/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslims Donate for Hungry Americans

guyabano
08-15-2007, 04:14 PM
By Abderrazak Mrabet

RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Muslim American Society (MAS) has launched a nationwide campaign to encourage Muslims to donate food and money to help feed fellow hungry Americans, regardless of their faith. "It’s our way of showing the community that we care about everyone and that Allah loves everyone, Muslims and non-Muslims," Allyson Swelam, the head of the outreach committee in MAS Raleigh chapter, told IslamOnline.net.

Muslims are encouraged to donate canned food, nonperishable items as well as money to provide fresh meat.

Donation boxes were made available at local mosques and Islamic schools.

"All donations are going directly to low income people who live under the poverty line," said Allyson.

She asserted that the response of the Muslim community was good, especially that this is the first time to conduct such a campaign.

"I think this is a good start and we already met our target as far as the cost of the meat that we pre-ordered."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Wow, thats awesome =). Thanks for sharing that.

The_Prince
08-15-2007, 04:56 PM
make sure to check the food perhaps the muslims are posining it and this might be an al-qaeda plot!

Muezzin
08-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Good news.

format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
make sure to check the food perhaps the muslims are posining it and this might be an al-qaeda plot!
I don't think they need to worry about food poisoning - they didn't sample any of my cooking. :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cognescenti
08-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Cool! They should open a soup kitchen and call it the Kuffar Cafe.

Someone could do Quranic recitations during lentils and cornbread.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Edit

Amadeus85
08-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Is this some kind os prozelytyzing work?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-15-2007, 05:38 PM
^^Does it have to be? Can't we help out another human being? gg...

wilberhum
08-15-2007, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Is this some kind os prozelytyzing work?
No, only Christians do that. :skeleton:

This is great, but one thing puzzles me.
When I help, I never have asked what religion the people being helped was.
In fact when I pray that someone receives help, I don’t check there religion first either.
Maybe it is because I simply see them as people.
But that just me.

Amadeus85
08-15-2007, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
No, only Christians do that. :skeleton:
;D A good one. But seriously, i want to say a story from my country. A twon girls were born few years ago in Poland. And they were unfortunetely born stuck together. The family was poor and they didnt have money for operation, so the king of Saudi Arabia payd for that and they had this operation in SA. The operation succeded and the girls were seperated.

guyabano
08-15-2007, 06:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
Couldn't resist to say something silly, right?

Pk_#2
08-15-2007, 06:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Cool! They should open a soup kitchen and call it the Kuffar Cafe.

Someone could do Quranic recitations during lentils and cornbread.
;D Now you're giving away valuable ideas! :rollseyes

Nice thread @ guyobanio! :D

IbnAbdulHakim
08-15-2007, 07:23 PM
this is good

Joe98
08-15-2007, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano

....encourage Muslims to donate food and money to help feed fellow hungry Americans, regardless of their faith.

Makes them sound like the Salvation Army.

-

The_Prince
08-15-2007, 10:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
Couldn't resist to say something silly, right?
i just said what u were thinking :D

snakelegs
08-15-2007, 11:46 PM
i believe that it is vital that muslims try to end their isolation and raise their public profile in the community at large.
good step. :thumbs_up

north_malaysian
08-16-2007, 04:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i believe that it is vital that muslims try to end their isolation and raise their public profile in the community at large.
:inshallah:clever:

beespreeteam
08-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Awesome, this is the kind of stuff Muslims should be doing :)

thirdwatch512
08-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Baruch HaShem!!
(Praise G-d!)

The Christians in Egypt are generally more rich then the muslims, and have been well known to give a lot to charity. Yet many muslims have not been giving to non muslim charities. It is great to see that is changing, and that muslims are beginning to help the non muslims too!

Malaikah
08-16-2007, 10:31 AM
:sl:

A very thoughtful initiative!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-16-2007, 05:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
;D A good one. But seriously, i want to say a story from my country. A twon girls were born few years ago in Poland. And they were unfortunetely born stuck together. The family was poor and they didnt have money for operation, so the king of Saudi Arabia payd for that and they had this operation in SA. The operation succeded and the girls were seperated.
Well waddaya know. I never knew that lol. Interestinggg.

tomtomsmom
08-17-2007, 03:47 PM
I did a bit of research. It was the youth group that did the food drive. I remembered hearing about it from a friends daughters. Their school helped with the drive. Here is a link to the youth group with a message from them about it!
http://masyouthraleigh.org/

جوري
08-19-2007, 01:19 AM
Actually, it is obligatory for Muslims to give of their income to charity... in fact I posted several hadiths about it... thing is you should give so that your right hand doesn't know what your left hand has parted with; not seeking approval of the public.. it isn't about what people think.. frankly to hell with people, I guarantee 100 yrs from now, none of us will be here-- in order for charity to count, it has to come from the heart not on MSNBC... I believe only hypocrites like to advertise... oh look I am a hollywood star and I am adopting and giving to the poor Africans... tell me why is there a man walking around with 72 billion, while a little girl looks like this?

if the phony were as generous as they claim to be, I wouldn't be seeing imageries like this day in and day out!

peace!

