/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Taking Pictures?

AmarFaisal
08-12-2007, 10:54 AM
:sl:

I know it is haram in Islam to take pictures.right?

I don't care to take pictures of anything or anybody..but I can't resist when it comes to my baby.

I love to take her pictures and love to see her videos and to see them often. As she grows, I miss the times when she was young. I feel when she has grown up I can always see these pictures n remmember how she looked as a baby.

Is it haram to keep these pictures too.?
I think yes?
But if as a mother I want to keep the pictures n only for myself. Is it still haram? and why?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
wasup
08-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Allah has given us the best photographic memory tool there is..... and that's the brain!!!
I have kids and i can remember as far back as 10 years ago as to what they looked like and the fun i had with my kids.
Taking pictures is a def no-no.There are quite explicit hadith on the one who takes photos,such as Allah will not even look at him/her(one who takes/makes photos) on the day of judgement.

AmarFaisal
08-14-2007, 06:20 AM
Please provide me a link to these hadiths..I'd like to read in details.

Unfortunately, I am all into taking p ictures of my baby. Mayb reading hadiths in details will convince me to stay away from it.:(

snakelegs
08-14-2007, 08:33 AM
i realize that this is far from an authoritative source, but i've read here that it is ok to have pictures of your family, but you keep them in a drawer (not on display). also some think that videos - images on a screen - have a different legal status than photos. (permitted).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-14-2007, 05:00 PM
What if the child that grows up wants to see what he/she looked like when they were little?

jet
08-22-2007, 02:33 AM

get a digital camera, and keep the pictures on your computer or on a cd, dont print them. and you should be safe.

:w:

wasup
08-23-2007, 08:33 PM
sahih bukhari
The book of dress, chapter 18
The punishment for picture makers on the day of resurrection:

2005 Narrated ibn umar Allah's messenger pbuh said,
"Those who make these pictures will be punished on the day of resurrection, and it will be aid to them,"make alive what you have created".

wasup
08-23-2007, 08:34 PM
sorry it should be "said" not aid !

Yanal
08-24-2007, 12:29 AM
But i am a kid and i talk photos of my baby brother so when he grows up we can show it to him is that haraam and cna you take pictures of people or parents if they tell you too and how about talking photos of places ?

Na7lah
08-24-2007, 12:38 AM

we also take pictures but i try hard not 2 unless we really need them
i also heard that it was okay 2 take pics of places and nature
but Allahu A3lam

Ma'salamah :thankyou:

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-24-2007, 12:43 AM
:salamext:

Ruling concerning hanging and possessing pictures

Question: What is the ruling concerning hanging a picture on a wall? What is the ruling concerning owning pictures of people?

Response: It is not allowed to hang a picture or keep a picture of any being that possesses a soul. It is obligatory to destroy such pictures. This is because the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) told 'Alee:

"Do not leave any image, but [instead] efface it."

It is also confirmed in the hadeeth of Jaabir that:

"The Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) prohibited having pictures in houses."

Therefore, all pictures meant for remembrance should be torn to pieces or burned. However, pictures that are needed out of necessity, such as for official identification purposes and so forth, may be kept.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz
Fataawa al-Mar.ah

Having picture taken out of necessity

Question: A questioner mentions that he has not applied for citizenship because of his disliking having his picture taken, since he has heard pictures are haraam. Now he is in dire need of applying for citizenship and (therefore) asks if it is permissible for him to have his picture taken so as to apply for citizenship as he is in dire need of it?

Response: The basic rule regarding taking pictures, carrying them and preserving them is that it is haraam. This is because the Peophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) cursed the one who made pictures. However if a person is forced to apply for citizenship (as a result of his) daily activities so that he can travel from one area to another, or he has been offered a job and now it rests upon him having his picture taken, it is permissible for him to have his picture taken out of necessity only.

And with Allaah lies all success and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

The Permanent Committee for Islaamic Research and Fataawa, comprising -
Head: Shaykh 'Abdul 'Azeez Ibn Abdullaah Ibn Baaz;
Deputy Head: Shaykh 'Abdur-Razzaaq 'Afeefee;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Ghudayyaan;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Qu'ood
Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa., - Volume 1, Page 718, Fatwa No.1377

Na7lah
08-24-2007, 12:46 AM

thanks sis that helps alot :thankyou:

Ma'salamah

Re.TiReD
08-24-2007, 03:12 PM

Hadith - Bukhari 3:428, Narrated Said bin Abu Al-Hasan

While I was with Ibn 'Abbas a man came and said, "O father of 'Abbas! My sustenance is from my manual profession and I make these pictures." Ibn 'Abbas said, "I will tell you only what I heard from Allah's Apostle . I heard him saying, 'Whoever makes a picture will be punished by Allah till he puts life in it, and he will never be able to put life in it.' " Hearing this, that man heaved a sigh and his face turned pale. Ibn 'Abbas said to him, "What a pity! If you insist on making pictures I advise you to make pictures of trees and any other unanimated objects."

