/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Another American

backbencher
08-16-2007, 05:20 AM
Marhaba!

Yes, I'm in the US Military, & no, I'm not a Muslim. As you can see, I've been studying Arabic, but as you'll realize very quickly, I'm not as fluent as a native 5 year old. Ana barif schweit arabi.

Look forward to learning a lot about Islam & the Muslim world here. No, I'm not looking to convert from my agnostic theism or pre-creedal xianity or whatever else you want to call it. Yes, I expect to deploy to Iraq @ some point, and I hope the Arabic I learn and the views I learn here will help me in my mission.

Look forward to meeting you.

Gig 'em,

backbencher

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
08-16-2007, 05:52 AM
Ahlan wa Sahlan wa Marhaban Bikom!

backbencher
08-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Shukrun.

Gig 'em,

backbencher

north_malaysian
08-16-2007, 06:29 AM
Inta min wilaya Texas huh!!

You should meet our Mr. Woodrow... he served in American army too...:shade:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdul-Raouf
08-16-2007, 06:38 AM

*~Sofia~*
08-16-2007, 07:55 AM
Peace!

welcome to the LI community, i do hope u have a very beneficial stay.
im sure u will learn alot here too, there are many topics discussed here, im sure u'll find something that interests you :)
Explore the forums, take part in the discussions,and do enjoy! :D

Peace out

Neelam92
08-16-2007, 12:26 PM
welcome to the forum

Joe98
08-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Do they speak Arabic in Iraq?????

=

Woodrow
08-16-2007, 01:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by backbencher
Marhaba!

Yes, I'm in the US Military, & no, I'm not a Muslim. As you can see, I've been studying Arabic, but as you'll realize very quickly, I'm not as fluent as a native 5 year old. Ana barif schweit arabi.

Look forward to learning a lot about Islam & the Muslim world here. No, I'm not looking to convert from my agnostic theism or pre-creedal xianity or whatever else you want to call it. Yes, I expect to deploy to Iraq @ some point, and I hope the Arabic I learn and the views I learn here will help me in my mission.

Look forward to meeting you.

Gig 'em,

backbencher

Not only Another American, a fellow Texan. Gig em horns. There are a number of Americans on the forum. At least 3 of us from Austin. But, I believe I am the only Austin Muslim here.

Yep, Texans can be Muslim too.

Actually Bro. North_Malaysian made a slight error. Not former Army-- Former USAF.

Long time back, ex-F86 Jockey so that can give you some reference as to how long ago that was.

Welcome to the forum, hopefully you will find it helpful and I sincerely pray that Iraq will be just a memory of the past, before you get deployed to Iraq. Iraq can be and was a beautiful country and full of wonderful people. But, war and anarchy, make it difficult to see the country and meet the people as they really are.

Arabic is widely spoken in Iraq and I believe it is the most common language. But, the spoken Arabic there differs considerably in pronunciation from the Saudi or Syrian dialects. The written Arabic is identical tho.

Woodrow
08-16-2007, 01:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98

=
In Iraq they do. In Iran they speak Farsi

backbencher
08-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Neelam,

How is the Muslim community in Leeds doing since the London bombers?

Woodrow,

I wake up every morning hoping to hear that sweetness & light has broken out in the Middle East, but it's not happened yet. Pleased to meet a Sabre t-sip.

Shukrun to all posters.

Gig 'em,

backbencher

Uthman
08-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Welcome Backbencher.

Looking forward to your contributions. :)

Neelam92
08-16-2007, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by backbencher
Neelam,

How is the Muslim community in Leeds doing since the London bombers?

backbencher
the muslim community has acually changed since the london bombings but its going alright.
i mean people do give mulsims strange looks or sometimes even shout horrible comments but muslims jut ignore it.

Like in my school alot has changed like the teachers have for expamle some teachers will go and help other kids with work but not muslim kids u know what i mean.

tomtomsmom
08-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Welcome my fellow American!!!!! I hope that you enjoy your stay here. I have a dear family friend in Iraq right now. He taught himself arabic with his mp3 player. Apparently it has proved invaluable to his unit. He is the first one in the door and keeps everyone from getting shot at!!! It helps alot to be able to communicate.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-16-2007, 04:03 PM
lol ahlan wa sahlan marhaban :D

wats Gig 'em? lol

Pk_#2
08-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Ello Backbencher :),

Welcome to Li,

Be good :D

"Gig 'em, Aggies!"

Peace be upon those who follow guidance.

north_malaysian
08-17-2007, 03:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

Actually Bro. Malaysian Knight made a slight error. Not former Army-- Former USAF.
who's brother Malaysian Knight?

north_malaysian + Muslim Knight = Malaysian Knight? :okay:

north_malaysian
08-17-2007, 03:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98

=
I think Iraqi Arabic is the closest to the Standard Arabic... so it's easier to understand the dialect than Lebanese, Khaliji, Egyptian or Moroccan.

Woodrow
08-17-2007, 12:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
who's brother Malaysian Knight?

north_malaysian + Muslim Knight = Malaysian Knight? :okay:
What did I do? I combined members and made a new unknown member.

That should have been Bro. North_Malaysian. some days I can not walk and chew gum at the same time.

Pk_#2
08-17-2007, 12:18 PM
What did I do? I combined members and made a new unknown member.

That should have been Bro. North_Malaysian. some days I can not walk and chew gum at the same time.
haha bro Malaysian geezah u've been a victim of 'neologism' :-\

:D

Kittygyal
08-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Hi my fellow American dude.

I LOVE ME YARD USA ALL ZE WAY! :shade:

backbencher
08-21-2007, 03:17 AM
Ibn Abdul,

Marhaba. http://aggietraditions.tamu.edu/gigem.shtml

Gig 'em,

backbencher

backbencher
08-21-2007, 03:43 AM
Neelam,

It's disturbing to hear that about the teachers. What has changed in the Muslim community itself?

Gig 'em,

backbencher

barney
08-21-2007, 03:54 AM
Long time back, ex-F86 Jockey .
OMG!

You Flew Sabers! Respect dude!:thumbs_up

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.