/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Considering Islam

Michael
08-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Last week was "Islam Awareness Week" at the university. I went to a seminar, which was about New Zealand converts to Islam. The main reason I went was because one of my friends was there, and she had converted to Islam over a year ago. I had considered Islam before she converted, and I went to the local Mosque a few times, and even learned how to pray in Arabic. However, I then discovered Jesus Christ and the Christian faith. I was baptized in the Roman Catholic Church, and later I found the Eastern Orthodox Church, where I am now. I had read critical attacks on Islam from sites like --- and --- and I believed them.

However, at Islam Awareness Week, I talked to Muslims on campus, and I asked them about several of these issues. They told me to be sure I got my information from the right sources. On Sunday, there was a general forum where a sheikh from Wellington came to answer questions. I asked him about some of the things I was concerned about, mainly the violent verses in the 9th surah of the Qur'an. He said that those were referring to wartime, not killing innocent people in peacetime.

So, my dilemma is this: I feel drawn to Islam, but I'm not sure about it. I really like the prayer, and the modest dress for women. However, my girlfriend (we intend to get married) is an Orthodox Christian, and she told me that under no circumstances will she convert to Islam. I love her with all my heart and I wouldn't do anything that would destroy our relationship. I couldn't love anyone else but her. I'm really confused at the moment.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Roasted Cashew
08-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Senior Muslim members will help you out soon. Anyways, Muslim men are allowed to marry chaste Christian and Jew women without them having to convert first. Ya, there are some rules and regulation to follow though. I read them earlier at another website but can't recall all of em.

One of em is that: Your children should be raised as Muslims.

glo
08-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Greetings Michael

Looks to me like you are a God-seeker! You are on a spiritual journey, and you have dipped into different Christian denominations over the last year. But you are still unsure - have you found the true path or are you still searching?

I cannot give you any answers. Neither will I make an argument for Christianity - after all this is an Islamic forum, and I guess you are here for a reason ...

My advice to you is this:
This is not about what other people think - not even your girlfriend.
This is not about what other people wear or how they pray.
This is about where you stand with God, and what he is saying to you!

To hear God's directions to you, you need to spend time in peace and quiet and pray, pray, pray.

Once you know God's will for you, either whatever attracts you to Islam will pale into insignificance, or your girlfriend's wishes will become secondary.
Once you know God's will for you, you'd do well to obey him.

Be patient, be faithful, and trust in God!

May God bless you and guide you on your journey.

Peace

'Abd al-Baari
08-21-2007, 11:31 AM
:sl:

Mashallah its really good that your considering Islam...but unfortunately as you said your girlfriend is Orthodox Christian. Maybe you should explain Islam to her and maybe if she has any questions you could post them here and Inshallah (God Willing) someone will be able to help answer them.

If that fails then i don't think you should stop yourself from thinking about islam and as a last resort i think Islamically it is allowed for men to marry christian women but not vice versa

Btw how does she feel about just you converting and not her? would that put your relationship in jeopardy too?

May Allah swt continue to guide you and ease your problems..Ammen

Plz forgive me if i said anything wrong!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
UmmSqueakster
08-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Welcome to the forum! This is just about the only place online that I am not rahma :nervous:

If you have questions about specific things on those sites, I believe you can just summarize the arguments, but not link to them. This forum likes to preserve harmony and a positive atmosphere.

NYCmuslim
08-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Asslamu-Alaikum brother!

Im happy to hear that you are considering reverting to Islam. As for your situation, the best thing that you can do for your girlfriend is to teach her about Islam. Im guessing she doesn't want to convert because she has somehow related Islam to violence due to misunderstanding (what most non-believers think). If you can show her what Islam is really all about then, Inshallah, she will be drawn to it.

Tell her about who Allah is. How He is the Creater and the All Powerful, and none can be worshipped except Him. Next, explain to her purpose of His messengers: they were chosen by Allah spread the message about the right way to live and to worship Allah. Explain the significance of Muhammad (pbuh) as the last messenger and the Quran as the final revelation for MANKIND, not arabs only. Also explain to her about the Hereafter. How on Judgement Day everyone will be raised up from the dead and will have to answer Allah for all the deeds they have done in this world. How the ones who worshipped Allah and lived a kind, righteous life will go to heaven and the rejecters, who rejected Allah as One aswell as his messenger, and lived a life of greed and sin will go to Hell.

The best way for all non-believers to find Islam is through an open mind and most importantly, KNOWLEDGE!