Yanal
08-19-2007, 01:34 AM
:sunny: Let's see the americains abuse us now they always disgrace islam but now we have a fact that the people who were fed by the muslims are wtinesses that muslims are not bad and terriorsts at least not all;D :D :sunny:

snakelegs
08-19-2007, 01:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Actually, it is obligatory for Muslims to give of their income to charity... in fact I posted several hadiths about it... thing is you should give so that your right hand doesn't know what your left hand has parted with; not seeking approval of the public.. it isn't about what people think.. frankly to hell with people, I guarantee 100 yrs from now, none of us will be here-- in order for charity to count, it has to come from the heart not on MSNBC... I believe only hypocrites like to advertise... oh look I am a hollywood star and I am adopting and giving to the poor Africans... tell me why is there a man walking around with 72 billion, while a little girl looks like this?
if the phony were as generous as they claim to be, I wouldn't be seeing imageries like this day in and day out!

peace!
you have a point. (and i know that charity is mandatory in islam.)
however, to me this has not so much to do with charity, but with muslims getting involved in/with the larger community. so i see charity as the vehicle here for something else.
in other words, raising the public profile in positive directions to offset the crap the media tells them.
is it true that it doesn't matter what people think? i believe that muslims can't afford this luxury. people get killed by "what people think". i think it would be good if muslims join all kinds of civic projects. when people have worked together and gotten to know the other people, they are no longer as "other" as they were before. once a person has had the opportunity to get to know muslims, it should be less easy for them to demonize an entire group by the actions of the few.
a lot of non-muslims have never really known a muslim and can't see the human being under the hijaab, for example!
i think it would be excellent if musims could get involved in civic projects with the community at large.
i realize that this would be pretty difficult for many - the natural tendency would be to just avoid interacting as much as possible, and that would probably be my reaction also, in all honesty.
but here i am one more non-muslim trying to tell muslims what they should do. :hiding:

جوري
08-19-2007, 02:03 AM
you have a point. (and i know that charity is mandatory in islam.)
however, to me this has not so much to do with charity, but with muslims getting involved in/with the larger community. so i see charity as the vehicle here for something else.
in other words, raising the public profile in positive directions to offset the crap the media tells them.
is it true that it doesn't matter what people think? i believe that muslims can't afford this luxury. people get killed by "what people think". i think it would be good if muslims join all kinds of civic projects. when people have worked together and gotten to know the other people, they are no longer as "other" as they were before. once a person has had the opportunity to get to know muslims, it should be less easy for them to demonize an entire group by the actions of the few.
a lot of non-muslims have never really known a muslim and can't see the human being under the hijaab, for example!
i think it would be excellent if musims could get involved in civic projects with the community at large.
i realize that this would be pretty difficult for many - the natural tendency would be to just avoid interacting as much as possible, and that would probably be my reaction also, in all honesty.
but here i am one more non-muslim trying to tell muslims what they should do. :hiding:
I know you have only the best of intents snake.. I was practicing displacement regrettably-- it is a method I use to chanel my anger, when I read statements from unconscionable liars, implaying whom we choose to give or not give our charity to!... I don't like undoing people's good deeds by mentioning them, but I personally know of a Muslim guy who gave nearly $25,000 to charity.. I know because he kept insisting I take some time off to contact the embassyor get him the number of an official of that country as means for him to reach a group of people who needed help due to a tragic event that had occured... and no it doesn't make the ten o'clock news, and if they had their way, they'd probably turn it into something sinister like he is sending money to terrorists...

What a Muslim does, he does unto God, and for the love of God and humanity... it isn't done to win a popularity contest... maybe I have just developed thick skin through the years, or attended enough autopsies to feel, that all man is, but ego and nothing fills his eyes except the earth as my grandmother Allah yer7mha used to say.... denoting the final act of burial!
peace!

syilla
08-19-2007, 02:14 AM
sis purest are right,

Actually the muslims communitee have done quite alot but not gaining much popurality. Usually the west only look at the bad side of the muslims. I'm not sure whether they are trying to sabotaj the muslims or not. Ask the media.

Did you know everywhere the Mercy (organised by Malaysian) emergency clinic goes everybody would love them because majority of doctors are muslims. How they don't trust the UN.

http://www.mercy.org.my/read.php?id=97

syilla
08-19-2007, 03:01 AM
sorry...last year news.

Local Muslims reach out to homeless
Posted on 10/17/2006

Local Muslims reach out to homeless
Food, clothes aid the less fortunate
The Boston Globe
October 15, 2006
By Michael Levenson

They handed out bags of apples, bagels, granola bars, and raisins, hats, socks, sweatshirts, rain ponchos, and, for the children who came with arms outstretched, toy cars.

