/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Saudi Arabia makes first music video

Skywalker
08-13-2007, 03:11 PM
:sl:

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070813/ap_en_mu/saudi_pop

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The Arab world's hugely popular music video industry often features sexy performers in revealing clothes crooning about love.

But the first clip to be fully produced in Saudi Arabia has a message of a different kind: You can be cool and devout.

The video is unusual because it was made in a country where the religious establishment considers music un-Islamic and bans it in public places. And the main cast includes a Saudi woman, something rare in a work produced inside the kingdom.

But in a sign of Saudi impatience with the restrictions, "Malak Ghair Allah" or "You Only Have God to Count On" was a hit when it was launched at a popular mall in the western seaport of Jiddah last week. Hundreds of people showed up to watch it on a giant screen in the mall's main hall.

"People didn't stop clapping. Some had tears in their eyes," Kaswara al-Khatib, the video's director, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

The video is expected to air on most of the Middle East's more than 30 music satellite TV channels this week. Despite fears among the Saudi clergy over the corrupting influence of music videos, the clip had implicit government approval. The credits thank "those who helped make this work a success," including the Information Ministry.

"You Only Have God to Count On" uses upbeat music to tell the story of a successful man who had strayed from the path of true Islam. He smokes, flirts with women even though he's engaged and doesn't join his colleagues at work in performing the five daily Muslim prayers.

Things slowly start to go bad: He has a flat tire and problems at work and his fiancee leaves him when she sees him talking to another woman. He then has a serious accident while recklessly driving his motorcycle. After he recovers, the man starts to pray, stops smoking, wins back his fiancee and excels at work.

Significantly, the man sports a hip goatee and doesn't grow the big, bushy beard favored by fundamentalist Muslims. He still wears T-shirts and jeans and sticks to his old friends, including a man who favors the much-frowned-upon ponytails.

"I wanted the youths to understand that it's not the looks that count. It's what inside that matters," al-Khatib said.

"The video also has this message: Don't give up and think, 'I sinned, therefore I'm going to hell,'" the director added. "Think that there's a God and he is always there to help you."

While there's no lack of production crews, dancers and singers in Lebanon, Egypt and other Arab countries that produce music videos, things are different in Saudi Arabia. The kingdom follows the strictest school of Islam that bans the mixing of the sexes and all forms of entertainment, including music in restaurants, concerts and movie theaters.

Al-Khatib, 37, who heads an advertising agency, has previously produced music videos, but this is the first that is an all-Saudi work. It was filmed along Jiddah's boardwalk on the Red Sea, a popular hangout for youths.

The lyrics of the song, performed by Muhammed al-Haddad, say in part: "If things go bad ... if your dreams have been lost ... you only have God to count on."

Al-Khatib said that for the lead female part, he had to get permission from the parents of Ruwaina al-Jihani before he could cast her in the role of the fiancee.

"They consulted with the extended family before giving their consent," said al-Khatib.

Al-Jihani appeared covered in the traditional black cloak and headcover, with only her face showing. One shot showed her all in white at her engagement.

Al-Khatib said that while music is controversial in Saudi Arabia, he has heard fatwas (religious edicts) from non-Saudi clerics who say music for a good cause should not be illegal.

Plus, al-Khatib said he wanted to give Saudi youths an alternative to music videos produced abroad but popular on satellite TV.

"The problem is not the music. It's how you utilize it," said the director.

"We wanted to talk to them in their own language," he added. "Instead of saying, 'Don't listen to music,' we're saying, 'Listen to music that's good for you.'"

I would've liked to read about the reactions of the government and the scholars about this matter. I'll post my comment isa when a few people share their persepective.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Skywalker
08-18-2007, 02:10 AM
Ok, this just got approved...what do you guys think??

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-18-2007, 02:52 AM

Hmm I dunno. Its good it wasn't dirty or nothing but the fact that music technically isnt acceptable. Allahu Alam...lets wait for others to reply InshaAllah.

Malaikah
08-18-2007, 09:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
Significantly, the man sports a hip goatee and doesn't grow the big, bushy beard favored by fundamentalist Muslims.

The kingdom follows the strictest school of Islam that bans the mixing of the sexes and all forms of entertainment, including music in restaurants, concerts and movie theaters.

The fundamentalist thing and the 'strictest' school thing are a load of rubbish- all Islamic schools of law say music and shaving the beard are haram. (not 100% sure about the beard thing but I am about the music thing). The only difference is that the Saudis are following the madhab, whereas the others choose to ignore it. :rollseyes

It is really great initiative, I reckon, if it weren't for the music.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
August
08-19-2007, 04:27 AM
What could possibly be wrong with music?

Malaikah
08-19-2007, 04:36 AM
Music is forbidden according to the vast majority if Islamic scholars. It is idle, a waste of time and the instrument of the devil. But this is off topic.

Pk_#2
08-19-2007, 04:38 AM
Eveeeeeeerything!!! LOL

i'm surprised theres actually something behind that vid..erm....k...

7ai_3la_Alsalah
08-19-2007, 05:31 AM
Alsalamu Alikum Wa Wb

Saudi Arabia are not our source of knowledge, so not all what they do represents Islam, i think that Saudis taking their first steps to be more westernize due to the great effect of Americans over their actions.

Wassalam

S_87
08-19-2007, 10:35 PM

aside from the music i think the video is quite nice

S_87
08-19-2007, 10:39 PM

^^ type malak ghair Allah in youtube :?

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-19-2007, 10:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

aside from the music i think the video is quite nice
:wasalamex

The woman was also wearing makeup, so it didn't really encourage lowering of the gaze. But I think the the music factor makes it bad enough on its own.

