/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Cultural thing?

barney
08-21-2007, 02:31 AM
After completely reading the Hadiths again, i noticed a theme that runs through both them and the bible.

It's got me pondering if this thing is a Cultural quirk or something that was Time-related to the ancient middle east.

In many many places in the bible and hadiths it will state something like.

"Fred came up to Bill and said "My car wont start-it just makes rumbeling noises when i turn the ignition"
Bill looked at him and replied "go to the garage"
Fred came up to Bill again and said "My car wont start-it just makes rumbeling noises when i turn the ignition"
Bill Said to him "Go to the garage"
A third time Fred came and said "My car wont start-it just makes rumbeling noises when i turn the ignition"
Bill said "There may be something loose in the alternator"

The theme is: a sentance or question or reply is made multiple times, it's often followed with the same answer.

Is this way of speaking something that was really done? Is it still a common occurance today? is it embelishment to reiterate a point for scriptual purposes?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
08-21-2007, 05:32 AM
I'm guessing the repetition is a memory aid. You see that a lot in early Buddhist writing, too, so it certainly isn't unique to the Middle East.

Pk_#2
08-21-2007, 05:49 AM
Yeah i guess it's to make it more memorable, for emphasis etc.

Like the Qur'an has many repetitions, rhyme, similies etc...it helps you remember, it sticks to your brain cells lol

Hmm inay?..Peace.:D

Woodrow
08-21-2007, 05:50 AM
Just speaking from what I am seeing in the Hadith. Most hadith are narrated by several narrators. What you may be reading is not a repetition by one person, but the eyewitness accounts of what was said of an event by a person but witnessed by several people and each witness repeating what he/she had seen and/or heard.

Verification by different witnesses that it was actually said or done.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.