This was the first annual Humanitarian Day for the Homeless, an event organized by Boston-area Muslims to feed and clothe the homeless during the holy month of Ramadan.

Muslims observe Ramadan by praying, performing acts of charity, and fasting from sunup to sundown, to draw them nearer to Allah and to remind them of the hardships the poor endure.

The event yesterday was a way to put into action the principles of Ramadan, participants said.

In a gymnasium at the Tobin Community Center in Roxbury Crossing, 350 volunteers, from local mosques, colleges, and community groups, presided over tables stacked high with food, clothing, and toys donated by local businesses.

Hundreds of homeless men, women, and children streamed past, collecting the goods in bags. In a room downstairs, volunteers performed free health screenings, testing people for high blood pressure and diabetes. Organizers said they expected to serve 2,000 people over the weekend.

Mona Ahmad of Malden was helping to distribute bottles of water, and urging people who had come by to return with friends.

"I just wanted to do something good, especially during the holy month of Ramadan," said a man who gave his name as Ahmad, 33.

"We're supposed to help those who are less fortunate all year 'round, but . . . during Ramadan it really brings it out," he said.

Similar events are taking place this weekend in 14 cities across the United States, said one of the chief organizers, Nataka Crayton of Roxbury.

"The great thing today is people, without politics, without personal agendas, can come together to focus on a goal and accomplish it," Crayton said. "It's really amazing what committed people who are willing to help other people can do."

Those who had come to take advantage of the free food and clothing said they were thankful for the kindness they had been shown. "I really appreciate it," said Robert Smith , 52, who lives in the city's shelter on Long Island. He walked out yesterday with several bags of clothing and snacks.

"It's a great thing to see these people get out there and help us -- the homeless," Smith said.

Volunteers had spread word of the event through Boston's homeless shelters. Many who came yesterday said they had seen posters advertising Humanitarian Day in their shelter. Volunteers were organized through the Islamic Society of Boston, the Association of Muslim Professionals, Islamic Relief, and other groups.
source

snakelegs
08-19-2007, 03:02 AM
I know you have only the best of intents snake.. I was practicing displacement regrettably-- it is a method I use to chanel my anger, when I read statements from unconscionable liars, implaying whom we choose to give or not give our charity to!... I don't like undoing people's good deeds by mentioning them, but I personally know of a Muslim guy who gave nearly $25,000 to charity.. I know because he kept insisting I take some time off to contact the embassyor get him the number of an official of that country as means for him to reach a group of people who needed help due to a tragic event that had occured... and no it doesn't make the ten o'clock news, and if they had their way, they'd probably turn it into something sinister like he is sending money to terrorists...

What a Muslim does, he does unto God, and for the love of God and humanity... it isn't done to win a popularity contest... maybe I have just developed thick skin through the years, or attended enough autopsies to feel, that all man is, but ego and nothing fills his eyes except the earth as my grandmother Allah yer7mha used to say.... denoting the final act of burial!
peace!
you're talking about the charity itself. i'm talking about trying to change peoples' misconceptions about muslims. it doesn't need to be charity - it could be anything involving the community at large. my feeling is that muslims sometimes become too insular and maybe that's not a good thing.(even tho that is probably exactly what i would do).
i know it isn't about a popularity contest - it could better less if people don't like muslims. on the other hand, if people hate/fear them, they might just get over it if they got to actually know a few. and that possibly, could save lives.
oh well, maybe it's a complete waste of time, anyway. :unhappy:

جوري
08-19-2007, 03:45 AM
you're talking about the charity itself. i'm talking about trying to change peoples' misconceptions about muslims. it doesn't need to be charity - it could be anything involving the community at large. my feeling is that muslims sometimes become too insular and maybe that's not a good thing.(even tho that is probably exactly what i would do).
i know it isn't about a popularity contest - it could better less if people don't like muslims. on the other hand, if people hate/fear them, they might just get over it if they got to actually know a few. and that possibly, could save lives.
oh well, maybe it's a complete waste of time, anyway. :unhappy:
Agreed.. but you know nearly two out of every 6 people on this earth is a Muslim... It is hard for me to believe that someone has never come across a Muslim in their lives, through the work place, resturant, park, vacation spot or whatever.. I feel it is the ones who don't know Muslims at all that are living in a bubble.. we are a pretty friendly bunch :okay: actually to be honest and maybe it is just me and I thank God for it, most people I have come across are very cultivated, refined, and open to others, and I have to believe that goodness is the general nature of people in spite of media and politics (I hope).. I think if all else fails all you need to do is smile... (helps if you have dimples) :D

Those who are not open to other cultures, religions people are indeed an unfortunate bunch :muddlehea
I just think the net affords people the anonymity to be despicable which is a down side... but on the up side, look how many people and religions one has come to learn of here.. on an Islamic forum of all places I learned of 'odinism' :confused:

KAding
08-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Actually, it is obligatory for Muslims to give of their income to charity
Obligatory Muslim charity (zakat) cannot be given to non-Muslims though. So depending on her religion, the child in your photo, may nor may not get the obligatory Zakat.