If you have any more questions I urge you to post back here. The kind brothers and sisters on this board will be happy to help. I pray to Allah that your girlfriend will find the truth.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Hey Michael, welcome to LI firstly and congrats to u for looking into Islam :).
Well the most I can say to you is that one should always put their trust in Allah. When you sacrifice something for His sake, he blesses you with something better in return or who knows, maybe your girlfriend will even consider Islam InshaAllah(God Willing). You have to really think about it, who do you love more? Allah is your provider, your sustainer and will always help you. You just need to trust in Him. And if your girlfriend really cares about, she'll consider at least looking into it. You shouldnt rush her into anything but rather slowly help her to understand Islam. Be an example to her and show her what it means to be a Muslim. I hope everything works for u, InshaAllah(God-Willing).

Peace

جوري
08-21-2007, 04:35 PM
peace Micheal
I read what you wrote, and I think confusion is natural when you are on the path of discovery... unfortunately though you may find many companions to guide you along the way, the path of virtue is in fact a solitary retreat...
The only thing that I can advise is to learn as much as you can, and that is certainly true for anything in your life that should hold such a measure of permanence and this life altering..

Also.. I'd not center my beliefs on how I am being perceived by a loved one.. true love is accepting, kind, eternal and wouldn't hurt you for not wanting to go against forces that drive you...perhaps the fruits of your quest will be a beacon and an arousing inspiration for your girl friend to see what beauty lies therein Islam thus having hopefully a positive impact on her...
When I am inundated with thoughts, I try to take it one minute at a time, then one hour at a time, then one day at a time and so on.. remember that old adage (time is there so that life doesn't happen all at once) certainly rings true and is a measure of console that, though this moment is a bit overwhelming, the next one might be better and the one after that is even better and more enlightening... Just make your intentions true to God, that you wish to seek him and ask him to guide you on the path of the righteous
Ameen

peace!

- Qatada -
08-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey Michael. :)

God/Allah says (translation of the meaning):
“O My slaves, all of you are astray except those whom I guide, so ask Me for guidance, and I will guide you. O My slaves, all of you are hungry except those whom I feed, so ask me for food and I will feed you. O My slaves, all of you are naked except those whom I clothe, so ask Me for clothing and I will clothe you. … O My slaves, if the first of you and the last of you, your humans and your jinn, were to stand on a single plain and ask of Me and I were to give each one what he asked for, that would not cause any loss to Me greater than what is lost when a needle is dipped into the sea.”

Narrated by Muslim (2577).

If you're in a state of confusion right now, ask God/Allah to guide you to what is loved by Him. Pray to Him to guide you, and those who you love to the path which is beloved to Him. Since it is He who guides the hearts, and it's He who truly understands all that we are going through. This should be your main objective right now.

You can check this link to get abit more basic info on Islam;

http://beconvinced.com

In regard to you being in love, i think one of the best things you can do right now is place the affairs in the Hands of Allah/God. It is permissible in Islam for a Muslim male to get married to a chaste Christian or Jewish woman, but a Muslim is not permitted to take girlfriends or boyfriends since this opens the doors to other evils such as illicit intercourse, children born out of wedlock, which can usually cause a great deal of friction between people, aswell as cause confusion and hardship among the members of society.

So right now, the best thing for you to do is to pray to God/Allah sincerely to guide you and the ones you love to what is beloved to Him, and at a practical level - it would be great if you could meet up or get in contact with the people who you met in the Islam Awareness Week, and i'm sure that God willing they will be able to help you in regard to what you should do in your situation.

Please keep us updated. Thanks. :)

Peace.

6sman
08-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Salamu alaikum,

On the issue of marriage with an Ahle-Kitab [People of the book(Bible)], yes it is lawful for a muslim man to marry a Christian woman. At the same time, the Qur'an in no un-certain terms prohibits marrying Mushriks [Polytheists, idolators];

Do not marry unbelieving women (idolaters), until they believe: A slave woman who believes is better than an unbelieving woman, even though she allures you. Nor marry (your girls) to unbelievers until they believe: A man slave who believes is better than an unbeliever, even though he allures you. Unbelievers do (but) beckon you to the Fire. But Allah beckons by His Grace to the Garden (of bliss) and forgiveness, and makes His Signs clear to mankind: That they may celebrate His praise. [Al-Qur'an 2:221]

Now brother Michael, you have described the non-muslim sister as an Orthodox Christian which probably implies that she is a Trinitarian and believes Jesus[p] to be GOD or as having similar attributes. Thus she would fall into the category of Mushrikeen, those who share other deities with GOD.

