/* */

PDA

View Full Version : News On The Iraq War

MTAFFI
08-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Former insurgents face al-Qaida wrath By LAUREN FRAYER, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 49 minutes ago

BAGHDAD - Wearing a bandanna that hides his face, Omam Abed leads U.S. soldiers on raids in the west Baghdad streets where he grew up — kicking down doors and interrogating neighbors in search of fighters for al-Qaida in Iraq.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 20-year-old is part of a ragtag collection of former Sunni insurgents — some even from the al-Qaida ranks — who have thrown their support behind U.S.-led security forces under pacts of mutual convenience.

The Sunni militiamen have grown leery of al-Qaida in Iraq and its ambitions, including self-proclaimed aims of establishing an Islamic state. The Pentagon, in turn, has latched onto its most successful strategy in months: partnering with former extremists who have the local know-how to help root out al-Qaida in Iraq.

But for Abed and others, this new war also brings grave dangers.

In Abed's Amariyah neighborhood — an affluent district that was home to privileged insiders under Saddam Hussein — the U.S.-allied band of about 150 former Sunni militants is now the No. 1 target for al-Qaida hitmen.

Last month, two of Abed's best friends, both 18-year-old members who also decided to aid U.S. forces, were dragged out of their high school during final exams and beheaded. Their bodies were flung up into a tree with the severed heads displayed on the sidewalk below, according to Abed and U.S. military officers stationed in the area.

There was no claim of responsibility, but the scene didn't need one. All knew it was a ghastly warning to residents who choose to challenge al-Qaida in Iraq, which takes inspiration from Osama bin Laden but whose direct links to his terror network is unclear.

"They weren't wearing masks on missions, so al-Qaida recognized who they were. They were my friends — we were always the three of us, like brothers," Abed told The Associated Press in an interview this week, choking back tears.

He would not give his real name out of fear for his safety, and would not comment on his past insurgent activity. His codename — Omam Abed — means "courageous slave" in Arabic.

Since the murders, Abed wears a mask or scarf to conceal his identity when he accompanies U.S. and Iraqi soldiers on raids. These are the same palm-shaded streets with wide green lawns where he played as a boy. His father was a prominent businessman who owned a textile factory here before fleeing to Syria in 2003. Almost everyone knows Abed and his family.

"I want to stay and help my neighborhood, and the future of my country, but sometimes I'm scared I'll also be targeted," he said.

The Amariyah beheadings — and waves of other attacks — suggest a mounting al-Qaida campaign of reprisals against fellow Sunnis who challenge group's footholds in Iraq.

On Saturday, militants bombed the northern Baghdad home of a moderate and highly regarded Sunni cleric, Sheik Wathiq al-Obeidi, who had recently spoken against al-Qaida. He was seriously wounded and three relatives were killed.

The same day, police said a local tribal leader in Albu Khalifa, a village west of Baghdad, was killed by gunmen who stormed his home. Sheik Fawaq Sadda' al-Khalifawi had recently joined an anti-al-Qaida alliance in Iraq's western Anbar province.

The U.S. military credits these relationships with weakening al-Qaida in its former strongholds in Baghdad, Anbar and Diyala province north of the capital. In Diyala, about 16,000 U.S. and Iraqi troops began a military push this week against Sunni insurgents who have fled a crackdown in the provincial capital of Baqouba, the military said Tuesday.

In Abed's Amariyah neighborhood, attacks on U.S. and Iraqi soldiers and civilians dropped from 40 in the last week of May to just six incidents in the first week of August, according to U.S. military figures.

But in most cases, the U.S. military is unable to offer protection to its unexpected allies.

Abed wears a beige bulletproof vest with "Allah Akbar" — `God is great,' in Arabic — written in permanent marker across the front. He bought it on the black market with his own money. He does not earn a salary for working with U.S. forces, and the military does not provide him with weapons, equipment or safe haven.

Several times each week, mortars fall on the headquarters of Abed's group — known by various names including the Freedom Fighters and Amariyah Volunteers. The group's leader, a 40-year-old who uses the nom-de-guerre Abu Abed, said his fighters foiled two attacks in which suicide bombers disguised as women tried to infiltrate security around his base.

"(Al-Qaida) is trying to get me or my family. I'm constantly changing locations — not staying in one place longer than a few hours — and moving my children," said Abu Abed, who also refused to comment on his own insurgent past.

American military officials acknowledge that Abed's group is in danger because of its cooperation with U.S. forces. But — as former insurgents — the fighters are not eligible for services provided to civilians or legitimate Iraqi security forces.

