/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamists calls for Gwen Stefani concert to be cancelled

north_malaysian
08-21-2007, 02:33 AM
Malaysia's Islamic opposition calls for Gwen Stefani concert to be canceled.

KUALA LUMPUR (AP): Malaysia's Islamic opposition party demanded Friday that Gwen Stefani be forbidden from performing in the country, saying the US pop singer would corrupt Malaysia's Muslim majority youth.

Kamarulzaman Mohamed, an official to the fundamentalist Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS), said Stefani's planned concert in Kuala Lumpur later this month would promote promiscuity, worsening an existing "teenage social problem".

"The issue is that Gwen Stefani brings in her bad image. The way she dances, the way she dresses - it's not proper," he told The Associated Press. "When our teenagers see this, it will induce them to behave improperly."

Earlier Friday, members of the party, the only opposition party to rule a state in Malaysia, handed a two-page memorandum to the organizer, Maxis Communication Berhad, to call of the Aug. 21 concert. They also submitted a memorandum to the Kuala Lumpur municipal authorities.

Their protests, however, is unlikely to have effect, and preparations for the concert are well-underway, and Stefani has promised to dress modestly.

Following a similar protest by the 10,000-member National Union of Malaysia Muslim Students earlier, organizer Maxis pledged that Stefani will follow the local code of ethics for foreign artists, which bans the unnecassary baring of skin.

In Malaysia, ethnic Malay Muslims form about 60 percent of the population, with ethnic Chinese and Indians of Christian, Buddhist and Hindu faiths forming most of the rest.

Maxis, the country's biggest mobile phone company, hopes to attract some 9,000 people to the concert, which is part of the 37-year-old singer's Sweet Escape world tour that also includes Australia, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and Thailand.

The Culture, Arts and Heritage Ministry said enforcement officers would meet Stefani before the concert to remind her about guidelines and monitor her stage act.

Under the official guide to performing in Malaysia, a female artist needs to cover from the top of her chest to her knees including shoulders. No jumping, shouting or throwing objects on stage or at the audience is allowed. Performers can also not hug or kiss and their clothes must not have obscene or drug-related images or messages.

A local company, which organized a Pussycat Dolls concert last year, was fined 10,000 ringgit (US$2,857) after the all-girl group was found to have flouted decency regulations.

Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...en-Stefani.php

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
barney
08-21-2007, 02:42 AM
Well even if she wears a Hijab and Naquib, she cant do anything other than stand on the stage, cos she isnt allowed to dance and Music is islamically banned as well.

Hot as Gwen might be, I wouldnt shell out money to see a stationary silent hijabi standing on a stage. :)

Heh...beat me to the edit!

north_malaysian
08-21-2007, 02:53 AM
GWEN - I AM NOT A BAD GIRL

By: Noorsila Abd Majid

KUALA LUMPUR: Gwen Stefani arrived here for her one-night concert with a message to her critics: "I am not a bad girl".

"What they said about me is totally the opposit of what I believe in and on how I see myself. I have a lot of respect for different cultures and religions. Plus, I'm a mother.

"Of course, I have certain moral values that I uphold. In America, they see me as a good role model," said the former lead singer of No Doubt, who is now making wave as a solo singer.

Ahead of her arrival here for the Sweet Escape concert at the Putra Stadium tonight, there has been ripples of discontent and protests by some groups, who felt that she would be a bad influence on young Malaysianswith her dressing and stage act.

Interviewed by Galaxie last night, however, she was donning a denim jacket, which covered a round-neck T-shirt. She was also wearing a long-flared white skirt.

The ensemble was from her LAMB collectionwhich she personally designs.

However she refused to be photographed, saying that she looked drab without her make-up and stage clothing.

"I have been in the music industry for 20 years and this is the first time that I'm facing opposition from the people who have misunderstood me," the 37-year-old American pop star said at her Shangri-la Hotel here.

Accompanying Gwen are her rocker husband Rossdale (of British group, Bush) and their 15-month-old son, Kingston, who she held in her arms during the interview.

It turned out that Gwen has got some Malaysian connection - Rossdale's stepmother is a Malaysian.

"I've made a lot of changes to my concert just for Malaysia. It's a major sacrifice that I have made as an artiste. But I'm willing to do it 'cos I want my fans in this country to see me perform here.

"I will wear jackets over my tops and leotards underneath my skirts or dresses," added Gwen, who had earlier met with Culture, Arts and Heritage Ministry deputy secretary-general Datuk Mohammed Mohd Daud.

"I will not mess up. I've got all the guidelines in my e-mail and I've been reading them so much that they've been drilled into my mind," she said.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...638&sec=nation

syilla
08-21-2007, 02:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Well even if she wears a Hijab and Naquib, she cant do anything other than stand on the stage, cos she isnt allowed to dance and Music is islamically banned as well.