... in fact I posted several hadiths about it... thing is you should give so that your right hand doesn't know what your left hand has parted with; not seeking approval of the public.. it isn't about what people think.. frankly to hell with people, I guarantee 100 yrs from now, none of us will be here-- in order for charity to count, it has to come from the heart not on MSNBC... I believe only hypocrites like to advertise... oh look I am a hollywood star and I am adopting and giving to the poor Africans... tell me why is there a man walking around with 72 billion, while a little girl looks like this?

peace!
My position on charity has always been that it doesn't matter if people are self-congratulating when they give money. All that matters is how much money actually ends up in the hands of those that need it. If stroking some egos means more charity, then I'm all for it!

snakelegs
08-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Agreed.. but you know nearly two out of every 6 people on this earth is a Muslim... It is hard for me to believe that someone has never come across a Muslim in their lives, through the work place, resturant, park, vacation spot or whatever.. I feel it is the ones who don't know Muslims at all that are living in a bubble.. we are a pretty friendly bunch :okay: actually to be honest and maybe it is just me and I thank God for it, most people I have come across are very cultivated, refined, and open to others, and I have to believe that goodness is the general nature of people in spite of media and politics (I hope).. I think if all else fails all you need to do is smile... (helps if you have dimples) :D
Those who are not open to other cultures, religions people are indeed an unfortunate bunch :muddlehea
I just think the net affords people the anonymity to be despicable which is a down side... but on the up side, look how many people and religions one has come to learn of here.. on an Islamic forum of all places I learned of 'odinism' :confused:
you live in a cosmopolitan city and i live in california. there is a lot of country in between. and yes, i am sure that there are many americans who have never known a muslim personally.
as for what you said about the net, i couldn't agree more - it is a wonderful place to interact with people all over the world. but many people only go on the net to send e-mail and have no idea what all is Out There.
ok. enough on this.
i didn't mean to hijack this thread, - my apologies to the OP.

جوري
08-19-2007, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Obligatory Muslim charity (zakat) cannot be given to non-Muslims though. So depending on her religion, the child in your photo, may nor may not get the obligatory Zakat.

My position on charity has always been that it doesn't matter if people are self-congratulating when they give money. All that matters is how much money actually ends up in the hands of those that need it. If stroking some egos means more charity, then I'm all for it!
That is not true.. you give your charity to those deserving ( Allah knows best) I am not allowed to speak of whom I choose to give my charity to, But when I do give I don't discriminate.. it says specifically in the Quran.. (zho elqaraba, walyatama, walmaskeen, wa'ibn isabeel), those who are impoverished and close to you, those who are orphaned, those who pass through your town (travelers) and ask for shelter, those who are destitute and those that are prisoners of war! I don't see anyone else treating the POW's with kindness.. Pls don't teach me of my religion.. you are certainly free to believe what you will. I have no intention on making public whom I give my charity to, so long as they are deserving! If Muslims are the ones in need and I know of them, then they will get it, if it is a child with cancer at st.jude then that child will get it, if it is a poor kid in Africa, then the poor kid in Africa is the one who will get it.. give me a break!

peace!

جوري
08-19-2007, 05:47 PM
59 verses on zakat here for anyone's viewing pleasure!
Search results containing "charity" (Total Search Results:59)
Page 1/3
Al-Baqarah 2 Verse 43 1/59

Surah Name Surah Verse
Al-Baqarah 2 43
Al-Baqarah 2 83
Al-Baqarah 2 110
Al-Baqarah 2 177
Al-Baqarah 2 215
Al-Baqarah 2 263
Al-Baqarah 2 264
Al-Baqarah 2 270
Al-Baqarah 2 271
Al-Baqarah 2 273
Al-Baqarah 2 274
Al-Baqarah 2 276
Al-Baqarah 2 277
Al-Baqarah 2 280
An-Nisaa 4 77
An-Nisaa 4 114
An-Nisaa 4 162
Al-Maidah 5 12
Al-Maidah 5 45
Al-Maidah 5 55

Recitation Al-Husari Al-Hudhaifi

And be steadfast in prayer; practise regular charity; and bow down your heads with those who bow down (in worship).

plus tons in Ahadith for anyone who cares to go through the USC compendium of Muslim texts here

