/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Asian weddings pass £30,000 mark

S_87
08-12-2007, 04:25 PM
:sl:

The average amount of money being spent by Asian families on weddings in the UK has increased to more than £30,000.
Research carried out by Asian bridal magazine Viya found wedding budgets had increased dramatically over the past five years.

The rise has been linked to the glamour of Bollywood, British celebrity culture and increased spending power.

Latest figures for the cost of the average white Western wedding range from £17,000 to £20,000.

Asian weddings are big business in Britain, with the market worth £300m a year and rising.

Bollywood influence

More and more companies which specifically cater for these events are springing up all over the country.

Wedding dress designer Mani Kohli said the amount of money spent on dresses had risen sharply.

She said: "Girls used to spend £1,000 - £1,500 up to two to three years ago. Last year saw them escalating to £2,000 - £2,500.

"This year, I have seen a lot of difference. I have seen girls not even blinking when I say this is £3,000 - £4,000 or more."

The trend has been put down to the influence of Bollywood, British celebrity culture and the media - which all give brides something to aspire to and make them aware of what is available for their big day, says the BBC's communities reporter Niki Cardwell.

Another factor is spending power.

Most of today's brides and grooms are third generation British Asians and their parents, by now well-established and successful, are keen to show off their wealth at these weddings which are hugely important in their communities, our reporter says.

Fari Hussein was the last of five daughters in her family to get married - and said her family had been saving for years.

She told the BBC: ""It was like a dream wedding, it was massive, it lasted for over six weeks and I've actually been preparing for my wedding since December."

He father, Fazar, said: "We didn't have very lavish holidays, you know. We never smoke, never drink. We just live within our own means... and save the money."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6942684.stm

now that is alot

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ummAbdillah
08-12-2007, 04:26 PM
:salamext:
more money = less khayr me thinks :hmm:

unknown_JJ
08-12-2007, 04:29 PM
loool 6 weekz weddin lool das jus lame lool

Re.TiReD
08-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Ima have the bare nessecities Insha'Allah :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd al-Baari
08-12-2007, 04:37 PM

£30 000??? thats like a years wage innit?
Spending that much on a weddng is just daft :D

NobleMuslimUK
08-12-2007, 04:41 PM
for some thats like 2 years and a bits wage... its sad that we neglect our poverty stricken brothers and sisters around the world, and spend all this money for show for a few days...

unknown_JJ
08-12-2007, 04:54 PM
4 som even der lifetym wages wont get der!

dawah_786
08-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Yes unfortunately that is the reality of the uk, asian families compete amongst each other by spending excessive money on weddings hence they think its incresing their izzat amongst their relative, these weddings may include hiring djs, dance floor, waiters to serve the food, flashy motors, too much gold etc. I worked in a call centre where people requested for loans, when asian requested a loan it was mainly for the basis of either by a flashy car or a grand wedding, what a shame that asian take on debt just to look good infront of society, three quarters of the time they follow the indian custom such as mahnia, mehndi, some even have stag do's, these weddings just goes to show that the day has come where people will do salaam to paisa as in the uk not much people want to know you if your a lower class family, i supose they do all this just to fit in and look good. What happened to the traditional religious way of doing a islamic wedding? Knowledge has started to fade

Re.TiReD
08-12-2007, 05:10 PM
shud just get marrid on an island sumwhere,,,then no1 will wna cum coz wont be able to afford the ticket (or they'll be to kanjoos to fork out for it) then it'll be a nice cheap wedding :D with no1 there...the less the merrier eh? ;D

chaste
08-12-2007, 07:01 PM
it is kinda ridiculous. but ppl are competing and just want to show ppl. ppl have forgotton the way of our rasullallah.

Salaam
08-12-2007, 10:31 PM
From what if seen and heard most of these high cost wedding couples end up divorcing, there is no blessing in these weddings…

highway_trekker
08-12-2007, 11:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chaste
it is kinda ridiculous. but ppl are competing and just want to show ppl. ppl have forgotton the way of our rasullallah.
true

bint_khalid
08-13-2007, 10:26 AM
completely unneccessarry me think, no need to spend all that.

------
01-18-2008, 01:25 PM

*BUMP!

I blame bollywood :-\ No honestly, the dresses they show off and stuff, obviously girls would want them.... Oh and I also blame the rising price of gold :D

She told the BBC: ""It was like a dream wedding, it was massive, it lasted for over six weeks and I've actually been preparing for my wedding since December."
What did u do for 6 weeks woman?! Have a party at ur house everyday or sumfing?!! :muddlehea

Cabdullahi
02-05-2008, 11:36 AM
There's no need to spend excessivley,just the bride and groom back of the garden with couple of relatives perhaps a barbecue halal ofcourse TAHIRA BURGERS, thats all keep it simple but:shade: sweet

Ummu Sufyaan
02-05-2008, 11:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

*BUMP!