Hot as Gwen might be, I wouldnt shell out money to see a stationary silent tent standing on a stage. :)
Malaysia never did banned concert, music or dancing. :mmokay:

But malaysia did ban certain artist or musician which they think it can influence the people in a negative way.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
NoName55
08-21-2007, 02:57 AM

Hot as Gwen might be, I wouldnt shell out money to see a stationary silent tent standing on a stage. :)
what is a "Hijab and Naquib"

where? "she isn't allowed to dance and Music is islamically banned as well." since when were there any such bans in Malaysia?

why are those people demanding a cancellation if your lying comment is true?

Are Muslim women "stationary silent tent"

---

north_malaysian
08-21-2007, 02:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
Malaysia never did banned concert, music or dancing. :mmokay:
Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey, Ricky Martin, Akon, Maroon 5 and zillions of other International artists had performed in Malaysia actually...

barney
08-21-2007, 03:07 AM
Hijab is a Muslim dress.#
http://www.thehijabshop.com/jilbabs/...FSSDEAod-ES-Rg
Naquib was a typo....i mean Niqab. (the face veil)

i diddnt say that music was banned in malasia...just Islamicaly.

The stationary silent Hijabi thing might be a bit flippant, but theres plenty of talk about western girls looking like prostitutes and those threads never get a single sniff. So I'll say that, Muslim girls ...if you wanna wear a Burqua...more power to you! Good on you and i'm happy for you. No offence intended by saying "Hijab", but the intention of the burqa is to conceal the body and this is acheived by the tent like folds of the Burqua. it's just a statement of fact.
it looks like a hijab and it is Supposed to look like a hijab, thats the whole point! Concealment for modesty.

Correct me if im wrong!

NoName55
08-21-2007, 03:10 AM
so you are defending a "western prostitute" by calling a Muslimah a silent tent?

you little troll I would have been done for off topic posting, had I posted some thing stupid like that

Scruffy
08-21-2007, 03:10 AM
Shame the other 40% are deprived of experiencing Gwen's wonderfully creative talent. As she said, she's made a major artistic sacrifice, implying the show's artictic integrity's been compromised.

I guess this unfortunate situation has arisin due to the Pussycat Dolls performance. They're a formula group manufactured using former strippers, no creativity, just making a buck with a sex show packaged as pop.

I feel sorry for Gwen and her Malaysian fan base.

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-21-2007, 03:12 AM

The stationary silent tent thing might be a bit flippant, but theres plenty of talk about western girls looking like prostitutes and those threads never get a single sniff. So I'll say that, Muslim girls ...if you wanna wear a Burqua...more power to you! Good on you and i'm happy for you. No offence intended by saying "tent", but the intention of the burqa is to conceal the body and this is acheived by the tent like folds of the Burqua. it's just a statement of fact.
it looks like a tent and it is Supposed to look like a tent, thats the whole point! Concealment for modesty.

Correct me if im wrong!
I think you'd have a hard time camping in a burqa. Now please stay on topic, or i'll have to close this thread.

barney
08-21-2007, 03:16 AM
The points.
1)shes a young female Kaffir- The Kuffar are not to be admired.
2)She Gyrates on Stage and dances. Provocative behaviour is not to be watched
3) She is on stage with loud blasting music. Music is not permitted
4) She wears clingy cleavage showing tops and tight short skirts

Now tell me if that sounds like something Islamically permitted?

Mods: I apologise for the "T***" thing, very flippant . I'll replace it with Clothing intended to conceal.

جوري
08-21-2007, 03:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
what is a "Hijab and Naquib"

where?"she isnt allowed to dance and Music is islamically banned as well." since when were there any such bans in Malasia?

why ae those people demanding a cancelltion if your lying comment is true?

Are Muslim women "stationary silent tent"
perhaps he was taken by Naguib Mahfouz's Palace Walk and got his terms confused? poor barn, spends all his free time on a trope that involves incongruity between what is expected and what actually occurs with such a consuming passion, and can't seem to tie any of it together-- but he is to be condoled --things can be confusing when suffering a Wernicke's aphasia or perhaps a Broca's?-- expends a great forced effort with all these expletives-- eh maybe a combo of the two, either case, I wouldn't take barnacle too seriousely.. he loves to get a rise out of the Muslim members ( too much time on his hands perhaps?)... but what would I know? I am an obsequious servile Muslims woman after all.. ;D

:w:

جوري
08-21-2007, 03:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scruffy
Shame the other 40% are deprived of experiencing Gwen's wonderfully creative talent. As she said, she's made a major artistic sacrifice, implying the show's artictic integrity's been compromised.

I guess this unfortunate situation has arisin due to the Pussycat Dolls performance. They're a formula group manufactured using former strippers, no creativity, just making a buck with a sex show packaged as pop.