The query [charity] generated the following matches:
here

Complete Sahih Bukhari

001.002.007 001.002.024 001.002.044 001.002.047 001.002.050 001.002.054 001.003.063 001.010.501 001.010.503 001.011.629 001.012.804 001.012.810 002.015.081 002.023.383 002.023.444 002.024.491 002.024.492 002.024.494 002.024.496 002.024.497 002.024.498 002.024.500 002.024.501 002.024.502 002.024.503 002.024.504 002.024.505 002.024.506 002.024.507 002.024.508 002.024.509 002.024.510 002.024.511 002.024.516 002.024.517 002.024.518 002.024.520 002.024.521 002.024.523 002.024.524 002.024.525 002.024.529 002.024.534 002.024.540 002.024.557 002.024.562 002.024.566 002.024.567 002.024.568 002.024.569 002.024.570 002.024.571 002.024.572 002.026.765 002.026.775 002.026.776 003.027.014 003.031.119 003.031.121 003.031.156 003.031.157 003.034.271 003.034.279 003.034.280 003.036.473 003.038.511 003.041.591 003.046.715 003.046.719 003.047.750 003.047.751 003.047.752 003.047.753 003.047.763 003.047.764 003.047.772 003.047.792 003.047.798 003.047.804 003.048.843 003.050.895 004.051.002 004.051.005 004.051.007 004.051.011 004.051.019 004.051.020 004.051.022 004.051.024 004.051.026 004.051.030 004.051.031 004.051.033 004.051.034 004.051.036 004.051.037 004.052.090 004.052.125 004.052.141 004.052.160 004.052.166 004.052.191 004.052.214 004.052.215 004.052.232 004.052.246 004.052.270 004.052.272 004.052.306 004.053.325 004.053.326 004.053.328 004.056.678 004.056.708 004.056.786 004.056.793 005.057.018 005.058.273 005.059.343 005.059.367 005.059.368 005.059.430 005.059.432 005.059.509 005.059.693 005.059.738 006.060.076 006.060.190 006.060.191 006.060.300 006.060.469 006.060.471 006.060.472 006.060.473 006.060.474 006.061.543 007.062.034 007.063.202 007.063.207 007.064.271 007.064.273 007.064.281 007.065.341 007.069.513 007.069.515 007.070.563 007.070.572 008.073.012 008.073.041 008.073.051 008.073.052 008.073.110 008.073.128 008.073.156 008.073.169 008.073.185 008.073.195 008.073.236 008.074.285 008.074.314 008.075.341 008.075.384 008.076.450 008.076.459 008.076.547 008.077.602 008.078.645 008.078.670 008.078.685 008.079.699 008.079.700 008.079.701 008.079.702 008.080.718 008.080.719 008.080.720 008.080.721 008.080.722 008.080.725 008.080.743 008.082.794 008.082.798 008.082.811e 009.088.236 009.089.277 009.090.342 009.092.408 009.092.426 009.093.525y 009.093.587 009.093.603 009.093.642

Complete Sahih Muslim

001.0142 001.0149 001.0223 001.0228 001.0267 002.0432 002.0433 003.0704 003.0705 003.0707 004.1239 004.1461 004.1557 004.1778 004.2052 004.2053 005.2219 005.2223 005.2227 005.2228 005.2229 005.2230 005.2231 005.2232 005.2236 005.2239 005.2248 005.2250 005.2251 005.2252 005.2256 005.2261 005.2267 005.2273 005.2275 005.2295 006.2457 006.2463 006.2464 006.2465 009.3535 009.3589 009.3590 009.3591 009.3594 010.3764 010.3765 010.3767 010.3769 010.3777 012.3949 012.3950 012.3952 012.3954 012.3955 012.3957 013.3991 013.3997 013.4002 013.4003 013.4005 018.4271 019.4349 019.4351 019.4352 019.4354 019.4355 019.4436 019.4440 019.4441 019.4442 019.4450 020.4483 020.4513 022.4856 026.5418 030.5718 030.5728 031.5933 031.6007 031.6133 032.6264 032.6362 032.6382 034.6466 034.6467 037.6670 041.6914 042.7061 042.7063 042.7078 042.7112

Partial Sunan Abu Dawud

001.0059 003.0807 008.1499 014.2707 015.2824 017.2860 017.2875 023.3550 027.3740

So again, if interested browse freely, don't be quoting me a fatwa and pass it off as if you were some exegetical and scholar on jurisprudence!

peace!

Cognescenti
08-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Poor Kading. He never saw it coming :D

The ironic thing in the US is Islamic charity has, unfortunately, probably had a negative PR value because of the indictment of the Holy Land Foundation and alleged funding of Hamas. There is also the embarrassment of the wife of the Saudi Ambassador giving aid (very likely unintentionally) to some of the 9-11 homies. I am here to say that Kading has voiced what is a general understanding in the West by those that know a little something about Islam (that Islamic charity is required to be given to fellow Muslims). It is not from racism or Islamophobia that we derived such an idea. We heard it from Muslims. If that is not true that is good news. In fact, if it is not true then it has PR value just like Snake described. It would help to limit this notion of Muslim insularity that is present in the US.