Bro you've also said that she under no circumstances will she convert to Islam. But if she really loves you then whats the problem in accepting Islam for your sake, should she not also be as willing as you?

Why does she not accept Islam? You've pointed to the Hijab and perhaps she dis-likes wearing it. But that should'nt stop her entry into Islam since Hijab falls into the category of Taqwa [virtuousness, righteous deeds] and it has nothing to do with the basic fundamentals of faith in Islam. If you feel the Hijab is a stumbling block towards her entering into Islam then its your duty to remove it. Indeed wearing the Hijab is compulsory upon all woman and its neglection is sin but its nothing compared to Shirk, sharing other deities with Allah[s]. Insha'allah after reverting to Islam she will abandon her non-Islamic activities and discover the beauty of Hijab.

But the most probable reason i think for her refusal to accept Islam is her commitment to the Orthodox Christian faith. In this case, my advise is that you show her what Orthodox Christianity is. What is orthodox Christianity today need not be the orthodoxy of Jesus'[p] early followers. Infact, it took took approximately four centuries to assimilate what we know today as the standardized Christian concepts of the Trinity and a divine Jesus[p].

The New Catholic Encyclopedia;

There is the recognition on the part of exegetes and biblical theologians, including a constantly growing number of Roman Catholics, that one should not speak of Trinitarianism in the New Testament without serious qualification. There is also the closely parallel recognition on the part of historians of dogma and systematic theologians that when one does speak of an unqualified Trinitarianism, one has moved from the period of Christian origins to, say, the last quadrant of the 4th century. It was only then that what might be called the definitive Trinitarian dogma 'One God in three persons' became thoroughly assimilated into Christian life and thought…it was the product of three centuries of doctrinal development.
[The New Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume 14, p.295]

Lastly brother Michael, should you not be more loyal to Allah[s] who gave you life in the first place? If she turns away from Islam, would you then turn away from your LORD? Remember that this life is a is nothing more than a test for those who believe and put their trust in Allah[s], who says;

...it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not.
[Al-Qur'an 2:216]

Peace onto you!

The_Prince
08-21-2007, 11:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 6sman
Salamu alaikum,

On the issue of marriage with an Ahle-Kitab [People of the book(Bible)], yes it is lawful for a muslim man to marry a Christian woman. At the same time, the Qur'an in no un-certain terms prohibits marrying Mushriks [Polytheists, idolators];

Do not marry unbelieving women (idolaters), until they believe: A slave woman who believes is better than an unbelieving woman, even though she allures you. Nor marry (your girls) to unbelievers until they believe: A man slave who believes is better than an unbeliever, even though he allures you. Unbelievers do (but) beckon you to the Fire. But Allah beckons by His Grace to the Garden (of bliss) and forgiveness, and makes His Signs clear to mankind: That they may celebrate His praise. [Al-Qur'an 2:221]

Now brother Michael, you have described the non-muslim sister as an Orthodox Christian which probably implies that she is a Trinitarian and believes Jesus[p] to be GOD or as having similar attributes. Thus she would fall into the category of Mushrikeen, those who share other deities with GOD.

Bro you've also said that she under no circumstances will she convert to Islam. But if she really loves you then whats the problem in accepting Islam for your sake, should she not also be as willing as you?

Why does she not accept Islam? You've pointed to the Hijab and perhaps she dis-likes wearing it. But that should'nt stop her entry into Islam since Hijab falls into the category of Taqwa [virtuousness, righteous deeds] and it has nothing to do with the basic fundamentals of faith in Islam. If you feel the Hijab is a stumbling block towards her entering into Islam then its your duty to remove it. Indeed wearing the Hijab is compulsory upon all woman and its neglection is sin but its nothing compared to Shirk, sharing other deities with Allah[s]. Insha'allah after reverting to Islam she will abandon her non-Islamic activities and discover the beauty of Hijab.

But the most probable reason i think for her refusal to accept Islam is her commitment to the Orthodox Christian faith. In this case, my advise is that you show her what Orthodox Christianity is. What is orthodox Christianity today need not be the orthodoxy of Jesus'[p] early followers. Infact, it took took approximately four centuries to assimilate what we know today as the standardized Christian concepts of the Trinity and a divine Jesus[p].