I blame bollywood :-\ No honestly, the dresses they show off and stuff, obviously girls would want them.... Oh and I also blame the rising price of gold :D

What did u do for 6 weeks woman?! Have a party at ur house everyday or sumfing?!! :muddlehea
lol 6 weeks! man, i think i wouldve got bored:D

AvarAllahNoor
02-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah, great, dolled up for a day at the cost of 30 smakaroons! - 10/15K is fine, the rest shoul dhave been put to better use. Like deposit for a house, buy a car. Silly idiots. Not worth it, unless you're rolling in the stuff!

AvarAllahNoor
02-05-2008, 11:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
lol 6 weeks! man, i think i wouldve got bored:D
These days it's common for people to be married AND divorced within six weeks of marriage...Hope she's not one of them, or it would have been waste....

Heera Singh
02-05-2008, 12:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Yeah, great, dolled up for a day at the cost of 30 smakaroons! - 10/15K is fine, the rest shoul dhave been put to better use. Like deposit for a house, buy a car. Silly idiots. Not worth it, unless you're rolling in the stuff!
even that's too expensive... personally.. mine gonna be short and sweet... have the anand karaj (marriage ceremony) at Gurdwara bright and early in the mornin.. n tha's it... :D

the only thing i'll have to pay for is my chola (robe/cloak) ;)

AvarAllahNoor
02-05-2008, 12:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Heera Singh
Even that's too expensive... personally.. mine gonna be short and sweet... have the anand karaj (marriage ceremony) at Gurdwara bright and early in the mornin.. n tha's it... :D

the only thing i'll have to pay for is my chola (robe/cloak) ;)
Well that's the ideal Sikh wedding! - But you know people have to keep up with the Jones sadly.

------
02-05-2008, 12:20 PM

These days it's common for people to be married AND divorced within six weeks of marriage...Hope she's not one of them, or it would have been waste....
This just made me LOL!

Heera Singh
02-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Well that's the ideal Sikh wedding! - But you know people have to keep up with the Jones sadly.
yeh.. people are more concerned with pleasin eachother then pleasing their Lord.. my mom knows not to say netin to me bout my weddin cuz she knows i want everytin done as per Gurmat... shoot, i aint even invitin half my family.. hahaha...

AvarAllahNoor
02-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Yeh.. people are more concerned with pleasin eachother then pleasing their Lord.. my mom knows not to say netin to me bout my weddin cuz she knows i want everytin done as per Gurmat... shoot, i aint even invitin half my family.. hahaha...
My family were like eh? No party puttar? 'Lokh Ki Khain Ge' (what will the people say) I was like 'Khain Jo Kehna, Mere Vaal Kardi Main Swaad Deonga' (let them say what they want, direct them towards me, I'll give them a taste)

Haha they know better than to say anything!
:D

Heera Singh
02-05-2008, 12:33 PM
yea mon .. trus mi... like i said, people more worried bout pleasin others then pleasin God...

ah well.. wha can u do.. people too caught up in duality..

people think that marriage is 'their' day.. they dun realize i's more of a spiritual journey then netin.. bringin together the souls of husband and wife.. and startin a spiritual journey as 'one' so to speak..

AvarAllahNoor
02-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Yup. I must say I've seen an increase of Gurmat weddings & (Akand Paths for b/days rather than booze fuelled parties) in the last few years. Maybe some are finally falling in line eh.

Heera Singh
02-05-2008, 12:40 PM
perhaps.. there's always 2 sides to the coin..

i kno of "amritdharee's" who've had meat/alcohol at their wedding receptions..

ah well.. to each their own.. i's a messed up world we live in.. haha..

AvarAllahNoor
02-05-2008, 12:46 PM
perhaps.. there's always 2 sides to the coin..

i kno of "amritdharee's" who've had meat/alcohol at their wedding receptions..

Ah well.. to each their own.. i's a messed up world we live in.. haha..

Yeah but that's to satisfy the carnivores and alchis. They'll be the first ones to moan for not having a party. Though, they should be told where to get off. I'd never bend Sikhi rules just to satisfy a few manmat people. Waheguru is more important to me.

Jo Hukam Akal Ka :smile:

Heera Singh
02-05-2008, 12:48 PM

Yeah but that's to satisfy the carnivores and alchis. They'll be the first ones to moan for not having a party. Though, they should be told where to get off. I'd never bend Sikhi rules just to satisfy a few manmat people. Waheguru is more important to me.

Jo Hukam Akal Ka :smile:
rite.. they dun realize that the consequences of their decisions will bear fully on their shoulders. to stray away from Gurmat to please others is not very smart at all..

ah well... 'jo beejai so khae'... as u sow, so shall u reap!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.