists of Greek Orthodox, Jews, practitioners of traditional indigenous religions, indigenous syncretistic African religions that mix Christianity and traditional African culture and beliefs, a small number of Hindus, Buddhists, and atheists.
Source: http://atheism.about.com/library/irf...zimbabwe00.htm

KAding
08-13-2007, 09:09 AM
I don't know why Barney said this was Zimbabwe and Mugabe. He does not have such a policy as far as I can tell. I could only find this:

http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/interna...61378000&ty=ti
August 8, 2007 - 8:12 AM
Pakistani polio campaign targeted by wary tribesmen

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Pakistani authorities have suspended a campaign against polio in parts of a remote tribal region after villagers opposing the drive against the crippling disease threatened health workers, an official said on Wednesday.

Some Muslim clerics in the conservative tribal belt along the Afghan border have opposed anti-polio campaigns, saying it is a foreign-funded ploy to sterilise people. Pakistan is one of the few countries where the deadly disease still exists.

"We have stopped vaccination programme after tribesmen threatened our workers and broke their equipment in Sarkari Killa and Kotgi Charmang villages on Tuesday," Dr. Cherag Hussain told Reuters, referring to areas in the Bajaur tribal region.

Hussain said there were up to 4,000 children to be vaccinated in the two villages.

"They have threatened to kill health workers if they visit again," Hussain said of a national drive this year to immunise 32 million children of under 5-year of age.

The campaign in the Bajaur region of the North West Frontier Province (NWFP) was also suspended early this year after a doctor and a health worker were killed in a roadside blast.

Bajaur is considered a hotbed of support for Islamic militants.

The polio campaign coordinator, Dr. Javed Khan, said that about 175,000 vaccinators were taking part in the national drive against the disease that has been eliminated in developed nations but persists in parts of India, Nigeria, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Pakistan had 39 cases last year, but the number has come down to 11 this year. Khan said the genetic origin of four of the cases had been traced to the tribal region, including Bajaur.
So I assume this was a mistake and really about Pakistan?

barney
08-13-2007, 09:51 AM
:scared: Umm...

It's Nigeria.:scared:

I totally messed up the country. Sorry, posted it kinda late.

Not often i mess up so spectaclarly :D
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/324/7351/1414/a

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.