The New Catholic Encyclopedia;

There is the recognition on the part of exegetes and biblical theologians, including a constantly growing number of Roman Catholics, that one should not speak of Trinitarianism in the New Testament without serious qualification. There is also the closely parallel recognition on the part of historians of dogma and systematic theologians that when one does speak of an unqualified Trinitarianism, one has moved from the period of Christian origins to, say, the last quadrant of the 4th century. It was only then that what might be called the definitive Trinitarian dogma 'One God in three persons' became thoroughly assimilated into Christian life and thought…it was the product of three centuries of doctrinal development.
[The New Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume 14, p.295]

Lastly brother Michael, should you not be more loyal to Allah[s] who gave you life in the first place? If she turns away from Islam, would you then turn away from your LORD? Remember that this life is a is nothing more than a test for those who believe and put their trust in Allah[s], who says;

...it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not.
[Al-Qur'an 2:216]

Peace onto you!
i disagree with you, the brother is more than free to marry the Christian because although they are mushriks they have still been given the title of ahlul kitab and have been distinguised from other non believers. the Quran does allow Muslims to marry Christians and Jews:

“Made lawful to you this day are . . . chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time . . .” [al-Maa’idah 5:5].

the verse you quoted from surah baqarah excludes the Christians and Jews....

here is a fatwa from a sheikh:

With regard to the ruling on marrying kaafir woman, it is haraam, unless she is from the people of the Book – Jewish or Christian. A Muslim may think that every woman who lives in America or Europe is a Christian, or that if she lives with the Jews then she is Jewish, but this is wrong. Just as there are those who are Muslim in name but are in fact secular or communist, that also happens with them too, and on a greater scale – there are many who are of the religion of their country in name, without that having any reflection in reality. Hence the one who wants to marry a non-Muslim woman must ascertain that the conditions for that are met in the woman. They are:

1. She should be of the people of the Book – Jewish or Christian – even if she adheres to her deviant religion, because these are the ones whose woman Allaah has permitted us to marry. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time when you have given their due Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wedlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girlfriends”

[al-Maa'idah 5:5]

As for atheist, Buddhist and Magian (Zoroastrian) women, it is not permissible to marry them. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not marry Al-Mushrikaat (idolatresses) till they believe (worship Allaah Alone). And indeed a slave woman who believes is better than a (free) Mushrikah (idolatress), even though she pleases you”

[al-Baqarah 2:221]

2. She should be chaste, not engaging in zina (fornication) or having boyfriends, because Allaah says in the verse from al-Maa'idah quoted above: “chaste women.”

3. The Muslim should be in charge. So it should not be stipulated that they get married in the church, or that the children should follow her religion, or anything else in which she and her religion are given precedence at the expense of his religion. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

Michael
08-22-2007, 01:56 AM
When I say she is an Orthodox Christian, that means that she is preparing to be baptized in the Eastern Orthodox Church, the first Church of Christ that existed before all the other denominations (Catholic, Anglican, Baptist, Pentecostal, etc) came into existence. The Orthodox Church has laid down strict rules with regard to marriage: An Orthodox Christian cannot marry a non-Orthodox Christian. That is where the problem lies.

I was telling her yesterday about the Qur'an and the mathematical miracles in it, and she seemed to be quite receptive of it. However, she thought that the Qur'an could have been demonic instead of being from God.

Michael
08-22-2007, 05:42 AM
She is an Orthodox Christian meaning she is preparing for baptism in the Eastern Orthodox Church (the earliest church). The Orthodox Church has forbidden any marriage between Orthodox and non-Orthodox. That is why she said that our relationship must end.

Her commitment to the Orthodox Christian faith is what is keeping her from accepting Islam. She hasn't read the Bible, however she is reading the Philokalia (a collection of writings from early Christian saints), which is a classic of Orthodox Christian spirituality. Before she started reading the Philokalia, she didn't seem that enthusiastic about Orthodoxy, but this book has changed her.

I know I should be more loyal to God than my girlfriend, but her and I are planning to get married. I love her with all my heart, and I don't think that I could be without her or love anyone else. The couple of times we've had arguments and almost broken up, the feeling that I've felt is so horrible I can't even describe it. Plus I love her and care for her. She has been treated really badly by her family, who have mentally and emotionally abused her. I really care about her, and I'm the only person she really feels close to. If we broke up, she would have nobody. I don't think I could go through with this.

Michael
08-22-2007, 07:59 AM
I mean by saying "Orthodox Christian" that she is preparing for baptism in the Eastern Orthodox Church, the first Christian Church founded by Christ's Apostles.

The Orthodox Church has forbidden marriage between Orthodox Christians and non-Orthodox. That is why she has said our relationship would have to end.