Hadith -Bukhari 4:47, Narrated 'Aisha

I stuffed for the Prophet a pillow decorated with pictures (of animals) which looked like a Namruqa (i.e. a small cushion). He came and stood among the people with excitement apparent on his face. I said, "O Allah's Apostle! What is wrong?" He said, "What is this pillow?" I said, "I have prepared this pillow for you, so that you may recline on it." He said, "Don't you know that angels do not enter a house wherein there are pictures; and whoever makes a picture will be punished on the Day of Resurrection and will be asked to give life to (what he has created)?"

------
08-24-2007, 04:55 PM

What about digital pictures? U don't print them out? What if they are just on the computer? Is that still wrong?

Umu 'Isa
08-24-2007, 11:12 PM

Question:
What is the ruling on recording by video cameras and digital cameras in schools, in order to document the activity and submit it to the administration, as per their request?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible to take pictures of student activities with the video camera and digital camera mentioned, for the purpose of documenting the activity so that the administrators may study it, so long as these images are not produced in any fixed format such as on paper.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

With regard to pictures made in the modern fashion, they fall into two categories:

The first category is those which have no tangible substance (and can only be seen by running them through a machine), as I was told is the case with pictures on video tapes. There is no ruling at all concerning these, and they do not come under the prohibition at all. Hence the scholars who forbid making pictures with cameras on paper (photographs) permitted this (video pictures), and said that there is nothing wrong with this. Then it was asked, is it permissible to film lectures which are given in the mosques? The (scholarly) view was that it is better not to do that, because it may disturb the worshippers and because they may film things that may not be appropriate, and so on.

The second category is fixed or still pictures on paper (photographs) …

But the matter needs further discussion if one wants to make these kind of permissible pictures. For they are subject to five rulings which depend on the intention. If the intention is something forbidden, then it is haraam. If he intends something waajib (obligatory), then it is waajib. Sometimes pictures may be essential, especially moving pictures. For example, if we see someone in the act of committing a crime against a person’s rights, such as an attempt to kill and so on, and we cannot prove it in any way but by taking pictures, then in this case taking pictures becomes waajib, especially in cases where pictures may decide the case. The means are subject to the rulings on the ends. If we make these pictures in order to prove the identity of a person for fear that someone else may be accused of the crime, this is also acceptable, indeed it is essential.

But if we take these pictures just to enjoy looking at them, this is undoubtedly haraam... And Allaah knows best.” (See Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 2/197-199)

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: What is the ruling on videotaping celebrations, conferences and seminars?

He replied: If there is the hope that people may benefit from the videotaping of the party, seminar or Islamic meeting in which there is the call to Allaah, and it is believed that this is most likely to serve a good purpose and that this videotaping will be good and will benefit the people, then there is nothing wrong with that in sha Allaah. End quote from Fataawa Islamiyyah (4/367).

May Allaah help us all to do that which He loves and which pleases Him.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

noorahmad
08-25-2007, 07:05 AM
Assalam walaikum
But what when it comes to a woman taking photos for her passport when nowadays with the terrorism law, the woman must remove her hijaab??

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-25-2007, 08:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noorahmaf
Assalam walaikum
But what when it comes to a woman taking photos for her passport when nowadays with the terrorism law, the woman must remove her hijaab??
:wasalamex

I don't know which country has that law akhee, but that is a completely different situation to that which is being discussed. This is talking about the general impermissibility of taking photos of creatures with souls, not women removing their hijaabs for any purpose.

------
08-25-2007, 10:38 AM

So keepin pics on the comp is allowed yeh?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-09-2007, 04:43 PM
But if we take these pictures just to enjoy looking at them, this is undoubtedly haraam... And Allaah knows best.” (See Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 2/197-199)
That sums it up for me lol.

JazakAllah Khair for clearing it up...now i just gotta lose the habit....:X

------
09-10-2007, 11:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

So keepin pics on the comp is allowed yeh?
Anyone???