I understand the concept of giving as an obligation and that the giver should not seek public approval of this. That is really a trans-cultural and religion-spanning idea. In fact, it seems an innate ethical concept that flows from a normally functioning human brain.

BTW...criticizing a fatwa issued by an apparent figure of authority in Islam seems confusing to me. I understand there may be differences of opinion, but for folks accustomed to unequivocal doctrinal assertions from the Vatican (in the case of Catholicism, for eg.) it is confusing.

جوري
08-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Any good practicing Muslim will tell you, having Positive or negative PR is really all inconsequential... I know many amazing people both Muslim and not who don't spend their time on various forums trying to sway public opinion one way or the other., or soaking up all the crap that is dished out there... chances are, if you are ignorant, you are so by choice, and probably delighted in ignorance!
this isn't high school or a popularity contest.. what we do, we do unto God, and for the love of not wanting to see another human being struggle... personally I don't know how anyone can be happy spending $5000 for a meal in las vegas while one in four children in the same country is sleeping on an empty stomach.
It is my sincere hope that Muslims every where just stop caring and loaning credence to the obscenities written or spoken of them and retain their former glory.. I do know that in time of tribulations it is best to hold on steadfast to one's moral compass...
As for fatwas, there is an Arabic/Egyptian adage that I so enjoy states '3a'alak fi rasak, ti3raf khlasak' -- if you have a good head on your shoulder, then you'll figure things out... it is clear what is written in the Quran and sunna, although I can understand where the sheikh is coming from with so many Muslims starving and hungry, exiled and living as refugees in their own country, seems only logical to want to help them out first... sort of like if your sister or brother were needy should take precedence over your cousin... nonetheless those who are manifestly needy NOW in front of your eyes and you can help, then do help!
As for Hamas the declaration that they are terrorists is a western stance... to others they are freedom fighters.. so whatever label the west wishes to cohere again is inconsequential.. frankly the whole state of Israel was started by terrorism.. it might do you some good to read of the Haganah - Irgun and the Lehi (group) (also known as Stern gang).. and various episodes of bombing even the 'British good will' ambassadors, that came to help them establish their colonial settler state.. plus the Lavon Affair, plus the bombing of SS liberty, plus the bombing of King David Hotel.. I mean please get a clue.. when you scream Hamas like it is your trump card or 911 bush's trifecta, it does absolutely nothing for me, and I imagine most Muslims out there!
I won't even get into 911 so I'll stop here and hope this topic either steers back into charity or comes to a halt!
peace!

KAding
08-19-2007, 09:08 PM
That is not true.. you give your charity to those deserving ( Allah knows best) I am not allowed to speak of whom I choose to give my charity to, But when I do give I don't discriminate.. it says specifically in the Quran.. (zho elqaraba, walyatama, walmaskeen, wa'ibn isabeel), those who are impoverished and close to you, those who are orphaned, those who pass through your town (travelers) and ask for shelter, those who are destitute and those that are prisoners of war! I don't see anyone else treating the POW's with kindness.. Pls don't teach me of my religion.. you are certainly free to believe what you will. I have no intention on making public whom I give my charity to, so long as they are deserving! If Muslims are the ones in need and I know of them, then they will get it, if it is a child with cancer at st.jude then that child will get it, if it is a poor kid in Africa, then the poor kid in Africa is the one who will get it.. give me a break!

peace!
I am here to say that Kading has voiced what is a general understanding in the West by those that know a little something about Islam (that Islamic charity is required to be given to fellow Muslims). It is not from racism or Islamophobia that we derived such an idea. We heard it from Muslims. If that is not true that is good news. In fact, if it is not true then it has PR value just like Snake described. It would help to limit this notion of Muslim insularity that is present in the US.
I'm not making this up myself.

Both Islam-qa.com and Islamonline.net tell me that the majority opinion among Muslim scholars is that Zakat (obligatory charity) cannot be given to non-Muslims unless their "hearts are inclined to Islam". I consider IslamOnline.net to be fairly moderate and even they seem to accept it is the majority opinion among scholars. As usual Islam-QA goes a bit further and is more resolute in its opinion. In fact, they claim that even non-obligatory charity should be given to "Muslims first and foremost".

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544900
format_quote Originally Posted by IslamOnline.net
Thus, it appears that the issue is controversial among scholars. The view of the majority is based on the general meaning of the hadith prohibiting giving Zakah to non-Muslims, while the view of other scholars revolves around the generality of the Qur'anic verse on Zakah as well as the interpretation of the hadith as referring only to some specific people.
http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=32...;20non-Muslims
format_quote Originally Posted by Islam QA
It is permissible to give charity to non-Muslims and this action will be rewarded, if they are in need of it, but they should not be given the obligatory charity, i.e. zakaat, unless they are those whose hearts are to be softened (i.e., they are close to embracing Islam).