I know I should be more loyal to God, however, I love my girlfriend with all my heart and losing her would totally destroy my life. The two times that we almost broke up made me feel so upset and depressed that I don't think I could deal with it. Plus, her family haven't treated her very nicely, and I'm the only one she trusts and is really close to. I'm not going to leave her, as then she would have no-one.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-22-2007, 10:21 AM
people normally leave the best for last but micheal this is the best trust me and who knows if you will have the opportunity to leave it till last..

micheal if you believe in paradise and feel that islam is indeed the true religion then you should know that you will be getting a better deal,

as for your girlfriend... i know its hard to stay away (im not saying give it up, who knows what the future could bring)...

but wat i am saying is that:

The hardest Tasks without a doubt bring the sweetest rewards...

جوري
08-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Why would a demonic book be telling her to worship God? it would seem a little self-defeating.. unfortunately that was one of the ploys of the church, when they couldn't explain the Quran, they deemed it from the devil.. anyhow perhaps you might want to forward this book to her, it is by a former priest, a quick read.. he dedicated 20 years of his life to fighting against Islam but he wanted to do it the proper way by correctly studying it, so as to be able to write the best rebuttal, he ended up converting instead!
the amazing Quran By Dr. Gary Miller
http://thetruereligion.org/modules/w...p?articleid=90

peace!

6sman
08-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Salamu alaikum,

Like to begin with commenting on PurestAmbrosia's point that a Shaitan[Devil,Demon etc] would not inspire a book like the Qur'an which describes it as: ...an avowed enemy! [Al-Qur'an 12:5] Allah[s] further says that: Satan makes them[humans] promises, and creates in them false desires; but satan's promises are nothing but deception. [Al-Qur'an 4:120] Let not the Evil One hinder you: for he is to you an enemy avowed. [Al-Qur'an 43:62]

The sister's un-reasonable conclusion reminds me of an instance in the Bible where Prophet Jesus[p] was accused by the Pharisees of casting out devils with the prince of devils. Jesus'[p] answer was supreme: And if Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then will his kingdom stand? [Mr 12:26]

Coming back to our main concern, brother Michael, you've seemingly put yourself in precarious situation. You want to be a muslim but wish to marry a non-muslim girl who obviously isn't as willing as you. Furthermore, her denomination does not allow her to marry out-side her religious class and you can't live without her. Faced with such difficulties and a consequent head-ache, my friend what on earth am i suppose to do in order to help you?

Its good Alhamdulillah that you are willing to become a muslim but un-aware of what Islam truely means. The word itself comes from silm [submission] applies submission to GOD's Will. A muslim is one who submits in total obedience to Allah, worships, loves, adores and glorifies no one as Him alone. As it seems, you're leaning to the opposite direction, your love for a created being has over-taken the Love for GOD, something to which you must put a halt at once. Your Allah[s] says: Seest thou such a one as taketh for his god his own passion (or impulse)?... [Al-Qur'an 25:43] It is a necessity that you do not allow anything or anyone to come between you and your LORD, this is our priority.

I would like some clarification on a point which leaves me perplexed. You've said that the sister hasn't even read the Bible, instead relies upon a forth/fifth century document known as the Philokalia. Now how is person suppose to be an orthodox Christian or even an orthodox muslim for that matter if he or she hasn't even read the Bible or the Qur'an? It seems astonishing to me that she bases her belief in Jesus[p] upon a literature writen in the forth century by people who themselves were probably Trinitarian believers, and not refering to the orignal and a far more authentic source on Jesus'[p] life, ministry and his teachings i.e. the Bible.

With the limited options we have remaining, it would be advised that you marry the sister as a Christian and afterwads, if Allah so wills, you may truely open your heart for Islam, start practicing its basic and simple fundamentals and convey the message to your spouse. Even if she doesn't will to leave her faith and religion, i think what we can expect from her and the least she can do for you is allow you to practice your's. And as we've read above, it is law-ful for a muslim man to marry an Ahle Kitab [People of Bible], woman.
By the way, i won't debate the Fatwah of your anonymous Sheikh brother Prince, not that i agree.

Salamu alaikum!

Sarada
08-31-2007, 04:05 AM
Dear Michael,

I am very empathetic to the dilemman on the horns of which you find yourself. I think that the right answer will come to you if you follow Glo's advice and "pray, pray, pray", sincerely, with devotion, and an open mind and heart. Sometimes prayer is regarded as talking to God, but it is really communication with God. LISTENING TO GOD, not to other people, will give you the answer.

