/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Bid to improve Muslim relations

Uthman
08-15-2007, 05:02 PM
A campaign has been launched to improve relations between Muslims and the wider community in Stoke-on-Trent.

The My Stoke project has been funded by government money aimed at tackling both Islamic extremism and Islamaphobia.

The council said it wanted to help Muslims and non-Muslims feel connected to their neighbours.

Councillor Mohammed Pervez said there were no problems with violent extremism in the city, but it would be "stupid" to assume "it couldn't happen here".

He said: "By involving and consulting religious leaders, women and young people we hope to reach out to a significant proportion of the city's Muslim population.

"This is one way of helping make sure that those people who might be tempted by extremist, anti-social and un-Islamic arguments will see instead that inclusion and cooperation are the only way forward."

The scheme intends to forge strong relationships between the council and police with community and faith groups and Mosques.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/6947416.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
wilberhum
08-15-2007, 05:16 PM
I like these kind of things. :thumbs_up I think they are our best hope. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Cognescenti
08-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Ya gotta love the names of English cities..Stoke-on-Trent:D How many Stokes are there?

This sounds like a good idea.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.