Muslims should seek first and foremost to give their charity to their Muslim brothers who are in need, and there are plenty of them. And Allaah knows best.
http://www.fatwaislam.com/fis/index.cfm?scn=fd&ID=244
format_quote Originally Posted by FatwaIslam.com
However, a Muslim cannot give his Zakat to a non-Muslim unless it is hoped that by receiving help, the non-Muslim might decide to accept Islaam or at least to refrain from harming Muslims (when he has a reputation for harming Muslims).
I don't see how your link contradicts that. Besides, we are only talking about Zakat here. You are allowed to give other forms of charity to non-Muslims apparently. At least, that appears to be the majority opinion. If you can find scholars who believe otherwise I'd gladly hear it. These three websites are the only online fatwa sites I know. Perhaps they are unreliable, I don't know.

جوري
08-19-2007, 09:19 PM
So, if a person gives charity to non-Muslim organizations, he is not allowed to deduct that from the amount he has to pay for the obligatory Zakah. He still has to pay full Zakah from his wealth annually according to the nisab."

Sort of like you paying tax the 'Charge against a citizen's person or property or activity for the support of government'-- this is the obligation under an Islamic state.. giving charity is obligatory upon every Muslim 4% of your income, however giving beyond that for the sake of Allah which isn't compulsory is very much encouraged..
How many people do you honestly know give to charity as mandated by religious law, as well as for the sake of Allah and the love of humanity?

I still don't understand why I'd have to share with you anything that you 'would gladly hear it'? I don't think ultimately we are to answer to you! and again, I maintain people dedicate a life time to studying Islamic jurisprudence, cutting and pasting from a website, doesn't make you an expert!

peace!

Cognescenti
08-19-2007, 09:22 PM
... chances are, if you are ignorant, you are so by choice, and probably delighted in ignorance! ..
I hope you meant "you" in the American-English collective sense (as in the more proper English-English "one"). If not, I would ask is that kind of crap really necessary?

this isn't high school or a popularity contest.. what we do, we do unto God, and for the love of not wanting to see another human being
struggle...
No, it isn't a popularity contest, but then again there is the constant refrain that Muslims are not understood in the West. Perhaps they aren't. One can either whine and complain or one can do something about it or one can ignore it. I think you made yourself clear. Bad choice if you were to ask me, which I am quite sure you wouldn't

BTW...I didn't say I agreed with the indictment of the Holy Land Foundation, I was just explaining the negative impact it had on American perceptions of Muslim giving. I like you idea though. Muslims stop caring about the "West" and the "West" can go back to not caring about Muslims. :thumbs_up Brilliant!

As for fatwas, there is an Arabic/Egyptian adage that I so enjoy states '3a'alak fi rasak, ti3raf khlasak' -- if you have a good head on your shoulder, then you'll figure things out... it is clear what is written in the Quran and sunna, although I can understand where the sheikh is coming from with so many Muslims starving and hungry, exiled and living as refugees in their own country, seems only logical to want to help them out first... sort of like if your sister or brother were needy should take precedence over your cousin... nonetheless those who are manifestly needy NOW in front of your eyes and you can help, then do help!
Hard to argue with the local needs first idea. Aren't there a lot of Muslims who don't read Arabic? Seems to me they will need some guidance. They can't exactly search the USC library.

I am not here to defend Israel. Ben Gurion or Sharon never once asked me for any advice.

Cognescenti
08-19-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm not making this up myself.

Both Islam-qa.com and Islamonline.net tell me that the majority opinion among Muslim scholars is that Zakat (obligatory charity) cannot be given to non-Muslims unless their "hearts are inclined to Islam". I consider IslamOnline.net to be fairly moderate and even they seem to accept it is the majority opinion among scholars. As usual Islam-QA goes a bit further and is more resolute in its opinion. In fact, they claim that even non-obligatory charity should be given to "Muslims first and foremost".
I know you are not making it up. I had the same understanding as you.

جوري
08-19-2007, 09:31 PM
I hope you meant "you" in the American-English collective sense (as in the more proper English-English "one"). If not, I would ask is that kind of crap really necessary?
I didnt mean YOU... why are you so paranoid?.. I think I am very straight fwd with my convictions!

No, it isn't a popularity contest, but then again there is the constant refrain that Muslims are not understood in the West. Perhaps they aren't. One can either whine and complain or one can do something about it or one can ignore it. I think you made yourself clear. Bad choice if you were to ask me, which I am quite sure you wouldn't
What difference would it make? If you like Flourless Mocha Torte but I keep imposing on you a Tiramisu.. chances are you can't convince your taste bud of something they are not likely to find palatable!