"It's just not something we can do," said Lt. Col. Dale Kuehl, commander of the 1st Cavalry Division's 1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment.

At least two members of the group were former allies of al-Qaida, said Kuehl, 41, from Huntsville, Ala. Others, he said, were part of the Islamic Army in Iraq, the 1920s Revolution Brigades and Tawhid and Jihad — all Sunni insurgent groups responsible for past attacks on U.S. troops in Iraq.

The U.S. military offers humanitarian aid, but the fighters are denied access to U.S. bases and military hospitals. American medics, however, have treated them on the battlefield.

Kuehl is awaiting approval from his commanders for a 90-day security contract under which the fighters would be paid to man checkpoints and conduct regular patrols through Amariyah. The salaries would be commensurate with the Iraqi police, about $300 a month.

Until the contract wins U.S. approval, the fighters remain unpaid volunteers.

Capt. Dustin Mitchell, with the 1st Infantry Division's 2nd Brigade Reconnaissance Troop, said it sometimes creates awkward moments for his soldiers.

"We try to help them out within the guidelines if our commanders approve it," said the Louisville, Ky., native. "If not, we're the guys who look them in the eye and have to say, `I'm sorry.'"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070814/...raq_abed_s_war

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The_Prince
08-14-2007, 11:24 PM
lol i wonder how ppl like daniel pipes and robert spencer and their cronies would react to this, american troops working with "jihadists" as these guys call them lol.

Joe98
08-15-2007, 12:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
The Sunni militiamen have grown leery of al-Qaida …….including self-proclaimed aims of establishing an Islamic state.

….two of Abed's best friends, both 18-year-old members who also decided to aid U.S. forces, were dragged out of their high school during final exams and beheaded.

Their bodies were flung up into a tree with the severed heads displayed on the sidewalk below……

al-Qaida have show what type of Islam state they want.

What do Muslims say about this?
-

KAding
08-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Yesterday was a bloody day in Iraq :(. Four suicide truck bombings at the same time!

Deadly Iraq sect attacks kill 200
At least 200 people have been killed in a series of bombings apparently aimed at a Kurdish religious minority group in northern Iraq, officials say.

Some 200 more were reported injured as at least four blasts hit areas home to the Yazidi sect near the city of Mosul.

The deadly attack was one of the most lethal insurgent strikes in more than four years of war in Iraq.

The US called the bombings "barbaric", while a Kurdish official said Baghdad had failed to protect the Yazidi.

In a statement, the White House insisted US forces and the Iraqi government would continue to "beat back" the "vicious and heartless murderers".

Because of the inaction of the government in Baghdad and their inability to protect the population they are suffering the way they are now
Khaled Salih
Kurdistan Regional Government
The BBC's Richard Galpin, in Baghdad, says that with the Americans concentrating on their military effort in the capital, officials fear the insurgents are moving into new areas where they can attack so-called soft targets.

A spokesman for the Kurdistan regional government, a semi-autonomous authority which governs three northern Iraqi provinces, described the Yazidi as a "threatened minority" and said Kurdish forces might have protected them from harm.

"We would certainly be able to improve security if we were allowed to operate in that area," Khaled Salih told the BBC.

"But because of the inaction of the government in Baghdad and their inability to protect the population they are suffering the way they are now," he added.

Digging for bodies

Tuesday's co-ordinated bombings in the villages of Qataniya and Adnaniya involved a fuel tanker and three cars, officials said.

"My friend and I were thrown high in the air. I still don't know what happened to him," Khadir Shamu, a 30-year-old Yazidi, told the Associated Press news agency.

KEY FACTS: THE YAZIDIS
Religious sect found in northern Iraq, Syria and the Caucasus
Majority of estimated 100,000 followers live in Iraqi Kurdistan
Doctrine is an amalgam of pagan, Sabean, Shamanistic, Manichean, Zoroastrian, Jewish, Christian and Islamic elements
Yazidis believe in a Supreme God, but do not believe in evil, sin, hell or the devil
Violation of divine laws can be expiated by metempsychosis, or the transferring of a soul from one body to another
Principal divine figure, Malak Taus (Peacock Angel), is the supreme angel of the seven angels who ruled the universe after it was created by God
The mayor of Sinjal, a nearby town, said he expected the final death toll to rise.

"We are still digging with our hands and shovels because we can't use cranes because many of the houses were built of clay," Dhakil Qassim told AP.

"We are expecting to reach the final death toll tomorrow or [the] day after tomorrow as we are getting only pieces of bodies.

