/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Start with your self!

InToTheRain
08-14-2007, 04:26 PM
:sl:

This was taken from a brother in another Forum and it truely made me reflect.

[PIE]
As Salaam Alaykum. This thread is intended mostly as reminder for myself I hope Inshallah that others will also derive benefit, and contribute with their thoughts on self reformation.

A man was on his death bed, Someone asked him to give some wise counsel before he departed, the world he Said.

" When I was young I wanted to change the world and solve its problems, As I got older I realized that perhaps I should lower my sights, I thought I would be better served in changing my country as time went on I realized that people of country could not be changed. I decided to change the people of my town , but they also did not wish to change, When I reached my old age I thought I would try changing my Family, here also I found my endeavors go to waste, try as I might my family members would not change.

" Now that I am on my death bed, I have realized that if I had sought to improve myself, and removed my own defects, then perhaps my family members would have been influenced. Then seeing the behavior of my family people of my town would have been influenced. By seeing the spiritual change and improvement of the people of my town, the people of my country would have been influenced. And perhaps through the people of my country the world may have been influenced."
* Source Unknown.

Is it not the case that we spend very little time reflecting on ourselves, but seek out the faults and defects of others. I joined this forum last week, to help improve my knowledge, instead what I have found myself doing is getting engaged, in fruitless debates be it sectarian issues, political issues or otherwise. I wish to change the world but I find it near impossible, to change myself.

MaY Allah give us all the Tawfiq to improve our own behavior and conduct and a sinner like me in particular, ameen.[/PIE]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
chand
08-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Ameen..

unknown_JJ
08-14-2007, 05:14 PM
ameen :)

*babk*
08-14-2007, 07:43 PM
ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
jzcasejz
08-14-2007, 08:00 PM
As-Salaamu'alaykum

Aameen and JazaakAllaah Khayr for that. I remember a Brother once telling me that same story on MSN.

snakelegs
08-14-2007, 08:13 PM
I wish to change the world but I find it near impossible, to change myself.
good reminder, thanks.

Pk_#2
08-14-2007, 09:56 PM
AsalamuALaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

MaY Allah give us all the Tawfiq to improve our own behavior and conduct and a sinner like me in particular, ameen.
Ameen

JazakAllah khair for sharing!

syilla
08-15-2007, 04:18 AM
:laugh: :laugh:

Is he talking about me....

MashaAllah jazakallah khayr for sharing.

i know i need alot of improvement. I think too much about this dunya and other people that i loose focus. I should focus myself and everything should be about me trying to a better person. I should not linger on problems that give me headaches.

This world is nothing...it is just a temporary place. So why i bothered so much. So why this world is making me so sad.

I'm so small...compared to everything. I've nothing and earn nothing.

imsad.

abu abdurrahman
08-15-2007, 10:10 AM
:cry: Wow!

So many reminders, so little attention paid to them

SirDemonic
08-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Ameen.....

1st time I red this story
Really good, yeah i always think about changing the world ;D
but that changed my thoughts now

InToTheRain
08-15-2007, 11:32 AM

Another from the same brother.

[PIE]A Trader of a fabric Store, who was affectionately called Sufi Sahib. One day had a man come to his store. He started crying and said: "Sufi Sahib I have heard that you are a generous man, I feel ashamed to present myself before you but I have nowhere else to turn, I am a poor man I cannot find employment. At home I have small children who have not eaten for many days, please help me."

Sufi Sahib was extremely touched by the mans plight, he quickly went to his cabinet and took out a thousand rupees and handed the money to the man he said: " This is all the money I have on me right now so please take it and purchase some provisions for your children." The man thanked Sufi sahib profusely and left.

Suddenly everyday a new person would appear at Sufi Sahibs store, each with their sad story and asking for assistance, each time Sufi sahib would hand over some money. Finally one day Sufi Sahib mentioned to his friend the Tailor about this strange phenomena. The Tailor said; " My dear Sufi Sahib, you are indeed a fool these people are Professional beggars they have targetted many
other shopkeepers, I myself have been a victim of their fraud". Sufi sahib was shocked; "But they all sounded so genuine", he said. " Oh they always do, they are indeed very cunning;" replied the Tailor.

