/* */

PDA

View Full Version : white wine vingegar..spirit vinegar?

*~Sofia~*
08-20-2007, 05:08 PM
:sl: brothers and sisters,

I had a question: are we muslims allowed to have white wine vinegar or spirit vingar? Wanted to buy some coleslaw and potato salad today, and when i checked the ingrediants, it had one or both of the above... so opted against buyin em! :(
anyone know the answer?

jazakhallah in advance :)

w'salam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MinAhlilHadeeth
08-20-2007, 09:44 PM
:salamext:

Perhaps this may make things clearer, ukhtee:

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=2283&ln=eng&txt
http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=901&ln=eng&txt
http://islamtoday.com/show_detail_se...main_cat_id=30

Thread moved.

*~Sofia~*
08-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Salams,

jazakhallah bro Abudullah and sister Muwahahhidah for the above links and helping a sis out.. :)

erm im still a bit confused as to if we're allowed to eat it the food product or not.

sister, the third link you have given, i read it and from what i understand we are allowed to eat it as long as the food product has been made by unbelievers but not allowed to eat it if it has been made by muslims..is this correct?

but then in the other link, it says that even in small amounts, no intoxicants are allowed to be ingested..

would you be able to clarify for me please? would be very much appreciated..

Jazakhallah in advance :D

w'salam

believer
08-22-2007, 10:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *~Sofia~*
:sl: brothers and sisters,

I had a question: are we muslims allowed to have white wine vinegar or spirit vingar? Wanted to buy some coleslaw and potato salad today, and when i checked the ingrediants, it had one or both of the above... so opted against buyin em! :(
anyone know the answer?

jazakhallah in advance :)

w'salam
Salamualaikum,

I am not going to attempt to answer your question...

I haven't encountered anything in the Qur'an that would prohibit us from taking vinegar?

Unless the vinegar is not halal food or if it has been derived from alchohol, I don't see any reason why not?

However, all foods are allowed except dead animals, flesh of the pig, and those that are not halal.

Vinegar is made from sugar cane, apple cider, and other fruits... does it have alchohol in it? It is just acid isn't it?

I am sure there's plenty of answers in Google.

Salaam....

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SirDemonic
08-22-2007, 10:54 AM
I have vinegar my bro told me it's halal even tho i don't like vinegar much

*~Sofia~*
08-22-2007, 02:39 PM
salam,

vinegar is ok to consume isn't it.. i was wondering about white wine vinegar and spirit vinegar. do these types of vinegars actually contain alcohol?

jazakhalla but still confuzzled :?

w'salam
:)

'Abd al-Baari
08-22-2007, 02:45 PM
:sl:

After reading the answers that sis Al Mumianh provided i think you are allowed to have wine/spirit vnegar as long as it turned into vinegar naturally and was not changed through a process..hope that is right and makes sense Inshallah

Allah knows best

*~Sofia~*
08-22-2007, 02:55 PM
salam,

^ ohhh ritee, jazakhallah khair brother, gt an answer at last! :D

w'salam

noorahmad
08-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Assalam walaikum to all

I haven't read and visited the given links, but
Chapter DCCCXXXII, Sahih Muslim

Anas reported that Allah's messenger(may peace be upon him) was asked about the use of Khamr from which vinegar is prepared. He said : No(It is prohibited)

note: khamr is refered as being any intoxicant.In this case it is wine.

It is on the basis of this hadith that Imam Shafi'i and other Ulama deem the use of such vinegar as forbidden which is prepared from wine. But Imam Auza'i, Imam Laith and Imam Abu Hanifa are of the pinion that there is no harm in he use of it, for when the wine is turned into vinegar, its very nature changes and it ceases to be an intoxicant and thus there is no prohibition on its use.

Well I've just the text of the book and its up to u to stick to wat u think is the best.
May Allah guides u, me and everyone.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.