I feel sorry for Gwen and her Malaysian fan base.
I never found her all that impressive, she was a one hit wonder.. and there is something rather hokey and artificial about her.. perhaps it is all that bleached hair?.. but I suppose that is what 'gentlemen prefer'? I use that term loosely of course... Anyhow I should hope that her fan base would outgrow her at some point.. the way the rest of us outgrew madonna and the sisters of mercy sometime back when we were still 17.. Thank God she and the British empire found each other! ;D
what a perfect fit
peace!

peace!

syilla
08-21-2007, 03:26 AM

The stationary silent Hijabi thing might be a bit flippant, but theres plenty of talk about western girls looking like prostitutes and those threads never get a single sniff. So I'll say that, Muslim girls ...if you wanna wear a Burqua...more power to you! Good on you and i'm happy for you. No offence intended by saying "Hijab", but the intention of the burqa is to conceal the body and this is acheived by the tent like folds of the Burqua. it's just a statement of fact.
it looks like a hijab and it is Supposed to look like a hijab, thats the whole point! Concealment for modesty.

Correct me if im wrong!
lol...it is hard to find the malaysian muslimah wear burqa. ;D. I'm not sure where you get your facts.

barney
08-21-2007, 03:29 AM
HOI! Sisters of Mercy Rocked bells!

Now dont tell me You used to be a Goth P.A?!

BTW, i have no illusions that in malaysia there is singing, dancing, probably alcohol, and much merriment. I dont think the muslim world is full of burqua clad subservient women or that the men are all AKM weilding Terrorists. Your opinions of my opinions are based on opinions shared by neither of us. :)

The thread is about whether this concert should go ahead.
Islamicaly, i cant see a reason why it should.
Can you?

syilla
08-21-2007, 03:33 AM
Can you?
There...there...now you are being a good boy. :thumbs_up

جوري
08-21-2007, 03:37 AM
HOI! Sisters of Mercy Rocked bells!

Now dont tell me You used to be a Goth P.A?!

BTW, i have no illusions that in malaysia there is singing, dancing, probably alcohol, and much merriment. I dont think the muslim world is full of burqua clad subservient women or that the men are all AKM weilding Terrorists. Your opinions of my opinions are based on opinions shared by neither of us. :)

Can you?
I think she is an artistic abomination.. that alone is reason enough of why it shouldn't go ahead! I can't think of worst ways of spending ones money short of rolling and burning it...
and indeed I was a crazy teenager.. Thank God I outgrew it..
Now, I simply can't stand those crafty lusus naturae, I think globally they should all be locked up or sent to boot camp until they reach 21...
peace!

barney
08-21-2007, 03:38 AM
I dont like being sent into the corner! :)

I was coincidentally reading the sticky on music earlier. It stated that singing or chanting devout religious songs was permissable, so if Gwen cleans up her act, then I think she'll be ok. :)

Sisters "Temple of love" was superb, I remember back in 84 in Leeds choking my way through a haze of ciggy smoke and dry ice to watch eldritch growl his stuff. I was the guy wearing black and the black snap-brim fedora. :)

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-21-2007, 03:42 AM
:salamext:

Let's not forget what the topic is.:)

جوري
08-21-2007, 03:46 AM
^^ the topic is crazy teenagers, bad singers, and a country that I hope gets a handle on both... I guess no one can avoid others experience by sharing his or her, People have to learn on their own even when it comes with a hefty price!

barney
08-21-2007, 03:50 AM
If it was opera, (i.E Older sensible people, skilled singers) would you be in favour of it?

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-21-2007, 03:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
^^ the topic is crazy teenagers, bad singers, and a country that I hope gets a handle on both... I guess no one can avoid others experience by sharing his or her, People have to learn on their own even when it comes with a hefty price!
Almost!:) It's: Malaysia's Islamic opposition calls for Gwen Stefani concert to be canceled. So 'sister of mercy' doesn't really fit in to this thread, I'm afraid. Unless Malaysia's Islamic opposition is calling for their concerts to be cancelled aswell.

snakelegs
08-21-2007, 03:53 AM
i love living in a bubble! i never even heard of her! :)

north_malaysian
08-21-2007, 04:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i love living in a bubble! i never even heard of her! :)
the concert advertisement is on every single tv channel in Malaysia.... it's hard to ignore her here.....

The ad shows her vid clips .... which shows the clothes she wear and her dancing acts.... that's why Islamists are protesting...

from what I've remembered the Islamists protested several concerts by Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey and Pussycat Dolls....

But other artists came in and perform without protests from Islamist... maybe because those artists are not as controversial like Gwen, MJ, Mariah and P'cat dolls....