MinAhlilHadeeth
09-10-2007, 12:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4
Anyone???
Sis I think this post sums it up:

http://www.islamicboard.com/816663-post16.html

AmarFaisal
09-10-2007, 01:13 PM
If I throw away all the pics of my daughter, and her movies, it would be like loosing a part of myself. I think this is the reason it isn ot allowed in Islam. Anything, object, or action that takes u away from Allah and His worship is forbidden.

IbnAbdulHakim
09-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: What is the ruling on videotaping celebrations, conferences and seminars?

He replied: If there is the hope that people may benefit from the videotaping of the party, seminar or Islamic meeting in which there is the call to Allaah, and it is believed that this is most likely to serve a good purpose and that this videotaping will be good and will benefit the people, then there is nothing wrong with that in sha Allaah. End quote from Fataawa Islamiyyah (4/367).
i was wondering if a pure islamic wedding (which sticks strictly to shariah) can help increase peoples emaan if videotaped? and also just what would be videotaped? lol

im pretty sure ibn baaz rahimahullah would prefer no videotaping most right?

Anwarica
09-10-2007, 02:50 PM
I didn't study adequate Fiqh, but there's something should be noted .. Drawing is Not photographing .. because in photographing is all about image "reflection" stored using a camera. I know it's controversial, can anyone provide the other opinions by different Imams?

Al-Zaara
09-16-2007, 07:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AmarFaisal
If I throw away all the pics of my daughter, and her movies, it would be like loosing a part of myself. I think this is the reason it isn ot allowed in Islam. Anything, object, or action that takes u away from Allah and His worship is forbidden.
Selam aleykum.

Then you mean you should also throw away your daugther, because she is a live object distracting you from dhikr? Your family will always be a part of you, how can you say they would lead you to shirk?? :confused: I'm not wanting to sound rude, or anything astagfirullah, so please forgive me if I do so.

I myself understand both views about this issue, very well.

I know it's controversial, can anyone provide the other opinions by different Imams?
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503545144

AmarFaisal
09-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Selam aleykum.

Then you mean you should also throw away your daugther, because she is a live object distracting you from dhikr? Your family will always be a part of you, how can you say they would lead you to shirk?? I'm not wanting to sound rude, or anything astagfirullah, so please forgive me if I do so.
Dear sister, i"be honest, it does sound rude esp. this

Then you mean you should also throw away your daugther,
but as u have asked to be forgiven...:)...if u were in my place, u'd know how these words can hurt:)

Peace, n i forgive u.

Al-Zaara
09-16-2007, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AmarFaisal
Dear sister, i"be honest, it does sound rude esp. this

but as u have asked to be forgiven...:)...if u were in my place, u'd know how these words can hurt:)

Peace, n i forgive u.
Selam aleykum,

I am very sorry sister dear, but I couldn't understand your words, to be honest too. If my mother would tell me my photos of me would distract her from dhikr and she better throw them away, I'd be very hurt and felt in an unfair position. :-\

A Muslim would never get any person may it be daugther or son, sister or father etc, to see that person in such a level , if you understand what I mean... :-\

But I see I have hurted you but inshaAllah you can come back to me and just explain your position, because I am confused and know you wouldn't mean anything bad, know I do not either mean anything bad...
Again I am very sorry. JazakAllah khair for forgiving me, inshaAllah I'll be forgiven by Allah too because I see I have caused you pain.. But I didn't inted to hurt you, just to understand the words of a mother, do remember that dearest sister.

Selam aleykum

MinAhlilHadeeth
09-17-2007, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
im pretty sure ibn baaz rahimahullah would prefer no videotaping most right?
There is a reference to where he said that, so you can look it up if you have any doubt.

AmarFaisal
09-20-2007, 01:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Selam aleykum,

I am very sorry sister dear, but I couldn't understand your words, to be honest too. If my mother would tell me my photos of me would distract her from dhikr and she better throw them away, I'd be very hurt and felt in an unfair position. :-\

A Muslim would never get any person may it be daugther or son, sister or father etc, to see that person in such a level , if you understand what I mean... :-\

But I see I have hurted you but inshaAllah you can come back to me and just explain your position, because I am confused and know you wouldn't mean anything bad, know I do not either mean anything bad...
Again I am very sorry. JazakAllah khair for forgiving me, inshaAllah I'll be forgiven by Allah too because I see I have caused you pain.. But I didn't inted to hurt you, just to understand the words of a mother, do remember that dearest sister.

Selam aleykum
:sl: sister,
now I see why u said it, becoz u were thinking of urself being in the daughter's place:uhwhat

As for me, I said that becoz I need to convince myself why keeping my daughters pictures just for fun or to be my companion when she isn't around or to rmmember her, are haram in Islam.