Tensions between the Yazidi sect and local Muslims have grown since a Yazidi girl was reportedly stoned by her community in April for converting to Islam.

The sect is due to vote later alongside other Kurds outside the Kurdish autonomous region in a referendum on joining the grouping.

Correspondents say the planned referendum makes northern Iraq's Kurds a target for politically-motivated attacks.

Yazidis worship an archangel, sometimes represented by a peacock figure believed by some Christians and Muslims to be the devil.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...st/6946028.stm

Published: 2007/08/15 08:12:42 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MTAFFI
08-15-2007, 01:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Yesterday was a bloody day in Iraq :(. Four suicide truck bombings at the same time!
may God help these people

ISLAMASWEENEY
08-15-2007, 02:42 PM
The Coalition Should Leave Iraq Then Horrible Incidents Like This Will Not Happen.

MTAFFI
08-15-2007, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ISLAMASWEENEY
The Coalition Should Leave Iraq Then Horrible Incidents Like This Will Not Happen.
we will see..... lets hope so

:confused:

ISLAMASWEENEY
08-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Yes Lets Hope Sp I Think Britain Might Soon Leave Basra Is Virtually Under Iraqi Control We Should Have A Air Force Base.

Idris
08-15-2007, 03:12 PM
lol i wonder how ppl like daniel pipes and robert spencer and their cronies would react to this, american troops working with "jihadists" as these guys call them lol.
It's not the 1st time the US has done this.

ISLAMASWEENEY
08-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Yes They Worked With The Northern Alliance In Afghanistan Against The Taliban.

The_Prince
08-15-2007, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
al-Qaida have show what type of Islam state they want.

What do Muslims say about this?
-
lol your question is an oxy-moron! or a very stupid one! the 2 men AQI killed were working AGAINST AQI so the news report itself answers the Q for u! sheesh do you guys act willfully blind to try and make all Muslims look bad or what?

This does it make it painstakingly obvious that no matter what a Muslim does against extreme elements that westeners will never care this is the best example, here u have certain Muslim Iraqis who are FIGHTING against AQI and are getting killed, yet u still get a westerner asking erm so what do u Muslims have to say about AQI and their ways?! :raging: its starting to really get annoying now

MTAFFI
08-15-2007, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
lol your question is an oxy-moron! or a very stupid one! the 2 men AQI killed were working AGAINST AQI so the news report itself answers the Q for u! sheesh do you guys act willfully blind to try and make all Muslims look bad or what?

This does it make it painstakingly obvious that no matter what a Muslim does against extreme elements that westeners will never care this is the best example, here u have certain Muslim Iraqis who are FIGHTING against AQI and are getting killed, yet u still get a westerner asking erm so what do u Muslims have to say about AQI and their ways?! :raging: its starting to really get annoying now
so then by your logic the US are the good guys since they are teaming up with the Muslims fighting the AQI? I guess the US does have reason to stay there then right? sheesh I mean make up your mind! :uhwhat

KAding
08-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Well, when the US leaves practically no one will be reporting about it at least. I suppose that in itself can help deescalate Muslim-Western tensions.

Cognescenti
08-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Yes Lets Hope Sp I Think Britain Might Soon Leave Basra Is Virtually Under Iraqi Control We Should Have A Air Force Base.
COOL! Then all you need is an air force!

Cognescenti
08-15-2007, 05:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. It took 4 years to get to this point. They don't object to AQI blowing up the Shia or knocking the dome off a mosque or two. They finally got tired of AQI cramping their style in their own neighborhoods. This is NIMBY syndrome (Not In My Back Yard).

wilberhum
08-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Iraqis battle 'al-Qaeda forces'
Iraqi citizens and police have clashed with alleged al-Qaeda fighters in the town of Baquba, resulting in 14 deaths, according to police.

The battle began early on Wednesday after mortar rounds fell on Buhriz, a suburb of Baquba, about 60km northeast of Baghdad, an unnamed police officer said.
Residents and police battled the fighters, suspected of having links to al-Qaeda, for three hours, the officer said.
(More)
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...695831B963.htm

Haidar_Abbas
08-15-2007, 07:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHRd4EwF4MI

consider this my reply :thumbs_up

wilberhum
08-15-2007, 07:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haidar_Abbas

Did you send your reply to al Jazeera? :-[

NobleMuslimUK
08-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Going to war with Islam will be the destruction of the evil American empire. It seems americans dont care that the whole world hates them, America has become the monster it claims to fight, now isnt that ironic.

wilberhum
08-15-2007, 07:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
Going to war with Islam will be the destruction of the evil American empire. It seems americans dont care that the whole world hates them, America has become the monster it claims to fight, now isnt that ironic.