Scruffy
08-21-2007, 04:33 AM
PA, you point is taken, talent is purely subjective. What I was trying to illustrate was that there were no advanced calls (that I heard) for a prohibition of that manufactured stripper pop act Pussy Cat Dolls.The PCDs are pretty raunchy but they seemed to have caught the Malay Mutawwin napping (NM might be able to correct me here). The reaction seems pretty knee jerk considering in KL you see girls and women walking around in miniskirts and other skimpy attire.

جوري
08-21-2007, 06:15 AM
I am not familiar with anything that goes on in Malaysia least of which what they condone or allow in terms of concerts (it isn't something that would spark my interest under any circumstance anyhow) I generally tend to think of it as an activity reserved for teenage kids trying to establish their likes and find their identity (I find that many teenage girls especially, look like little run away hookers the world over-- I can't imagine the purpose of a concert of this nature for other purposes than to promote promiscuity) ..

Now,the closest I have come to Malaysia short of the wonderful warm members on board, were a few photos and article I'd read about how they wished to tackle the halal food industry to serve the 1.86 billion Muslims globally.. I thought that was rather promising and admirable, saves me from buying kosher when Halal isn't available.. other than that I have never been.. would like to some day take a tour of the far east, thus far my travels have been limited to Europe and the middle east.. Would like to take in giant cedars of Japan purchase my fill of studio Ghibli anime and just take a train ride through all these wonderful cities... So my bottom line I suppose is I don't know why Malaysia is allowing at times and condeming at other times? Guess even countries go through their phases?

peace!

north_malaysian
08-21-2007, 06:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
I am not familiar with anything that goes on in Malaysia least of which what they condone or allow in terms of concerts (it isn't something that would spark my interest under any circumstance anyhow) I generally tend to think of it as an activity reserved for teenage kids trying to establish their likes and find their identity (I find that many teenage girls especially, look like little run away hookers the world over-- I can't imagine the purpose of a concert of this nature for other purposes than to promote promiscuity) ..

Now,the closest I have come to Malaysia short of the wonderful warm members on board, were a few photos and article I'd read about how they wished to tackle the halal food industry to serve the 1.86 billion Muslims globally.. I thought that was rather promising and admirable, saves me from buying kosher when Halal isn't available.. other than that I have never been.. would like to some day take a tour of the far east, thus far my travels have been limited to Europe and the middle east.. Would like to take in giant cedars of Japan purchase my fill of studio Ghibli anime and just take a train ride through all these wonderful cities... So my bottom line I suppose is I don't know why Malaysia is allowing at times and condeming at other times? Guess even countries go through their phases?

peace!
Conclusion: We live in a weird country ... and we're confused!:exhausted

The best thing about being a Muslim in Malaysia, is that to find a halal food is not a problem at all......

Amadeus85
08-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Maybe it's because Gwen's husband plays in a band called Bush?
But seriously i think that if muslims dont want her on concert so they just dont have to go at her concerrt. As i know there are also Chinese, Hindus and christians in Malaysia, it is unfair for them to cancel this concert, only because muslims dont want,

NoName55
08-21-2007, 12:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Maybe it's because Gwen's husband plays in a band called Bush?
But seriously i think that if muslims dont want her on concert so they just dont have to go at her concerrt. As i know there are also Chinese, Hindus and christians in Malaysia, it is unfair for them to cancel this concert, only because muslims dont want,
what kind of person are you? why are you so very obsessed to find hatred in every action of any Muslim any where? what is your purpose here?

S_87
08-21-2007, 01:40 PM
:sl:

arghh isnt the title islamist so annoying? cant it jsut be muslims :(

Amadeus85
08-21-2007, 01:41 PM
what kind of person are you? why are you so very obsessed to find hatred in every action of any Muslim any where? what is your purpose here?
Chill out man, it was a joke actually. Actually i even said this in my post. You should read it more carefully.

NoName55
08-21-2007, 02:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Chill out man, it was a joke actually. Actually i even said this in my post. You should read it more carefully.
ah did not realise this was, now, a comedy forum. No one tells me anything.

Amadeus85
08-21-2007, 02:04 PM
ah did not realise this was, now, a comedy forum. No one tells me anything.
It is not a comedy forum, but some people make it a comedy no doubt :hmm:

NoName55
08-21-2007, 02:08 PM
do you get paid for being our resident comic? (if so, by whom are you paid?)

Amadeus85
08-21-2007, 02:11 PM
do you get paid for being our resident comic? (if so, by whom are you paid?)
Dont you know? By Mossad. ;D

NoName55
08-21-2007, 02:13 PM
I think they should demand their money back as you are quite useless at the job

Amadeus85
08-21-2007, 02:15 PM
I think they should demand their money back as you are quite useless at the job
Ok ok you won. :skeleton: .

seeker_of_ilm
08-21-2007, 02:15 PM
:sl:

I can see no benefit from this thread staying open any longer

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.