[QUOTE=Michael;817926]
And Idol worshipers are people who adore statues or idols made with human hands, like the Hindus do. The Bhagavata Purana states that the divine can incarnate in any of eight material elements: stone, wood, metal, earth, paint, sand, jewels or the mind. The Hindu idols are worshipped as the very gods themselves. That is idol worship.

One more thing, Michael, you are not doing yourself any favours by maligning people of other religions about which you know very little. I suggest that you keep on topic.

HINDUS DO NOT WORSHIP IDOLS AS GOD OR "THE VERY GODS THEMSELVES"

Perhaps we can discuss this on the comparative religion forum.

Michael
09-02-2007, 09:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarada
One more thing, Michael, you are not doing yourself any favours by maligning people of other religions about which you know very little. I suggest that you keep on topic.
Actually, I have done quite a bit of reading about Hinduism. I have read the first few chapters of Bhagavad Gita, some of the first canto of the Bhagavata Purana, the first book of the Ramayana, a little of the Shiva Purana, and stories about the various Hindu "gods", especially Krishna. I actually identified as a Hindu for a point in my life and prayed to the Hindu "gods". I was also involved with Hare Krishna for almost a year, and attended services at their temple. So as a result of this, I actually know more about the theology and teachings of Hinduism than my girlfriend, who was raised a Hindu in Malaysia.

HINDUS DO NOT WORSHIP IDOLS AS GOD OR "THE VERY GODS THEMSELVES"
I posted the relevant quote from the Bhagavata Purana, showing how the divine can incarnate in those eight forms. When I visited the Hare Krishna temple, I was told that the "deities" (statues) were really God/Krishna. They were woken with prayers, bathed, dressed in special clothes, had food prepared for them, had a special ritual called the 'arati' offered to them at various times during the day, and put to sleep at night by various prayers.

If this isn't idol worship, then I don't know what is.

SATalha
09-02-2007, 06:18 PM
The very best i can say to you is same as Brother Qatada, actively seek the help of God and you will find your answers Inshallah.:D

Sarada
09-02-2007, 06:37 PM
"Condemn none: if you can stretch out a helping hand, do so. If you cannot, fold your hands, bless your brothers, and let them go." ( a prominent, 19th century thinker)

Salaam Michael,

I fold my hands, ask God to bless you, and let you go.

Isambard
09-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Before you go dumping your ladyfriend for Islam, just make sure to you are well read on the subject. I remember being in a similar situation and almost making some irreversable mistakes because I waited and put off considering the consequence and reasons behind my actions.

Abdul Fattah
09-02-2007, 07:00 PM
My advice would be, don't chose a religion like you chose breakfast cereals. It's not about which one you like, or which one your girlfriend is ok with. It's the one you think is true that you should pick.

NoName55
09-03-2007, 04:26 AM
Al Majd Quran Channel
Link 1 Link 2 Link 3
Brought to you by Islam Box and AswatAlIslam.net

Michael
09-03-2007, 05:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
My advice would be, don't chose a religion like you chose breakfast cereals. It's not about which one you like, or which one your girlfriend is ok with. It's the one you think is true that you should pick.
Yes, I know that. The devil has created a multitude of false religions so that you can pick one that you like. However, I'm searching for the truth. The Qur'an seems to be a perfect book, so it seems that Islam could very well be true.

However, I got a copy of Malise Ruthven's Islam in the World today, and it seems to have an anti-Islamic spirit, mentioning pre-Islamic Arabian paganism and saying that hallucinations could have accounted for the visions of the Prophet (SAWS). I'm not sure if this is true. Has anyone here read the book?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Lol, the life of the Prophet(saw) is too specific, detailed and extensive for it to just be hallucinations.

Michael
09-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Yeah, and hallucinations can't explain the scientific miracles of the Qur'an. The book also claimed that Muhammad (SAW) could have known how to read and write.

IbnAbdulHakim
09-04-2007, 12:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Michael
mentioning pre-Islamic Arabian paganism and saying that hallucinations could have accounted for the visions of the Prophet (SAWS). I'm not sure if this is true. Has anyone here read the book?
yes but this ignores the fact that the Prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam had come with countless facts in the Quran, these accusations such as a hallucination or madman, i ask you then why is it that all the information is correct? quite a bizzarre chance for such a large quantity of information to hold 100% correct dont you think?

Also hallucinations normally cause people to act in a way which goes against morality etc, but the visions our prophet saw and received inspired him to act as the best man to ever walk on this planet, thus i say such visions can only be from Allah.