Maybe that's why America is not at war aginst Islam. :confused:
Pure Westophobia.
:grumbling

Cognescenti
08-15-2007, 07:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haidar_Abbas

That has to be the best fed group of soldiers I have ever seen.

Cool choreography too. That singer sang the whole time with his finger on the trigger of his weapon. I wonder how many of the camera crew are still alive. I recognized two in the video that have assumed room temperature.

metalted
08-16-2007, 09:03 AM

it appears not many people like muslims these days either.. theres quite alot of us non muslims and so patient are we. And everyday slowly your bretherens atrocities is convincing the world that america is Much better then the warriors of islam.. hell its even happening in Iraq :)

NobleMuslimUK
08-16-2007, 10:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metalted
it appears not many people like muslims these days either.. theres quite alot of us non muslims and so patient are we. And everyday slowly your bretherens atrocities is convincing the world that america is Much better then the warriors of islam.. hell its even happening in Iraq :)
You fail to realise the massacres and the decades old genocide against muslims by non muslims. Us muslims dont enjoy wars or violence, we despise it as its against our religion. Muslims are being attacked on their homelands, you expect them to sit back and take it.
You need to read history very carefully especially the history and current situations of your country. You will see the pattern of continuous wars by the non muslim nations attacking muslim lands or meddling in some evil way or the other. :cry:

metalted
08-16-2007, 11:04 PM
You fail to realise the massacres and the decades old genocide against muslims by non muslims. Us muslims dont enjoy wars or violence, we despise it as its against our religion. Muslims are being attacked on their homelands, you expect them to sit back and take it.
You need to read history very carefully especially the history and current situations of your country. You will see the pattern of continuous wars by the non muslim nations attacking muslim lands or meddling in some evil way or the other. :cry:
LOS ANGELES, March 10 — Three weeks ago, Dr. Wafa Sultan was a largely unknown Syrian-American psychiatrist living outside Los Angeles, nursing a deep anger and despair about her fellow Muslims.

J. Emilio Flores for The New York Times
“I have no choice. I am questioning every single teaching of our holy book.”
- DR. WAFA SULTAN
Video: Dr. Wafa Sultan on Al Jazeera (memritv.org)
Today, thanks to an unusually blunt and provocative interview on Al Jazeera television on Feb. 21, she is an international sensation, hailed as a fresh voice of reason by some, and by others as a heretic and infidel who deserves to die.

In the interview, which has been viewed on the Internet more than a million times and has reached the e-mail of hundreds of thousands around the world, Dr. Sultan bitterly criticized the Muslim clerics, holy warriors and political leaders who she believes have distorted the teachings of Muhammad and the Koran for 14 centuries.

She said the world's Muslims, whom she compares unfavorably with the Jews, have descended into a vortex of self-pity and violence.

Dr. Sultan said the world was not witnessing a clash of religions or cultures, but a battle between modernity and barbarism, a battle that the forces of violent, reactionary Islam are destined to lose.

In response, clerics throughout the Muslim world have condemned her, and her telephone answering machine has filled with dark threats. But Islamic reformers have praised her for saying out loud, in Arabic and on the most widely seen television network in the Arab world, what few Muslims dare to say even in private.

"I believe our people are hostages to our own beliefs and teachings," she said in an interview this week in her home in a Los Angeles suburb.

Dr. Sultan, who is 47, wears a prim sweater and skirt, with fleece-lined slippers and heavy stockings. Her eyes and hair are jet black and her modest manner belies her intense words: "Knowledge has released me from this backward thinking. Somebody has to help free the Muslim people from these wrong beliefs."

Perhaps her most provocative words on Al Jazeera were those comparing how the Jews and Muslims have reacted to adversity. Speaking of the Holocaust, she said, "The Jews have come from the tragedy and forced the world to respect them, with their knowledge, not with their terror; with their work, not with their crying and yelling."

She went on, "We have not seen a single Jew blow himself up in a German restaurant. We have not seen a single Jew destroy a church. We have not seen a single Jew protest by killing people."

She concluded, "Only the Muslims defend their beliefs by burning down churches, killing people and destroying embassies. This path will not yield any results. The Muslims must ask themselves what they can do for humankind, before they demand that humankind respect them."

Her views caught the ear of the American Jewish Congress, which has invited her to speak in May at a conference in Israel. "We have been discussing with her the importance of her message and trying to devise the right venue for her to address Jewish leaders," said Neil B. Goldstein, executive director of the organization.