Miss Palestine
10-15-2007, 12:50 AM
ohhh emmm geeeee!!! I take picturesz like theresz no tomorroww!! nd i kinda consider a hobby... i take pictures of myselff my family friendsz placesz like the park nd palestine...wooww =( not fair

Nabooly
10-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Wow, i had no idea that this was haraam. We have dozens of pictures hanging on our walls throughout our home, most of them being on the fireplace. Most of them are pictures of aunts' and uncles' weddings, and some are of us when we were younger.

And i just ran an order through walmart to print our most recent digital pics.... :(

Sub7anallah

Salaam :)

wilberhum
10-17-2007, 06:54 PM
If pictures are haraam, how can Muslim matrimonial sights show pictures?

chacha_jalebi
10-17-2007, 07:17 PM
one interestin point bout pics:D

the hadith uses the word tasweer, which comes frm d word tasawwur - meanin to imagine or make up, so makin up lik drawins is not allowed

but photos... are just stating the facts i.e - if i take a pic of a tree, its fact it already there i just captured the fact:D

chacha_jalebi
10-17-2007, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
If pictures are haraam, how can Muslim matrimonial sights show pictures?
matrimonial sites show alot of stuff :p

they on a next level

wilberhum
10-17-2007, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
matrimonial sites show alot of stuff :p

they on a next level
What do you mean by "they on a next level"?

snakelegs
10-18-2007, 09:31 PM
i find "intent" confusing in islam. sometimes it seems to be taken in to account and sometimes not.
in the case of people photographing their childen or other relatives, there is certainly no intent to commit shirk, or even any temptation.
if something is clearly forbidden specifically, then i guess intent would be irrelevant. but otherwise?
there seems to be a range of opinion re: taking pictures, so i assume there are different opinions as to what is covered in the prohibiton.

Nabooly
10-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Allahu a3lam. Maybe someone knowledgeable can come and enlighten us on the fact :)

Salam. :)

*charisma*
10-19-2007, 01:25 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

I think the best answer is the one this brother gave in a post:

format_quote Originally Posted by believer

with regards to posters, images, objects that represent a human being or any living thing... I believe we need to keep ourselves not surrounded by these things... If you reflect about it... subliminal programming uses these mediums in order to put something like an idea inside our minds.

In this case, if we reflect on it... an image of Malcolm X will place an indellible image of this person in our phantasms... or our subconsciouss mind.

The downside of having this in our brain cells is that we are displacing time and space for the remembrance of Allah... since we can only focus our minds to one subject at a time.

What we need to have is a vacant space to filled up with Allahs' Remembrance, the Qur'an and the ways of the prophet in focus in our daily lives... Any other images or concepts that will share this space will definitely take some time and space and will definitely be causes of distractions during our daily lifes routine.

It is merely a reflection on the subject. since it is frequently mentioned by Allah SWT in the Qur'an... that the Clear book is for those Who think, those who Appreciate... and those who Reflect....
With that being well said, do what you what you think is best in the deen, and what will most please Allah subhana wa ta'ala.

Since almost everything can be digitally stored and created, you can access any pictures through the internet, on a computer, mobile, or any other digital device.

For example, the news can be read on the internet; Old pictures can be scanned onto a computer and saved that way instead and then thrown away; etc.

Do not make the deen difficult upon yourselves. There are some things we may think are very harmless in the deen but they corrupt us or others very minimally or very slowly, in which case you will very much regret even an eighth of an atom of corruption, because it will show up on the day of judgement.

fi aman allah
w'salaam

za81
10-20-2007, 02:29 PM
RE: WASSUP
Aslam o alaikum
i think the hadis (Those who make these pictures will be punished on the day of resurrection, and it will be aid to them,"make alive what you have created".) is for the painting not for the photography, bcz in photography we dont create anything. we just take a reflect of the creation of Allah Subhanhuwatala.

Alhumdullilah i vistied harmain sharefain in this ramadhan of 1428 hijri. and i saw the dvd of taraveeh of 27th night in the market soon after the fajjar prayer. and all this done by the permission of the faqeeh and mufties and aima karam of kaaba n madina.
so i think if somebody want to take a picture but he is confused then i think he can make a movie.
walla hu alam.

khairullah
10-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Information on taking picture in Islam:

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?QR=10668&ln=eng
http://muttaqun.com/pictures.html

MinAhlilHadeeth
11-01-2007, 05:11 PM

I think we've gone on about this subject long enough. There was a lot of evidence given from reputable scholars. And as we know, it's best to stay away from doubtful matters.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.