Muhammad
09-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Hello Michael,

However, I got a copy of Malise Ruthven's Islam in the World today, and it seems to have an anti-Islamic spirit, mentioning pre-Islamic Arabian paganism and saying that hallucinations could have accounted for the visions of the Prophet (SAWS). I'm not sure if this is true. Has anyone here read the book?
I have not read the book, although Malise Ruthven seems to be known for writing on "Islamist terrorism" and Jihad. He also appears to have been the first writer to use the term "Islamofascism" (in The Independent on 8 September 1990).

An important point needs to be borne in mind when reading Western writings on Islam. Islam has been the object of studies by 'orientalists', who are non-Muslim scholars that have achieved considerable repute as authorities on Islam. Over the last two centuries, they have published an extensive amount of literature on the subject. With regards to such people, it has been said that:
Nevertheless, however worthy their labours may have been, particularly in the historical and and philological fields, they have contributed little to a better understanding of the Muslim religion in the Christian or post-Christian milieu, simply because they have failed to arouse much interest outside their specialised academic circles. One is forced also to concede that Oriental studies in the West have not always been inspired by the purest spirit of scholarly impartiality, and it is hard to deny that some Islamicists and Arabists have worked with the clear intention of belittling Islam and its adherents. This tendency was particularly marked for obvious reasons in the heyday of the colonial empires, but it would be an exaggeration to claim that it has vanished without trace.
[written by the Swiss journalist and author, Roger Du Pasquier]
Furthermore:
As is the case with many things, being aware of the problem is half the battle. Once a sincere seeker of the Truth is aware of the long standing misunderstanding and hostility between Islam and the West and learns not to trust everything which they see in print authentic knowledge and information can be gained much more quickly. Certainly, not all Western writings on Islam have the same degree of bias they run the range from willful distortion to simple ignorance and there are even a few that could be classified as sincere efforts by non-Muslims to portray Islam in a positive light. However, even most of these works are plagued by seemingly unintentional errors, however minor, due to the author's lack of Islamic knowledge. In the spirit of fairness, it should be said that even some contemporary books on Islam by Muslim authors suffer from these same shortcomings, usually due to a lack of knowledge, heretical ideas and or depending on non-Muslim sources.

This having been said, it should come as no surprise that learning about Islam in the West especially when relying on works in European languages has never been an easy task. Just a couple of decades ago, an English speaking person who was interested in Islam, and wishing to limit their reading to works by Muslim authors, might have been limited to reading a translation of the Qur'an, a few translated hadeeth books and a few dozen pamphlet-sized essays. However, in the past several years the widespread availability of Islamic books written by believing and committed Muslims and the advent of the Internet have made obtaining authentic information on almost any aspect of Islam much easier. Today, hardly a week goes by that a new English translation of a classic Islamic work is not announced. Keeping this in mind, I would encourage the reader to consult books written by Muslim authors when trying to learn about Islam.

[Abu Iman Abd al-Rahman Robert Squires]

On the topic of the biography of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), it is not a new subject amongst orientalists. They have studied it with a view to cast aspersion on the life of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and discrediting his personality.
The coming of wahy (inspiration)to Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) is the central affair of his life. His claim to Prophethood and Messengership of Allah, the genuineness of the Qur'an as Allah's Words and status of Islam as a divinely communicated religion, all rest upon this affair. Naturally, therefore, the subject of wahy has received the orientalists' major attention and they have advanced a good deal of assumptions and theories about it. In general, the aim of all these theories and assumptions is to show, by one device or another, that the texts of the revelations making up the Qur'an were Muhammad's (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) own composition. The most that the professedly objective orientalists concede is that Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) might have been sincere in his conviction that he was inspired by God; nevertheless the texts he gave out as revelation were the products of his own mind and thought.

It is understandable that no Jew or Christian, nor, for that matter, a non-Muslim, could conscientiously admit that Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) was God's Messenger and that the Qur'an is God's Words without sacrificing his conviction or without being sceptical about his own faith. What is special with the orientalists, however, is that they do not leave the matter there by simply denying divine origin for the Qur'an and divine commission for Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). They proceed further than that and endeavour to show, from the Islamic sources and texts, that that really is the case. And in so far as they do so, they in effect assume the role of missionaries of their own faiths and their writings degenerate in most cases into sophisticated anti-Islamic propaganda in the garb of historical research.