She is probably more welcome in Tel Aviv than she would be in Damascus. Shortly after the broadcast, clerics in Syria denounced her as an infidel. One said she had done Islam more damage than the Danish cartoons mocking the Prophet Muhammad, a wire service reported.

DR. SULTAN is "working on a book that — if it is published — it's going to turn the Islamic world upside down."

"I have reached the point that doesn't allow any U-turn. I have no choice. I am questioning every single teaching of our holy book."

The working title is, "The Escaped Prisoner: When God Is a Monster."

Dr. Sultan grew up in a large traditional Muslim family in Banias, Syria, a small city on the Mediterranean about a two-hour drive north of Beirut. Her father was a grain trader and a devout Muslim, and she followed the faith's strictures into adulthood.

But, she said, her life changed in 1979 when she was a medical student at the University of Aleppo, in northern Syria. At that time, the radical Muslim Brotherhood was using terrorism to try to undermine the government of President Hafez al-Assad. Gunmen of the Muslim Brotherhood burst into a classroom at the university and killed her professor as she watched, she said.

"They shot hundreds of bullets into him, shouting, 'God is great!' " she said. "At that point, I lost my trust in their god and began to question all our teachings. It was the turning point of my life, and it has led me to this present point. I had to leave. I had to look for another god."

metalted
08-16-2007, 11:10 PM
She and her husband, who now goes by the Americanized name of David, laid plans to leave for the United States. Their visas finally came in 1989, and the Sultans and their two children (they have since had a third) settled in with friends in Cerritos, Calif., a prosperous bedroom community on the edge of Los Angeles County.

Video: Dr. Wafa Sultan on Al Jazeera (memritv.org)
After a succession of jobs and struggles with language, Dr. Sultan has completed her American medical licensing, with the exception of a hospital residency program, which she hopes to do within a year. David operates an automotive-smog-check station. They bought a home in the Los Angeles area and put their children through local public schools. All are now American citizens.

BUT even as she settled into a comfortable middle-class American life, Dr. Sultan's anger burned within. She took to writing, first for herself, then for an Islamic reform Web site called Annaqed (The Critic), run by a Syrian expatriate in Phoenix.

An angry essay on that site by Dr. Sultan about the Muslim Brotherhood caught the attention of Al Jazeera, which invited her to debate an Algerian cleric on the air last July.

In the debate, she questioned the religious teachings that prompt young people to commit suicide in the name of God. "Why does a young Muslim man, in the prime of life, with a full life ahead, go and blow himself up?" she asked. "In our countries, religion is the sole source of education and is the only spring from which that terrorist drank until his thirst was quenched."

Her remarks set off debates around the globe and her name began appearing in Arabic newspapers and Web sites. But her fame grew exponentially when she appeared on Al Jazeera again on Feb. 21, an appearance that was translated and widely distributed by the Middle East Media Research Institute, known as Memri.

Memri said the clip of her February appearance had been viewed more than a million times.

"The clash we are witnessing around the world is not a clash of religions or a clash of civilizations," Dr. Sultan said. "It is a clash between two opposites, between two eras. It is a clash between a mentality that belongs to the Middle Ages and another mentality that belongs to the 21st century. It is a clash between civilization and backwardness, between the civilized and the primitive, between barbarity and rationality."

She said she no longer practiced Islam. "I am a secular human being," she said.

The other guest on the program, identified as an Egyptian professor of religious studies, Dr. Ibrahim al-Khouli, asked, "Are you a heretic?" He then said there was no point in rebuking or debating her, because she had blasphemed against Islam, the Prophet Muhammad and the Koran.

Dr. Sultan said she took those words as a formal fatwa, a religious condemnation. Since then, she said, she has received numerous death threats on her answering machine and by e-mail.

One message said: "Oh, you are still alive? Wait and see." She received an e-mail message the other day, in Arabic, that said, "If someone were to kill you, it would be me."

Dr. Sultan said her mother, who still lives in Syria, is afraid to contact her directly, speaking only through a sister who lives in Qatar. She said she worried more about the safety of family members here and in Syria than she did for her own.

"I have no fear," she said. "I believe in my message. It is like a million-mile journey, and I believe I have walked the first and hardest 10 miles.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/11/in...&ex=1187409600
why do you think that by killing us and raping our people we will have more sympathy to you instead of more and more anger and more and more fear from you? We will only turn towards the american government more for help, thats all peoples and countries will continually look for support from america while this nonsense is going on...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.