S_87
08-19-2007, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Muwahhidah
:wasalamex

The woman was also wearing makeup, so it didn't really encourage lowering of the gaze. But I think the the music factor makes it bad enough on its own.

yes i guess. i think its more what this video is up against. being put up with a load of music videos

often featuring sexy performers in revealing clothes crooning about love.

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-19-2007, 10:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnRuwahah
:X I think I started to like it...It was nice, I wonder if they have a non music version to it. It was quite nice...the video itself. :hmm: ARGH!! make me hate it :mmokay:...I'll get back to my other nasheeds. *sulk*

It actually reminds me of someone...Hmm...lol
It's haram, therefore Allah Ta'ala Hates it. Therefore we should also hate it.

Mawaddah
08-19-2007, 11:21 PM

I think this is just the first step towards a whole bunch of less 'Islamic' vids. After a while because of the 'pressure' they'll start inserting a lot of other stuff all for the sake of making it more marketable with the youth, despite their good intentions.

I mean no matter how good your intention, if you dont go about it the right way it wont work.

Yes, it's true that this is a million times better than the regular Arabic music video, some of which are quite shocking and even rival Western music videos, but it's still one step in the wrong direction.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-19-2007, 11:46 PM
^^Yea das tru.

7ai_3la_Alsalah
08-20-2007, 02:52 AM
Alsalau Alikum

Well said Sister Mawaddah, its the first steps of a long way away from Allah, since Evil not coming to whisper you doing Kaba'r directly, but he start it gradualy and step by step, a glance, a smile, a greeting, a chat, a date, a meeting then a ....... , its always the most powerful way of Shytan.

Wassalam

Skywalker
08-20-2007, 07:00 AM
Ok, I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here just for the sake of argument. The opinions I express here are not necessarily my own, but just a little variety.

Since there are scholars that say that music is halal (Qaradawy, others), I think it's safe to discuss the topic openly without restraint. In that case, is it so bad to take a culture that is slowly deteriorating towards Western ideals and come to them with the message that "you can be cool and devout"? I mean everybody these days wants to be "cool", right? So why not show them that being a good Muslim is "cool"? Actually, it's the "coolest" thing you can be. If you have to put a little 21st methodology into presenting that message, you'll only be making them more attracted to the message. Those who say that music is haraam will not be attracted to it, but then they're already devout so they don't need the message in the first place. So all you'll be doing is increasing the number of people that are interested in religion.

On the other side of the spectrum though, there's a line from Star Wars that sticks out: "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny...consume you it will." Is this also not applicable in this situation. You're giving them something that they consider haraam and say that it's halal AND you're using it to spread religion. When you make one thing that is considered haraam and you make it seem like it's halal, on a national level, you're opening the door for further questioning and alteration...and more and more things that are considered haraam will be considered halal.

It would be good for this forum if someone could post the rulings on music from several sources. It would make it even better of we could have varying opinions...just to make the discussion more interesting.

Malaikah
08-20-2007, 07:17 AM

Skywalker, that would be true if it weren't that the opinion that music is permissible is tiny. Hardly any scholars follow that opinion. The four schools of law all say that music is haram.

People can't go about following this fatwa that music is halal just because it is easy for them. If you look hard enough you can find an odd fatwa here and there making almost anything permissible! Interest, mixing with the opposite gender, not wearing hijab etc. You name it, there was probably a scholar who had a strange opinion (meaning that is different greatly from the most prevalent opinion, especially is there is consensus on the issue) making it halal.

If people go around picking the fatwas that are easiest, they are going to have very little left of Islam and will become fasiqs. :(

north_malaysian
08-20-2007, 07:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Yes, it's true that this is a million times better than the regular Arabic music video, some of which are quite shocking and even rival Western music videos, but it's still one step in the wrong direction.
many Malaysian Muslims are complaining about ART (Arab Radio Television) channel which airs in Malaysia because the women wear too revealing clothes while singing lyrics that contain the word "Allah".

Ebtisweetsam
08-20-2007, 11:53 AM
I wanted the youths to understand that it's not the looks that count. It's what inside that matters," al-Khatib said.

Actually looks do count, or the Prophet PBUH wouldnt have taught us to be aware of these things!

The_Prince
08-21-2007, 03:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ebtisweetsam
I wanted the youths to understand that it's not the looks that count. It's what inside that matters," al-Khatib said.

Actually looks do count, or the Prophet PBUH wouldnt have taught us to be aware of these things!
the prophet when talking about how we should look, look good etc was not meant to be taken in a way of making yourself look sexy or attractive for other people.

he meant these things in a hygenic way, to look good and clean and tidy, cut your nails, take a shower, smell good, you dont want to end up with 5 feet of nails and hair reaching ur legs while smelling like a pig now do you?

Ebtisweetsam
08-22-2007, 11:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
the prophet when talking about how we should look, look good etc was not meant to be taken in a way of making yourself look sexy or attractive for other people.

he meant these things in a hygenic way, to look good and clean and tidy, cut your nails, take a shower, smell good, you dont want to end up with 5 feet of nails and hair reaching ur legs while smelling like a pig now do you?
That was my point, but i wouldnt have actually used those words......
nails and hair reaching ur legs while smelling like a pig now do you?[/

^..sTr!vEr..^
08-22-2007, 11:40 AM
So, another of those shocking and saddening news! imsad
So no one is going to protest on that....???

7ai_3la_Alsalah
08-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Alsalamu Alikum Wa Wb

The more you fill your Heart with Quran, the more you won't have space for music.

Wassalam
Wassalam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.