[Excerpted with slight modifications from Sirat Al-Nabi (pbuh) and the Orientalists by Muhammad Mohar Ali]

Orientalists purport various "explanations" to make sense of the authorship of the Qur'an, one of these revolving around the idea that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) was a madman. A number of fanciful descriptions have been suggested, such as his being an "epileptic" possessed by devils; having "trances", "fits", "ecstatic periods", "reveries of profound meditation", "swoons connected with morbid excitability of mental or physical constitution", suffering from "falling disease", "Hypochondriacal disease", being "lost in dreamy, pleasant thoughts" or a "hypnotic state" and perhaps a wild assortment of many others. Yet orientalists themselves have had to reject these claims as false, as mentioned from the same book as above:
The theory of epilepsy or of any such ailment cannot be sustained neither on historical nor on rational and medical grounds. It is evident from all the available accounts that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) possessed and retained till his death an uncommon physical and mental health and resourcefulness. Nor did he ever exhibit any sign of debility and degeneration of body and mind which, by the common verdict of past and present medical science, are the unavoidable effects of epilepsy and hysteria. Not that this fact is quite unknown to the protagonists of the insinuation.

Modern authors merely took these same ideas from the disbelievers of old, as Allah, Exalted be He, informs us in the Qur'an, (interpretation of the meaning):

Do they not reflect? There is no madness in their companion (Muhammad pbuh). He is but a plain warner.
[7:184]

Nay! he (Muhammad pbuh) has come with the truth (i.e. Allâh's Religion - Islâmic Monotheism and this Qur'ân) and he confirms the Messengers (before him who brought Allâh's religion - Islâmic Monotheism).
[37:36-37]

So this should give us some insight into the claims of Western writers within the appropriate context, where there is much misunderstanding, mistranslation and distortion of information, as well as inconsistency and reiteration of the same assumptions, theories and allegations with no supporting evidence. It further demonstrates the need to consult books written by Muslim authors when trying to learn about Islam, such as the following list of recommended reading:

http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...resources.html

Regards.

kwolney01
09-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Muslim men can marry nonmuslims women..but I think it would be best if she at least respected it...as long as she does that I think everything would be fine..I wish you the best

NoName55
09-15-2007, 07:49 PM
edit :zip:

MustafaMc
09-16-2007, 01:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
incorrect! We are not allowed budhists,hindus,shinto, Pauline Christians and any other pagans are Not permissible

only ladies from the Ahl-e-kitaab (only Jewish and Nazerene) are halal
:w:
I am sorry, brother, but I would have to respectfully disagree that "Pauline Christians" are not permissable. You may correct me with a quote from the Quran or an Hadith that discriminates between Pauline and Nazarene Christians.

MustafaMc
09-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Yes, I know that. The devil has created a multitude of false religions so that you can pick one that you like. However, I'm searching for the truth. The Qur'an seems to be a perfect book, so it seems that Islam could very well be true.

It seems to me that you are a seeker of Truth with an open mind. I hope that you find what you seek.

A huge element of any religion is faith which in my view is deep conviction of the heart that a set of beliefs regarding the "Unseen" is true. My faith that Islam is the True Religion is based on my acceptance of the Quran as the literal Word of our Creator - Allah - and my acceptance of Muhammad as the last Prophet and Messenger of Allah. To a certain extent deciding on which religion to follow calls for an active decision about what one chooses to believe is true of the Unseen. This is a decision that has eternal ramifications and is not to be taken lightly.

I personally advise against a Muslim marrying a Christian. I was a Muslim when I married my wife who was a Christian at the time. I went for about 15 years of marriage as a lukewarm Muslim that only occassionally prayed and never fasted. Although my wife has never said one word against my faith, I believe that I would have grown more as a Muslim if I had married a Muslimah. In June 2001, I made the decision to practice Islam regardless of the personal costs and regardless of what the Western world said about Islam. In 2003, thank Allah, my wife became a Muslimah. So in the end it has worked out for the best, but I still advise against it.

Again regarding what some people say about Islam, you will have to decide for yourself whether you want to believe what is said in these books or what the Quran says.

bewildred
09-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Hello Michael,

Your confusion is natural and so very human. You are in a state of transition. Why don't you take it step by step? May you be welcome under Islam's peaceful flag. You'll discover the wonders and humility that being muslim can bring to your soul. You could be the good example for your gf.

Dear brother, life is about choices. The most heart-breaking ones can be the most enlightening. Okay, I'm gonna give you one cheap advice "FOLLOW YOUR.....REASON!!!"

Bewildred

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.