BTW...I didn't say I agreed with the indictment of the Holy Land Foundation, I was just explaining the negative impact it had on American perceptions of Muslim giving. I like you idea though. Muslims stop caring about the "West" and the "West" can go back to not caring about Muslims. :thumbs_up Brilliant!
I have come to learn that you derive great satisfaction from simplistic conclusions.. so kudos...

Hard to argue with the local needs first idea. Aren't there a lot of Muslims who don't read Arabic? Seems to me they will need some guidance. They can't exactly search the USC library.
I don't exactly understand what that is to denote?

I am not here to defend Israel. Ben Gurion or Sharon never once asked me for any advice.
I don't think they will either... :hmm:

peace!

KAding
08-19-2007, 09:36 PM
So, if a person gives charity to non-Muslim organizations, he is not allowed to deduct that from the amount he has to pay for the obligatory Zakah. He still has to pay full Zakah from his wealth annually according to the nisab."

Sort of like you paying tax the 'Charge against a citizen's person or property or activity for the support of government'-- this is the obligation under an Islamic state.. giving charity is obligatory upon every Muslim 4% of your income, however giving beyond that for the sake of Allah which isn't compulsory is very much encouraged..
How many people do you honestly know give to charity as mandated by religious law, as well as for the sake of Allah and the love of humanity?
Indeed, nothing stops Muslims from giving charity to non-Muslims. But you are not allowed to consider it Zakat.

The only reason I bothered to comment on your post is because you said "Actually, it is obligatory for Muslims to give of their income to charity...". This was in the context of giving help to non-Muslims. Yet, this obligatory charity cannot be spend on non-Muslims. I see you have now accepted that.

I still don't understand why I'd have to share with you anything that you 'would gladly hear it'? I don't think ultimately we are to answer to you!
Who ever claimed you had to? You may of course ignore me, that is your prerogative.

and again, I maintain people dedicate a life time to studying Islamic jurisprudence, cutting and pasting from a website, doesn't make you an expert!
No, of course I am not an expert :confused:. Thats why I cut and paste what Islamic scholars say about it in fatwas. These are not just 'some websites'. These are legitimate fatwas from respected scholars posted on well-known Islamic websites. I wouldn't dare to quote directly from the Qu'ran or Hadith's, since I know the matter is way to complex for a layman like me. So I try to learn from Islamic scholars and read the occasional fatwa. IMHO that is the best approach for a non-Muslim to take while learning about Islam.

I don't doubt you maintain close contact with people who dedicate their life to Islamic jurisprudence, but that doesn't change the fact that it made no sense for you to start talking about Zakat in the context of charity to non-Muslims.

Cognescenti
08-19-2007, 09:44 PM
I didnt mean YOU... why are you so paranoid?.. I think I am very straight fwd with my convictions!
Yes. Past experience led me to believe you may have meant the singular pronoun..but enough of annoying grammar issues. Sorry about that.

I have come to learn that you derive great satisfaction from simplistic conclusions.. so kudos...
See what I mean?

I don't exactly understand what that is to denote?
I meant what about non-Arabic-literate Muslims? How do they form their opinions if not from the advice of an elder (or being told what to think)?

جوري
08-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Indeed, nothing stops Muslims from giving charity to non-Muslims. But you are not allowed to consider it Zakat.
So? I don't understand your point really?... what do you care what I consider it? to you rather the person it is given to lest you pull a paranoid on me too, it is a charitable contribution.. I can only assimilate this as a woman making up her obligatory fast for days missed in Ramdan because of 'lawful reasons', what I mean by that is, whatever days you've missed you must make up, however it is stated that if you fast 6 days in sha'wal is as if you have fasted an entire year, but those 6 days won't count toward the days you've missed even though it counts as an entire year in its own right... or if you make obligatory salat (prayers) and sunna prayers.. most just happily oblige by what is mandatory and don't go further, it is all too dependent on your abilities... So long as needy people get what they need that is all that matters, how it counts in my religion is not really a point for a debate!

I don't see what you have taught me here from the fatwa sites?
I hope we are clear!

peace!

جوري
08-19-2007, 09:55 PM
I meant what about non-Arabic-literate Muslims? How do they form their opinions if not from the advice of an elder (or being told what to think)?
well.. I wonder about them too, but it is your religious duty to seek knowledge... had a smiliar conversation about this with my old man the other day.. reminiscing about a shiite lady who had lost her daughter in the Lebanon/Israel war.. she was dedicating her daughter as she lay dying to sayeda zeinab (daughter of the prophet PBUH).. which is a big big big no no NO in Islam That is shirk no different than a christian who prays to Jesus (p).. and I knew she was a very simple lady, I was really concerned how people can live and die in ignorance... All I can say is, I hope they observe their religious duties by learning, I hope those who are learned seek them out and teach them, and if all else fails, I believe that God has assigned himself the law of mercy and certainly knows who is refractory out of innocence and who is learned yet chooses to remain ignorant!

peace!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.