So the following morning an elderly man appeared at Sufi Sahibs store he said.
" My son I am a poor old man, who has no means of support, I have not eaten for several days please assist me, and indeed Allah will reward you for it."

Sufi sahib was extremely angry he said; " You beggars must really think I am some kind of fool everyday you come here telling me stories of poverty." saying that Sufi sahib grabbed the old man and threw him out of his shop. The old man sadly went on his way.

About an hour later Sufi sahib heard a commotion in the Bazaar and went to see what it was. He saw a Doctor crouched over that same old man, suddenly the Doctor turned to the crowd and announced; " poor chap has died of starvation looks like he has not had anything to eat for some weeks."

Sufi Sahib was overcome with grief and guilt, ten days in a row he had handed
over money too beggars. The first genuine person who had come asking for assistance at his store he had treated harshly, and now he was dead. " It is all my fault;" Sufi Sahib lamented; "If only I had not made a wrong assumption he would still be alive ."

Story by Julaybib.

Something to reflect:

Is this not the case with us we use our past experiences to make assumptions of others. For example in our daily lives we may be approached by people asking questions about Islam. cuz we have had a bad experience with others who were merely mocking Islam, we assume that this person is also the same, we may react harshly, driving that person away from Islam and being left with a bad opinion of all muslims.

How many young brothers have come of the streets, gone to the Masjid but only to be left disappointed by the behavior of others. Many of these brothers leave the Masjid never to return again.

May Allah guide us all and give us the tawfiq to act justly towards others ameen.
[/PIE]

Ourra-Tul-'Ain
08-15-2007, 01:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirDemonic
Ameen.....

1st time I red this story
Really good, yeah i always think about changing the world ;D
but that changed my thoughts now
same here. I will always have advice in hand for someone. and when I see someone sinning it hurts like its me sinning, so I fear for their here-after and give them sincere advice. but like the brother said I’m one who wishes to better other people but finds it near enough impossible to change my self:cry:

oh, you know when you here them lectures about hypocrisy, I feel really awkward:X :phew . as if its directed to me! I really try not to be a hypocrite, its just that I guess its easer to give advise than to implement it to your self. sounds wrong right:omg: . But Wallahi I do try:-[ .

- IqRa -
06-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Wow...both of these stories are amazing. JazakAllah Khayr for posting brother Z.AL-Rashid.

Eric H
06-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Greetings and peace be with you T.I.A

Thanks for bumping this old post, and to see a post from our old friend snakelegs, who sadly passed away about his time last year, may she rest in peace, Amen.

Two wonderful stories, we would all like to change other people and change the world, but it is probably much harder to change ourselves.

In the spirit of praying for guidance and wisdom.

Eric

Ummu Sufyaan
07-01-2009, 04:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z.AL-Rashid

This was taken from a brother in another Forum and it truely made me reflect.

[PIE]
As Salaam Alaykum. This thread is intended mostly as reminder for myself I hope Inshallah that others will also derive benefit, and contribute with their thoughts on self reformation.

A man was on his death bed, Someone asked him to give some wise counsel before he departed, the world he Said.

" When I was young I wanted to change the world and solve its problems, As I got older I realized that perhaps I should lower my sights, I thought I would be better served in changing my country as time went on I realized that people of country could not be changed. I decided to change the people of my town , but they also did not wish to change, When I reached my old age I thought I would try changing my Family, here also I found my endeavors go to waste, try as I might my family members would not change.

" Now that I am on my death bed, I have realized that if I had sought to improve myself, and removed my own defects, then perhaps my family members would have been influenced. Then seeing the behavior of my family people of my town would have been influenced. By seeing the spiritual change and improvement of the people of my town, the people of my country would have been influenced. And perhaps through the people of my country the world may have been influenced."
* Source Unknown.

Is it not the case that we spend very little time reflecting on ourselves, but seek out the faults and defects of others. I joined this forum last week, to help improve my knowledge, instead what I have found myself doing is getting engaged, in fruitless debates be it sectarian issues, political issues or otherwise. I wish to change the world but I find it near impossible, to change myself.

MaY Allah give us all the Tawfiq to improve our own behavior and conduct and a sinner like me in particular, ameen.[/PIE]

reminds me of the verse of poetry

لم يصلح الناس وأنت فاسد
the people will not become righteous whilst you are corrupt

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.